kitchen faucet supply lines - flexible stainless steel vs chrome plated brass, or?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
URSnshn

kitchen faucet supply lines - flexible stainless steel vs chrome plated brass, or?

Post by URSnshn »

I'm having a new faucet installed in my kitchen soon. What kind of supply lines should I go for?

1) EDIT: I'm a newbie on this kind of thing. Turns out I have copper supply lines - they are in fine shape. Probably original to house (1950's or 1960's). I assume I can just use them and in fact it might be better to keep them?

2) Flexible stainless steel? If yes, what kind?

3) Chrome Plated Brass - this sounds like a better bet to me, but maybe I'm missing something?

4) Other?

What would you choose and why? I prefer to prevent a leak.

Edited to add #1.
Last edited by URSnshn on Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIGal

Re: kitchen faucet supply lines - flexible stainless steel vs chrome plated brass, or?

Post by BIGal »

I would go with the braided stainless steel cover. They come in various lengths and are MUCH easier to install than the solid brass or copper lines....and they are better than the plastic because they have the cover which should prevent ruptures. I also use a similar line for our washing machine with a diffenent pipe size. I would go to a hardware store or big box store and discuss with someone who can recommend. If you plan on installing them you may also want to consider a basin wrench if the connection is too high to reach because the sink is too close.

Of course, the other alternative is to hire a plumber and leave a headache to him/her.
Jimmie

Re: kitchen faucet supply lines - flexible stainless steel vs chrome plated brass, or?

Post by Jimmie »

I vote for flexible stainless steel. The reason: If it's in the kitchen, presumably that sink has a garbage disposal. The garbage disposal will vibrate and potentially compromise a more rigid alternative.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

flexible stainless withstands more PSI, I think they're kinda ugly but if they're under a sink who cares.

While you're in there....I'd make sure your shutoff valves are quarter turns. The cheapo football handle style ones have plastic cores, and in my experience leak and crack when you need them most :(
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
renue74

Post by renue74 »

Braided stainless steel supply lines are the norm these days for faucets where the supply is hidden by a cabinet.

I've never seen any of them leak. The weak point is angle water stop valve. As another one suggested, make sure to get 1/4 turn ball stop valves.
NewOldGuy

Post by NewOldGuy »

The braided steel are pretty standard. Those shiny chrome tubes are for pedestal sinks where they are exposed. Take your old line to store to match your valve size. There are several valve-to-faucet sizes. BTW... Many of the newer high end faucets come with 3/8" lines attached. You may need to change valves or use adapters.
LeftCoast

Post by LeftCoast »

Braided stainless steel. Here in earthquake country, we don't use rigid connectors for water lines.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Braided stainless steel.
If its hidden in a cabinet braided stainless is a no-brainer. We even put them on our toilets even tho they are exposed. Just got the small lengths and loop them once.
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

Yay, no more compression ring fittings! They now sell braided hose in long lengths for the ice maker in the fridge and sized for dish washers. Between the braided hose and Sharkbite fittings, DIY plumbing is almost fun! Of course you still have to contort yourself into small places, no way to get around that.
Topic Author
URSnshn

Post by URSnshn »

OP here. I appreciate all the replies. I am a newbie at this and it turns out I have copper supply lines - they're fine - that is no leaks. I assume there is no reason to replace them with a new water supply? Correct?
michaelingp

Post by michaelingp »

I assume you are talking about replacing an existing faucet and you're referring to the pipe/tubing/hose between the faucet and the shut off valve. The kitchen faucet I just installed (Kohler) came with supply lines that attach directly to the shutoff valve, so no need to reuse anything from the old faucet. It all depends on what comes with the new faucet, but plastic tubing or braided hose is 100 times easier to deal with than copper tubing, and it's almost impossible to screw up and have a leak. I would just follow the instructions that come with the faucet. Replacing an existing faucet is well within modest DIY skills and tools.

If you're talking about a new faucet in a new position you might be talking about the copper piping, and you need a plumber.