Where to stay in Naples, Italy and along Amalfi coast

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LookinAround

Where to stay in Naples, Italy and along Amalfi coast

Post by LookinAround » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:23 pm

I’m planning another trip to Italy w/a friend in September. This trip will include more time in Rome (4 or 5 days) then south to Naples, Capri and along the Amalfi Coast (another 4 or 5 days).

The idea was to stay in Naples and plan day trips to include:
  • Ruins at Pompeii and Herculaneum
  • Caserta Royal Palace
  • Island of Capri
  • Amalfi Coast
Any suggestions where to stay in Naples? We might also just spend a couple nights in Naples and the rest of the time somewhere along the Amalfi Coast. Any suggestions on places along the Amalfi Coast?

Any other general travel tips or suggestions things to do / see also welcome. (we thought of renting a car to drive along Amalfi coast but general comments indicate it’s a bit nerve wracking for the driver along a narrow, winding road sometimes blocked by tour buses. Any experience?)

Super Hans

Re: Where to stay in Naples, Italy and along Amalfi coast

Post by Super Hans » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:26 pm

I stayed at the Excelsior Hotel in Napoli, principally because I enjoyed retracing the steps of T, Chrissy, and Paulie from an episode of the Sopranos when they took a trip to old country. I wasn't disappointed, and it was a good base for eating lots of classic pizza around town and for a Pompeii day trip. See:

https://www.eurostarshotels.it/eurostar ... lsior.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commendatori
Last edited by Super Hans on Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SillyRabbit

Post by SillyRabbit » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:40 pm

Amalfi Coast destinations are too far from Naples for multiple day trips. You will spend a large part of every day going through the same winding roads. I would recommend having a base on Amalfi Coast for part of the trip.

When we did a similar trip, we stayed in Positano and did a day trip to Ravello/Amalfi on one of the days and did overnight stay in Capri on another day (while keeping our Positano booking for that day). This worked out well, but we found Capri more developed and interesting than the other cities and decided later that it would be equally nice to make a base in Capri and make day trips to Positano/Ravello/Amalfi via the ferry.

Btw, you will probably get far more responses to your question if you post on a TripAdvisor forum.

Topic Author
LookinAround

Post by LookinAround » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:51 pm

SillyRabbit wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:40 pm
Btw, you will probably get far more responses to your question if you post on a TripAdvisor forum.
Yes. I plan on posting there too but I do appreciate all the input and knowledge of fellow Bogleheads. Thanks for yours :happy

WhiteMaxima

Post by WhiteMaxima » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:23 pm

In between. Psitano. Rent small car.

DarthEnol

Post by DarthEnol » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:26 pm

If possible, check out Sorrento. It’s beautiful.

fortfun

Post by fortfun » Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:31 pm

LookinAround wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:23 pm
I’m planning another trip to Italy w/a friend in September. This trip will include more time in Rome (4 or 5 days) then south to Naples, Capri and along the Amalfi Coast (another 4 or 5 days).

• Caserta Royal Palace
  • Island of Capri
  • Amalfi Coast
Any suggestions where to stay in Naples? We might also just spend a couple nights in Naples and the rest of the time somewhere along the Amalfi Coast. Any suggestions on places along the Amalfi Coast?

Any other general travel tips or suggestions things to do / see also welcome. (we thought of renting a car to drive along Amalfi coast but general comments indicate it’s a bit nerve wracking for the driver along a narrow, winding road sometimes blocked by tour buses. Any experience?)
I prefer using booking.com over AirBandB or VRBO. Booking generally has the most generous cancellation policy. Our strategy is to get something good booked right away on booking.com (9.0+) and then we keep our eyes open for new/better places that become available. Using this strategy, we were able to book an amazing place in Venice and another in Cinque Terre. These were two newly remodeled places that were not available when we first secured our housing.

We preferred traveling by train, even though it was a bit more expensive. Buy your tickets far in advance for best pricing.

Apply for and use a Charles Schwab ATM card. All international ATM fees refunded!

SomedaySoon

Post by SomedaySoon » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:46 pm

We stayed in the Grand Hotel in Sorrento... it was fabulous and I'd highly recommend it and did a day trip to Positano. You can do a day trip to Capri, or plan to stay there.

We didn't make it to Naples, although the train station was enough.

VanGogh

Post by VanGogh » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:11 am

I liked Sorrento. Stayed at the Hotel Antiche Mura. It's a charming hotel, full of antiques. You can easily walk around the town and walk to the beach.

travellight

Post by travellight » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:13 am

I also don’t recommend Naples. I was there recently and survived a purse snatching. Sorrento is a good base. I love Capri (do the hike), and Anacapri and Amalfi coast is great. Try to get to Ravello although all 3 main towns are gorgeous.

38,000 ft

Post by 38,000 ft » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:34 am

Yeah do not stay in Naples. Not worth it. Super sketchy. Unless you really have a need to be there I wouldn’t even spend any time there. Get a Rick Steves guidebook and read it closely. If you ride trains be sure to validate your ticket before boarding by having it punched with a timestamp by the little machines.

Limoncello402

Post by Limoncello402 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:42 am

By far my recommendation would be Positano. I've stayed at the Hotel Vittoria several times and find it idyllic. From Positano you can take the boat for a day trip to Amalfi.
I don't like Naples much, but that's me.
If you are staying in Rome or Naples, it is easy to get to the coast on the Circumvesuviano, perhaps with a stop off at Pompeii. From Sorrento you transfer to a marvelous, scary bus that will take you on a scenic journey to Positano. From the bus stop in town you can walk easily to Hotel Vittoria.

user5027

Post by user5027 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:14 am

Stayed at Monastero Santa Rosa on the Amalfi coast.
http://monasterosantarosa.com/

Our Italy trip was partially with our son and daughter in law. We flew JFK - Dublin - Rome and connected to Florence (would take the train to Florence if we did it again). Spent three days in Florence and took the train to Pisa. Saw the tower and flew to Catania. Son and daughter in law had arrived a few hours before and picked us up in a rental car. The four of us spent a week in Sicily then flew to Naples where son picked up another rental car and drove to the Amalfi Coast for three days before returning to Naples where we separated. They flew home and we took a train to Rome and stayed there for a few days before flying home.

While on the coast we drove back to the Ruins of Pompeii one day and went to Capri on the ferry one day. The coast can be an interesting drive. There are some interesting youtube videos. We went in May before the high season. I think they restrict the tour busses to one direction at least part of the year. I brought the GPS along with European Map added and was using that to tell my son when the hairpin turns were coming and which way they went. He mentioned it was just like playing a version of Grand Theft Auto called the Amalfi Coast. I replied that "game over" has a different meaning.

EnjoyIt

Post by EnjoyIt » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:22 am

We just did a trip similar to yours. 2 weeks in Italy. We rented a car and drove down the coast spending a few days in each location and then finishing the trip up with a few days in Rome. Don't listen to the people who hated on Naples. Naples is an awesome old city with lots to do and the food is amazing. During those 2 weeks we stayed in maybe 4 different hotels and exploring each area we stayed in.

There really is no wrong answer on where exactly to stay. Just pick a few hotels in the areas you want to be in and stay there. Enjoy your trip :)

Topic Author
LookinAround

Post by LookinAround » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:30 am

user5027 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:14 am
<snip and edited>
While on the coast we drove back to the Ruins of Pompeii one day ...... I brought along our GPS map and used it to tell my son when the hairpin turns were coming and which way they went. He mentioned it was just like playing a version of Grand Theft Auto called the Amalfi Coast. I replied that "game over" has a different meaning.
ROFL. :D :thumbsup :thumbsup

shmidds

Post by shmidds » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:11 am

If you're in semi-good shape you might want to include a walk of the Amalfi Coast.

We recently flew into Rome, took the train to Salerno, and then the ferry to Amalfi. Over the next few days we walked to Pontone, Ravello, Praiano, and Positano. Our luggage transfers and accommodations were organized by a walking holiday company, in our case, SherpaExpeditions. This was a fantastic way to see the Amalfi coast. We would start our walks in the morning before the cruise ships came in and arrive in the next town after the cruise ships left. This allowed us to explore each town, miss the crowds and traffic, and see amazing views from both the mountains and sea.

Then take the ferry from Positano to Sorrento and make Sorrento your base for several days. You can easily get to Capri and Pompeii from there. Then back to Rome by train. There's no need for a car this way.

If you don't think you can do the walk or are on a budget you could take a ferry to each town and arrange your own accommodations.

Angangang

Post by Angangang » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:27 am

I was just there in October. Stay in Sorrento. Those tight roads along with the insane traffic mean that you will not be able to cover the distance you think you will. I agree with the other posters that you will spend way too much time getting from point A to point B if you stay in Naples. I would guess Sorrento is the mid point to all that you mentioned. It would be a tough commute from the Amalfi Coast to Pompeii or from Naples to the Amalfi Coast.

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:33 am

If you want to visit Pompeii, it makes sense to stay in Sorrento. It has easy train connections to Pompeii, Herculaneum and Naples (where you will likely want to visit the Archeological Museum to see the truly amazing Pompeii artifacts), has ferries to Capri, and is a real city with all the amenities you need. It is also a resort town. That said, there isn't all that much to do in the town itself. But, it makes a good base.

If you are interested in ruins, put Paestum on the list, as well. It is a pre-Roman Greek town site that is about 60 miles south of Sorrento.

Staying in a town on the Amalfi Coast will greatly limit your travel capabilities. Getting from, say, Positano back to Pompeii would be a long drive in a car (either back along the Amalfi Coast or up through the mountains and Ravello) and I'm not sure what other non-tour options you would have. Positano or Amalfi are small tourist towns where finding other amenities, like food markets, might be tough. Things will certainly be more expensive in the Amalfi Coast towns then in Sorrento.

One last point. The Amalfi Coast road is a narrow, 2-lane road used by large tourist buses that act like clogs in a pipe for traffic. That is, a tourist bus is really too big for the road and buses will always have a line of cars behind them. After the cars pass, there is no traffic until the next bus goes by. Driving on this road in a car must be frustrating as most of the time is spent moving in a slow traffic jam. On a bus, you have no control over where you stop and you might end up on the wrong (left) side of the bus where the views are not so good.

In addition to taking a bus down the coast, I have ridden a bicycle on it. While you need some fitness to do this (though, renting an electric bike would help solve this problem), it is far and away the best way to see the Amalfi Coast. While the road is dangerous in a car or bus, it is completely safe on a bike. When the buses go by (you can hear them long before they pass), you pull off the road, wait for all the cars to pass, and then continue riding in the quiet. Driving you will SEE the Amalfi Coast. Riding a bike, you will EXPERIENCE the Amalfi Coast. Here is a link to my biking journal for the day I rode from Sorrento to Salerno, along the Amalfi Coast. This will give you a good idea of what riding down the coast is like.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

eucalyptus

Post by eucalyptus » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:23 am

Le Sirenuse, Positano, if budget permits.

koryg75

Post by koryg75 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:32 pm

I was in Positano for a week last year and would love to provide feedback if you could provide more i formation. What’s your budget? That’s probably the most important piece of the puzzle. Are you comfortable driving? I you can make the most of your time with a car rather than relying on train schedules. 4-5 days isn’t very much time in Naples/Coast. Do you prefer big cities or smaller towns? Personally i’d spend one less day in Rome because it’s enough time to see what I like.

SeaToTheBay

Post by SeaToTheBay » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:51 pm

We stayed in an apartment with an amazing view in the town of Amalfi on our honeymoon and I would recommend it. I think renting a scooter/moped would be ideal, as driving a car would be nerve-wracking and the driver wouldn't get to see much scenery, and piling onto overcrowded buses like we did was pretty stressful.

I also echo skipping Naples.

koryg75

Post by koryg75 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:57 pm

If you are into Pompei and pizza Naples is worth an afternoon before you fly out. Naples archeological museum is phenomenal.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:59 pm

+1 for the archaeological museum, Neapolitan pizza, and, of course, Pompeii and Herculaneum.

We stayed in Naples and really liked it. Got a room with a terrace. Even though we were there in winter, we still enjoyed standing on the terrace and taking in the view.

As this was our first visit to Naples, we wanted a central hotel, one where we felt safety would not be an issue. Hotel Piazza Bellini fit the bill. Pretty close to the metro station too.

http://www.hotelpiazzabellini.com/en

koryg75

Post by koryg75 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:42 pm

I would second the Hotel Piazza Bellini. Walkable to the museum I mentioned as well as several tasty pizzerias. The restaurant next door was very good and offered 20% off the bill to hotel guests.

gtwhitegold

Post by gtwhitegold » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:26 pm

I personally lived in Napoli for three years and absolutely loved it. Pozzuoli has an amazing boardwalk with a lot of awesome food. It's almost impossible to find a bad restaurant out there. If you stay in Napoli and really want to enjoy the culture, I highly recommend staying in Pozzuoli. I personally stayed in Miramare Residence in Pozzuoli for about a month before I moved to Japan.

I personally never had any issues with pick pocketing and the only time that I had something stolen was on the Navy Base in Capodicino (by Aeroporto Internazionale di Napoli), but I admit that I did leave my vehicle unlocked. I think that if you are pretty aware, you shouldn't have any issue with theft.

If you can, catch a show at the San Carlo Theatre. I saw my first Opera there and really enjoyed it. There is a lot of interesting architecture in Napoli as well. You can probably tour the castles in the morning and catch a show in the evening. Galleria Umberto is a pretty impressive view as well and the area around is pretty good for picking up souvenirs.

If you go to Caserta, there is a small coliseum a little bit away from the Palace. It is preserved pretty well.

I also recommend that you try as much food as possible. I would love to be able to have real caprese. Prosciutto crudo and mozzarella is a great appetizer as well.

I do not think that you would regret going to Napoli if you actually try to enjoy it.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:42 am

LookinAround wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:23 pm

• Caserta Royal Palace
  • Island of Capri
  • Amalfi Coast

Stay in Sorrento and do your day trips (or multi-day trips) from there.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:02 am

DarthEnol wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:26 pm
I would agree. Really did not like Naples. Sorrento however is beautiful...

DarthEnol

Post by DarthEnol » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:22 pm

WestUniversity wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:02 am
DarthEnol wrote:
Yep. Naples is zoo-ish. Sorrento, OTOH, is gorgeous.

jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:05 pm

FWIW, we really enjoyed staying in, less touristed, Salerno as a base for visiting Pompeii, Herculaneum, Amalfi Coast, and Paestum. I did have to do some careful research to find out and confirm that Rick Steves is completely wrong about it being a hassle to get to Pompeii ruins, if you take a train to the Pompeii town train station (which is where the train from Salerno stops).
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. - John C. Bogle

WestUniversity

Post by WestUniversity » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:18 pm

DarthEnol wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:22 pm
WestUniversity wrote:
DarthEnol wrote:
I just found Naples to be a large, filthy, industrial city. Everywhere we went there was garbage and cigarette butts...

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:23 pm

WestUniversity wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:18 pm
DarthEnol wrote:
WestUniversity wrote:
DarthEnol wrote:
I just found Naples to be a large, filthy, industrial city. Everywhere we went there was garbage and cigarette butts...
No surprise there, it's always been known as a garbage dump. Even the WSJ had an article on the vast amounts of garbage located outside the city.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

praxis

Post by praxis » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:52 pm

Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:45 pm

Did a Country Walkers trip in October 2018. Here is a list of our accommodations. I think that we got upgraded room because they get a lot of business. We pretty much gave every place a 4.5 star rating, package so I don't know about $$$$$$. We walked 10-14 miles per day on ancient roads from town to town,

This was also a great dining experience Agriturismo Fattoria Terranova,
Via Pontone, 10,
80061 Sant'Agata sui Due Golfi NA, Italy

Grand Hotel Santa Lucia
Via Partenope, 46
80121 Naples, Italy

Hotel Rufolo
Via San Francesco, 1
Ravello, Italy
Tel 011 39 089 857133

Hotel Luna
Viale Giacomo Matteotti, 3
Capri, Italy
Tel 011 39 081 837 0433

Grand Hotel Europa Palace
Via Correale, 34/36
Sorrento, Italy
Tel 011 39 081 807 3432

DarthEnol

Post by DarthEnol » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:12 pm

WestUniversity wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:18 pm
DarthEnol wrote:
WestUniversity wrote:
DarthEnol wrote:
Agreed. It takes a certain breed to live there, that’s for sure.

Topic Author
LookinAround

Post by LookinAround » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:17 pm

Thank you all! :D

Great feedback and information! Will help a lot in trying to determine final details of our trip.

Thanks again.

greenbldg2

Post by greenbldg2 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:57 pm

I also just recently did a trip here in September 2018 and it was perfect. I will also tell you to not stay in Naples.

Capri (2 nights)
-Definitely get a private boat tour around the island- Giannisboat.com
-I stayed at Hotel Canasta
-Beware taxi will not take you all the way to your hotel since they cannot get all the way up to the top. Take the cheap funicular from the port.
-Explore all sides, Anacapri, Gardens of Augustus
-Get the gelato just up the path from top of funicular. mmmmm.
-Reserve the balcony spot for a sunset dinner at Pullali Wine Bar in the main square! (reserve early!) Its not an expensive dinner and has amazing view.
-Take ferry to Sorrento

Sorrento (5 nights and home base for travel to Positano, Herculaneum, Mt Vesuvius)
-Hotel Ambasicatori https://www.ambasciatorisorrento.com/ (views from the cliff every morning were awesome)
-Upgrade your rooms here where its worth it. Not in big cities where it is expensive.
-Sorrento is great for shopping and good location to relax
-We walked up the street a couple of blocks to the train station to do day trips from here
-Positano - Don't forget your nice camera and wide angle lens. I dont think I would rent a car. Bus was easy from Sorrento.

Rome (3 nights)
-Very busy. That is probably an entire other post on how to avoid crowds and skip lines.

Trip Advisor is your friend.

Thesaints

Post by Thesaints » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:06 pm

Naples is fantastic! Not sure why some advises against it a post above mine.
If you can afford it, be sure to stay at the Parker’s with a room facing the gulf.