Button Down Shirts / Travel Pants / Light Jacket? Other Tips from experienced Boglehead world travelers?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Button Down Shirts / Travel Pants / Light Jacket? Other Tips from experienced Boglehead world travelers?

Post by Sandtrap »

Due to health, I have not travelled in several years.
Recently upgraded my passport, TSA Precheck, Travel ID, etc. ("newbie" ready to ride/fly).

Now packing for an upcoming trip, I've found that my assortment of travel pants have "shrunk" in storage. (that must be it) :shock:
Thus, I am on the hunt for new travel clothes.

Previously, nothing but Columbia long sleeve shirts, pants, and shorts.
Now needs a redo.

Slacks (casual, lightweight)
No iron, wrinkle free, minimum cotton (bulk and weight), elastic waist would help.
1 pair dress, 2 pairs casual?
*Really like the Columbia Men's "Global Adventurer" slacks but discontinued.

Long sleeve shirts (casual), wrinkle free, no cotton?
1 semi dress, 2 casual?

I only travel with a single carry-on so less bulk and weight is important.

Suggestions?

Retired newbie traveller.
mahalo,
j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
billthecat

Re: Men's No-Cotton Travel Pants Suggestions? Other Tips from experienced world travellers?

Post by billthecat »

Just sharing what I saw elsewhere...check out this page on travel pants. "Great Men’s Travel Pants for Every Style, Budget, or Adventure"
We cannot direct the winds but we can adjust our sails • It's later than you think • Ack! Thbbft!
Hockey10

Re: Men's No-Cotton Travel Pants Suggestions? Other Tips from experienced world travellers?

Post by Hockey10 »

Bluffworks pants. Last year I took a pair of their Chinos and a pair of their "Originals" on a 10 day trip to Italy. I wore a pair of jeans (not Bluffworks) on the plane, and wish I had left them home. I love their zippered security pockets. The pants are lightweight and don't get many wrinkles.

https://shop.bluffworks.com/
stan1

Post by stan1 »

billthecat wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:27 am Just sharing what I saw elsewhere...check out this page on travel pants. "Great Men’s Travel Pants for Every Style, Budget, or Adventure"
This is a good list. I have owned Bluffworks and Outlier pants for a number of years now and both hold up well and are stylish enough to wear during the day and evening in most places unless you are in a formal setting. The Outliers are tailored for a fitter build, so if that's not you the Bluffworks would be better. The Bluffworks are also less expensive and have a zipped pockets. They are not elastic waist though.

I would go with something that looks like chinos not something that looks like you are on safari. The jungle pants with zip off legs that turn into shorts flag you as an American tourist and that's not a good thing whether you are in London, Jerusalem, or Kenya.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
jaxbmw

Post by jaxbmw »

Went in to COSTCO and saw some travel pants. Since we were just preparing for a trip I thought I would try them out. For less than $20 they were fantastic. I wish I had bought more than two pair. Wore them on flights from Miami to Singapore. They were comfortable and no wrinkles. They are now my go to pants when I travel. No more jeans. The ones at COSTCO were made by UB Tech.
aspirit

Post by aspirit »

STrap, I'd suggest commercially copied or actual armed services provisional attire.
Rothco, & Propper, are 2 .gov full attire contractors.
They come in many fabrics, light cotton, heavy cotton, cotton-poly, etc.
There made for various body types, long trunk-short legs, short trunk-long legs, etc.
The waists are adjustable too! 28-32/32-36/35-38/ +
W/- Short, Med, Long length inseams + w/ waist side tabs.
Its (BDU)cargo pants are offered in many combinations.
I prefer the traditional 6Pocket* rip-stop* stitched cotton*, or cotton-poly*.

I suspect you might like'em also.
Good luck!

-On a re-read I'd suggest you look at propper cotton-ploy-rip-stop-BDUs.-
-Rip-stop woven silk is optimum in 120*heat to 10*below, like a cocoon.

Best wishes.... :happy
Last edited by aspirit on Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Time & tides wait for no one. A man has to know his limitations. | "Give me control of a nation's money and I care not who makes it's laws" | — Mayer Amschel Bauer Rothschild ~
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I always get mine though companies that sell outdoor hiking gear like REI. They always have a large selection of non-cotton clothing in various styles.
JohnFiscal
Location: US citizen now retired in Canada. Subject to income tax in both.

Post by JohnFiscal »

¡Kamusta!

Under "other tips", if you plan on "world" travel then I suggest you check into the Global Entry registry in addition to PreCheck (GE actually includes PreCheck and doesn't cost much more than PC). This is like "PreCheck" for passing through US Customs and Immigration on your return from a foreign country. Really cuts down the time in line.

Another tip for all with GE already: Security at many Canadian airports includes special lines for trusted travelers (like US PreCheck) but you must be a member of Nexus or GE. And further if you have GE you must present the GE card in order to enter this lane. Yes, it was drummed into me when we got GE status that there was no need to carry the cards with us as it was tied into our US passports. But this doesn't cut the mustard when it's a Canadian security lane for trusted travelers...got to show the card.

I've always carried the GE cards on about 6 international trips (belt and suspenders). And this latest trip to Canada...the one time I left them at home I ended up needing them. Had to suffer through a long long queue in Calgary on account (thank heavens it wasn't Toronto!). Odd thing is that this seems to have been changed since my trip through the same airport this past July.
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

JohnFiscal wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:15 pm ¡Kamusta!

Under "other tips", if you plan on "world" travel then I suggest you check into the Global Entry registry in addition to PreCheck (GE actually includes PreCheck and doesn't cost much more than PC). This is like "PreCheck" for passing through US Customs and Immigration on your return from a foreign country. Really cuts down the time in line.

Another tip for all with GE already: Security at many Canadian airports includes special lines for trusted travelers (like US PreCheck) but you must be a member of Nexus or GE. And further if you have GE you must present the GE card in order to enter this lane. Yes, it was drummed into me when we got GE status that there was no need to carry the cards with us as it was tied into our US passports. But this doesn't cut the mustard when it's a Canadian security lane for trusted travelers...got to show the card.

I've always carried the GE cards on about 6 international trips (belt and suspenders). And this latest trip to Canada...the one time I left them at home I ended up needing them. Had to suffer through a long long queue in Calgary on account (thank heavens it wasn't Toronto!). Odd thing is that this seems to have been changed since my trip through the same airport this past July.
Thanks for the super duper tips.
Just got the TSA PreCheck.
Will get right on the "Global Entry" thing ASAP.

What is NEXUS?

What is "belt and suspenders"??
j
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

I do a lot of long trips on a bicycle where weight and size are serious limitations. I take very few (off bike) clothes. What I've found has the best weight - utility ratio are merino wool t-shirts.

These shirts are expensive but they can be worn several days without needing to be washed. That is, they won't smell after several days of wear. While they are wool, they aren't scratchy, look good, and are comfortable. The only time they have an odor is in the rain. When they need to be cleaned, I wash them in a sink or shower and they dry overnight.

Wool socks have the same long wearing non-smelling capability. For a one month bike ride, I bring 2 pairs of wool socks. Note that wool socks don't dry as quickly. I often have to ride the next day with the damp wool socks hanging off the bike to dry!

For underwear, I take 2 pair of quick drying, non-cotton shorts. To have clean underwear everyday, I wash one each night and it is dry the next morning.

For a second layer, I use a lightweight down vest that stuffs into a small sack. I believe my brand in Uniqlo, but there are others.

For pants, I like Prana cargo pants that unzip into shorts. They have zippered pockets, don't require a belt (they come with belt-like cord to tighten them) and are lightweight.

Where it not for the bike riding gear, all this would easily fit into a backpack. Especially given that I am wearing most it when I am walking around.

All of these items cost more (and weigh less) than the comparable cotton wear, but are far better for use when traveling.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

lthenderson wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:58 am I always get mine though companies that sell outdoor hiking gear like REI. They always have a large selection of non-cotton clothing in various styles.
Right.
I use convertible cargo pants from Columbia and other companies.
They are lightweight, no cotton at all, polyester mostly.
Extra pockets allow room for smartphone, passport, city map, etc...
Attempted new signature...
hoops777

Post by hoops777 »

jaxbmw wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:48 am Went in to COSTCO and saw some travel pants. Since we were just preparing for a trip I thought I would try them out. For less than $20 they were fantastic. I wish I had bought more than two pair. Wore them on flights from Miami to Singapore. They were comfortable and no wrinkles. They are now my go to pants when I travel. No more jeans. The ones at COSTCO were made by UB Tech.
I have several pairs of these.They are made out of nylon so they dry very quickly if you rinse them off say in the hotel shower.I would disagree with the statement that they do not wrinkle.I am looking at mine right now and they definitely wrinkle.Very comfortable and excellent pockets.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.
travelspot

Post by travelspot »

Deleted
Last edited by travelspot on Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't do stuff, then you don't do stuff.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Patagonia makes some decent stuff. I bought the Patagonia Quandary pants for a hot weather trip a few months ago and they worked out fine.

I still prefer regular jeans though. All the travel pants I’ve ever tried feel too floppy, like pajamas. Hate em. The ones with the zip off legs just look too goofy for me to want to wear. I rarely vacation in cold weather, so one pair of cotton jeans for the evenings tends to be enough, and I’ll wash them after a few wears.

Some companies make cotton poly blend jeans, but they still take a long time to dry compared to most quick dry materials, and many brands don’t make any waist sizes smaller than 30.
Last edited by climber2020 on Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:17 am
Now needs a redo.
I used to wear a lot of Columbia clothes for travel, but their quality seems to have declined. The titanium Omni dry t shirts that I bought around 2010 and am still wearing now are so much better than the garbage they’re currently selling. The sizing is different too; their shirts have gotten larger. I would have to gain about 20 pounds for a small to fit me properly now.
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

climber2020 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:51 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:17 am
Now needs a redo.
I used to wear a lot of Columbia clothes for travel, but their quality seems to have declined. The titanium Omni dry t shirts that I bought around 2010 and am still wearing now are so much better than the garbage they’re currently selling. The sizing is different too; their shirts have gotten larger. I would have to gain about 20 pounds for a small to fit me properly now.
+1
I agree.
Columbia seems to have gone to cheap thin materials and the "cut" has gotten "strange".
Thus, I'm looking for alternatives, better quality, etc.
Not concerned about price as long as not ridiculouse.
thanks
j
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Before I make any clothing decision I look at my WWMMD wristband.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
JohnFiscal
Location: US citizen now retired in Canada. Subject to income tax in both.

Post by JohnFiscal »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:21 pm
Thanks for the super duper tips.
Just got the TSA PreCheck.
Will get right on the "Global Entry" thing ASAP.

What is NEXUS?

What is "belt and suspenders"??
j
"belt and suspenders" ... Midwestern slang indicating someone who (foolishly or wisely) wears both items intended to keep their trousers up: belt and suspenders. Being an engineer I believe in "redundant load paths" so I guess I am a belt and suspenders sort of guy.

"NEXUS" is a program to permit fast secure cross-border entry between US and Canada. You have to be approved by agencies in both countries and if traveling by car at a crossing this will speed up entry in either direction. It hits me now that most registration centers (you must do this in-person, like GE) are along the northern border of the US. I'm not sure if there's any advantage to having both GE and NEXUS. (then again, that'd be...belt and suspenders).
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

Haggar H26 pants are my beater pants. They are a cotton/polyester blend but are lightweight IMO and really comfortable. Also really cheap, so it's no big loss if they get damaged. Available at Target and Macy's. If they have no wrinkles once dry, they are resistant to wrinkles when packed.
sksbog

Post by sksbog »

Nit sure if you are just looking for clothing or other travel tips as well. Here are some others I do.

1. Visit nearby Target or AAA store. In the international vsection get these
A. Travel pouch that beyls around your waist, inside ur shirt. Very light weight. To keep passport or cash.
B. Luggage tags.

C. Electrical plug and adapter kit.

2. Digital Copy of your important travel docs , encrypted in a USB stick.
3. Credit card visa or MasterCard , no amex, with no international fee.
4. Debit card with no international/ATM fee.
5. Contact list with important numbers.
6. Check out state department website to the county you are traveling for immunizations .
7. Set up Uber in ur phone if you are going to use it there.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I just had to get all new travel clothes for the opposite reason. Retirement, somehow has made me very fit, and I look like a clown wearing most of my old clothes. I had to cut 10 inches off of a belt to be able to use it.

Anyway, I found some nylon REI brand pants that fit well, are lightweight, and appear sturdily built.

I also discovered that with the popularity of that new Marie Kondo show on Netflix, everyone is cleaning out their closets, and thrift stores are swimming in very nice clothes right now. I completely redid my entire closet last week with very nice, name brand stuff for less than $100. Then I donated the old stuff back to the thrift store, of course.

You don't need NEXUS unless you're planning on driving back and forth across the Canadian border a lot. If you're planning on driving across the Mexican border, you need SENTRI.
SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy »

Raybo wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:23 pm
For pants, I like Prana cargo pants that unzip into shorts.
Agreed on Prana, but also agree with @Stan1 that convertibles are bestial. These are my choice, wear them every day while traveling overseas, and they dry while you wear them if you get in a pickle, the Stretch Zion with zippered pockets:

https://www.prana.com/stretch-zion-pant ... s=charcoal
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

SrGrumpy wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:50 pm
Agreed on Prana, but also agree with @Stan1 that convertibles are bestial. These are my choice, wear them every day whiile traveling overseas, and they dry while you wear them if you get in a pickle, the Stretch Zion with zippered pockets:

Convertible pants are not "bestial".
They are eminently practical, especially for situations like flying to the Caribbean from the US in the colder months or visiting certain European religious sites in the warmer months.

This assumes that one prefers wearing short pants in mild to hot weather as I do. Some prefer long pants no matter how warm, so I understand that...
J295

Post by J295 »

Eddie Bauer Travex
Meets all your requirements.

Note: some of the credit cards offer reward miles and also include a statement credit for global entry application fee. I can't recall off the top of my head which cards had this feature, but I know some did and we took advantage of it. Should be easy to find on google.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

It depends on the kind of vacation I'm having. If it's a walk around, eat out, shop & explore vacation, I've just found myself bringing weather-appropriate normal everyday pants (khakis & jeans).

If it's more active (hiking, glacier, multi-day backpacking trips, etc), I might bring some "technical" or travel pants. Have an old pair of Columbia pants that have served me well over the years plus special-purpose pants for cold weather.
Sage16

Post by Sage16 »

I get my travel pants at REI. I have been happy with the REI brand as well as Prana and Kuhl. I have found them light weight, comfortable, practical for both day use and dinner.
Bogle on investing: Diversify, focus on low costs, invest for the long term. Don't speculate and don't be distracted by volatility.
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

sksbog wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:20 pm Nit sure if you are just looking for clothing or other travel tips as well. Here are some others I do.

1. Visit nearby Target or AAA store. In the international vsection get these
A. Travel pouch that beyls around your waist, inside ur shirt. Very light weight. To keep passport or cash.
B. Luggage tags.

C. Electrical plug and adapter kit.

2. Digital Copy of your important travel docs , encrypted in a USB stick.
3. Credit card visa or MasterCard , no amex, with no international fee.
4. Debit card with no international/ATM fee.
5. Contact list with important numbers.
6. Check out state department website to the county you are traveling for immunizations .
7. Set up Uber in ur phone if you are going to use it there.
Wow.
Thanks for the list.

Immunizations?? :confused
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

The Wizard wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:40 pm
SrGrumpy wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:50 pm
Agreed on Prana, but also agree with @Stan1 that convertibles are bestial. These are my choice, wear them every day whiile traveling overseas, and they dry while you wear them if you get in a pickle, the Stretch Zion with zippered pockets:

Convertible pants are not "bestial".
They are eminently practical, especially for situations like flying to the Caribbean from the US in the colder months or visiting certain European religious sites in the warmer months.

This assumes that one prefers wearing short pants in mild to hot weather as I do. Some prefer long pants no matter how warm, so I understand that...
Thanks.
Nice slacks.
Will try ordering a convertible one to test it out.

I think as much depends on what one's legs look like when bestial and bared. :shock:
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rob

Post by rob »

Bluffworks pants are great but bring a credit card as not cheap - https://shop.bluffworks.com/collections ... egular-fit
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:58 pm ...Immunizations?? :confused
Entirely dependent on where you are going.
I was looking at a trip to Mongolia which had recommended immunizations...
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

Cabelas in Glendale can hook you up and allow you to try things on before you purchase to make sure you like the fit. They have a safari style shirt that is an easy travel shirt and zip-off pants as well as other travel pants.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

Sandtrap, a few additional tips (those above are excellent), been travelling international almost 3 decades now.

Footwear, key is to find sturdy, durable shoes, leather only if possible, and wear with two pair of socks, a light inner liner then a compatable merino wool hiking pair. REI is a great source of footwear for world travelers.

Wallet pouch: I spent plenty of $ on special travel pants, multiple zippers, etc. My best option has been to use an internal wallet pouch that connects through belt loops and flips inside. You can get these at any luggage/travel store in a mall. It's cheap and very effective. I use mine all the time and know my wallet is safe. I have a second I used for my iPhone.

Belts: speaking of which, you may want to get a sturdy belt with in internal zipper. I have a nice black and brown pair and keep abt $100 plus copy of my passport in there. Also have a "throw away" wallet I keep in an outside pocket with just a small amount of cash. I was pick pocketed in the Madrid metro station a ways back and glad they got the throw away and not the main wallet.

Pants: My most comfortable pants are the REI brand nylon hiking pants. They are a bit casual for dinner and such but great for walking around. They are light, very comfortable, zipper bottom legs so you can make them shorts, and they dry quickly.

Water: be sure to have a thermos or other water collection to keep while you are travelling around - you never know when you might pass a store to buy water. I wouldn't drink public water from a fountain, etc. outside the US or Canada.

Hat: something light and easy to use to keep the sun off your eyes and head. But don't look like an American tourist :)

Small backpack: I also travel internationally as carry-on only. I have my trusty old Travel-Pro I bough in 1991 (stapled, duct taped, etc.) but it works and fits in the overhead bin. I have a second travel backpack that fits under the seat. That's my daypack when in town, when travelling, I keep a change of clothes and basic necessities if I should ever get separated from my Travel-Pro (actually happened coming out of New Zealand to Hawaii and of course it didn't make the connecting flight, glad we had enough to tie us over until the next day). For the backpack, I have found a Targa at Best Buy or someplace that fit well and had two outside places to keep water.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I fly mostly United (our preferred carrier at work) and find that if I get one of the last rows, actually the very last row, I get in Zone 3 and if I get in line early I never have a problem getting an overhead bin. I have noticed lately that zone 4 and 5 for United have been running out of space which would require a gate tag. I like to get out of the airport as soon as possible.

Happy travels.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

radiowave wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:19 pm Sandtrap, a few additional tips (those above are excellent), been travelling international almost 3 decades now.

Footwear, key is to find sturdy, durable shoes, leather only if possible, and wear with two pair of socks, a light inner liner then a compatable merino wool hiking pair. REI is a great source of footwear for world travelers.

Wallet pouch: I spent plenty of $ on special travel pants, multiple zippers, etc. My best option has been to use an internal wallet pouch that connects through belt loops and flips inside. You can get these at any luggage/travel store in a mall. It's cheap and very effective. I use mine all the time and know my wallet is safe. I have a second I used for my iPhone.

Belts: speaking of which, you may want to get a sturdy belt with in internal zipper. I have a nice black and brown pair and keep abt $100 plus copy of my passport in there. Also have a "throw away" wallet I keep in an outside pocket with just a small amount of cash. I was pick pocketed in the Madrid metro station a ways back and glad they got the throw away and not the main wallet.

Pants: My most comfortable pants are the REI brand nylon hiking pants. They are a bit casual for dinner and such but great for walking around. They are light, very comfortable, zipper bottom legs so you can make them shorts, and they dry quickly.

Water: be sure to have a thermos or other water collection to keep while you are travelling around - you never know when you might pass a store to buy water. I wouldn't drink public water from a fountain, etc. outside the US or Canada.

Hat: something light and easy to use to keep the sun off your eyes and head. But don't look like an American tourist :)

Small backpack: I also travel internationally as carry-on only. I have my trusty old Travel-Pro I bough in 1991 (stapled, duct taped, etc.) but it works and fits in the overhead bin. I have a second travel backpack that fits under the seat. That's my daypack when in town, when travelling, I keep a change of clothes and basic necessities if I should ever get separated from my Travel-Pro (actually happened coming out of New Zealand to Hawaii and of course it didn't make the connecting flight, glad we had enough to tie us over until the next day). For the backpack, I have found a Targa at Best Buy or someplace that fit well and had two outside places to keep water.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I fly mostly United (our preferred carrier at work) and find that if I get one of the last rows, actually the very last row, I get in Zone 3 and if I get in line early I never have a problem getting an overhead bin. I have noticed lately that zone 4 and 5 for United have been running out of space which would require a gate tag. I like to get out of the airport as soon as possible.

Happy travels.
Thanks so much for taking the time to post all that.
Will look into all of it.

Fanny pack in lieu of a Wallet Pouch???
Not sure what a Wallet Pouch is?

mahalo,
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

This is the one I use:
Note it has a black and brown loop to hide the pouch but I almost always use both loops. I found it at a local mall luggage and travel shop.
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

radiowave wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:50 pm This is the one I use:
Note it has a black and brown loop to hide the pouch but I almost always use both loops. I found it at a local mall luggage and travel shop.
Thanks for the link.
Interesting concept. Bag that straps to belt then hangs "inside" the pants.
I'm not a very big person so it would make quite a "lump" with a thick wallet.

Something "Mae West" said in one of her movies about a gun in the pocket or. . . . :shock:
j
radiowave

Post by radiowave »

I keep mine on the right just behind the normal pocket. I'm average size and weight, I have an average wallet size and have no idea how to qualify that :). This pouch is easy to grab with two fingers, flips right out, unzip pull out a card or a $20, then slips right back with ease. If you have ever misplaced your wallet or it slipped out your back pocket and you didn't notice, this pouch is a way to confidently carry a wallet.
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

Is it ok to ask for suggestions of women’s Travel pants as well? Thanks!
Last edited by HIinvestor on Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
champion_ham

Post by champion_ham »

Check out the pants at Betabrand (www.betabrand.com). They have a style of pants called “Best Travel Pants” that might interest you, depending on your style. They also sell “Dress Pant Sweatpants” that are sweat pants but look like dress slacks and are really comfortable. Safe travels!
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

HIinvestor wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:13 pm Is it ok to ask for suggestions of women’s Travel pants as well? Thanks!
DW has been following and looking into the suggestions here and the same brands and styles in women's seem to deserve looking into as well.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

Another vote for Prana Zion pants. Love them.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 »

Expensive, but I find Outlier's Dungarees to be perfection for travel. Very long lasting.
Lion Rock

Post by Lion Rock »

JohnFiscal wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:15 pm ¡Kamusta!

Something to add on Global Entry (GE): If the OP doesn't already have TSA Pre-check, GE is a good option if there will be a lot of world travel within the 5-6 years of the GE membership, which costs $100.

However, especially if the OP already has TSA Pre-check and comfortable with using a smartphone, IMO GE could be overkill. Suggest looking into a free option: Mobile Passport (MP) which is a new app that expedites entry into the US at some airports in separate control lines. In the past year or so I found that MP lines were extremely short (probably because not a lot of awareness of it) and much much faster than the normal lines in busy airports. Best of all, MP is free. Info with list of airports where MP can be used: https://mobilepassport.us

In my mind it makes GE not worth it unless you were buying it for the TSA Pre-check. Again, for MP you do need a smartphone and wireless internet connectivity after you land.
matatupuncher

Post by matatupuncher »

I recommend you take a look at r/onebag on reddit. There are a lot of really good gear reviews; pants included. Please, please, please, whatever you do, do not dork out and wear convertible pants. As others have mentioned Prana makes a really good product. I'll throw a plug in for RailRiders Teton mountain pants and any one of a number of models from Arc'teryx.
othermike27

Post by othermike27 »

For travel and general business/"smart casual" stuff, I have been using Haggar's eclo Stria permanent press slacks for several years:

- no iron, permanent crease, resists wrinkles as well or better than others I've tried
- straight or pleated front
- lightweight, all synthetic materials, including some % that is recycled plastic milk bottles (!) so you can save the planet while looking sharp
- expando-waist feature for guys who think they still fit the same size they wore in high school; also facilitates easy access to a money belt if you use one
- can be washed if needed, but look much better from the cleaners
- may be available at Macy's, Kohl's, etc. with price ranging from ~$45 - $80 per pair
- still available direct online from Haggar, but it looks like they are on closeout now :( now at $35 per pair, less if you buy 2 or 3 pairs

The only drawback I see is no zippered pockets

For in-depth packing light guidance on all kinds of stuff, check out Doug Dyment's https://www.onebag.com/

Happy Travels
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

HIinvestor wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:13 pm Is it ok to ask for suggestions of women’s Travel pants as well? Thanks!
Many brands make both a men's and women's model. Best thing to do is go to an outdoor store like REI and try on everything they have. What may look great on you may look ridiculous on me due to differences in body shape.

I've tried so many different types of travel pants and have found only one that I can tolerate (see recommendation a few posts up), and even those I don't really like compared to a good pair of regular cotton jeans. But I don't like loose, floppy pants, while many people I know don't seem to mind them.
AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess »

I recommend Lululemon ABC pants.

You can wear them for everything:
- go out to a nice dinner,
- hiking,
- biking.
I don't carry a signature because people are easily offended.
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

matatupuncher wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:45 am I recommend you take a look at r/onebag on reddit. There are a lot of really good gear reviews; pants included. Please, please, please, whatever you do, do not dork out and wear convertible pants. As others have mentioned Prana makes a really good product. I'll throw a plug in for RailRiders Teton mountain pants and any one of a number of models from Arc'teryx.
I promise not to "dork out".
Not sure if these are all the same. "dork", "dweeb", "geek", "nerd", . . . . :shock:
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:17 am Due to health, I have not travelled in several years.
Recently upgraded my passport, TSA Precheck, Travel ID, etc. ("newbie" ready to ride/fly).

Now packing for an upcoming trip, I've found that my assortment of travel pants have "shrunk" in storage. (that must be it) :shock:
Thus, I am on the hunt for new travel clothes.

Now needs a redo.

Slacks (casual, lightweight)
No iron, wrinkle free, minimum cotton (bulk and weight), elastic waist would help.
1 pair dress, 2 pairs casual?
*Really like the Columbia Men's "Global Adventurer" slacks but discontinued.

Long sleeve shirts (casual), wrinkle free, no cotton?
1 semi dress, 2 casual?

I only travel with a single carry-on so less bulk and weight is important.

Suggestions?

Retired newbie traveller.
mahalo,
Sandtrap,

Glad you are able to travel more again!

In addition to some of the brands mentioned, I like Railriders stuff -- they have excellent lightweight cargo pants (nylon) plus some nylon hiking pants I really like. Also their shirts. Drawback -- generally not available in retail stores, have to order (so mild guessing on sizes).

On an editorial note, some of the other responses were "don't look like an American tourist!" This viewpoint, frankly, leaves me laughing hard enough to injure myself. Unless you are wearing what the locals wear (in Paris, will you go for dark slim fit clothes?), look like the locals (how would you avoid looking like an American in Japan?), and speak the local language fluently with no accent, you will be identifiable as an American tourist from about 100 yards away. This is not a problem unless you are traveling in an area hostile to US citizens.

Even in Europe this is true. I mean, you are walking around in a European city, perhaps with a camera, possibly asking people for directions/suggestions/help .... trust me, they will know you are not from around there. Why this bothers some people bemuses me.

You want to travel light, so that will impact what clothes you can take; obviously all you can do is optimize for the expected weather and the amount of baggage you want to deal with.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

radiowave wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:19 pm Sandtrap, a few additional tips (those above are excellent), been travelling international almost 3 decades now.

stuff deleted
Why "leather only?" If I'm walking around on pavement 5 to 10 miles a day, I need running/walking shoes, and they are not going to be leather (leather is also hotter).

Conversely, if hiking around, I may need real hiking boots.

Shoe choice seems entirely based on activities and what footwear works for the traveler.
Topic Author
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

AlphaLess wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:58 am I recommend Lululemon ABC pants.

You can wear them for everything:
- go out to a nice dinner,
- hiking,
- biking.
Thanks.
Went to the "Lululemon" website:
https://shop.lululemon.com
Very very nice stuff.
Pricey

Where can I buy a body shape like the one in the clothing catalogs? :shock: :(