Review of sardine brands

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dual

Review of sardine brands

Post by dual »

Edit: I retitled this thread and added another review. 7/12/21

I am a sardine junkie and was about to write an irate post that Costco no longer carries Wild Planet sardines when I read this one-star review from July 2018 at Amazon:
Ive ordered cases of these sardines from amazon many times the past several years, but the batch I received yesterday was different from the rest and not in a good way. As other noted below there is something bad going on with this product. I have no choice but to return this order. They dont smell right and they don’t taste right. This case was labeled as being produced in thailand ( used to be vietnam ). Prod date on this batch = ‘17 08 04’. Will go back to buying them at the store. Very disappointed.... So I thought I’d update this review to say, sadly, the same product at my local grocery store is now from thailand too and equally as bad as what i got here. As many others now starting to note here the product made in thailand has no smoke taste and olive oil is like water. They are really tough to choke down

I sent an email to their founder ( bill carvalho ) through their website to give them a heads up that their quality control has gone off the rails, and I actually got a reply today. Mr. Carvalho acknowledged an issue at the Thailand canning facility, and assured me its been corrected. He also noted that several batches went to market before they could be stopped. I’m going to reply and ask him which production dates going forward can be expected to be the quality that I, and others, had become accustomed to. If I get an answer to that question I’ll update this review again. I give him credit for at least replying to me, but I’m still skeptical of the thailand based product..... final update.... so their customer service dept did follow up with me further confirming that something definitely went wrong with a large number of batches out of thailand. They could not provide me with a date that could be considered “safe” from a quality stand point. They did offer to send me free product which is great but if its what ive gotten recently I wouldn’t want it ( they offered an alternative fwiw ).... So I won’t be ordering these or buying locally for a long time. Ive since discovered King Oscar Mediterranean style which are honestly fantastic.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-revi ... B00NVK1PFK

I can attest to the quality of King Oscar sardines--my favorite are the Tiny Tots that I can buy at Walmart. Unfortunately they are more expensive than the Wild Planet.

So far I have been getting by on my previously bought stock but that will go fast given my addiction :D

Costco still carries the Season brand and I stocked up on their sale last month. But it is boneless/skinless, which is less tasty and less healthy since you do not get the minerals from the bones.
Last edited by dual on Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
VictoriaF

Re: Wild Planet Sardines quality problem

Post by VictoriaF »

I have several unopened boxes of Wild Planet sardines at home as emergency reserves for busy times, snow storms, and possible calamities. My sardines in water are processed in Vietnam; the sardines in oil are processed in Thailand and have the code similar to the one you have cited (17 08 26). I may open the Thailand box to try it for myself.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
wstrdg

Post by wstrdg »

Another vote for Tiny Tots. Target carries them, and they are less expensive online than in the brick stores. Yummy!
https://www.kingoscar.com/product/tiny- ... olive-oil/
Soundwall

Post by Soundwall »

I love me some SABA sardines in tomato sauce and chili from our Asian Super Market made in the Philippines.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Wild Planet Sardines quality problem [Review of sardine brands]

Post by LadyGeek »

FYI - I retitled this thread to keep it actionable.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I buy sardines from Spain, Portugal, and Morocco. I find I like them better than the ones from the Pacific. The only Wild Planet product I buy is the canned sockeye salmon.
Topic Author
dual

Post by dual »

VictoriaF wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:11 am I have several unopened boxes of Wild Planet sardines at home as emergency reserves for busy times, snow storms, and possible calamities. My sardines in water are processed in Vietnam; the sardines in oil are processed in Thailand and have the code similar to the one you have cited (17 08 26). I may open the Thailand box to try it for myself.

Victoria
If you try them, I would be interested in your conclusion. If you bought them at Costco, you can probably return them if they are as bad as the Amazon review states.
flowerpower

Post by flowerpower »

I exclusively buy sardines packed in olive oil. I avoid the smoked kind since it is too dry. Favorite brand is Coles sardines, particularly the 'petite sardines' kind. Could eat it every day on toasted bread with a drizzle of Sriracha!!

Protip - when traveling in Europe, particularly France, Spain, or Portugal, I make it a point to stock up and bring back many tins of sardines since they can them at their peak.
malabargold

Post by malabargold »

Try some smoked Riga sprats too
rick51

Post by rick51 »

Slightly of topic, but I buy Wild Planet Mackerel from Morocco and the quality has been good.
Dontwasteit

Post by Dontwasteit »

King Oscar's in tomato sauce.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

dual wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:08 pm
VictoriaF wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:11 am I have several unopened boxes of Wild Planet sardines at home as emergency reserves for busy times, snow storms, and possible calamities. My sardines in water are processed in Vietnam; the sardines in oil are processed in Thailand and have the code similar to the one you have cited (17 08 26). I may open the Thailand box to try it for myself.

Victoria
If you try them, I would be interested in your conclusion. If you bought them at Costco, you can probably return them if they are as bad as the Amazon review states.
I have tried one can and it was OK. I bought them on Amazon and can't return them.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
FCM

Post by FCM »

+1 for King Oscar sardines packed in olive oil.
Topic Author
dual

Post by dual »

Favorite brand is Coles sardines, particularly the 'petite sardines' kind.
Wild Planet Mackerel from Morocco
I am interested in the stores where you buy these.

I did a search for 'Coles' Is that the Coles supermarket chain in Australia?
Last edited by dual on Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

I stock up on Season brand sardines sold by Costco any time they go on sale. Pretty consistent quality and always taste fresh and clean.
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

FCM wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:12 am +1 for King Oscar sardines packed in olive oil.
+2 usually the double layer. Been eating them for probably 60 years since I observed my Dad eating them.
FCM

Post by FCM »

Yeah, my dad used to eat them as well, and that's where I learned to like them 60 years ago!
rxtra8

Post by rxtra8 »

Trader Joes sells quite good sardines from Portugal; $1.69 a tin, 4.25oz. A few years back TJs carried a branded sardine from Portugal, Bella I think, and then they house labeled the same thing and now sell it for a great price. My wife and I both eat them regularly and our opinion is that they taste very good. TJs tends to run out of the item a few times of the year so I always stock up. Also their smoked herring in a can is excellent in our opinion; from Germany.

A few years ago we bought some sardines in Kyoto, Japan that were excellent; small sardines that were organized in a very tidy fashion in the can. Probably too far to go for your sardine fix though.
“The eye sees only what the mind is prepared to comprehend.” | — Robertson Davies
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

dual wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:36 pm
Favorite brand is Coles sardines, particularly the 'petite sardines' kind.
Wild Planet Mackerel from Morocco
I am interested in the stores where you buy these.

I did a search for 'Coles' Is that the Coles supermarket chain in Australia?
https://www.colestrout.com/coles-sardines/
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

I always buy the Northern catch brand from ALDI, sardines in mustard sauce, which are packaged in Poland.
Reduxer

Post by Reduxer »

I also purchased Wild Planet Sardines from the bad batch via Amazon in August 2018, a case with olive oil and lemon, and a case with olive oil (no lemon), both have the same issues, not tasty at all, olive oil is more like water. My girlfriend refused to eat them, I'll dump the rest, what a shame, it's my first try of Wild Planet sardines which had come highly recommended.

Canned fish I do like:

Wild Planet Mackerel from Morocco (these are addictively good).
King Oscar, 2-layer, sardines in olive oil.
Season's Sardines at Costco (tasty, but unfortunately without skin & bones)
Crown Prince smoked oysters in olive oil
Kennedy

Post by Kennedy »

I've tried about ten different brands/styles of sardines. My favorite, by far, is King Oscar Wild Caught Double Layer in Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Love them!
I buy them at Walmart for $2.44/can.

https://www.kingoscar.com/products/brisling-sardines/
Topic Author
dual

Post by dual »

Reduxer wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:00 pm I also purchased Wild Planet Sardines from the bad batch via Amazon in August 2018,
Any identifying information on your batch of Wild Planet sardines?
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

Kennedy wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:41 pm I've tried about ten different brands/styles of sardines. My favorite, by far, is King Oscar Wild Caught Double Layer in Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Love them!
I buy them at Walmart for $2.44/can.

https://www.kingoscar.com/products/brisling-sardines/
Rechecking this thread made me hungry. so I just opened another can of KO WC DL in EVOO. As I pulled the tab, I recalled years ago that they used to come with a key that fit on a tab and then you rolled back the metal top. BTW, I saw on the King Oscar web page a coupon good for $1 on 3 cans for those of you that might be interested.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Are there any good sardines that anyone here likes at Whole Foods? Thanks.
(Sometimes I share them with my cat.)
Reduxer

Post by Reduxer »

dual wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:30 pm
Reduxer wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:00 pm I also purchased Wild Planet Sardines from the bad batch via Amazon in August 2018,
Any identifying information on your batch of Wild Planet sardines?
Yes, here's the identifying information (again, both were bad batches with water instead of olive oil and bad taste):

Wild Planet Wild Sardines in Extra Virgin Olive Oil with Lemon - Lightly Smoked:

CAN CODE: HDSOL
Prod. Date: 17 06 24
Best By: 06 24 2021

Wild Planet Wild Sardines in Extra Virgin Olive Oil - Lightly Smoked

Prod: 17 05 15
Best By: 05 15 2020
Austintatious

Post by Austintatious »

While we're on the subject, what are the recommended practices for serving/eating them and, no, I'm not asking whether one uses a fork, spoon, knife or chopsticks? I typically eat them with crackers and freshly ground black pepper, same as I do with smoked salmon or herring. Delicious but not very creative (not that it has to be). I know Bogleheads like to keep things simple but any other ways to prepare/serve them that I've been missing, besides feeding them to the cat?
flowerpower

Post by flowerpower »

Austintatious wrote: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:40 pm While we're on the subject, what are the recommended practices for serving/eating them and, no, I'm not asking whether one uses a fork, spoon, knife or chopsticks? I typically eat them with crackers and freshly ground black pepper, same as I do with smoked salmon or herring. Delicious but not very creative (not that it has to be). I know Bogleheads like to keep things simple but any other ways to prepare/serve them that I've been missing, besides feeding them to the cat?
I like to prepare it this way - Toast some bread and put the sardines on it directly for an open faced sandwich. Drizzle with sriracha or other hot sauce.
Abe

Post by Abe »

I used to eat sardines right out of the can. Just put a little hot sauce on them and eat with crackers (bones and all).
Slow and steady wins the race.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

I sometimes have them with pasta.
jdb

Post by jdb »

The feral cats in our neighborhood don’t care for the Costco sardines. Guess how I know? We have far too many in our neighborhood, I trap and take to our county animal services agency, none since bought the Costco sardines. So guesss that is a negative vote. Please don’t report me to the local feral cat support group. Good luck.
telemark

Post by telemark »

In a sandwich, wrapped in freshly baked whole wheat bread.
Topic Author
dual

Post by dual »

Some updates:

I've taken a liking to Walmart's store brand sardines. Small sardines reminiscent of tiny tots. Firm and tasty. A great deal at only 88¢ a can. Main negative is they are packed in soybean oil instead of olive oil. But the taste is OK.

I also like the trader joe's store brand sardines in olive oil. A little big for my taste but with good flavor.

Wal-Mart has raised the price of the King Oscar tiny tots to about $2.62. Still a good deal but way more expensive than the store brand.

As to how I eat sardines, I usually have them for breakfast. I put scrambled eggs on cooked spinach and then spread sardines on top of that. Good taste and loaded with nutrition.
LarryG

Post by LarryG »

King Oscar with olive oil. Mash with fork. Add wine vinegar and chopped onions. Spread on buttered rye bread and
ENJOY
LarryG
monkey_business

Post by monkey_business »

The finest sardines I have ever had: https://www.vitalchoice.com/product/wil ... oz?cat=861

Nothing else comes close. Ordered them many times and got several other people ruined for life.
wilked

Post by wilked »

If you really like sardines and want the best, you need to try these

https://www.tienda.com/products/sardine ... se-81.html

I have had most all, and there is no better. Be forewarned though, as once you try these you won't be able to go back to another
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

monkey_business wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:48 am The finest sardines I have ever had: https://www.vitalchoice.com/product/wil ... oz?cat=861

Nothing else comes close. Ordered them many times and got several other people ruined for life.
OT: I've ordered caviar from Vital Choice, and it was excellent.

Victoria
Topic Author
dual

Re: Review of sardine brands

Post by dual »

I have taken quite a liking to Season sardines. They are large and firm and the company really fills the can so you get a lot of fish for your money. You can buy them on Amazon and occasionally at Walmart. Today I’m having some delivered that I bought for about $21 for 12 cans.
Tingting1013

Re: Review of sardine brands

Post by Tingting1013 »

Patagonia Provisions is really high quality and you can buy through Whole Foods/Amazon
Topic Author
dual

Re: Review sardine brands

Post by dual »

Tingting1013 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:32 am Patagonia Provisions is really high quality and you can buy through Whole Foods/Amazon
I could not find any Patagonia Provisions sardines. Can you provide a link?
Last edited by dual on Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tingting1013

Re: events that require unfreezing credit

Post by Tingting1013 »

dual wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:20 pm
Tingting1013 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:32 am Patagonia Provisions is really high quality and you can buy through Whole Foods/Amazon
You’re right, they only have salmon, mackerel and mussels. Maybe sardines are not sustainable?
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

FCM wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:12 am +1 for King Oscar sardines packed in olive oil.
+2
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
Topic Author
dual

Re: sardine brands

Post by dual »

Tingting1013 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:24 pm
You’re right, they only have salmon, mackerel and mussels. Maybe sardines are not sustainable?
I thought they were. Who knows? I want to branch out from sardines. Do you recommend the mackerel?
Last edited by dual on Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tingting1013

Re: events that require unfreezing credit

Post by Tingting1013 »

dual wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:42 pm
Tingting1013 wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:24 pm
I thought they were. Who knows? I want to branch out from sardines. Do you recommend the mackerel?
Everything I have tried from them has been delicious
Dontwasteit

Post by Dontwasteit »

Dontwasteit wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:09 am King Oscar's in tomato sauce.
The best!