Gillette Mach 3 alternatives

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
johnsmithsf

Gillette Mach 3 alternatives

Post by johnsmithsf »

Hi,
I have used Gillette Mach 3 (disposable) and Sensor Excel for many years, but now want to transition off of them.
Is there any other good quality alternative in the US market with a pivoting Head that adjusts to the contours of the face. 2 to 3 blades are enough for me.
cheezit

Re: Gillette Mach 3 alternatives

Post by cheezit »

Dorco razors are good performers and reasonably priced. Made in South Korea. They're the OEM for several of the subscription razor services, and have several models with different designs.

Of course, the absolute cheapest routes are double-edge safety razors or a straight, but those aren't for everybody.
MarkRoulo

Post by MarkRoulo »

johnsmithsf wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:29 pm Hi,
I have used Gillette Mach 3 (disposable) and Sensor Excel for many years, but now want to transition off of them.
Is there any other good quality alternative in the US market with a pivoting Head that adjusts to the contours of the face. 2 to 3 blades are enough for me.
I've been seeing web ads for Harry's and for Dollar Shave Club for a number of years now.

The Dollar Shave Club blades seem to be made by https://www.dorcousa.com Dorco.
Topic Author
johnsmithsf

Post by johnsmithsf »

cheezit wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:34 pm Dorco razors are good performers and reasonably priced. Made in South Korea. They're the OEM for several of the subscription razor services, and have several models with different designs.

Of course, the absolute cheapest routes are double-edge safety razors or a straight, but those aren't for everybody.

double-edge safety razors or a straight are not for me. I tried double-edge safety razors as an adolescent and ended up cutting myself :D . Any model of Dorco (or any other company) that you like, that has a pivoting head?
BoglePaul

Post by BoglePaul »

I feel Gillette is the absolute best. I wait for a super-sale once ever year or two then buy a year's supply. If I wanted to save, I would probably skip shaving on Saturday.
benway

Post by benway »

I’ve been using Schick Hydro 5 for years. Tried Dorco and wasn’t satisfied. I’ve found the Schick to give excellent shaves and price is reasonable. They last a very long time as well- I dry the cartridge with hair dryer after each shave about 15-20 seconds. I shave 3x per week and have been getting about 10 weks out of a cartidge and could probably go longer. I tried the Hydro 3 blade but didn’t like them because it didn’t flip up to get close under the nose. Not sure they even make those anymore.
KSOC

Post by KSOC »

I too like the Mach 3 cartridges. The last couple of times I bought knock-offs from Amazon & have been very happy. Was about $2 a cartridge & one lasts me a long time. I don't shave everyday anymore, & they suit me well.
I'm just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round. | Nobody told me there'd be days like these.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I use Gillette Fusion cartridges and strop them to keep them sharp for months:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ADaRIqy0Dc One can use their arm or blue jeans for a strop. It also helps to dry them as noted earlier in this thread.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Utvolfan1

Post by Utvolfan1 »

Anybody try Costco’s razors?
HockeyFan99

Post by HockeyFan99 »

Gillette Mach 3 Turbo for at least the past decade, maybe 15 years. As satisfied with them today as I was yesterday, probably even more so.
"I'm spending a year dead for tax reasons." - Hotblack Desiato
IMhooked

Post by IMhooked »

Right before Christmas went to the Up and Up brand from Target (Triple Blade) and WOW so much better (for my face anyways).

Honestly annoyed my wife for a half hour after shaving before Christmas Eve celebrations: "Go ahead feel it again!"

Disclaimer: Improves the shave but not necessarily the face Individual results may vary :happy
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

BoglePaul wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:46 pm I feel Gillette is the absolute best. I wait for a super-sale once ever year or two then buy a year's supply. If I wanted to save, I would probably skip shaving on Saturday.
Details on the super sale??? When? Where? etc.
chw

Post by chw »

Lifelong Gillette blade user here. Have tried others (Harry's, Dollar Shave, etc), but nothing stands up to Gillette for those seeking a blade shave. The blades do last a long time (though the lube strip is diminished). No one puts the research into shaving like Gillette does, and it shows.

I have found some bargains for blades on EBay....
mister_sparkle

Post by mister_sparkle »

I am very loyal to Gillette and have never found a cheaper alternative that was anywhere near the same quality. I stock up with the 24-pack at Costco that lasts me close to 2 years.
Topic Author
johnsmithsf

Post by johnsmithsf »

benway wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:48 pm
I’ve been using Schick Hydro 5 for years. Tried Dorco and wasn’t satisfied. I’ve found the Schick to give excellent shaves and price is reasonable. They last a very long time as well- I dry the cartridge with hair dryer after each shave about 15-20 seconds. I shave 3x per week and have been getting about 10 weks out of a cartidge and could probably go longer. I tried the Hydro 3 blade but didn’t like them because it didn’t flip up to get close under the nose. Not sure they even make those anymore.
Has any one tried BIC Hybrid 3 or BIC Comfort 3 ?
Drovor

Post by Drovor »

cheezit wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:34 pm Dorco razors are good performers and reasonably priced. Made in South Korea. They're the OEM for several of the subscription razor services, and have several models with different designs.

Ive been using these as well. They have sales all the time.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

I went from multi-blades to shaving with a beard trimmer with the guard removed. I got tired of multiple cuts by multiple blades. I've saved hundreds over the years.
AerialP

Post by AerialP »

My criteria for most all consumer goods revolve around price-point balanced with performance. Marketing hype is pretty much always to be ignored. In the specific case of shaving, the race over the decades towards more and more blades has been so silly and superfluous to me. I settled on rechargeable electric razors and those with high rankings from actual user reviews on Amazon has been what's guided me these past 10-or-so years, replacing about every three years. Perhaps it's time to consider that route? I believe the concept of diminishing returns with respect to the performance of multiple blades is a real thing.
Tribonian

Post by Tribonian »

I read somewhere that whiskers aren’t hard enough to dull blades and that oxidation from poor drying is the culprit. Stepping works, but so does submerging the blades in mineral oil. Got many many months from a single cartridge. Should go back to that.
Mursili

Post by Mursili »

I forgot my razor as I was traveling for work and stopped by a local Walmart and picked up an Equate 5-blade razor and an extra pack of cartridges for it. I prefer it to my Mach 3. However, when I just went to walmart.com to see what the Equate 5-blades cost, the item is no longer available.

So I guess I should just say - Never mind.
When it comes to havoc, no one wreaks like me! - Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz
crystalbank

Post by crystalbank »

Why do you want to transition off of them? Gillette blades are really the best IMHO. If you're looking to save money, switch to a safety razor and wait for it - buy Gillette 7'o clock safety razor blades. They're a lot cheaper than Mach3 but produce similar clean shaves. The only caveat is that safety razors need some practice and patience.
dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 »

Gillette is extremely over priced, its a market segment that was far past due for disruption, hence why Gillette has lost most of its market share in the past year. Plenty of alternatives with equal quality for much less $ mentioned above.
StrawMan

Post by StrawMan »

I know that a few of you mentioned that Single/Double Edege Razors (wet shaving) isn't for you. But you should give it another shot. I moved away from using Mach 3 Razors probably 10 years ago. One of the best and cheapest things I've ever done. I personally prefer SE Razors and use a GEM Razor made in the 1920's. Gives the best shave ever. Get a good soap, brush and lather up!
BanditKing

Post by BanditKing »

I've used Dorco for several years. I find the 6- and 7- blade versions aren't as nice as the 3- or 4-, because they tend to clog and not rinse out as well - blades too close together.

Dorco goes on sale routinely, or you can google around for discount codes.

They've even sent me, out of the blue, an occasional pack with some new style I haven't tried, not realizing I still have a year or more in my drawer.
CABob

Post by CABob »

Utvolfan1 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:40 pm Anybody try Costco’s razors?
I have used primarily Gillette products for years (Does anyone remember Gillette Blue Blades) but recently tried the Costco competition and like it.
https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signatu ... 16058.html
Bob
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

CABob wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:21 pm
I have used primarily Gillette products for years (Does anyone remember Gillette Blue Blades) but recently tried the Costco competition and like it.
https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signatu ... 16058.html
I'll see your Blue Blades and raise a Techmatic! After the Techmatic (should have required a license for its use), I meandered around until the Sensor/Mach 3. I don't see any reason to try something new at this point--no Costco near me. I just don't want to overpay for refills.
WanderingDoc

Post by WanderingDoc »

Good to know that the drying technique works to prolong the life! I have also heard that isopropyl alcohol would let you use one blade for months.

I intend to never use a Gillette or Proctor and Gamble product. I don't use any of those shampoos, feminine hygiene, and toiletries anyway, so Gillette goes into the garbage for good. So excited! 8-)
I'm not looking to get rich quick (stocks), I'm not looking to get rich slow (indexing), I'm looking to get rich, for sure (real estate) | Don't wait to buy real estate. Buy real estate.. and wait.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

Cartridge razors are cool if you’re still in high school I guess.

Why waste money on them though. They’re overpriced, terrible for the environment and harsher on your skin than a double edge safety razor.
Fat-Tailed Contagion

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion »

Dollar Shave Club or Schick are options.

Haven't heard of Costco razors but interested.

Good chance they are Gillette razors rebranded.
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor (75/25 - 50/50 - 25/75)
noraz123

Post by noraz123 »

Slightly off topic, but I assume you're looking for an alternative that is lower cost. I use a Dorco razor when I travel, but still use a Gillette razor at home. I find Gillette to be better than the Dorco.

However, I have managed to lower my shaving costs using a razor sharpener with my Gillette razor. I use this - https://www.amazon.com/Blade-Buddy-Razo ... B00IJZ6SRW. I am able to at least double the life of my razor blade. I swear by it, but do check out the reviews on Amazon. It seems polarizing, some love it and some think it is not helpful.

It was a previous thread that turned me onto it-viewtopic.php?t=165247

Apparently a piece of denim can work as a sharpener too.
BoglePaul

Post by BoglePaul »

Doom&Gloom wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:58 pm
BoglePaul wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:46 pm I feel Gillette is the absolute best. I wait for a super-sale once ever year or two then buy a year's supply. If I wanted to save, I would probably skip shaving on Saturday.
Go-to Slickdeals dot com. And type Gillette into the search bar. I think the last deal I picked up was late summer maybe September.
BoglePaul

Post by BoglePaul »

BoglePaul wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:49 am
Doom&Gloom wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:58 pm
Goto Slickdeals dot com. And type Gillette into the search bar and look for 5 thumb deals (or set an alert for Gillette plus 5 thumbs). I think the last deal I picked up was over the summer (see the 24 blade deal in July). I pay for around a dollar a blade for the fusion proglides. Each lasts for about a month.
mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster »

A while back my wife bought me a 96 pack of Gillette razors from BJs. It was on sale. :D

I wouldn't say they're a lifetime supply, but I've still got a lot to go through. I basically keep using the same one until it gives me either a nick or starts burning when I shave. One will last me ~2 weeks, I think?
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

StrawMan wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:42 pm I know that a few of you mentioned that Single/Double Edege Razors (wet shaving) isn't for you. But you should give it another shot. I moved away from using Mach 3 Razors probably 10 years ago. One of the best and cheapest things I've ever done. I personally prefer SE Razors and use a GEM Razor made in the 1920's. Gives the best shave ever. Get a good soap, brush and lather up!
I very much agree with you about using good soap and a brush.
I use a badger brush and Proraso tube shave cream.
This makes for the best, smoothest shave IMO.

I have tried many razors: Gillette, Schick, Harry’s, Merkur safety, Parker safety.
I have tried many blades: Derby, Merkur, Astra, Feather.
I like the Astra blade with my Parker 99R the best.

I also think the Schick Hyro 5 is the best cartridge, beats the Gillette Fusion hands down.

I got started using Gillette safety razors back in the 60’s.
It does require developing technique.
You just can’t use much pressure, that’s why people cut themselves.

DE safety razors are worth a try, just ease up with the razor pressure.
3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters »

This thread has me thinking that I should go back to a safety razor but I don’t have pleasant thoughts about that era of shaving. For now, I have a bumper crop of discontinued Schick blades and an old shaver which is doing just fine.

The quality of my shave is determined by one thing and one one thing only: the quality of the wet shave. If skin is hot and moist enough, even a rusty butter knife will do the job.

I tried electric once but I got ingrown hairs on my neck. Maybe my technique was bad.
hudson

Post by hudson »

HockeyFan99 wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:49 pm Gillette Mach 3 Turbo for at least the past decade, maybe 15 years. As satisfied with them today as I was yesterday, probably even more so.
I always thought that the shaving instruments with all those extra blades were gimmicks. I always liked the 2 bladed Wilkinson Sword cheapos from Walmart. I have enough for 2 more years at one per month. I have cut myself maybe once every 10 years with this kind of razor. They give a great shave. A WW2 veteran told me that the double edged razor was the greatest invention ever. I guess that I'll have to break down and try a Mach3 Turbo...kind of pricey.
happyisland

Post by happyisland »

How much are you guys shaving? With my normal usage I could buy the most expensive Gillette branded razors and it would cost around $24 per year. Seems like all of this money-saving energy could be better focused on other aspects of life.
FireProof

Post by FireProof »

happyisland wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:12 am How much are you guys shaving? With my normal usage I could buy the most expensive Gillette branded razors and it would cost around $24 per year. Seems like all of this money-saving energy could be better focused on other aspects of life.
I buy the $0.49 bag of salt instead of the $0.69, even though it will last for years. It's really a matter of principle - why pay more for the same thing? Also a sort of a capitalist moral to encourage markets to be efficient.
3-20Characters

Post by 3-20Characters »

FireProof wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:34 am
happyisland wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:12 am How much are you guys shaving? With my normal usage I could buy the most expensive Gillette branded razors and it would cost around $24 per year. Seems like all of this money-saving energy could be better focused on other aspects of life.
I buy the $0.49 bag of salt instead of the $0.69, even though it will last for years. It's really a matter of principle - why pay more for the same thing? Also a sort of a capitalist moral to encourage markets to be efficient.
I don’t care about efficient markets as a principle but saving 20¢ on salt excites me! 🤔😁
tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate »

StrawMan wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:42 pm I know that a few of you mentioned that Single/Double Edege Razors (wet shaving) isn't for you. But you should give it another shot. I moved away from using Mach 3 Razors probably 10 years ago. One of the best and cheapest things I've ever done. I personally prefer SE Razors and use a GEM Razor made in the 1920's. Gives the best shave ever. Get a good soap, brush and lather up!
I got my first DE safety razor at 21. I must have cut myself a dozen times the first time I used it, despite watching videos and such beforehand. I can see why people give up on it, as it does take a few mishaps to learn the proper technique. Been a while since I got a cut from it. With cartridge razors I would always get a cut or two even though I felt I was using them "properly." Felt like one blade to cut the hairs, and three more to drag along behind it and irritate my skin.
tea_pirate

Post by tea_pirate »

Full shave about twice a year. Neckline cleanup weekly until I can't see it anymore. 8-)

That 100 pack of Personna razor blades should last me another decade or so at this rate.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

I’ve tried Dorco, Schick, 2 blades, 3 blades, 4 blades, 5 blades, 6 blades. Nothing is as good as Gillette Fusion.

Just be on the lookout for coupons and cut your shaving down from everyday to just Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I bought a pack of 20 fusion blades for just under $20 after stacking a few deals and it had lasted me a year!

I have a very thick and dark beard. It actually helps because when I shave I still look like I have a 5 o’clock shadow. So I can skip a day and not look too different.
queso

Post by queso »

Listen to the Gillette dudes. I got sick of paying Gillette's prices and there was a Costco drought for a while when they didn't put the blades on sale. I gave up waiting, researched options and settled on Dorco. I tried for over a year to like Dorco. I convinced myself they were the same and bought a year's supply and a handle when they went on sale. The shave wasn't as close as my old Gillette, but I kept at it. I then tried another style of Dorco cartridge and that battery powered vibrating handle. That seemed better so I ran with that for months. I was getting low and the Gillette Fusion was on sale at Costco so I thought, what the heck, I'll splurge and try it. Seriously...a revelation. It was like I was wiping hair off my face. Not only was the shave closer, but gone were the cuts I had gotten used to with the Dorco. I know shaving is a personal thing and some razors work better for some people depending on hair type, etc. etc., but the Fusion was multiples better for me than the Dorco. I went back and bought 4 packs of cartridges the next time Costco had them on sale and keep my Dorco in a drawer as an emergency razor only.
Farmboyslim83

Post by Farmboyslim83 »

+1. I like that you can fold the blades back when “honing,” so the lube strip is not worn out. Getting 2 months.
SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler »

I'm still trying to go through my old stock but once I do, I'll be trying them out.
queso

Post by queso »

SagaciousTraveler wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:43 am
I'm still trying to go through my old stock but once I do, I'll be trying them out.
I was tempted by them as well, but there was another thread on here a while back that didn't seem too favorable. I'll still probably try them once I burn through all these Fusion blades since they are significantly cheaper and Kirkland generally means a quality product.
SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler »

queso wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:47 am
I was tempted by them as well, but there was another thread on here a while back that didn't seem too favorable. I'll still probably try them once I burn through all these Fusion blades since they are significantly cheaper and Kirkland generally means a quality product.
Same boat with the Fusion blades. I adhere to the Clark Howard way of preserving my blades. Completely dry it off after use and they last a good while longer. Ridiculous i know.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

Another vote for Schick Hydro 5.

Costco typically has a bundle that is a good deal.

These things are amazing. Wet the blade and I can dry shave. Even the neck area which is usually the hardest part.

They last a long time, blades don't clog like some brands. The 4 females in the family also use them for shaving legs. All converts for 2-3 years.
azanon

Post by azanon »

SagaciousTraveler wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:51 am
queso wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:47 am
Same boat with the Fusion blades. I adhere to the Clark Howard way of preserving my blades. Completely dry it off after use and they last a good while longer. Ridiculous i know.
That is an amazing tip by Clarke Howard. Of all his tips, for me that was a game changer. My razors last months now simply because I take the time to pat them dry.
Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor »

chw wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:20 pm Lifelong Gillette blade user here. Have tried others (Harry's, Dollar Shave, etc), but nothing stands up to Gillette for those seeking a blade shave. The blades do last a long time (though the lube strip is diminished). No one puts the research into shaving like Gillette does, and it shows.
I've tried alternatives, but always end up going back to Gillette - Mach 3 now.
72 yrs. mostly-retired lawyer. Boglehead since day 1 (and M* Diehard long before that) under various names