Recommendations for a 9mm handgun

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Mingus

Re: Recommendations for a 9mm handgun

Post by Mingus » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:03 pm

corn18 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:33 am

My daughter chose an AR-15 with an EOTech. Very impractical, but she loves shooting it.
You raised her right.

glock19

Post by glock19 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:13 pm

If I were the OP I think I might just be very confused at this point.

sixtyforty

Post by sixtyforty » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:37 pm

EPWorrell wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:33 am
Never owned or used a gun before but thinking about purchasing one. After a little research I am thinking a 9mm might be the best handgun for a beginner like me. Can anyone recommend a particular brand/model?

Thanks
Do you plan on getting your CCP (Concealed Carry Permit) ?
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

foursix

Post by foursix » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:02 pm

jumbopapa wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:53 am
monkey_business wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:35 am
Glock 19.

As reliable as they get. Easy to maintain. Easy to shoot. Not expensive. It's the Corolla of pistols.
+1

There really is no better first gun. A lot of my friends know that I have an interest in firearms and whenever one of them wants to purchase their first the Glock 19 is what I always recommend.
Ill second both of these posts. Get a Glock 19 as your first handgun and a Glock 17 as your second.

gold99xx

Post by gold99xx » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:16 pm

Not sure what you are planning to do with this gun, BUT if you are using it for safety in the wild outdoors( hikes, wilderness trails, hunting), get a 10MM Glock. Pretty much the only handgun caliber that can stop a Grizzly.

totallystudly

Post by totallystudly » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:44 pm

I HATE Glock triggers and would never personally buy one. Anything other than a Glock.

I like Steyr m9 or HK VP9 which have super crisp, fast reset triggers and there are several Turkish guns our there such as a ported tisas and there are many good 9mm from CZ as well.

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:18 pm

I'll keep my colt model 1911a1 45acp. :D
My buddy let me try his 9mm glock and it's fine, but the 1911 feels more solid, well balanced proven over 100 years. Fits my hand just right never a jam or misfire(yet :D ). Safety right at my thumb. Plenty of YouTube testimonials, instructions and web sites. :D Special forces still use them as well as many police departments. Look around what do you see that still functions well after 100 years? Maybe a chair? I have some old chairs from my mother that are probably close to 100 years old and still work.
Maybe not the best for carry because of the weight, but I know people who do carry the 1911 and say it's fine. Samuel Colt was true genius.

sco

Post by sco » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:49 pm

Go take some training and do some shooting. To do otherwise would be like picking a car without doing a test drive.

9mm is a fine caliber if it fits your need.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:03 am

Flymore wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:18 pm
...Maybe not the best for carry because of the weight, but I know people who do carry the 1911 and say it's fine. Samuel Colt was true genius.
Samuel Colt was a genius, but he had nothing to do with the M1911 pistol, having been dead for almost fifty years before the U.S. Army adopted it.

I think you meant John Browning.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:28 pm

Meg77 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:55 pm

I've actually considered selling it repeatedly since I don't use it. I don't want to hijack the threat but if anyone has any suggestions of how to do so legally and responsibly I'd love to know. I've only fired it a handful of times over the last few years.
Meg you can sell it to any firearms shop. Depending upon your state's carry laws (I am assuming you don't have a carry license in a state that requires one as most states do) call the gun shop and ask how to transport it to the gun shop legally.

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:12 pm

gold99xx wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:16 pm
Not sure what you are planning to do with this gun, BUT if you are using it for safety in the wild outdoors( hikes, wilderness trails, hunting), get a 10MM Glock. Pretty much the only handgun caliber that can stop a Grizzly.
For a person new to firearms, a 10 mm is not a good 1st choice! I'd say there are several calibers as and more effective than a 10 mm on a large dangerous predator like a Grizzly. For example, .44 magnum or a .454 Casull but they are lousy self defense choices against a 2 legged predator because they are way too large for carry, over penetration and you'll be deaf if fired inside a house without hearing protection. Like the 10 mm, they are not something for someone who does not have any experience with a handgun!

The OP received a lot of good advice but I have read some absolutely terrible comments. As someone who is experienced with handguns I know the difference but the OP surely will not!

Carry on.

gold99xx

Post by gold99xx » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:43 pm

zaplunken wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:12 pm
gold99xx wrote:
For a person new to firearms, a 10 mm is not a good 1st choice! I'd say there are several calibers as and more effective than a 10 mm on a large dangerous predator like a Grizzly. For example, .44 magnum or a .454 Casull but they are lousy self defense choices against a 2 legged predator because they are way too large for carry, over penetration and you'll be deaf if fired inside a house without hearing protection. Like the 10 mm, they are not something for someone who does not have any experience with a handgun!

The OP received a lot of good advice but I have read some absolutely terrible comments. As someone who is experienced with handguns I know the difference but the OP surely will not!

Carry on.

It would help to understand what the OPs needs are, I use a handgun for protection from wildlife. A .44 Magnum is a great gun for an experienced gun person such as yourself. Having used both, the OP would be ill-advised to start with a .44 Cal magnum. A 10mm Glock is a much easier weapon to use. Also, the OP would be ill-advised to get a 9MM if he was going to use it against 2 or 4 legged predators in the great outdoors. A police officer fired 14 9MM shots into an attacking chimp, and the chimp was still able to run 2 miles before it dropped. A grizzly hit with a full clip of 10mm shells will drop on the spot. Its all about the context in which the OP will use the gun. So while you say a 10mm is NOT a good first choice, if they buy a 9mm for wildlife protection, that could be a disaster as it is basically useless. If they want home defense, get a guard dog.

rocket354

Post by rocket354 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:05 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:09 pm
^^^ Let me emphasize the importance of learning fear and respect. A cardinal principal "the gun is always loaded" has been taught to me since I was a kid.

A few years ago, a friend of mine wanted to show me her H&K 9 mm. She handed it to me to get a feel for it. This was inside a home. Assuming the gun was loaded, I pointed it in a safe direction. The gun fired. :shock:

What happened? She cycled the slide, then dropped the clip. A simple brain lapse created a dangerous situation.

That's why you need real experience, in a real range, with real instructors. My experience saved this from becoming a bad situation.

(Gun owners should recognize what went wrong...)
Just to add to this, for educational purposes.

In the above scenario, the gun did not fire. The operator fired the gun without checking the chamber. If you are the operator it is your responsibility to always check the chamber. In fact, the person handing you the gun should hand it to you with an open slide. There is no such thing as an accidental discharge. It is called negligent discharge--the responsibility is always on the person handling the weapon.

As for the recommendations in this thread, everything named is good. HK, Sigs are great, but very expensive, relatively speaking. Glocks, S&W, Springfield are great, very reliable and much cheaper. I have a particular affinity for the S&W M&P line which is even less expensive than Glocks and extraordinarily reliable. But ultimately, I can only repeat what's been said many times. 1) Figure out what you'll be using it for, 2) Get training, 3) Try out many types to see what you like best.

sco

Post by sco » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:28 am

I'll repeat the above again. Look around, get some GOOD training.
If they don't hammer in the fundamentals of safety, including the one the guy a couple posts above didn't do. find someone else.

I'm not railing on that guy, the reason that the fundamentals are important is that you want to do all of them every time. If you do 1/2 of them every time, you will still likely avoid a bad situation.

Lots of people have been shot by "unloaded" weapons. Even if someone else just did it, you check it again. A couple times if you want to, it isn't an insult it is just safety.

sco

Post by sco » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:30 am

Oh, and more often than not the selection is a personal choice. There are some real bad handguns out there. Bad means they won't work reliably, but 90-95% of the selection will be personal preference and your ability to control it.

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:22 am

Raymond wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:03 am
Flymore wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:18 pm
...Maybe not the best for carry because of the weight, but I know people who do carry the 1911 and say it's fine. Samuel Colt was true genius.
Samuel Colt was a genius, but he had nothing to do with the M1911 pistol, having been dead for almost fifty years before the U.S. Army adopted it.

I think you meant John Browning.
Yes, I stand corrected. :oops:
Manufactured by Colt's Manufacturing Company, Designed by John Browning.
There are many manufacturers of the 1911 today, Auto-Ordnance, Remington, Ruger (my friend with the Glock has the Ruger 1911 very nice), Colt, etc etc...
Mine has a serial number dating to 1914 on the frame.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:39 am

I've shot all the weapons mention above. I'm licensed and own an APC 380 Bersa Thunder, with laser grips. I prefer an automatic with a safety, rather than not. It's personal choice, and I made mine. It's a clone of a Walther PPK. Safety first!
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

zaplunken

Post by zaplunken » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:07 am

gold99xx wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:43 pm
zaplunken wrote:
gold99xx wrote:

Carry on.

It would help to understand what the OPs needs are, I use a handgun for protection from wildlife. A .44 Magnum is a great gun for an experienced gun person such as yourself. Having used both, the OP would be ill-advised to start with a .44 Cal magnum. A 10mm Glock is a much easier weapon to use. Also, the OP would be ill-advised to get a 9MM if he was going to use it against 2 or 4 legged predators in the great outdoors. A police officer fired 14 9MM shots into an attacking chimp, and the chimp was still able to run 2 miles before it dropped. A grizzly hit with a full clip of 10mm shells will drop on the spot. Its all about the context in which the OP will use the gun. So while you say a 10mm is NOT a good first choice, if they buy a 9mm for wildlife protection, that could be a disaster as it is basically useless. If they want home defense, get a guard dog.
I agree, there are many different types and calibers and like any tool you need to select the proper tool for the job. A 9 mm can be effective against wildlife such as a Mountain Lion but grossly under powered for large heavily muscled/bones animals.

No matter what you shoot, be it a .22 or a .50 S&W (neither are a good choice for self defense), shot placement is critical. If you can't shoot a .45 ACP or 10 mm accurately and you can with a .380 Auto then you are better off using the .380 Auto though most gun people would agree it is a bit on the low end for self defense.

Terminology is important, pistols use magazines not clips though there have been a few that did use a clip. A clip and a mag are different devices.

Too bad the OP hasn't replied back.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:17 am

ThereAreNoGurus wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:33 pm
A similar experience happened to one of my kids. His friend's father handed him a pistol with the mag removed (inside the home).

I had taught my kids that when you are handed a firearm, to ***ALWAYS*** check to see whether a round is chambered, even if you just saw somebody else check. This time there was a round in the chamber. My kid pointed that out to the dad, who obviously was unaware... really dumb, but fortunately my kids listened (at least when it comes to gun safety!).

If you always check (no exceptions), it becomes second nature.
Agreed, one of the first things I learned is to never hand over or accept a semiauto unless the slide is locked open and both giver and recipient can confirm that there is neither a round in the chamber nor a magazine inserted. Similarly, a revolver should have the wheel swung open. The only exception to this rule is when the gun is already (and remains) pointed down-range. For example, at the range I will sometimes load a gun for my wife or son. Throughout the entire process, the barrel is pointed in the general direction of (though not necessarily directly at) the paper target.

TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:28 am

zaplunken wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:07 am
gold99xx wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:43 pm
zaplunken wrote:
gold99xx wrote:

Carry on.

I agree, there are many different types and calibers and like any tool you need to select the proper tool for the job. A 9 mm can be effective against wildlife such as a Mountain Lion but grossly under powered for large heavily muscled/bones animals.

No matter what you shoot, be it a .22 or a .50 S&W (neither are a good choice for self defense), shot placement is critical. If you can't shoot a .45 ACP or 10 mm accurately and you can with a .380 Auto then you are better off using the .380 Auto though most gun people would agree it is a bit on the low end for self defense.

Terminology is important, pistols use magazines not clips though there have been a few that did use a clip. A clip and a mag are different devices.

Too bad the OP hasn't replied back.
Yes, the OP hasn't replied back and probably lost interest long ago. I have to say, the advice in this thread has been over the map (and much of it I disagree with).

For example, "A grizzly hit with a full clip of 10mm shells will drop on the spot." Now, I'm actually not a hunter, but I'm generally familiar with hunting equipment, and it's my belief that people who would hunt a grizzly bear would think in terms of a 30-06 rifle as sort of the minimum choice for a grizzly, and going to heavier calibers from there. The point being that a 10mm pistol is very much less than 30-06, and a lot less gun than you would want if you had a bear problem.

But not many people strapping a 10mm pistol on are that worried about grizzly bears. If they are, they should have good rifle handy. Or maybe a .44 magnum revolver in a pinch.

For that matter, I think a 9mm is awfully light for something as fast and strong as mountain lion. Sure it weighs less than a large adult male human, but it is much stronger (and more heavily muscled) than a human.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:42 am

jabberwockOG wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:40 pm
Read all the responses, nice to see lots of great and varied advice. Based on the reading I'm changing my recommendation for a first gun for a new shooter from a Glock semi-auto pistol to instead suggest purchasing and learning on a high quality 6 shot .38 caliber revolver.

Having owned and trained with various revolvers and pistols for 40+ years it is hard for me to remember how much easier (and safer) it was to start learning firearms skills with a revolver rather than a semi-auto. Any semi-auto pistol (like a Glock) introduce a level of complexity that is best taken on after a new shooter has learned and mastered the basics of using a firearm with a revolver. A revolver can most certainly bite you if used carelessly but I would bet that the rate of unintentional/negligent discharge on pistols is way higher than that of revolvers.

I also think revolvers as a class are in most cases easier to safely and effectively use for close quarters self defense. Also loaded revolver can sit in a bedside drawer for 20+ years and still be counted on to instantly be usable and operate perfectly (go bang) with minimal fuss.
+1
Wonderful input from everyone on this consumer issue.
Also:
Having associated for decades with a large number of competition match pistol(semi auto) shooters (male and female/IPSC, IDPA, etc), it might be surprising to some how a significant number of them choose a revolver as their daily CCW.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know

prudent

Post by prudent » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:55 am

Topic is locked (exhausted, no follow-ups from OP).

OP, send a PM to a moderator if you want to further discuss and re-open the topic.