Larry Swedroe’s Your Complete Guide To A Successful And Secure Retirement Coming Soon

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
Random Walker

Larry Swedroe’s Your Complete Guide To A Successful And Secure Retirement Coming Soon

Post by Random Walker » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:04 am

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-S ... dpSrc=srch

Larry’s next book, Your Complete Guide To A Successful And Secure Retirement will be coming out in January. Check out the editorial reviews by some big time Bogleheads: Mel Lindauer, Jane Bryant Quinn, Ed Tower, Frank Armstrong, Michael Kitces.

Dave

mhalley

Re: Larry Swedroe’s Your Complete Guide To A Successful And Secure Retirement Coming Soon

Post by mhalley » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:12 pm

No kindle version? What is this, the 20th century? :happy preordered anyway. Hope I don’t get a paper cut.

larryswedroe

Re: Larry Swedroe’s Your Complete Guide To A Successful And Secure Retirement Coming Soon

Post by larryswedroe » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:53 pm

Kindle will be ready shortly as well.
Was very pleased to get Wade Pfau to write the forward
Larry

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:56 pm

Great news on the kindle. Love all your books.

Oliver

Post by Oliver » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:50 am

Looking forward to reading the Kindle or Kobo version!

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:34 am

If I were to judge the book by its cover, I'd say it contains the answers I am looking for! (I've read a few other books by Larry and his co-authors; they are very solid.)
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!

fennewaldaj

Post by fennewaldaj » Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:48 am

Really looking foward to this one

marcopolo

Post by marcopolo » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:24 am

randomizer wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:34 am
If I were to judge the book by its cover, I'd say it contains the answers I am looking for! (I've read a few other books by Larry and his co-authors; they are very solid.)
If you went by the cover, you should have been able to stop reading these books at:
"The Only Guide You'll Ever Need for the Right Financial Plan: Managing Your Wealth, Risk, and Investments"

:sharebeer
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Golfview

Post by Golfview » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:29 pm

Just ordered my copy from Amazon and looking forward to reading it,
I just retired July 2018 and hope I can stay on track with help from one of the top experts in the field,,Larry's Swedroe's highly respected among fellow bogleheads so I don't think I'll be disappointed!

larryswedroe

Post by larryswedroe » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:25 am

To respond to marcopolo's comment
The only guide to right financial plan was written for those in the accumulation phase. This book is for those in the retirement planning phase, focused on all the issues one has to address, including planning a life in retirement, potential for cognitive decline, medicare, SS, HSAs, withdrawal strategies, issues women face, estate planning, reverse mortgages, longevity risk, preparing your heirs and transferring family values and of course the investment issues.
And for readers, just a reminder that I'm always happy to answer questions from readers. Just email me at lswedroe@bamadvisor.com
Best wishes
Larry

The Outsider

Post by The Outsider » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:35 am

Random Walker wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:04 am
https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-S ... dpSrc=srch

Larry’s next book, Your Complete Guide To A Successful And Secure Retirement will be coming out in January. Check out the editorial reviews by some big time Bogleheads: Mel Lindauer, Jane Bryant Quinn, Ed Tower, Frank Armstrong, Michael Kitces.

Dave
Thanks for the info! Will order. Is the link above the one that part of the bogleheads - amazon affiliate program?

I'd love to support the site and Mr Swedroe.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:39 am

larryswedroe wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:25 am
To respond to marcopolo's comment
The only guide to right financial plan was written for those in the accumulation phase. This book is for those in the retirement planning phase, focused on all the issues one has to address, including planning a life in retirement, potential for cognitive decline, medicare, SS, HSAs, withdrawal strategies, issues women face, estate planning, reverse mortgages, longevity risk, preparing your heirs and transferring family values and of course the investment issues.
And for readers, just a reminder that I'm always happy to answer questions from readers. Just email me at lswedroe@bamadvisor.com
Best wishes
Larry
Looks like a great book, Larry! I just read some of the sample Kindle version and will download it when I get home from my side hustle job.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:50 am

Thanks Larry, looking forward to the read. Great having a book focused on those of us just a few years out for retirement and then the transition.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:48 pm

Just picked up a Kindle copy and I am also looking forward to the read.
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:58 pm

mhalley wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:12 pm
No kindle version? What is this, the 20th century? :happy preordered anyway. Hope I don’t get a paper cut.
You can wear utility gloves before handling it.
"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word." George Washington

oldzey

Post by oldzey » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:44 pm

The Kindle Edition is currently the #1 New Release in Retirement Planning: https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-S ... B07KRGVCZY

Congrats!

"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

larryswedroe

Post by larryswedroe » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:01 am

For those interested, here's link to interview on the book with Motley Fool's Bob Brokamp
https://www.fool.com/podcasts/answers/2 ... urces-for/

And here's write up from Senior Financial Advisor
https://www.seniorfinanceadvisor.com/ne ... ent-review

Best wishes
Larry

larryswedroe

Canadian version

Post by larryswedroe » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:41 am

BTW, just worked out agreement with my friends at PWL Capital, Cameron Passmore and Ben Felix, for them to adapt the book in a Canadian version, just as they did with a prior book.
Best wishes
Larry

Topic Author
Random Walker

Post by Random Walker » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:07 pm

Here’s another interview of Larry where he discusses the book.

https://www.voiceamerica.com/guest/42937/larry-swedroe

Dave

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:04 pm

I'm about half-way through the book, and IMHO it is the best book thus far from Larry (and Kevin Grogan).

Many retirement books give great info on the financial side of retirement, the nuts & bolts of accumulating, then withdrawing from your retirement portfolio, but this book starts out on the "mental" side of retirement. First couple of chapters addresses that aspect of retirement. In reading this forum, it is evident to me that many questions about retirement actually have nothing to do with the finances of retirement, more the mental issues about a new adventure. That area is addressed in the book.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

larryswedroe

Post by larryswedroe » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:02 pm

Broken Man
Glad enjoying. Here's a piece that appeared in my local STL paper today on the book and making the same point you made.
https://www.stltoday.com/business/colum ... user-share

And as reminder to Bogleheads, always happy to answer questions from readers, just email at lswedroe@bamadvisor.com

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:07 pm

larryswedroe wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:02 pm
Broken Man
Glad enjoying. Here's a piece that appeared in my local STL paper today on the book and making the same point you made.
https://www.stltoday.com/business/colum ... user-share

And as reminder to Bogleheads, always happy to answer questions from readers, just email at lswedroe@bamadvisor.com
From Larry's link above:

".....Swedroe himself, who’s 67, is not ready to put his feet up just yet.

“I’ll retire the day it becomes work,” he said. “For me, the job is fun and it keeps me intellectually stimulated, and talking to people about their goals is very rewarding.”

He says he has told Buckingham that he expects to work full-time at least until age 72. With luck, he’ll distill his sound advice into another book or two before then...."

Good to know you aren't retiring soon, Larry!

I went to my pulmonary doc today, and he said he will have to work until he is 85 because he married a woman who is 20 years younger. He is currently 78, so he will be around awhile. Seems like some doctors and academics can work well beyond the norm. Doc said he will retire when wife qualifies for Medicare. I think honestly he likes the challenges. Dang guy has more hair on his head than I had when I was 40! Better genes than mine, I suppose. A lot smarter, too.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:06 pm

Just ordered the kindle version! I've been looking forward to this one.

I hope I don't find it too disturbing though, since I just retired a couple weeks ago.....
Retirement: When you reach a point where you have enough. Or when you've had enough.

jginseattle

Post by jginseattle » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:28 pm

I've placed a hold on the book for when it comes in at my local library. I'm looking forward to reading it.