[Peter Jackson’s “They shall not grow old” - now streaming on Amazon Prime]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
letsgobobby

[Peter Jackson’s “They shall not grow old” - now streaming on Amazon Prime]

Post by letsgobobby » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:22 pm

[Title was: "[Peter Jackson’s “They shall not grow old” - now showing Jan 21]"

Now available on Amazon Prime, see this post.

--admin LadyGeek]

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Re: Impressive film in theater Dec 17 and 27 only

Post by nisiprius » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:25 pm

Hopefully the film isn't 100 hours long.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:31 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:25 pm
Well it IS by Peter Jackson. :wink:
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

Gardener

Post by Gardener » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:32 pm

nisiprius wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:25 pm
If thats the case, hopefully theaters would allow you to bring outside food in.

Chicago60

Post by Chicago60 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:34 pm

letsgobobby wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:22 pm
Looks positively fascinating.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/the ... :00:00.000

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/16/movi ... e=Homepage

Tl;Dr - Peter Jackson of Lord of the Rings fame takes 100 hours of black and white footage from the Imperial War Museum in London and in a yearslong, painstaking process adds color, adjusts the frame rate to eliminate the jerky motion of the original film, and adds sound and authentic speech with the help of forensic lipreaders, bringing the past to life. The preview clips are astounding. I'm hoping this will complement the best war book I've ever read, The Beauty and the Sorrow: An Intimate Portrait of the First World War.
Thank you for posting. We saw the preview for this 1-2 weeks ago at another movie and this looked fascinating. I had forgotten the dates. Count me in. Running time is reportedly 2 hours.
Last edited by Chicago60 on Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Dec 16, 2018 7:35 pm

Thanks for posting. Watched the trailer. My wife and I are going tomorrow.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:22 am

We’re going tomorrow too. Hopefully tickets will not be sold out. My wife is studying WW1 right now so it is fortunate for us that you posted this, we weren’t aware of it previously. Thank you.

corysold

Post by corysold » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:59 am

Thanks for posting, I'm going to take my Dad who is a history buff.

If anyone is into WWI, Dan Carlin has a great podcast on the war, Blueprint to Armageddon, from his Hardcore History show. It was 5-6 shows, each 4-6 hours. Great info if you like that.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:29 pm

I'd LOVE to see it - too bad both dates are week-days (only time to get out to movies on weekends - even if I could make a night movie during the week - it is only during matinee hours in my area). Hopefully it will be on Prime-Video or NetFlix at some point.

nisiprius
Advisory Board

Post by nisiprius » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:02 pm

Saw it today. Thank you, letsgobobby. Really good, perfectly done, don't know quite what to say about it except that it's great and if you think you'd have any interest in it, you should see it when and if you can. I don't know what the future plans for this movie are. Basically, it's just a movie (what we saw was the "2D" version) and hopefully it will be available through all the usual channels after this "special event" presentation. Cost us $13.50 a ticket which is not all that much more than any other movie nowadays.

My wife and I both liked it, and we stayed for the half-hour post-film "bonus" featurette-thingy in which Jackson talks about how they made it. Perhaps the most interesting thing to me was the part where he was talking about the problem of films being hand-cranked; the frame rates of the original material are all over the map. What he was showing is that nevertheless it is easy to tell when you've got the correct frame rate because the action, which looks OK if you're one frame per second off, suddenly looks real when you hit exactly the right rate.

My wife and I are not particularly World War I buffs or fans of war movies--very disappointed in Dunkirk last year--so it's not naturally something we'd automatically like. The sense of being, if I can steal a phrase from an old record company, in the "living presence" of people is stunning. Indeed the biggest psychological problem is forgetting that this is all real, you keep think "such good acting, such good special effects." A credit at the end says "Filmed on location at the Western Front, 1914-1918."

Boy, oh boy oh boy did people have bad teeth back then. I don't know if there was one full set of teeth visible anywhere. I have to read some kind of history of dentistry sometime. By the time I was growing up in the 1950s in the US, it was pretty much expected that people would visit dentists regularly. That must have been something that came about during the first half of the twentieth century.

OK, one part that did not work well, although as Jackson says there was nothing they could do about it, and it did not go on too long, is that there was no actual footage of height-of-the-battle combat, so Jackson instead used artists' pictures of the combat that had been published in a contemporary periodical, "The War Illustrated," so, as Jackson said, it at least sort of had a period look, but instantly, of course, the sense of reality drops away and you are back in the familiar world of artistic re-creation, and as he says it was basically domestic propaganda--like really high-quality combat comic books. He intentionally uses closeups that show the half-tone dots.
Last edited by nisiprius on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:57 pm

They Shall Not Grow Old

We just got back from seeing the film, it was so well done! We saw it in 3D and stayed after the credits for the 1/2 hour “making of” film. You should too.

The research and attention to detail he used was impressive. One part I found interesting was that they employed lip-readers to figure out what the soldiers were saying in the silent film footage, then they figured out what part of England they were from, then they hired voice actors from the same part of England to get the accents just right. Not every director would do that. And when you view the film you can tell that yes, that’s exactly what they were saying!

Another example of the type of research and detail applied is that Jackson visited the actual battlefields in Belgium and France so he could get exactly the right shade of green for the grass growing there to be used in the film colorization. The same for the military patches on the uniforms, he obtained patches in order to match the colors. Everything had to be authentic.

This is a labor of love on Jackson’s part as his grandfather served throughout the war and was wounded several times. Jackson’s a WW1 buff, he personally owns many uniforms, war magazines from the era and even field artillery pieces, which he sound-recorded the loading and unloading of for the soundtrack (but not the firing, he recorded New Zealand army artillery for that part).

To sum up, what Jackson did was to bring that forgotten era really to life on the big screen.

Another interesting bit: J.R.R. Tolkien fought in that war and was influenced by his experience while writing The Lord Of The Rings, which made Jackson famous with his films earlier this century. I was reminded of this when the veterans described walking over the dead bodies and recalling the part in The Two Towers, the second book of the trilogy, where Gollum led Frodo and Samwise through the dead pools on their way to Mordor, and were horrified seeing the dead faces underwater. It might’ve been from something Tolkien experienced.

Almost forgot: Hinky dinky parlez vous! Now that song is stuck in my head!
Last edited by Nicolas on Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:34 pm, edited 9 times in total.

bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:31 pm

The power of this film is somewhat diminished by budget and time constraints, as well as the lack of WWI actual battle footage. But in spite of those limitations it is a marvelous one of a kind film. Documentaries in the past have not been like this. Documentaries in the future will likely be a lot like this. I urge you to see this trailblazing cinematic achievement in 3D in a theater.

BobK

PS - I saw They Shall Not Grow Old at a matinee performance in Alexandria. The relatively small auditorium was nearly sold out. But what was interesting was the makeup of the audience. At most of the movies I see there are singles, couples, and groups of women. At this movie there were many groups of middle aged men and older men, a few single men, and some couples. At first I wasn't sure I was in the right auditorium, but as the audience continued to file in, I knew I was in the right auditorium. :)
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.

Mickey7

Post by Mickey7 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:01 pm

Outstanding film!

Peter Jackson has woven a coherent film together from archival films of the war along with survivor recordings to truly give one the sense of what the war was like from many individual experiences from beginning to end. This is a view of what life was about from the "ground level".

LittleGreenSoldiers

Post by LittleGreenSoldiers » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:14 pm

Thank you for posting. I wish I had seen this post last night.
We just purchased tickets for the Dec 27 showing in our area.

MJW

Post by MJW » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:03 am

Wow, I hope I'm able to see this at some point.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:02 pm

LittleGreenSoldiers wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:14 pm
Thank you for posting. I wish I had seen this post last night.
We just purchased tickets for the Dec 27 showing in our area.
Same here!
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

Topic Author
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:38 pm

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bobcat2

Post by bobcat2 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:25 am

The song over the closing credits is the perfect blend of wry humor and cynicism. I've talked my wife into seeing it so I'll be going to see it a second time.

BobK
In finance risk is defined as uncertainty that is consequential (nontrivial). | The two main methods of dealing with financial risk are the matching of assets to goals & diversifying.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:47 am

Bought a ticket for the Thursday showing. Thank you for starting this thread, letsgobobby.

dustinst22

Post by dustinst22 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:08 pm

Thanks for the heads up, just got 3 tickets for the family on Thursday. Seats were almost completely sold out here.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:30 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:57 pm
They Shall Not Grow Old
Thanks to @Nicolas for being the first to mention the film's title, in the 11th post. I thought everyone was talking about the other Peter Jackson film out there and was surprised at all the kudos. Well, needless to say, They Shall Not Grow Old, has been and gone in my part of SoCal, which pretty much sums up the woeful commemoration of WW1 in America.

Topic Author
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:58 pm

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:17 pm

letsgobobby wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:58 pm

1. Good point on naming the film!
2. I can see why you call yourself Grumpy!
I'm less grumpy now. I decided to hit the road to see They Shall Not Grow Old. The least I can do. And I booked it on the Atom Films App and saved $6. But yes, I spend a lot of time in genealogy, reading about the poor boys who got their heads blown off, or then came back and blew their heads off themselves. And then people like Sgt. Alvin York, one of America's most decorated WW1 heroes - nada on the centenary of his achievements. Well, trying to curb my enthusiasm given the sheer drudgery of those Lord of the Rings films and then the embarrassment of the Tintin film.

But thank you, @letsgobobby!

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:42 pm

Thanks for starting this thread, my husband is definitely interested in this subject. So many things to do even in retirement.

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:45 pm

To those considering going to the Dec 27th showings, do stay for the ~30 minute "making of" portion after the main feature. The neatest part to me was how Peter Jackson described the decision to use voice over comments from actual British WWI veterans rather than historians, narrators etc. He said it wasn't planned that way but as they listened to the oral histories it just made sense. At first I thought the voice-over comments were actors perhaps reading from diaries or something because the sound quality was so good, but realized from the afterward that they were veterans recorded in the 60's and 70's. Extraordinary film.

shawcroft

Impressive film in theater Dec 17 and 27 only

Post by shawcroft » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:16 pm

Indeed, a very impressive film. We saw it on the 17th- read about it on the BH Forum that morning and immediately got tickets. It was sold out for the evening but- being "retired" we could make the afternoon showing.
Stayed for the "bonus" feature afterward and was impressed by the efforts made to ensure historic authenticity.
Hope it comes around again so other can see it.
Shawcroft

jharkin

Post by jharkin » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:29 am

I heard about this recently and being a history buff I just have to see it... unfortunately the holiday week is already stuffed with plans.... and its not exactly something I can drag my young children to.

On the bright side, I think I read somewhere there is going to be a second round wider release after February.

For hose who dont know - Peter Jackson is a massive WWI buff. In addition to this work he is also the unnamed financial benefactor of an organization in New Zealand called The Vintage Aviator Ltd. This company builds reproduction WWI fighting aircraft from original factory plans and by reverse engineering originals. The aircraft they build are precise down to the individual screw, all built with period authentic materials and techniques...

They go so far as to take 100 year old engines and x-ray them in order to reverse engineer and make new ones.... and they have some of the worlds only running Mercedes, Oberursel, Gnome, Beardmore, etc engines.

http://thevintageaviator.co.nz/

The aircraft they build are all flyable and in many cases are more accurate than many preserved originals (having been less accurately "restored" over the decades.) You can see their work in museums and flying displays all over the world, and in fact right here in the USA a number of the aircraft in Kermit Weeks "Fantasy of Flight" museum outside Orlando, FL where built or restored by TVAL. https://www.fantasyofflight.com/collection/

Vacationing in New Zealand to attend one of their airshow weekend/factory tours is on my retirement bucket list.

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:49 pm

Just saw it this afternoon. Incredible movie and the post-movie discussion was fascinating.

In October I had the chance to visit a couple of the WW I cemeteries and monuments in Belgium and this movie was quite the contrast to the now-peaceful fields there.

Edited to ask: has anyone seen anything about future showings? I have a number of a friends who would love to see it.
Friar1610

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:21 pm

Just got home from the theater. All film in the entire picture is historic, nothing modern, no actors or CGI whatsoever.
jharkin wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:29 am
For those who don't know - Peter Jackson is a massive WWI buff.
If you have read this entire thread, you know that Peter does an after-film commentary. In the commentary he discusses the production effort. Since all the film is silent, they had to create the sound effects. For the breech loading and unloading sounds, he said he “just happened to have a couple of WW1 artillery pieces” to record.

Who “just happens” have two World War One artillery pieces???

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:07 pm

David Jay wrote:
Thu Dec 27, 2018 5:21 pm
Since all the film is silent, they had to create the sound effects. For the breech loading and unloading sounds, he said he “just happened to have a couple of WW1 artillery pieces” to record.

Who “just happens” have two World War One artillery pieces???
Didn’t he make it sound like everyone has at least a few? ;)

What an impressive film. Very sad, too. And I’ll follow Peter Jackson’s suggestion to find out more about family members from those days.

For those who didn’t have a chance to see it:

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/pete ... 203092330/

“Fathom — which specializes in event cinema and is jointly owned by AMC, Cinemark and Regal — will show “They Shall Not Grow Old” at about 800 locations for two shows on Dec. 27. Warner Bros. will launch a theatrical release in New York, Los Angeles, and Washington, DC, on Jan. 11 and plans to expand to 25 markets on Feb. 1.”

camden

Post by camden » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:39 pm

Saw it today, and can highly fecommend. See it if it comes to your area, and be sure, as others have said, to stay past the credits for the discussion of the making of the film.

Topic Author
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:26 pm

Deleted
Last edited by letsgobobby on Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:55 pm

Encore performance is scheduled for January 21

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/the ... t-grow-old

friar1610

Post by friar1610 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:41 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:55 pm
Encore performance is scheduled for January 21

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/the ... t-grow-old
Thank you. Based on your post I sent an email to about 10 friends to whom I had written about it after I saw it 12/27. One guy (lives in FL for the winter) wrote back and said he ordered reserved seats at a theatre near him (this evening) and it was about half sold out.
Friar1610

SueG5123

Post by SueG5123 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:44 pm

Fabulous movie by Peter Jackson. I believe Fathom Events is running it again in various venues on January 21st.

BobStrauss

Post by BobStrauss » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:03 pm

I guess I have to be one of the lone negative reviews. I wanted to love it, and did find the remastered footage fascinating, but I didn’t find the style of the film too gripping. The authentic narration was great, but it jumped between speakers so rapidly that to me it lacked depth and direction. Also seemed a little too PG and celebratory of the whole experience of serving in combat. I thought Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History podcast on WWI was unbelievable, and perhaps that spoiled me concerning this film. He just went so deep with his sources, sharing anecdotes I’ll never forget. This film didn’t have nearly the same impact on me.

David Jay

Encore performance Jan. 21: Peter Jackson’s “They shall not grow old”

Post by David Jay » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:23 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Return engagement! To paraphrase neurosphere’s TD fund statement: “If you don’t know whether or not you should see this film, you should

This is a magnificent film of World War One, using only period footage and photos/illustrations. Find a theater here: https://www.fathomevents.com/events/the ... t-grow-old

Thread with discussion here from the first engagement: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=266612

Dottie57

Re: Encore performance Jan. 21: Peter Jackson’s “They shall not grow old”

Post by Dottie57 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:35 pm

Thank you for the info. I am gping to try to see it. My grandfather was a soldier in World War 1.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:18 pm

Thanks for the heads up! It was sold out at every theater for miles around for the last showing.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:28 pm

I put up a new notice for the encore date here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=269577

Calli114

Post by Calli114 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:14 pm

David Jay wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:28 pm
I put up a new notice for the encore date here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=269577

Thanks, I know someone really interested and was disappointed he missed the first shows.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:26 pm

bhsince87 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:18 pm
Thanks for the heads up! It was sold out at every theater for miles around for the last showing.
Seats may be more available than Dec. 27, when a lot of folks were off work between the holidays.

AlphaLess

Post by AlphaLess » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:53 pm

Might want to add the title.
"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than with just a kind word." George Washington

sandramjet

Post by sandramjet » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:46 pm

I've been trying for 2 hours to get a response from website... it won't let me pay online?? Anyone else having these issues?

trirod

Post by trirod » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:57 pm

I saw it on TV when I was visiting the UK at the end of November. Actually only made it through half of it - yes it was very good, but extremely intense too.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:19 pm

sandramjet wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:46 pm
I've been trying for 2 hours to get a response from website... it won't let me pay online?? Anyone else having these issues?
I bought my ticket in December with the Atom app (I had a $7 off discount code).

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: [Peter Jackson’s “They shall not grow old”]

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:09 pm

I merged David Jay's update back into the original thread. The thread has been retitled to reflect the update.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:26 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:09 pm
I merged David Jay's update back into the original thread. The thread has been retitled to reflect the update.
You might want to add something like "now showing again" or some such to the title.

I didn't know it was being re-shown, so that was very valuable information to me!
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:45 pm

Took my child and my father to this as his xmas present. Both of them really enjoyed it. Highly recommended.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: [Peter Jackson’s “They shall not grow old” - now showing again]

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:53 pm

bhsince87 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:26 pm
You might want to add something like "now showing again" or some such to the title.

I didn't know it was being re-shown, so that was very valuable information to me!
Got it, thanks.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.