Shingrix [Vaccine availability]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
northtexan

Re: Shingrix [Vaccine availability]

Post by northtexan » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:29 am

It is currently on back order and is being allocated to pharmacies meaning that they can only order a certain amount each time it is available. I work at a pharmacy in Texas and we have a list of about 80 people waiting to get it. It is not detrimental if you do not get the shot right at the 6 month mark but it should still be done as soon as possible.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:32 am

celia wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:14 am
sport wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:38 am
DW and I just received our second shot.... I used the same method in October for the first shot. I found the first shot at a Walgreens. This time, I found it at a supermarket pharmacy.
Why didn’t you wait longer for the second shot? The ideal spacing between the two shots is 6 months as I understand it.
We are on a wait list but since we’ve had the old shot, I’m not too worried. The Shingrex also is supposed to lose its effectiveness over time. You might want to repeat it every 20 or 30 years. We’ll know better as time goes on.
I received the two shots (2 1/2 months apart) in 2018 from my Kaiser medicare plan. My wife, however, because she is five years younger did not have high enough priority in 2018.

My understanding is that between 2 and 6 months for the two shots is "ideal".

sport

Post by sport » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:33 am

celia wrote:
sport wrote:
DW and I just received our second shot.... I used the same method in October for the first shot. I found the first shot at a Walgreens. This time, I found it at a supermarket pharmacy.
Why didn’t you wait longer for the second shot? The ideal spacing between the two shots is 6 months as I understand it.

We are on a wait list but since we’ve had the old shot, I’m not too worried. The Shingrex also is supposed to lose its effectiveness over time. You might want to repeat it every 20 or 30 years. We’ll know better as time goes on.
All the information we have seen says between 2 months and 6 months. I have never seen anything that says more spacing is better.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:44 am

sport wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:33 am
celia wrote:
sport wrote:

All the information we have seen says between 2 months and 6 months. I have never seen anything that says more spacing is better.
Yes - that is what I understand as well. In my case, with Kaiser, once my Physician got the approval for me to get the first shot, I was very confident that I could get the second shot within the 2-6 month window.

Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:52 am

IF you have ever had shingles, or have a friend/family member who has, you will not give a second thought to the possibility of getting a reaction from the vaccine....it's nothing compared to shingles!

We have excellent medical care in Syracuse, NY (five major hospitals and some seriously talented physicians and surgeons). Our personal physician jumped on Shingrix early (last spring) and we got our first shot the moment it was available at our local pharmacy. Our pharmacist knows us well and by June, there was already a shortage of vaccine; when it came time for our second shot, our pharmacist gave us a call and said, "come in, I'm holding aside your second dose for you." Whew. It's great to live in a small(ish)town with great medical care and personal relationships.

As to the reaction----my husband (mid 70s) had none; I'm a decade younger and had a bad reaction to the second shot: red rash on my arm, a day in bed with muscle aches, headache, low-grade fever, and.....the excuse to binge on Netflix.

That one lost day was nothing compared to getting shingles, which are horrific, painful, debilitating and can recur again and again.

From Consumer Reports on the Shingrix shortage:
https://www.consumerreports.org/shingle ... ilability/

Get your name on the list at your pharmacy if you have not yet got your vaccines----decidedly worthwhile.

Pacific

Post by Pacific » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:10 pm

Rus In Urbe wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:52 am
IF you have ever had shingles, or have a friend/family member who has, you will not give a second thought to the possibility of getting a reaction from the vaccine....it's nothing compared to shingles!
+1

My wife had a shingles attack 5 months before she turned 60 (we were waiting for 60 to get the old shot). Eye, forehead, side of face. Horrible. Now, over one year later, she is on her (hopefully) last dose of steroid frops for her eye.

I had gotten the old shot at 60. Then read about the new Shingrix and immediately got them. This was late December 2017 or early January 2018 and I simply went into Costco (no need for a prescription from a Dr.) and got the first one (2nd one also at Costco 4 months later). I suspect the quoted statement above is the reason the Shingrix supply is running short.

jacksonm

Post by jacksonm » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:23 pm

Rus In Urbe wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:52 am

We have excellent medical care in Syracuse, NY (five major hospitals and some seriously talented physicians and surgeons). Our personal physician jumped on Shingrix early (last spring) and we got our first shot the moment it was available at our local pharmacy. Our pharmacist knows us well and by June, there was already a shortage of vaccine; when it came time for our second shot, our pharmacist gave us a call and said, "come in, I'm holding aside your second dose for you." Whew. It's great to live in a small(ish)town with great medical care and personal relationships.

As to the reaction----my husband (mid 70s) had none; I'm a decade younger and had a bad reaction to the second shot: red rash on my arm, a day in bed with muscle aches, headache, low-grade fever, and.....the excuse to binge on Netflix.

That one lost day was nothing compared to getting shingles, which are horrific, painful, debilitating and can recur again and again.

From Consumer Reports on the Shingrix shortage:
https://www.consumerreports.org/shingle ... ilability/

Get your name on the list at your pharmacy if you have not yet got your vaccines----decidedly worthwhile.
I had shingles last winter and was wishing I had gotten the vaccine because you are right - it's much more horrific than a lot of people realize.

I was told to still get the vaccine but your negative reaction makes me wonder whether I should or not. I'm still suffering from some PHN (post-herpetic-neuralgia). I've been getting slowly better which I'm thankful for because for some people it never goes away. Given your reaction to the vaccine I'm worried it will cause a flare up. Think I will wait until my PHN is completely gone.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:34 pm

I had shingles last winter and was wishing I had gotten the vaccine because you are right - it's much more horrific than a lot of people realize.

I was told to still get the vaccine but your negative reaction makes me wonder whether I should or not. I'm still suffering from some PHN (post-herpetic-neuralgia). I've been getting slowly better which I'm thankful for because for some people it never goes away. Given your reaction to the vaccine I'm worried it will cause a flare up. Think I will wait until my PHN is completely gone.
I'd recommend checking with your doctor. I had shingles last Jan and my doc said that there was no need to wait, but then I had a mild case of shingles. Still some numbness/irritation on the back, but that's about it.

CDC says:
If you had shingles in the past, you can get Shingrix to help prevent future occurrences of the disease. There is no specific length of time that you need to wait after having shingles before you can receive Shingrix, but generally you should make sure the shingles rash has gone away before getting vaccinated.
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingl ... index.html

Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:35 pm

@jacksonm Ask your doctor. The risk for a shingles relapse might be worse than whatever reaction you might have to the vaccine! Not sure if the vaccine would worsen your PHN symptoms---or kick your immune system up a notch to fix the problem. Check with the experts.... Good luck to you!

Shingles.....bleh!

kramer

Post by kramer » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:58 pm

I am in the US for limited time periods, so I was a little nervous about getting my second shot in a timely manner -- in late December I was in the US from 5 to 5.5 months after my first shot and then leaving again. But I was able to get it at a CVS pharmacy in the San Diego area without problems ... I just assumed the shortage was over because they had plenty and I didn't have to call around or anything like the first time back in July. I got my flu shot at the same time. Zero reaction to the second Shingrix shot. The first shot had just made the shot location in my arm a little sore but I didn't even get that reaction this time.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:33 pm

Are there certain pharmacy chains that take wait lists?

We've been told there are no wait lists, and to "just keep calling".

Sigh.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

sport

Post by sport » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:47 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:33 pm
In my experience, it varies by individual stores.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:00 pm

My neighborhood Walgreens maintains a wait list and I was told that they had more than a thousand customers on the list. OMG!

A440

Re: Shingrix

Post by A440 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:45 pm

Cyclesafe wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 3:34 pm
Fortunately, the second injection isn't for 2 to 6 months after the first. My pharmacy has me on a list....
Same situation here in NJ

harmony

Post by harmony » Sat Jan 05, 2019 6:57 pm

Last fall I put my name on a wait list at my preferred CVS pharmacy, a campus town location. When they received a Christmas Eve shipment, I was called. I wanted the deductible to apply to my 2019 Part D insurance so I waited until yesterday to get the vaccine. I suppose they don't get a lot of requests for Shingrix in a college area since it's recommended for over age 50; thus the short wait.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:15 pm

When it was 1st publicized that this vaccine was available, I mentioned it to my pharmacist. He put me and my H and folks on a waiting list, contacted us when dose 1 and later dose 2 arrived. We got our doses 2 months and 1 day apart. Only H felt like he was running a slight cold after each injection, the rest of us were fine other than some pain at injection site.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:55 pm

celia wrote:
sport wrote:
The recommended time frame is between 2 and 6 months. See here.....

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/shingl ... /faqs.html

Quote from the above CDC page....
You and patients should make every effort to ensure that two doses are administered within the recommended 2-6 month interval. If more than 6 months have elapsed since the first dose, administer the second dose as soon as possible.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

annielouise

Post by annielouise » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:39 pm

I was lucky. I walked into Walgreens in July and asked if they had it and they did. Went back in October and asked if they had the second and they did. I did have a bad reaction to the 2nd shot (flu-like).

I am one of those rare people who got shingles when I was young (about 11). It was a fairly mild case. I also had chicken pox before age 1 which increases the odds of getting shingles. I was happy that they came out with a more effective vaccine that is administered to younger people (53 in my case).

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:47 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:36 pm
Although I take no maintenance drugs I had a very involved surgery a few months ago and needed pain and other meds during my fairly lengthy recovery. I seldom had a drug cost more that $4 and some were $1. The most expensive was around $15. Even with the surgery medications my Shingrix shot is not covered by my Part D plan because I haven't yet met my $405 Part D deductible. Needless to say, I've been very pleased after hearing so many horror stories about the cost of prescription drugs.
In my experience, antibiotics and pain meds are very inexpensive compared to some other meds, usually nowhere near even $10. I have other meds that clock in in the thousands.

celia

Post by celia » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:37 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:33 pm
We're on a wait list at RiteAid with the wait time being 6 months where we live (as long as the same delivery schedule continues).

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:51 am

we're all different...

the first shot i had the most discomfort (it didn't rise to the level of "pain") i've ever had from a shot.

the 2nd shot had absolutely no discomfort at all.

PalmQueen

Post by PalmQueen » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:04 pm

This is my understanding and experience with Shingrix --

Both the first and second dose are the same shot
Recommend the second shot is administered between 2 - 6 months after the first
You may (or may not) feel lousy the day after the shot so plan accordingly

Some people don't have any adverse reactions and others have reactions after the first, second or both. In my experience I felt just a bit "off" the day after the first shot, but felt like I had a full-blown case of the flu the day after the second shot. It only lasted a day and I much prefer that to Shingles.

I had a hard time finding the shot but, did get the second shot about 3 months after the first.
Just put a reminder on the calendar at 2 months out and called around to various pharmacies.
Some have waiting lists others have given up and just tell people to keep checking in.
For the first shot our doctor had sent an Rx to our pharmacy which put us on their waiting list.
For the second shot, we were able to find it at a different pharmacy before it was back in stock at our regular pharmacy.

Well worth the effort IMO. :happy

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:07 pm

PalmQueen wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:04 pm
Some people don't have any adverse reactions and others have reactions after the first, second or both. In my experience I felt just a bit "off" the day after the first shot, but felt like I had a full-blown case of the flu the day after the second shot. It only lasted a day and I much prefer that to Shingles
Mine as well.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:09 pm

PalmQueen wrote:

Some people don't have any adverse reactions and others have reactions after the first, second or both. In my experience I felt just a bit "off" the day after the first shot, but felt like I had a full-blown case of the flu the day after the second shot. It only lasted a day and I much prefer that to Shingles.

I had a hard time finding the shot but, did get the second shot about 3 months after the first.
Just put a reminder on the calendar at 2 months out and called around to various pharmacies.
Some have waiting lists others have given up and just tell people to keep checking in.
For the first shot our doctor had sent an Rx to our pharmacy which put us on their waiting list.
For the second shot, we were able to find it at a different pharmacy before it was back in stock at our regular pharmacy.

I didn't know an Rx was needed for Shingrix.

Was your pharmacy giving priority to those "with a doctor's note" over those who just "asked for the shot"?

We are trying to figure this out.
(We have other travel vaccines we've also needed to space out, so it's not like we've just twiddled our thumbs, but it's time to focus on Shingrix, and there still seems to be none locally. Need some serious telephone time, it seems...)

RM

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:22 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:09 pm
PalmQueen wrote:

Was your pharmacy giving priority to those "with a doctor's note" over those who just "asked for the shot"?

(We have other travel vaccines we've also needed to space out, so it's not like we've just twiddled our thumbs, but it's time to focus on Shingrix, and there still seems to be none locally. Need some serious telephone time, it seems...)

RM
My advice is to put yourself on multiple waiting lists and get your first shot at whatever pharmacy calls you in first. If you can get a prescription go ahead, that can't hurt, but I wouldn't pay for a doctor's appointment to get it.

At the 2-month point after your first shot put yourself on multiple waiting lists again, including at the pharmacy where you got your first shot (they may give you higher priority). Get your second shot at whichever pharmacy calls you first.

FYI, many doctors offices have the vaccine too so if you're going to the doctor for a checkup as for the shot there. They may or may not have it available at the time.

Also, doctors' offices can be more expensive than pharmacies and some pharmacies are more expensive than others. If price is important to you (and insurance is not paying) then check prices first. Ask for the total price including administration. Sometimes there's a separate -'administration fee' for each shot.

Good luck!
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:34 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:22 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
PalmQueen wrote:

RM
My advice is to put yourself on multiple waiting lists and get your first shot at whatever pharmacy calls you in first. If you can get a prescription go ahead, that can't hurt, but I wouldn't pay for a doctor's appointment to get it.

At the 2-month point after your first shot put yourself on multiple waiting lists again, including at the pharmacy where you got your first shot (they may give you higher priority). Get your second shot at whichever pharmacy calls you first.

FYI, many doctors offices have the vaccine too so if you're going to the doctor for a checkup as for the shot there. They may or may not have it available at the time.

Also, doctors' offices can be more expensive than pharmacies and some pharmacies are more expensive than others. If price is important to you (and insurance is not paying) then check prices first. Ask for the total price including administration. Sometimes there's a separate -'administration fee' for each shot.

Good luck!
Thanks.
At least, cost isn't a concern, as it is covered 100% by insurance. IF we can get it!
(But we'd pay, if that made a difference, but it doesn't seem to be a factor.)

Alas, no physicians/hospital clinics have it locally (or they aren't telling!).

And thus far, the pharmacies are saying "no waiting lists, just keep calling". :annoyed
I'd think they'd rather 'take names' than keep getting phone calls, which suggests to me that a lot of people aren't actually calling around, or not frequently.

But we are also being told there haven't been any shipments locally since October, and this is a major medical area, so that doesn't quite make sense for the entire area. Yet, no one seems to have info about any actual availability, and hasn't for some time.

I sure hope that for anyone who has had the first shot, there is some better way to get that second shot, given the "window".

RM

sport

Post by sport » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:17 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
It is not needed.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:39 pm

sport wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:17 pm
ResearchMed wrote:
It is not needed.
Thanks.

I mentioned that in response to the comment above:

"For the first shot our doctor had sent an Rx to our pharmacy which put us on their waiting list."

Perhaps that helps with priority on a waiting list?
Er, that is, IF we can even find a waiting list!

RM

LeftCoast

Post by LeftCoast » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:34 pm

I thought it was important to get the Shingles vaccine because many years ago my grandmother had shingles across her face and lost her sight in one eye.

Got the first dose at my doctor's office last May.

Six months later, the doctor's office says they can't get the vaccine and they put me on a waiting list (they haven't called).
I visited the local Walgreens and got on their waiting list (they haven't called).
I called the local Rite-Aid and they said their waiting list is full.

Last month, I'm shopping at Costco and dropped by the pharmacy to get on their list. The pharmacist says they just got a shipment that morning, and since I needed the second dose and was present and asking, they would give me the second dose. Just got lucky. No prescription necessary.

With both doses, I felt lousy the next day.

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:00 pm

sport wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:
It is not needed.
age dependent - if you (for unknown reason) need to be vaccinated before the recommended age (I think that's 60?50?*)

* see subsequent postings
Last edited by InMyDreams on Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:04 pm

InMyDreams wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:00 pm
sport wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:
It is not needed.
age dependent - if you (for unknown reason) need to be vaccinated before the recommended age (I think that's 60?)
Ah, thanks.
Good to know, although we are well "old enough" :annoyed
I just didn't understand about the Rx part.

RM

sport

Post by sport » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:06 pm

The questionnaire we filled out when we got the last shot asked "Are you at least 50 years old?"

InMyDreams

Post by InMyDreams » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:15 pm

sport wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:06 pm
The questionnaire we filled out when we got the last shot asked "Are you at least 50 years old?"
updated my post. Wikipedia agrees that it is approved for 50+/

But - zostavax was eventually approved for 50+, but my insurance stated it would not pay until 60. So, check with your insurance, too.

PalmQueen

Post by PalmQueen » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:42 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
PalmQueen wrote:

RM
No you totally do NOT need an Rx for the Shingrex shot.

When I saw my doc for my annual physical, we discussed the Shingrex shot so he submitted an Rx to my usual pharmacy.
I called the pharmacy one day inquiring about availability and they said they had gotten a shipment the day before but they were already gone.
I mentioned that I had an Rx on file and they said "Oh - yes, we've got one held for you."

I got the second dose at a different pharmacy that had no Rx on file.

BTW - Don't overlook the in-house pharmacies at large clinics. They've got them too.

Utahdogowner

Post by Utahdogowner » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:47 pm

HueyLD wrote:
Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:41 pm
Does one have to be at least 65 to get the insurance to pay for this vaccine?
Actually, commercial insurance products usually pay 50-65 w/o problems, but Medicare and it's flavors won't cover at all.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:52 pm

Utahdogowner wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:47 pm
HueyLD wrote:
Actually, commercial insurance products usually pay 50-65 w/o problems, but Medicare and it's flavors won't cover at all.
But my Part D underwriter lists Shingrix in their Tier 3 formulary

mickeyd

Post by mickeyd » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:59 pm

I received the original Shingles vaccine about 10 years ago. I think that I am still eligible for Shingrix also.
I inquired at the local military hospital and was told that they did not have it yet. I have a VA appointment next week and will try to get it there.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle

partner

Post by partner » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:06 pm

My wife and I just got the second shot. When we got the first back in Oct/18 at CVS minute clinic they put the second dose in the fridge with our name on the box and gave us an appointment for administering it. We walked in and they pulled it out of the fridge and shot it. They commented that they had not had any since Oct (probable the same batch).
My wife was laid up in bed the next day with the flu (like) but all I had was a sore, hot, red lump on my arm.
Aetna paid full cost of all.

Dantes

Post by Dantes » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:17 pm

The Shingrix shortage continues. I just called the mega-U clinic where I got my first shot last July; they are currently giving second shots to people who got their first last May; they are no longer giving first shots at all, they can't get enough supply for the people due second shots.

JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:47 pm

LeftCoast wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:34 pm
Last month, I'm shopping at Costco and dropped by the pharmacy to get on their list. The pharmacist says they just got a shipment that morning, and since I needed the second dose and was present and asking, they would give me the second dose. Just got lucky. No prescription necessary.
Lucky! My Costco says they can't even get a ship date from the manufacturer! They say to call every month. :(

Utahdogowner

Post by Utahdogowner » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:50 am

neilpilot wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:52 pm
Utahdogowner wrote:
HueyLD wrote:
Wow. Awesome. We haven't seen that w any yet. Good to hear and saves you 480 or so!

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:26 pm

Utahdogowner wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:50 am
neilpilot wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:52 pm
Utahdogowner wrote:
HueyLD wrote:
Wow. Awesome. We haven't seen that w any yet. Good to hear and saves you 480 or so!
FWIW:
From medicare.gov.
Shingles shots

Medicare Part A (Hospital Insurance) or Medicare Part B (Medical Insurance) don't cover the shingles shot.
Generally, Medicare prescription drug plans (Part D) cover all commercially available vaccines (like the shingles shot) needed to prevent illness. Contact your Medicare drug plan for more information about coverage.

Another datapoint, yesterday I inquired about the shots at Publix, but they haven't worked thru their backlog. The pharmacist did say she thought the vaccine was expected to be more available in a couple of months.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

dollarsaver

Post by dollarsaver » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:57 pm

sport wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:
It is not needed.
An Rx is needed in some states to get the Shringrix shots. I live in Maine and needed an Rx.

rjbraun

Post by rjbraun » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:41 pm

dollarsaver wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:57 pm
sport wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:
It is not needed.
An Rx is needed in some states to get the Shringrix shots. I live in Maine and needed an Rx.
I don't know what is the determining factor for Rx requirement. Perhaps it's driven by the insurer. In any case, I can say with absolute certainty that the CVS pharmacy required that my doctor provide an Rx for me. Both times that I went to be vaccinated (shot #1, shot #2. I was 59.9 years the first time around, then 60+ the next visit. SO was 65+ and did not require an Rx, either visit.

Swansea

Re: Shingrix

Post by Swansea » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:04 am

mariezzz wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:50 pm
LSLover wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:10 pm
dm200 wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:13 pm
drzzzzz wrote:
Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:04 pm
Per the manufacturer and our local pharmacies, it is supposedly easier to find the second shot now or will be shortly
Just had my 2nd shot :)

Are the two shots identical stuff?
I asked that very question when my 2nd shot was administered and was told affirmatively. For some reason, however, I had much more pronounced fever-like reaction for about 3 days after the second shot as compared to the first one...
The first dose could have sensitized you to the second. Or any other number of explanations, including something about your health (immune response) was different between the 2 doses.
I had mild soreness after the second shot. The nurse told me that was not unusual.

A440

Post by A440 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:23 pm

FWIW,
Got my 2nd shot today at local Acme Pharmacy. I was on the list and they called me to let me know they had some in stock. 1st shot was in August.

khh

Post by khh » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:37 pm

A440 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:23 pm
FWIW,
Got my 2nd shot today at local Acme Pharmacy. I was on the list and they called me to let me know they had some in stock. 1st shot was in August.
Glad to hear it. I got #1 in early August, #2 in late November. Spent the night shivering under wool blankets after second shot, but felt better the next day. Glad they're out of the way now!

:sharebeer

Taz

Post by Taz » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:56 am

If you have TRICARE Prime, it is free if you receive it at one the the network pharmacies. For me - Publix, Walgreens, Winn-Dixie, WalMart, and COSTCO.

If you have TRICARE for life, it is not free and must be administered in a doctor's office. Vaccine information on the other flavors of TRICARE are at this website: https://tricare.mil/CoveredServices/IsI ... lesVaccine (Yes, I could make the link pretty but I like to see what I'm clicking on upfront :D ).
The destination matters.