Vanguard Statements - Print or Electronic

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Vanguard Statements - Print or Electronic

Post by abuss368 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:27 pm

Bogleheads -

In the age of paperless (including environmental considerations) and reducing clutter: Do you print out your investment statements or save them electronically?

We presently have "year to date" statements at Vanguard where the final statement details all transactions during the year. We have been printing statements each year and adding to a binder. I review, file, and then for the most part do not revisit. See you in a year basically! The binder is growing. I recently printed 40 pages between all accounts. That prompted me to step back and reconsider everything. Vanguard has from 2006 to present online. I am assuming they will continue to prune as the years go by.

We have now saved all statements electronically and made a second backup.

I am interested in thoughts.
Last edited by abuss368 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Invest4lt

Re: Vanguard Statements - Print or Electronic

Post by Invest4lt » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:35 pm

No paper here. I download the statements and backup to the cloud. I don’t see any reason to print.

KJVanguard

Post by KJVanguard » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:38 pm

I'm an old fart (at 45) and I want paper statements mailed to me. Yes, I know this kills trees, but I make up for this by having tons of trees on my property.

When I am dead it can all be recycled. Yes, I know there is a cost to this as well, though I'm still cheap for Vanguard to keep with a $2.5M portfolio. I pay enough expenses to cover some postage & paper.

drzzzzz

Post by drzzzzz » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:37 pm

Since 2012, all transactions in taxable accounts have specific cost basis available on-line as as option as long as you use specific ID, so I not sure what the benefit is to printing the statements, not even sure downloading them is essential for statements since 2012, unless you think Vanguard or another company will mess up your tax basis reporting by losing, misreporting at a later date, or somehow corrupting the information. ,

TierArtz

Post by TierArtz » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:54 pm

I don't save the ones mailed to me, print off of the website, or download them. I should probably start doing the latter.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Jan 05, 2019 9:57 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (archiving documents).

I download everything, then ensure it's backed up with the rest of my stuff.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

xenial

Post by xenial » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:01 pm

Electronic for me. I save them digitally with multiple backups. Having invested at Vanguard for ages, I do still have my printed statements from pre-internet days.

wassabi

Post by wassabi » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:05 pm

Definitely electronic. I download monthly and yearly statements and keep them backed up to multiple locations with my regular computer backups.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:34 pm

Invest4lt wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:35 pm
No paper here. I download the statements and backup to the cloud. I don’t see any reason to print.
Same here.

Big Dog

Post by Big Dog » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:36 pm

I'm a troglodyte, so I refused electronic until last year when I got tired of shredding all of the monthly statements. I do still require hardcopy year-end and tax statements, however.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:16 pm

Paper Always. You need a paper trail when you'er gone for heirs to follow.
All the Best, | Joe

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:45 pm

I have year-end statements only mailed to me and that's all I save.

I haven't contributed anything to my taxable account since retirement 15+ years ago. All of my taxable is in Vanguard Total Stock market. I tax-loss harvested that entire account during the '08-'09 downturn which resulted in many years of tax savings and since then I've kept the dividends for spending rather than re-investing. For those reasons all of the shares are at the same cost which by definition is average cost. I no longer need much in the way of records. :D

Most of this good fortune is due to the great information and advice I've gleaned from Bogleheads over the years. Thanks!! :beer

Edit: After reading this thread I will likely change my preferences to receive all statements electronically. I changed to e-delivery many years ago for everything except year-end statements just as a precaution against my forgetting to print and file the one statement that is important to me (year-end). But the points about increasing unreliability of the U.S. Mail are good ones. Although my P.O. Box is secure I have experienced mis-delivery problems both of my mail to others and others' mail to me. I will continue to print and file the year-end statement.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

pdavi21

Post by pdavi21 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:49 pm

There is no reason to save any of your statements. Save the deed to your house, an electronic file listing your assets, and a copy of your will.

EDIT: and your HSA receipts...

yangtui

Post by yangtui » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:53 pm

zero paper. everything is electronic.

billyo44

Post by billyo44 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:35 am

eDelivery for everything possible...especially anything dealing with financial/tax statements. U.S. Postal delivery is anything but reliable in my neighborhood. I've found my neighbor's financial statements in my mail before...not cool.
I keep a printed copy of the year-end statements with my yearly tax packet...but should do as mentioned by others...save all monthly statements electronically and backup on a regular basis.
Independence = Financial assets working for you versus you working for them.

Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:09 am

It appears that many Bogleheads are going the electronic route.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

CatWrangler

Post by CatWrangler » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:26 pm

Electronic. Paper takes up so much room, is so easy to lose, so hard to search through, just more clutter and something to take up time and energy.

BostonBoy

Post by BostonBoy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:46 pm

I have the year end statements mailed to me. Those are the only VG statements I retain.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:03 pm

My statements are all electronic. Beyond that, I never look at them unless I'm moving the account and need it to send to the new company.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

beagler1

Post by beagler1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:05 pm

How does one opt for only year end paper statements? That + electronic interim statements seems ideal.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:17 pm

beagler1 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:05 pm
How does one opt for only year end paper statements? That + electronic interim statements seems ideal.
If you find "customize your mail delivery preferences" on the Vanguard website there are columns for 'e-delivery', 'U.S. Mail' and 'Printed Notice.' The first row on the left is titled 'Statements and annual privacy policy notice' and to the right of this is an option for 'Mail year-end statement'.

Unfortunately you'll still be pestered to change to electronic delivery from time to time when you log-in but that can be bypassed.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:31 pm

BostonBoy wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:46 pm
I have the year end statements mailed to me. Those are the only VG statements I retain.

That is what I do as well. 99.999% of Vanguard holdings are in tax-deferred accounts, so no need to worry about keeping price info.

All the the year-end household statements are in a four inch binder. Plenty of room left.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:36 pm

mptfan wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:34 pm
Invest4lt wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:35 pm
Same here.
I am surprised that this is a topic.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

beagler1

Post by beagler1 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:12 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:17 pm
beagler1 wrote:
If you find "customize your mail delivery preferences" on the Vanguard website there are columns for 'e-delivery', 'U.S. Mail' and 'Printed Notice.' The first row on the left is titled 'Statements and annual privacy policy notice' and to the right of this is an option for 'Mail year-end statement'.
Odd, under "Statements and annual privacy policy notice"
Choices I get are: e-delivery or us mail. No "year end mail option"

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:18 pm

beagler1 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:12 pm
FrugalInvestor wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:17 pm
beagler1 wrote:
Odd, under "Statements and annual privacy policy notice"
Choices I get are: e-delivery or us mail. No "year end mail option"
I do not have a brokerage account so am apparently on the old platform. Maybe these options have been removed on the new one?

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:25 pm

I went to "New Accounts" and then to "Service Options Checklist." Under '#3 Save Paper and Time' is a link to 'View or Update Mailing Preferences.'

Hope this works for you. If not, it may be because I am on the old mutual fund platform rather than the new brokerage platform.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:42 pm

I had to laugh at the comment of leaving a paper trail for heirs. Why, because you can't write on your instructions "you'll find on my computer/tablet/thumb drive/cloud account statements for all my holdings"? You also may not know that when you pass away, the executor will receive a final statement on the account (paper) anyway...

I have nearly everything turned off. Every few months, I log into all my accounts and download PDFs and save them.

I will be embarking upon a "digitize the world" project this year also, eliminating as much historical paperwork as possible.

Post by 2015 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:00 pm

joe8d wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:16 pm
In my case, paper never. I have an explicit digital trail that my heirs will easily be able to follow.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:03 pm

Lately I’ve been going more toward electronic. I noticed some banks only have 3 year max for statements, like Bank of America for example. But TDAmeritrade goes back to as long as I have the account opened with them.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:17 pm

Electronic.

obgraham

Post by obgraham » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:59 pm

I can't see why anyone would insist on mailed statements, even just the year end.

They are all there on the website for me. I download and/or make a pdf of them. That copy is in a well organized computer folder, just like a paper copy used to be. In the unlikely event that I need one, print a copy then. What could be simpler?

This week I had my 2018 Household Statement read, copied, and filed within 15 minutes of it being ready. (A lot of it was ugly, too!)

AAA

Post by AAA » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:05 pm

I keep (multiple copies of) the most recent statements. I guess I do this so that in the event of a big IT disruption I could have documentation of my account. But I sometimes wonder - as it is probably easy to fabricate such documents, would Vanguard or other entity actually reconstitute my account just on the basis of what I present to them?

RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:35 pm

AAA wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:05 pm
I keep (multiple copies of) the most recent statements. I guess I do this so that in the event of a big IT disruption I could have documentation of my account. But I sometimes wonder - as it is probably easy to fabricate such documents, would Vanguard or other entity actually reconstitute my account just on the basis of what I present to them?
They absolutely would not.

GoPackGo

Post by GoPackGo » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:37 pm

For those that backup financial statements to the cloud, what service do you use, Dropbox, Google Drive, something else?

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:33 pm

KJVanguard wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:38 pm
I'm an old fart (at 45) and I want paper statements mailed to me. Yes, I know this kills trees, but I make up for this by having tons of trees on my property.

When I am dead it can all be recycled. Yes, I know there is a cost to this as well, though I'm still cheap for Vanguard to keep with a $2.5M portfolio. I pay enough expenses to cover some postage & paper.
45 is not old enough to blame your love of paper on age. 8-) That's just your personal preference. I'm 48. We were the first generation to grow up with computers at home, at school, and at work. :sharebeer

I hate paper records. Even at work, I have managed to virtually eliminate paper for our vendor contracts. We used to have a large room with racks of yellow binders full of contracts. Now the room is gone. Everything is digitized. And all signatures are digital. (Notice letters are about the only thing that I ever have to put on paper.)

I will not miss them when paper statements, prospectuses, and reports are no longer available.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:12 pm

GoPackGo wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:37 pm
For those that backup financial statements to the cloud, what service do you use, Dropbox, Google Drive, something else?
I use Google Drive. Rather than use it as a backup, it's more accurate to say that it is my primary storage...I sometimes download backup copies to my Chromebox.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:08 am

The end of year statement replaces all of the monthly statements when it is available.

I do electronic monthly statements with the printed End of Year statement option. (Note: you used to be able to select this at vanguard.com, now you have to ask for it via online message or phone).

Works for me, although as my secure e-archiving improves, I will probably shift the end of year statement to electronic too.

jackholloway

Post by jackholloway » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:19 am

I pull down electronic statements every month and the year end. I print out the year end and save with my tax returns. Someday I will probably stop printing paper, bu5 it does not take ,ugh space, and gives peace of mind.

I store many docs in google drive.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:32 am

I’m thinking maybe to print out just year end for our record. I used to hate it when they keep sending me monthly statements. Maybe it’s a good compromise.

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:40 am

I (almost) never save or look at any periodic investment statement. If I want to see what I have, I logon and look.
I like to follow the don't-peek approach as much as possible, but often curiosity gets the better of me.

(As an aside, I try to minimize paper in my house because I feel it's a fire hazard.)

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:45 pm

rgs92 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:40 am
I (almost) never save or look at any periodic investment statement. If I want to see what I have, I logon and look.
I like to follow the don't-peek approach as much as possible, but often curiosity gets the better of me.

(As an aside, I try to minimize paper in my house because I feel it's a fire hazard.)
This has been the approach we have been moving towards.

gks

Post by gks » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:06 pm

abuse,

Like you, I am moving to electronic statements. I download all statements to either a pdf or txt (local bank) file. They eventually are backed up to a thumb drive and external hard drive. Paper tax statements are added to an 11x9 manilla envelope and archived in a basement cabinet. I could scan the paper statements, but I'm lazy.

I used to put annual statements in a 3-ring binder, but Vanguard has almost solved that problem, since I still get Computershare paper reports for a legacy stock. Read above for lazy.

Greg

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:47 pm

Update: We shredded all paper statements and removed the binder.

We have all statements electronically saved as:
* Saved on laptop
* Backed up to cloud
* Backed up to external back up drive
* Backed up to thumb drive
* Past 13 years available online with Vanguard.

Overkill? Actually no. The cloud and external hard drive back up is automatic. Once a year I save to the computer and update thumb drive.

Wow. The office closet is starting to appear empty!

PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:01 pm

joe8d wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:16 pm
Agreed. While I have everything delivered electronically, I do make a copy of the year end statements and put it in my book for my heirs. I replace the old one. I do this with everything - even including utility bills. Why? Because it will make things MUCH easier for my heirs if they can pull the book out of my safe and see everything they need to know in one place - all the way down to who cuts my hair. I started doing this after being Executor of a couple of estates and having to hunt for everything. Obviously, some people have the "I'm dead, why would I care" attitude, but not me.

If anyone is interested I use the Get It Together Planner and software from NOLO to do this. It's a little work to get set up, but not hard to maintain. I think my DW and kids will appreciate the work I put into it when I'm gone.

lws

Post by lws » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:22 pm

Most paper statements are difficult for me to read. The text is usually too small.
With electronic statements can enlarge the text.

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:38 pm

lws wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:22 pm
Most paper statements are difficult for me to read. The text is usually too small.
With electronic statements can enlarge the text.
Very good point!

infotrader

Post by infotrader » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:39 pm

I do both: have the year end statement mailed to me, and save a copy online.

Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:26 pm

I have not received a mailed copy in over a decade. Come on Bogleheads, keep the investment costs low!