The Three-Fund Portfolio

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: The Three-Fund Portfolio

Post by abuss368 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:00 am

LocalHero wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:33 am
Taylor,
Just a quick note on a nit in The Bogleheads Guide to the Three-Fund Portfolio. On page xxi, note 1, the word Yachts is missing from the title. I just received the book yesterday and its been a great read so far. Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Best wishes,
JB aka Localhero
I have heard much about that booked but have never read it. Please share your thoughts when you finish.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

LocalHero

Post by LocalHero » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:41 pm

abuss368
If you read Taylor's original post in this thread you will have the gist of the book. Taylor is consistent throughout his many posts on this forum. The book describes his investing journey from stock picking to following newsletters to picking funds via Morningstar data ... to reading Jack Bogle's Bogle on Mutual funds and Burton Malkiel's A Random Walk Down Wall Street from which he saw the light. He moved all his investments to Vanguard and has never looked back. It details all the many advantages of total market index funds.
The most important takeaways for me are the simplicity of the scheme, the emphasis on low costs, and the stay the course message.
Recommended read.
Best wishes,
JB aka LocalHero
Remember, I'm pulling for you. We're all in this together. -- Red Green

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:55 pm

Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.