Ideas for Nashville trip?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
conundrum

Ideas for Nashville trip?

Post by conundrum » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:13 am

We are headed to Nashville for a 4 day weekend this fall. Any ideas for places to stay, eat or things to do? Thanks everyone for your help.

Drum
:lol:

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:17 pm

We enjoyed staying in the Opryland area. The Opryland Hotel is interesting to walk thru with waterfalls, a river, fountains and a conservatory inside the hotel. Pretty pricey to stay there however.

We also enjoyed the General Jackson riverboat cruise we took - the show was the Chinese Acrobats.

Things I would have like to have done if I had the time were explore the downtown riverfront, Andrew Jackson's estate, and Ryman Auditorium and Grand Old Opry.

CrossOverGuy

Post by CrossOverGuy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:29 pm

There is a full-size recreation of the Greek Parthenon in Centennial Park. Also the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum is a lot of fun, including a studio where many hits, including ones by Elvis Presley were recorded.

The Grand Ol' Opry is a lot of fun; besides great country music, it is a hoot that folks taking photos with their cameras during the performance going down the aisles is not only permitted, but practically encouraged!

NERD777

Post by NERD777 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:37 pm

I second the country music hall of fame. I would recommend a night out on Broadway watching some live country music, Wildhorse Saloon is a personal favorite. Also on Broadway is Mike's Ice Cream. It's delicious and they will let you sample a bunch and mix and match. I never thought I'd be so excited to recommend an ice cream place in Nashville, but it's REALLY good.

Angst

Post by Angst » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:38 pm

If you like music, here are a few ideas. (I haven't been there since the flood a couple years ago... I trust 1 & 3 are still there! I'm sure 2 is.)

1) Station Inn - Great bluegrass music. Can eat there, it's close to downtown.

2) Bluebird - If you enjoy the singer-songwriter thing, call the Bluebird to make reservation for dinner and confirm music that night, style, etc. Not fancy or extremely expensive.

3) Roberts Western - On "Lower Broadway", downtown, honky tonk bar that is wonderful. No cover, band often full of amazing session players, often play old classic upbeat country as well as more modern stuff, all of which is great, danceable... it's a bar atmosphere. Sell food too - cheap.

The area out 21st street/Hillsboro towards and just past Vanderbilt is good. Around the school there are a lot of nice places to eat, shop. Fido's coffeehouse is interesting...

These are just a few quick ideas. Enjoy.

(Opryland is not my cup of tea! If you like mall shopping though... There is more to it than that, I admit.)

relentless

Post by relentless » Sat Sep 03, 2011 2:56 pm

If you enjoy history, The Hermitage (Andrew Jackson's house and estate) is worth visiting.

scouter

Post by scouter » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:25 pm

If you will be there on a Monday evening, the best thing you can do is go to the Station Inn (early, you'll have to stand in line) to hear The Timejumpers, who are an authentic Texas Swing band comprised of the best session musicians in Nashville. The Station Inn is a small, knotty-pine-walled joint that sells only beer, wine, pizza, and popcorn. From the outside it looks like a gas station.

On most Mondays, the Timejumpers' lead singer/guitarist is Vince Gill.

Country Music Hall of Fame, RCA Studio B, Lower Broadway, Bluebird Cafe, Opryland Hotel, and the Grand Old Opry are all fabulous.

At the Bluebird Cafe, if you can happen to catch Don Schlitz, Thom Schuyler, Fred Knoblock, and Jelly Roll Johnson, that's another really special night that happens about once a month, usually on a Friday.

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 7:35 pm

I live in Nashville and I would suggest lower Broadway if you want to check out the honky tonk bars. I'll also throw out the country music hall of fame, bluebird cafe, Ryman, grand ole opry, and music row. The newly reopened (since the floods) Opryland Hotel is nice when the Christmas lights are up, but I wouldn't stay or eat there because it is waaaaay overpriced. If you want to try something a little offbeat, you should check out the white trash bus tours. lol

Most of these suggestions assume you like country music. :-)

As far as places to stay are concerned, I would stay as close to Broadway/downtown as possible and avoid the Opryland Hotel area since most of the "tourist" attractions are closer to downtown. The Opryland Hotel area isn't that close to downtown.

hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:03 pm

Lane Motor is the best car museum that I've ever been to:

http://lanemotormuseum.org/

hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:05 pm

I also like Parthenon (google Parthenon Nashville), but Athena truly sucks.

OP, you need to post what you like. Either you like art (e.g. Frist could be a good choice), country music, sport (Titans, etc.), outdoor, etc. you would get different ideas.

Topic Author
conundrum

Post by conundrum » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:04 pm

Thanks everyone for all the recommendations. We are looking forward to a great time.

Drum :lol:

Charles Mahaffey

Post by Charles Mahaffey » Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:16 pm

If you like BBQ try Jacks BBQ, if it is still around. They used to have a location downtown and one off Trinity Lane just north of downtown. Downtown Franklin, south of Nashville used to be nice if you are into antiques and stuff like that.

pryan

Nashville

Post by pryan » Sun Sep 04, 2011 3:00 pm

Legends saloon downtown on Broadway. Bands play for tips until there are no tippers left.

fishndoc

Post by fishndoc » Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:07 pm

I also rec to avoid Opryland hotel. And, sadly the opry itself has become pretty contrived, and even "hokey".

If you are a fan of real country music, try an evening or two at the Bluebird.
" Successful investing involves doing just a few things right, and avoiding serious mistakes." - J. Bogle

TN_INVEST

Post by TN_INVEST » Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:06 pm

conundrum wrote:Thanks everyone for all the recommendations. We are looking forward to a great time.

lots to do up here. im sure you will have a nice trip

segfault

Post by segfault » Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:14 am

hsv_climber wrote:Lane Motor is the best car museum that I've ever been to:

http://lanemotormuseum.org/
I second the recommendation, it's really cool. I've never seen so many microcars in one place!

donttreadonme

Post by donttreadonme » Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:44 pm

My biggest bar recommendation is The Stage on Broadway.

Topic Author
conundrum

Post by conundrum » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:25 pm

Lots of great suggestions. Thank you everyone for so many great ideas.

tnhooper45

Post by tnhooper45 » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:58 pm

Hope you like country music! Nashville is a great city. Without a doubt, check out Broadway. Karaoke bar, bars with mechanical bulls, 'Legends' bar (I have heard that from time to time some of the music stars will drop in and hang out and play a couple of songs), and there is a nice piano bar upstairs...I want to say it's called 'Big Bang'. Anyways, hope you have a good time, welcome to TN!

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:40 pm

Nashville is a great town. I've stayed at Opryland several times and did not enjoy it. It's great to walk through and visit but the food and service were not good. I spent a month there one week. To be fair, that was over 10 years ago and things may have changed.

My favorite memory of Nashville is eating at Jimmy Kelly's Steakhouse. I'm still dreaming about those corn cakes. If you enjoy country music there's a lot of history in Nashville. Enjoy.
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.

scouter

Post by scouter » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:37 pm

It's unfortunate that for most tourists, Nashville music means only country. There's also a thriving jazz and rock scene, as well as world music, gospel, and contemporary Christian music.

The Nashville Symphony won three Grammy Awards last year alone. Their home (the Schermerhorn), is one of the finest concert halls in the world. Besides their classical and pops concerts, the Symphony has a great jazz series, with artists like Larry Carlton, Branford Marsalis...

There are also many pop and rock stars that make their home in the area, though they don't necessarily perform in Nashville more often than in other cities. The exceptions to this are Nashville charity events, which can bring together combinations of music legends you wouldn't find anywhere else, except at the Grammys.

So if you're not a fan of country music, don't despair. Just do a little research on what's going on. Local paper the Nashville Scene has an online calendar at:

http://www.nashvillescene.com/nashville ... rHome/Page

Hawkeye5

Post by Hawkeye5 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:49 am

I work on the Northside of downtown Nashville and have lived here for 20 years.

I would avoid staying at the Opryland Hotel. You can visit. Personally I would stay at the Hermitage Hotel, downtown. Most everything downtown would then be within walking distance.

While Nashville is known for country music, there is a wide selection of music types performed nightly.

Lots of good food also. Places like the already mentioned Jimmy Kelly's have been around for decades. Germantown has The Mad Platter, an offbeat spot with excellent food. Rotier's has one of the best burgers in town, and it is near the Parthenon. Sperry's is a Nashville institution for an evening repast, The Gerst Haus for German food, and the Pancake Pantry or Loveless Cafe for breakfast. There are several outstanding hot chicken places and too much BBQ to mention.

TN_INVEST

Post by TN_INVEST » Wed Sep 07, 2011 7:55 am

Hawkeye5 wrote:
While Nashville is known for country music, there is a wide selection of music types performed nightly.
I would agree.

A tertiary benefit to Nashville being known as Music City is that there are lots of talented folks trying to break in to the music business. I remember listening to a lounge singer at a hotel that was outstanding. She was very "talented" and was quite good on the mic. :D

Go ahead and take a stroll down 2nd Avenue. Opryland Hotel is also worth paying a visit, too.

rocket

BB King's night club

Post by rocket » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:06 am

See Broadway honky tonks. BB King's night club near Broadway has great bands.

Topic Author
conundrum

Post by conundrum » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:57 am

Thanks for all the suggestions. We will be staying at the Hermitage Hotel downtown. Our 17 year old daughter will also be traveling with us. She is a country music fan.

Thanks again.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:14 pm

conundrum wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions. We will be staying at the Hermitage Hotel downtown. Our 17 year old daughter will also be traveling with us. She is a country music fan.

Thanks again.
Excellent choice! A truly beautiful hotel. Be sure to check out the men's restroom downstairs (I am not kidding... it has literally won awards). The bar there is great too, although a bit overpriced.

I'll second the recommendation of the Opryland Hotel. It's touristy, but actually kinda cool. Worth a stroll through. If you're feeling frugal, park across the street somewhere and walk over to avoid the parking fees. The Opry itself is hit-or-miss, depending on how much into country music you are, and who's on the bill at the time.

I'll also second the Station Inn, particularly the aforementioned Time Jumpers on Monday night, but also the hilarious Doyle and Debbie Show on most Tuesday nights. Get your tickets for D&D at least a week ahead of time--they sell out just about every show.

I'll admit to never having been actually inside the Parthenon. Odd, because I'm looking out my office window at it as I type this. :-) Anyway, if it's museums you want, the Frist is a good choice. Cheekwood can be be good too if the weather cooperates. The Tennessee State Museum is right next to your hotel.

If you're into classical music, I'll second the recommendation of seeing the Nashville Symphony at the marvelous Schermerhorn Center. They have tours too.

For jazz, it's tough to go wrong with F. Scott's. Sometimes the Nashville Jazz Workshop offers intimate BYOB jazz concerts in their "jazz cave" on the weekends.

Rock music? Well, your daughter might enjoy a visit to Third Man Records over in East Nashville.

And if you like German polka music, well, there's the Gerst Haus. (Yes, Nashville really has the musical bases covered!)

If you want any other recommendations (bars, restaurants, etc.), just PM me or post in this thread! :-)

JJ
Stay on target...

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:15 pm

Some pretty good recs in this thread (Loveless, Mad Platters, etc...) but I'd still go and see the Opry - it's always been hokey. That's it's thing. Local bands/bars are good. The restaurants immediately downtown aren't super, but Merchant's Restaurant has been around a while and is recently under new ownership. It's not the best place in town, but if you are in a pinch and want a fairly nice place to eat downtown (outside of the Capital Grill in the Hermitage Hotel), that's just down the street.

If you can travel, here are a few other more "local" places:

Margot's Cafe (East Nashville) - kind of upscale, but you can get away with relatively casual clothes. Fresh and fabulous food and menu changes daily according to what is available locally.

Monell's (Germantown Area) - family style seating and good country cooking.

Allium (East Nashville) - only a few years old, but this is a great place to eat. A little bit of a chique industrial feel, but darn good food and drinks.

The Patterson House (west of downtown near Music Row) - an eclectic, speakeasy-type bar that sports a prohibition-era feel and serves simply fantastic drinks and decent tapas-type food. No T-shirts or shorts, no TV's, no phone use and no talking to women if you haven't been properly introduced first. If you like traditional mixed drinks, don't leave town without hitting this place.

Prince's Hot Chicken (off of Donelson Pike out by airport) I'm not wild about hot chicken, but everyone loves this place.

Arnold's (just south of downtown) - one of the last traditional meat and three cafeteria-style places in town.

Farmer's Market (North of Downtown) - some pretty good lunch places with an open-market feel.

Brown's Diner (out past Hillsboro Village area) - Browns is the locals' "Rotiers" with similar type food but it's in a more remote area. Actually, locals go to Rotiers as well.

Germantown Cafe (Germantown) - I think this is owned by the same people who run Mad Platter's. Good food.

Have fun - it's a great town.

JT

P.S. I almost forgot the Ryman Auditorium - the original Opry. Take a tour or see a show if you can.

Topic Author
conundrum

Post by conundrum » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:01 pm

Thanks for all the ideas. We are getting excited for our trip.

tadamsmar

Post by tadamsmar » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:14 pm

hsv_climber wrote:I also like Parthenon (google Parthenon Nashville), but Athena truly sucks.

OP, you need to post what you like. Either you like art (e.g. Frist could be a good choice), country music, sport (Titans, etc.), outdoor, etc. you would get different ideas.
I liked Athena, too. It's a full size replica of the one in the real Parthenon, based on records and existing copies of the original statue.

The Nashville Parthenon is nice to tour and cheap. There is a small contemporary art museum in there, too.

Of course, you have to be into this kind of thing. We were in Nashville to visit my daughter and we had an planned trip to Athens, Greece, so we were interested.

Perhaps Athena was too glitzy for you, cover in real gold. :)

Ted Valentine

Post by Ted Valentine » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:43 pm

Suggest you check out Las Paletas on 12th S. for popsicles.
Although our intellect always longs for clarity and certainty, our nature often finds uncertainty fascinating.

TnGuy

Post by TnGuy » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:20 pm

For breakfast, you can try the Pancake Pantry. It's a little expensive - and the lines to get in can be long - but it's worth it.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx

bluemarlin08

Post by bluemarlin08 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:47 pm

Lived here all my life and you have a great bunch of suggestions. Go online to the previously mentioned Nashville Scene for full details of what is happening. I would opt to see a show at The Ryman versus going to The Opry, but do both. So much to do, so little time. The Hermitage is the best, in my opinion. Sperry's Restaurant in Belle Meade is a local favorite and never had a bad meal there. The Hermitage homeplace of Andy Jackson is a great way to spend an afternoon.

P&C actuary

Re: Ideas for Nashville trip?

Post by P&C actuary » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:51 pm

Planning a trip to Nashville for a week in February. Have looked at threads here for ideas. Realize that it is not the best time of year to go, but timing works for my wife and I.

Will we be able to see most of the tourist sites, music scene, etc. ? What closes or has more limited hours in winter?

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:26 pm

P&C actuary wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:51 pm
Will we be able to see most of the tourist sites, music scene, etc. ?
Yup.

It's the South, after all. I don't think there's much that shuts down seasonally around here (other than water parks). You should be all set.

Hope you enjoy our fair city! :sharebeer
Stay on target...

Pete12

Post by Pete12 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:58 pm

Visited Nashville on a business trip last spring. Stayed at Gaylord Opryland which is a destination in and of itself, see the comments above. Spent a night bar hopping on lower Broadway, heard some great music and had a fun time. Also be sure to try the local hot chicken! All in all such a friendly down to earth town, would not hesitate to return!

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:41 pm

We took our first trip to Nashville in summer, 2017, and really enjoyed it.

We also thought the Parthenon was special.
But don't go late in the afternoon... this may have been a "summer" (crowd) problem, but we almost got shut out, as they stopped the line well before closing time. We were among the last allowed in.

We also went to the Grand Ole Opry, the big one, outside town, not the original hall downtown. I think the concerts change between the two venues, but don't remember what the schedule was like.

In any event, at least for the big hall, we took the "behinds the scenes" tour, and upgraded to the [extra special one; not sure what it's called].
Given that this was probably a one-time visit, it was really worth it. Not only did we get to see quite a few of the dressing rooms, which are quite customized, but we got to stand ON the back of the stage during the first set. We were almost next to the last few musicians. We did NOT expect that! :happy
Then the small group were quickly escorted to their regular seats during a quick break (so, nothing "missed"), and the evening continued.

We are not really country music fans... or we weren't...!
But we had a fabulous time, and the music was really great.
No surprise, I guess. Live music can be really special.

If we are in Nashville again, we'll probably go again to enjoy the music!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Chicken lady

Post by Chicken lady » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:23 pm

There's a free newspaper type publication called the Nashville Scene that comes out 1 x weekly that details the events of the coming week. It's on the web as well. Entertainment (of all types) abound whether music, drama, dance, are options as is food and everything else you'd expect from a city. There are many clubs and restaurants in Nashville proper and the sort of nearby East Nashville worth visiting.

Whatever the music is that you prefer, it is being played in Nashville. The Time Jumpers (which were mentioned several times before) are now playing at 3rd and Lindsley most Monday evenings. Get there early, buy your tickets on the web. If you stay downtown or in the nearby Vanderbilt area there are numerous golf carts that shuttle people around for free (tips only). Or you can use Uber/Lyft. If you go to the honky-tonks on Broadway just be sure to leave the band a tip, this is how these musicians make a living - no cover charge. Robert's Western Wear is our personal favorite - it's more country, a bit older audience than some of the other bars, the PM house band - Don Kelley band is good and often has excellent and famous musicians play for a night or two when they're not out on the road.

Because the weather has become so unpredictable one can never know if it will be cold or unseasonably warm these days. It's a tad windy much of the time so be aware. The Frist Museum is nice if you're an art lover as is the brand new TN State Museum which is right next door to the Farmer's Market (also convenient to downtown with a little walk). Google walking tours - they are around the downtown area.

Excellent and interesting food of all types abound from 'hot' chicken - a Nashville thing of spicy chicken (fried), to BBQ - Jacks is good but Peg leg porker in the Gulch is divine, to Etch across the street from the symphony hall and many others.

Google Nashville in the bogleheads search box. This is a topic that comes up periodically. Enjoy!

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:23 pm

Chicken lady wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:23 pm
The Time Jumpers (which were mentioned several times before) are now playing at 3rd and Lindsley most Monday evenings.
I scrolled up an looked at the post I made here over seven years ago(!), and it's interesting what has changed since:
  • The Time Jumpers are still a must-see show, but as you mention, they've outgrown their old post at the Station Inn (probably due to a certain famous person joining the band).
  • I have at least finally visited it the Parthenon. It's pretty cool! The State Museum has moved to a brand-new building.
  • Speaking of which, the city now offers a "Total Access" pass that gets you into your choice of four attractions around town for one low price. Plus it includes free Parthenon admission! This is a Boglehead-worthy bargain for sure.
  • For jazz, F. Scott's is now closed (and I really miss it). But a place called Rudy's has since opened, and it's supposed to be pretty good. The Jazz Workshop remains an excellent hidden gem.
  • The Gerst Haus has also closed, but we now have an enormous German beer hall over at Opry Mills that more than makes up for the loss. Live music most nights and weekend afternoons.
Stay on target...

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:07 pm

JupiterJones wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:23 pm
Chicken lady wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:23 pm
The Time Jumpers (which were mentioned several times before) are now playing at 3rd and Lindsley most Monday evenings.
I scrolled up an looked at the post I made here over seven years ago(!), and it's interesting what has changed since:
  • The Time Jumpers are still a must-see show, but as you mention, they've outgrown their old post at the Station Inn (probably due to a certain famous person joining the band).
  • I have at least finally visited it the Parthenon. It's pretty cool! The State Museum has moved to a brand-new building.
  • Speaking of which, the city now offers a "Total Access" pass that gets you into your choice of four attractions around town for one low price. Plus it includes free Parthenon admission! This is a Boglehead-worthy bargain for sure.
  • For jazz, F. Scott's is now closed (and I really miss it). But a place called Rudy's has since opened, and it's supposed to be pretty good. The Jazz Workshop remains an excellent hidden gem.
  • The Gerst Haus has also closed, but we now have an enormous German beer hall over at Opry Mills that more than makes up for the loss. Live music most nights and weekend afternoons.
Say it ain't so! That was one of my favorite Nashville restuarants in the early '80s in their old location before it was bulldozed for a stadium parking lot. I only went to the new location a couple of times. It just didn't have the same ambiance, and the oyster rolls (and even the ham rolls) really took a nose dive in quality. I do look forward to checking out the Bier Haus next time I'm there though.

I still can highly recommend the Loveless Cafe--assuming it hasn't also closed since my most recent visit.

Java11

Post by Java11 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:28 pm

I just went to Nashville for New Years eve and had a blast. If your daughter likes country music she'll probably want to check out some of the recently opened restaurants by Luke Bryan, Florida Georgia Line, Jason Aldean etc. We checked them all out and were presently surprised. They were all well run, the food was good and great live bands were playing on almost every floor. Two of the best places we ate at were Merchants and Puckett's. Merchants had awesome jambalaya. Puckett's has amazing BBB. Try the dirty kettle chips at FGL House. You won't regret it.

P&C actuary

Post by P&C actuary » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:44 pm

Thank you for the responses. My wife and I are looking forward to the trip at the end of February.

LeVolant

Post by LeVolant » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:43 am

I have many great memories of Nashville and the good people of Tennessee. I spent a lot of my youth there in the 80s but I guess it has changed a lot since.
I would like to recommend a great honky-tonk bar named the Twin Kegs https://rosiestwinkegs.com - i went back to visit about 10 years ago and it was still the same as ever - friendly people and great burgers.
Hope you'll enjoy your trip to Music City.