What is/ was your career and would you recommend it now?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Cmnilz87

Re: What is/ was your career and would you recommend it now?

Post by Cmnilz87 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:42 am

Construction management. End of story. You have flexibility, high starting salary, good benefits. You can start as a field engineer traveling making 110k+ with per diem or take a manager route in one place. Or you can be a superintendent, estimator, scheduler, purchasing agent. All these jobs can be linear up the ladder or you can jump between them to find your niche. Trades are hurting for workers and companies also need good managers. Sky’s the limit.

From experience I went back to school at 29, graduate at 31 with 50k in student loans, will pay them off in 1 year.

gliderpilot567

Post by gliderpilot567 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:36 am

Fighter pilot. Hard to get into, and very hard work, but if you are qualified, highly recommended despite the low starting pay. The quality of people you will work with is fantastic and the adventures you will experience are unreal, beyond belief. You will look back at it in awe for the rest of your life. Do it while it exists, because everything will be unmanned soon.... though right now there is a severe fighter pilot shortage in the US and expected to continue for 10-20 years. If it is something you want to shoot for, you need to start in high school, too late for many of us but you can certainly inspire your kids or grandkids. Do it for 10 years then punch - don't fall for the carrot of the retirement after 10 additional years, because most of the flying is done in the first 10, and that second half is crappy staff jobs, and after the first 10 years and 2500 flying hours you're well positioned to move right into the major airlines and make boocoo cash.

PrimalAtom

Post by PrimalAtom » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:44 pm

First post here, I've been lurking for a while. It's the first time I've posted on a forum in a few years, as most seemed to be toxic or time wasters. This place seems like a good one.

I graduated HS in 2007, joined the US Army as an Infantryman. Did 4 years in the 101st Airborne, played in Afghanistan. Some of the best and worst times of my life, glad to be done, but I would do it again in a heartbeat. I regret not being smart with my money. I wasn't exactly stupid, no sports cars or anything like that, but I didn't save anything. I left with no debt, but I think about what I could have done with that 20k bonus I got in February 2008, plus regular contributions, as housing and food was already paid for. I was totally oblivious to what was going on with the market and economy at the time.

In the fall of 2013 I went to community college without really knowing what I wanted to do. Finished an associates degree in wind energy technology while working a full time warehousing job. I Interned in a technician role between 1st and 2nd years of college, and I got on full time after graduation with the same company (NEE) as a technician. I primarily repair and maintain utility scale wind turbines, but I have recently started working on utility scale solar photo-voltaic projects as well. It's hard work, the average tech lasts something like 3 years. But the industry has been growing very fast, and the technology is progressing even faster. Opportunities for advancement are great, except the locations are usually pretty rural. Management is a very real possibility in the next year or two, and I am being pushed that way. Its been good to me, after 3 years I am capable of maxing out a Roth IRA and 401K, adding about 10k/yr to a taxable account, and I am on track to pay of my 30yr mortgage in about 10-12 years. Not bad for community college...

Once again, it is very hard work, and I work a massive amount of overtime. I would recommend it to anyone young who is willing to do hard work for a while. I am going back to school for an Advanced Aerospace Manufacturing BS too, and plan on getting a Masters after that, mostly because I can't sit still...

BeanCity

Post by BeanCity » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:16 am

Thanks for posting this, and welcome. Great story.

Dandy

Post by Dandy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:20 am

Right out of college I didn't know what job to apply for. A friend said XYZ is hiring for internal auditors. I applied and was hired. The plus of this job was getting to know all aspects of the company, their management and how all the pieces fit together. Most of the other departments and their management just knew their piece of the company. Of course most times you aren't very popular since you are reporting control issues to the area management. There are ways of mitigating that aspect if you focus on major issues and don't try to make a big deal of a minor one. It also sharpened my writing skills.

I liked the flexibility of learning new things rather than spending a career in one aspect of the company. That led to a variety of assignments outside of internal auditing: managing bill payment, payroll, mutual fund training, call center, written correspondence, account set up, warehouse, etc. over the next 20 years. Lots of challenges never bored. The variety of management assignments also allowed me to change jobs more easily since I had a variety of management experiences. Of course the risk was I wasn't considered a master of any one skill. And I had numerous bosses all with different management styles, a few were really hard to work with.

Today the world seems totally different. Unless you are an ace at tech I'm not sure what to recommend except perhaps the trades. don't see tech or AI replacing electricians, plumbers, etc.any time soon. Internal auditing, if it still exists, might still be a good starting point.

Dolphin1

Post by Dolphin1 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:45 am

Software Engineer/Programmer (female)
Great career for people who are flexible and willing to do what the boss says. 20+ year career, laid off twice when companies went under but only about 3 weeks total unemployment during career. Easy to find employment if living in Silicon Valley and willing to be flexible.
Not such a great career for people who are idealistic and/or not willing to do what the boss says when they feel it's "not the right way to go."
Females must be willing to put up with some sexism and inappropriate behavior without raising a fuss, unfortunately. Not saying I approve of this, just stating the facts as I saw them.
Good income and benefits.
Hours can be kept reasonable if you pick the right company and position and have a spine when asked to work more than reasonable hours.
Best to plan to retire before you "look too old."

dsjohns

Post by dsjohns » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:21 pm

Military officer for 9 years.
Now IT Management at a megacorp. Still part time military officer (National Guard).
And my favorite job, husband and father of 3.

I haven't planned much of where I've ended up, but it has all been good.

I recommend the military, either active or reserve, officer or enlisted to almost anyone. I think being part of a big team and counting on others is good life experience.

As for megacorp job, it pays the bills. Time will tell if these types of organizations continue to transform well in the future.

dacalo

Post by dacalo » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:53 pm

Accounting

I started working in banking actually and studied during nights to earn enough accounting credits for the CPA license. Once I passed the exam, I was networked with a local accounting firm that specialized in banks. After about 4 years there, I went on to a Big 4 accounting firm in the silicon valley auditing technology and biotech companies which was a huge difference from auditing banks but managed to learn quickly. Spent about 4 years there and then moved on to mega corp as middle management doing operational accounting. After a couple of years there, now I am at a start-up for technical accounting role.

Would I recommend it? Yes. Contrary to what people think, auditing is not actually about the numbers. It's about being a good communicator, managing time well, prioritizing tasks, and being good with people. You learn a lot in a short amount of time. A lot of long hours though so prepare for that.

Non-public accounting jobs tend to pay more with less hours but it can get boring too. I am really enjoying technical accounting role though, much more than operational since I don't have to worry about month-end closing etc which can be quite perfunctory.

MotoTrojan

Post by MotoTrojan » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:11 pm

IlliniDave wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:24 am
Engineer. If I had it all to do over again I might choose differently, but I wouldn't globally recommend against it.
Curious why?