New job, sales at Subaru

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
TxAg

Re: New job, sales at Subaru

Post by TxAg » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:56 pm

Sales:
Be knowledgable
Be honest
Follow up (tactfully)

It's not too hard

denovo

Post by denovo » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:59 am

emanuel_v19 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:55 pm
3504PIR wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:44 am
Very interesting and sounds like a good dealership. How does the sales position and training evolve into being an entrepreneur? Good luck and I’m curious to hear your thoughts as it progresses.

Based on what I've been told, you get the Entrepreneurship experience in the sense that you have full control of your plan, decisions, and actions you take to make a sale. I suppose it's not a sheet with a plan that the company gives you and you follow in order to make the sales/quota. That's what I got from the interviews and orientation. I'll know as time goes by.
I think you are incorrect. All dealers I know have a sales floor manager that has the authority on pricing. The salesman never has full control over decisions, let alone substantial control.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln

Mingus

Post by Mingus » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:54 am

jbmitt wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:56 pm
I've often heard of salespeople complain because Subaru buyers are often rather savvy and may chose to be cash buyers and are knowledgable on pricing, interest rates, money factors on leases.
Almost every make of car I've looked at, the salesman has told me some variation of this line.

ccieemeritus

Post by ccieemeritus » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:44 am

Good luck with the new job.

I think “haggling” sales experience is useful for many careers. I worked as an IT lead and manager. I was strong in most areas but “weak” negotiating with vendors. A year of car sales experience would have been useful. Remember that in future resumes and interviews.

mrmass

Post by mrmass » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:50 am

ccieemeritus wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:44 am
Good luck with the new job.

I think “haggling” sales experience is useful for many careers. I worked as an IT lead and manager. I was strong in most areas but “weak” negotiating with vendors. A year of car sales experience would have been useful. Remember that in future resumes and interviews.
A good way to deal with vendors is to buy near the end of the quarter...they drop their prices like Crazy Eddie!

MDfive21

Post by MDfive21 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:18 pm

books:
the rainmaker's toolkit
7 habits of highly effective people
influence by robert cialdini

Topic Author
emanuel_v19

Post by emanuel_v19 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:16 pm

I will take a shot and read those books. Thank you!

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:00 pm

buccimane wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:24 pm
Don't drive potential customers crazy with follow up call after follow up call.

I ended up buying my car from a sales woman who made little attempt to 'sell' me on a car. Rather just showed me around and answered questions if I had any. The rest of the time was spent just conversing over small-talk. Some people, myself included, don't like being pitched to. Just answer the few questions I have and sit back and relax 8-)
My parents bought several cars from the same sales woman. They felt comfortable with her and she did well by them.

For Subatu- I would really show off all the safery features. Very appealing to many.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:26 pm

A lot of good advice given already:
1) Know your product
2) Know your customer's needs/wants
3) Know your competition
4) Know current factory/dealer incentives
5) Participate in online Subaru forums to understand the mindset of enthusiasts and likely get some leads.

A few additional make-the-difference type things:
1) If an existing customer comes in while you're busy with someone else, acknowledge them and let them know you'll be with them shortly or direct them to someone else who can help right away
2) Customer appreciation/attentiveness can go a long way toward sales & repeat sales. I had a salesperson personally deliver a car to my house because I couldn't make it to the dealership while they were open. He did it on his day off. And the dealership was 30 miles from my house and my house was 20 miles from his house. I referred several people to him (not just for that, but he was great overall).
3) Be responsive. Text, email & call back quickly.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:31 pm

multiham wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:30 pm
Please do not assume that if a couple comes in to buy a car, that you should immediately gravitate to talking to the man. This has happened to my wife and I multiple times when buying HER car. It has happened even after I tell the sales person that the car is for my wife.
Different car make (Porsche), but same mindset. We left the showroom after dealing with a misogynist salesman who persisted in selling to me rather than my wife, after being told repeatedly that the car was for her. Final straw, telling her she didn't "need" a turbo, in a condescending way. We went across the street and purchased a Supercharged Range Rover.

OP, you are younger than the idiot salesman I refer to, and younger people are usually more mindful, but make sure that you sell to the buyer (not the one you feel more comfortable with).

Good luck.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

PatrickA5

Post by PatrickA5 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:03 pm

My wife was buying a car once. I tagged along because they had free cookies. She did all of the upfront talking and asking questions. Then the idiot turned to me and acted like I was the only one there. The guy (and dealership) forever lost a potential customer. They could have offered it 50% off and she wouldn't have bought it. She still brings it up 20 years later.

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:14 pm

Women are very sensitive to this and rightly so.
Last trip to the dealer with my wife, right off the salesman asked whose car were we buying today and my wife said mine!
The salesman who gave her all the attention got the sale.
Other salesman weren't so careful and we went back to the guy who listened to her.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:15 pm

My advice: Treat every customer with respect, and assume everyone's a serious buyer. A few years ago I was all set to order a BMW 3 Series, decided on the exact configuration and was about to order through European Delivery. Salesman was very reluctant to have anything to do with me, asking, "Are you a serious buyer? Time is money for us, we don't have time for people who just want to look." I was almost in shock, especially since this was mid-afternoon on a weekday - I think there was one other customer in the showroom at the time and a lot more idle salesmen. I walked out, ended up buying an Audi.

A few months ago I had a similar experience at a Honda dealer when I was looking at the Insight hybrid. This one asked whether I'd be buying from them. "Yes, if you give me the best price." I hadn't even gotten a price from any dealer at that point, but without evening making an attempt on price, he just said, "Well, we probably can't give you the best price, rent here is pretty expensive." (Rents are high-ish, but this was not Beverly Hills.) I walked out and ended up leasing a Chevy Volt.

Perhaps I just don't give off the air of a "serious" car buyer, but regardless, don't insult your customers and lose business this way.

Topic Author
emanuel_v19

Post by emanuel_v19 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:07 pm

Wow! Sorry to hear all those bad stories. Thank you so much for all the suggestions.

One good habit I have made so far is focusing who is the buyer. Whether it's the Wife, Husband, Child, or even your dog. You know, we love doggies at Subaru :happy

srt7

Post by srt7 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:13 pm

mouses wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:00 pm
Jags4186 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:53 pm
I recommend The Challenger Sale.

Most important thing I’d recommend is making sure you know all of the features and trim levels of the cars you sell. There is nothing worse than dealing with a salesman who doesn’t know his own product.
Having just been shopping for a car, I second this.

Also I was very annoyed at being lied to. I had read up on the web before going to dealerships, and several times salesmen flat out lied always to discourage me from buying a hybrid or EV. Like telling me a hybrid got only 2mpg more than the gas version, or the base price of a hybrid was $10,000 more than I knew it was. I asked my brother why this was and he said dealerships make most of their money on repairs and energy efficient cars need fewer repairs. Just because I'm female and have white hair doesn't mean I'm an idiot.
This^ Every time a sales person lies to me that ends my interest in giving them my money. A Carmax salesman once told me that all Accords are six cylinders. I told him that is simply not true and walked out.
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc

srt7

Post by srt7 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:18 pm

Nissanzx1 wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:22 pm
Congrats on your new job. I did this job in college (used dealer) and it was invaluable. If you can sell cars, you can sell anything. Find a mentor that does this that has a long, proven track record and watch him/her.

Listen more than you speak. Learn about personality types, learn how to read people's body language. Learn about how to sell each type of customer. Learn about the service drive. That's where the big money is made in this business.
Excellent advice!
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:34 pm

Some thoughts:

(I've never sold cars, so take this with a grain of salt).

1) A few posters in here are saying something like: Use this approach, use *that* approach, it's what I prefer. But different customers have different preferences. So I would focus on learning to read people and preferences, and, rather than having one or two specific approaches, try to anticipate (based on initial interactions) what a given customer will prefer. There will be differences.

2) What's good for you as a salesman may be different from what's good for the dealership, versus what's good for the customer. A salesman wants a $30K car for $20K, with a salesman waiting hand and foot on him the whole time. A dealer wants to sell a $30K car for $35K, and pay the salesman as little commission as they can get away with. A salesman wants to quickly reject tire kickers, close actual deals quickly, and at a fat commission. Be ethical, but be wise about the varied interests of the parties.

3) Learn your products, and to some extent, your competitor's (as has been noted).

4) A quick anecdote. About 3 years ago, I bought a Honda Civic primarily for my kids use, for about $19,000. This involved a fair amount of research on my end, back and forth with various dealers, and one deal that I thought was made that broke down, before I ended up at a different dealership, where the deal closed relatively quickly. That Civic was totalled, and so about a year later, I was shopping for another car, and ultimately ended up buying another Civic - largely the same thing, one model year newer, from the same dealership, same salesman. The deal was at ~$19,500. Seemed reasonable to me - $500, ~2.5% more a year later - inflation or a touch more. About the time we were closing the deal (and, IIRC, after the terms were in place, and those terms did not change), the salesman made some kind of grumbling comment to me about, something about how much I was beating him up/haggling, maybe even called me a cheapskate - I don't recall the specifics. This was beyond deal posturing (the deal was basically in place) - was just a salesman popping off, unnecessarily. I went through with the deal, but if a need arises for another vehicle, it's less likely that this salesman will be high on my list. He gained nothing by venting whatever frustration he had to me, his customer.

Topic Author
emanuel_v19

Post by emanuel_v19 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:34 am

Thank you all!

It's been going great so far.

OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:29 am

I'll add another, although a little late. When a potential customer has been looking at information on vehicles on-line and phones you, make sure you visit with them and try to thoroughly answer questions. Years ago, before having detailed information about a vehicle on-line, I had called a dealership with questions and wanted them to e-mail me info. The salesman simply didn't want to do that. Sale lost--I think they lost a couple of sales from us because they simply wouldn't send the info. We bought the same model vehicles, but drove a few hours to another dealer.

Also, agree with knowing your inventory and specifics about the vehicle. We are older and when we were looking for the latest vehicle we purchased, there was a specific option that my husband wanted. The salesman I talked with on the phone had one vehicle in inventory with the option that we wanted. He didn't have to get back to me with the information; he knew it. We ended up purchasing that vehicle.

Also, if you are a younger salesperson, please put down that phone. I simply don't want to walk into a car dealership and have a salesperson staring at their I-phone or whatever phone. I cannot tell you what a bad first impression this makes.

Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:51 am

I'll add another anecdote too, but one from another industry entirely---ad sales. This may or may not be relevant . . .

The best ad salesman I ever knew was a guy named Len who sold ads for a magazine where I was the editor. Every single morning, without fail, Len came into the office with a list of ten contacts in the business---customers who had bought ads in the past. One by one, he would call them. He would not try to sell them on an ad, but he would ask about their kids or their business---he knew every single one of them because he took the time to do so. After making his ten calls, he would go out to a late breakfast. He was spectacularly successful. His rolodex was jammed with information, his contacts (whom he converted into friends) called him to buy ads before anyone else. His concern with each of his customers was genuine, however, it was not put on. Everybody loved Len-----because, no exaggeration here, he loved them.

To be successful in sales, you have to really like people. It can't be put on. It occurs to me that once you have sold a Subaru, you have a possible repeat customer. Do you know that customer's birthday? What personal information did you find out while selling her/him the car? Did you take good notes on that? Did you make a genuine connection? Do you genuinely care about that customer and their needs?

As anyone in marketing will tell you, successful businesses are built on repeat-customers (just hope that not all your customers are Bogleheads, who will keep their Subaru until it's completely used up! :P :P :P :P :P

Good luck to you!
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:47 pm

Be honest and respond to the customer. Respond quickly and ask what they want and be like Pat and Vanna on Wheel of Fortune. In other words be on the side of the customer and present whatever offer they make to the manager since you will not make the final decision anyway.

Tim

Topic Author
emanuel_v19

Post by emanuel_v19 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:36 am

Great advice all! Thank you again, and very much appreciated.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:09 am

Flymore wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:14 pm
Women are very sensitive to this and rightly so.
Last trip to the dealer with my wife, right off the salesman asked whose car were we buying today and my wife said mine!
The salesman who gave her all the attention got the sale.
Other salesman weren't so careful and we went back to the guy who listened to her.

By the way, it works both ways.

We were looking for a vehicle as the engine blew up in my old car. We were looking at a used Mazda 626 which my wife seemed to like. As for me, it was just another car as to me, cars are like toasters. There are a million out there and many will meet my needs. The salesman hovered over my wife and she was ready to sign. The problem was I was the SOLE decision maker.

I always bring someone else with me to keep the salesman busy and distracted.

=============================

To the OP:

I am a retired fleet manager. Over the years, I have purchased hundreds of vehicles from executive vehicles to fleet trucks for service operations to work trucks that we upfitted and the like.

Here is what I want to see is a salesperson and a dealership:

1) Nothing is more of a turnoff is seeing three salespeople in front of a dealership smoking and commiserating about how slow business is that day. The real winners are the ones who have a list of prospects that they are calling and following up with.

2) Know your product and that of the competitor. Most salesmen rely on the "cheat sheets" that the manufacturers provide them and have never gone out and rented their competitor's vehicles to really understand the differences.

3) If you say that you are going to do something, you need to deliver. I purchased 3 - $50k executive vehicles from a dealership. Once the vehicles made it to the dealership, I asked them to have them ready in ten days so my executives could pick them up. Not one of the vehicles had even been prepped. That led to a very long discussion with the principal of the dealership.

By the way, most people never make it as a salesperson, The income is far too variable and requires a significant time commitment. Usually, thej burnout is in the first 12-18 months.