30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
johan851
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:59 pm

30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by johan851 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:08 pm

We're doing a major remodel of our kitchen, and I've come to a question I'm a bit stuck on. We initially planned to use our current 30" induction range - I've really liked it and it's only a couple of years old. However, we'll have way more counter space after the remodel, and there's plenty of space for a 36" model.

If we had gas available, 36" would be an easy choice. There are lots of great looking 36" gas ranges. But we don't have a gas line on the street, so that's out.

There are very few 36" induction ranges available, and the only ones I've found are expensive ($5,000+) and from boutique brands. I'm worried that they'll suck, have high repair cost, etc., and the extra 6" doesn't seem worth it for the price.

Has anyone used both 30" and 36" ranges? Is a 36" model worth it given that we're going to all the trouble to remodel anyway?

A third option that I stumbled on tonight is combining a 36" induction cooktop with a 30" wall oven. That seems promising as well, but I've only just started looking at it.

HereToLearn
Posts: 246
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by HereToLearn » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:18 pm

I have a 36" cooktop and 30" double wall ovens. They were both installed more than twenty years ago and both were recently replaced.

My cooktop is not induction, so I cannot comment on the value of induction, but I wouldn't want to spend that much on a cooktop. Friends and family have spent a lot of time waiting for the Viking oven repair guy....as in, months, but that is a different product entirely.

I really like having the two wall ovens.

Mingus
Posts: 677
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:25 pm

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by Mingus » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:12 am

If the choice to get a 36" range requires a boutique brand, then it is a bad choice.

JoinToday
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:59 pm

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by JoinToday » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:11 am

What do you need? Is this mostly for looks, or do you do a lot of cooking that requires 6 burners at the same time?

We have a nice 30 inch higher end range with 4 burners with a big oven. We rarely use more than 2 burners at a time. I doubt we have ever used 4 at the same time -- and we cook a lot, but nothing fancy. Thanksgiving or Christmas is the only time we wish we had 2 ovens. Never more burners.

I would be looking at service, as previously mentioned. Get a mainstream brand with local service and reasonably priced parts. Or if you buy a boutique brand, just plan on sucking it up when (not if) service is needed.
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago

Topic Author
johan851
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by johan851 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:22 am

JoinToday wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:11 am
What do you need? Is this mostly for looks, or do you do a lot of cooking that requires 6 burners at the same time?

We have a nice 30 inch higher end range with 4 burners with a big oven. We rarely use more than 2 burners at a time. I doubt we have ever used 4 at the same time -- and we cook a lot, but nothing fancy. Thanksgiving or Christmas is the only time we wish we had 2 ovens. Never more burners.

I would be looking at service, as previously mentioned. Get a mainstream brand with local service and reasonably priced parts. Or if you buy a boutique brand, just plan on sucking it up when (not if) service is needed.
I don't really need six burners. I would say that looks are important, and I'm also thinking about future value of the home. The range is in a fairly prominent spot with the new layout (not necessarily by design, it's the most logical location) and I'm OK with spending a bit more to make it look great considering all the other costs going into it.

I'm also concerned about service, hence the 36" cooktop / 30" wall oven idea. There are a lot of much more "mainstream" options if I go that route.

madbrain
Posts: 5164
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by madbrain » Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:55 am

Haven't used a range. But I have had both 30 and 36 induction cooktops , and 30 and 36 inch double ovens. I think separates make more sense if you have space for both.
They should cost less to repair or replace.

User avatar
Bogle7
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 9:33 am

36" induction cooktop +

Post by Bogle7 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:24 am

We remodeled our smallish kitchen 1.1 years ago.
Before:
30-inch range - gas cooktop + electric oven
After:
36-inch gas cooktop
24-inch speed oven
24-inch convection oven

We cook a lot. Six dinners a week. Six breakfasts.
The 36-inch cooktop is a huge improvement for woking. I really enjoy the extra 6 inches. The loss of countertop space is not noticeable to us.
The 24-inch wall ovens are amazing. Large enough and way more precise.

We stayed with gas only because it would have cost $2K to add enough electrical power for induction.
Last edited by Bogle7 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theplayer11
Posts: 620
Joined: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:55 pm

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by theplayer11 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:51 am

tip: install a vent wider than the width of the stove.

Snapper
Posts: 73
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:23 am

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by Snapper » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:29 am

We installed an induction cooktop a year ago. We paired it with a pop up downdraft vent. We are very happy. We did look at a 36 hard as the the dealer offered a very good price on a demo unit. Our conclusion was the loss of counter space with the 36 did not offset the few times per year when we could use the extra burners. The 36 inch units we looked at were loaded with features, but niceties we could do without. We do love induction. It is by far the best cooktop we have owned.

texasdiver
Posts: 2797
Joined: Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:50 am
Location: Vancouver WA

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by texasdiver » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:15 pm

I would put in separates.

You don't really lose much space if at all because the space under the cooktop is available for pots and pans storage.

Then put in a double wall oven, or a oven/microwave combo. Also makes it nicer for big group cooking projects like Thanksgiving because your cooktop and oven are separated.

Topic Author
johan851
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by johan851 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:43 pm

texasdiver wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:15 pm
I would put in separates.

You don't really lose much space if at all because the space under the cooktop is available for pots and pans storage.

Then put in a double wall oven, or a oven/microwave combo. Also makes it nicer for big group cooking projects like Thanksgiving because your cooktop and oven are separated.
A double oven or combo seems like the biggest win by going with separates. Unfortunately, we don't have a great spot to put such a thing - almost everything is under counter space. I could consider putting an oven and speed oven side by side under the counter opposite the cooktop.

mariezzz
Posts: 311
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:02 pm

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by mariezzz » Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:55 pm

HereToLearn wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:18 pm
I have a 36" cooktop and 30" double wall ovens. They were both installed more than twenty years ago and both were recently replaced.

My cooktop is not induction, so I cannot comment on the value of induction, but I wouldn't want to spend that much on a cooktop. Friends and family have spent a lot of time waiting for the Viking oven repair guy....as in, months, but that is a different product entirely.

I really like having the two wall ovens.
Induction cooktops requires pans that will work on them. I'd be sure you really want induction and I'd never pay anything near $5,000 for them. (I assume you're not thinking of selling your house any time soon.)

About 8 years ago, some friends built a very high-end house. Husband is a tech guy and spent a lot of time looking at online reviews. Tried to get the best. Ended up with problematic, quite expensive, cooktops. Appliances these days typically do not last even 10 years.

Topic Author
johan851
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by johan851 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:03 pm

mariezzz wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:55 pm
Induction cooktops requires pans that will work on them. I'd be sure you really want induction and I'd never pay anything near $5,000 for them. (I assume you're not thinking of selling your house any time soon.)
Thanks - as I mentioned in my first post, we already have a 30" induction range and I really like it. Didn't pay anywhere near $5K for that, though a new 36" cooktop + new wall oven + speed oven would probably be north of $6K.

User avatar
Bogle7
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 9:33 am

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by Bogle7 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:17 pm

johan851 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:43 pm
I could consider putting an oven and speed oven side by side under the counter opposite the cooktop.
Don't. Too low. The ideal height for a double oven combo is about chest high.

Topic Author
johan851
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by johan851 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:19 pm

Bogle7 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:17 pm
johan851 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 3:43 pm
I could consider putting an oven and speed oven side by side under the counter opposite the cooktop.
Don't. Too low. The ideal height for a double oven combo is about chest high.
So you're saying don't do it all, stick with the 30" range? There's no floor to ceiling cabinetry appropriate for a combo oven at the right height, so any oven is going below the counter.

AlwaysaQ
Posts: 505
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:37 am

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by AlwaysaQ » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:20 pm

If you go with a 36" induction cooktop you can get a zoneless one. Not sure if there are 30 inch zoneless cooktops.

123
Posts: 4049
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:55 pm

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by 123 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:21 pm

I'd vote for 30" as the most conventional size and therefore the easiest to find a suitable brand that is well known and will more likely be readily repairable in case you need it. While many go for expansive custom looks in the kitchen they can cause a lot of grief if things don't work out as expected. Any "custom" features can also lead to "custom" repairs, the issue with repairs is often not the cost but the unavailability of parts and repair people who routinely work with the product. Yes you can be special with a extra large cooktop, and you can also be special as the person with the extra large cooktop that can't be repaired or replaced without special orders.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

User avatar
Bogle7
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 9:33 am

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by Bogle7 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:06 am

johan851 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:19 pm
There's no floor to ceiling cabinetry appropriate for a combo oven at the right height, so any oven is going below the counter.
What does your architect/kitchen designer say?
You do have one, right?

madbrain
Posts: 5164
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by madbrain » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:05 am

johan851 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:19 pm
So you're saying don't do it all, stick with the 30" range? There's no floor to ceiling cabinetry appropriate for a combo oven at the right height, so any oven is going below the counter.
That kind of cabinetry certainly exists. Maybe not in your kitchen currently, but it's around. About 12 years ago I designed my own kitchen using Ikea cabinets. Assembled them with my ex, too. Kitchen came out very well. It included a double 30" oven, and a 30" induction cooktop.
It was a very small floor plan, but still worked out.

quantAndHold
Posts: 2254
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:29 am

A normal 30” range is going to be the cheapest, both in the short and long run, and give you the most choices. By far. And be every bit as functional, possibly more functional, than an expensive setup.

That said, what does the rest of the kitchen look like? Is it going to be a “normal” kitchen, or one of those overimproved “chef’s” kitchens, where a 30” range would look cheap and out of place? If you’re worried about resale, you won’t want a bunch of mismatched stuff that the buyer will think they need to redo.

We bought a house that had a “chef’s kitchen.” The worst part of it was that :oops: Wolf stove. We hated that thing. It never worked quite right and was impossible to keep clean. But boy, those red knobs got attention when we went to sell...

nnnnnnn
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:48 pm

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by nnnnnnn » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:08 am

Hi there. We recently purchased/installed our first induction range. It's a 36" Bluestar induction. It was very important for us to have turn dials instead a screen for power input. The range has been running since July. Thus far, we've been happy with the range. We received good pricing on the range as our specialty appliance vendor was having a sale.

https://www.bluestarcooking.com/cooking ... n-cooktop/

Good luck!

neilpilot
Posts: 2009
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by neilpilot » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:17 am

nnnnnnn wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:08 am
Hi there. We recently purchased/installed our first induction range. It's a 36" Bluestar induction. It was very important for us to have turn dials instead a screen for power input. The range has been running since July. Thus far, we've been happy with the range. We received good pricing on the range as our specialty appliance vendor was having a sale.

https://www.bluestarcooking.com/cooking ... n-cooktop/

Good luck!
Nice cooktop, but this is certainly not a "range". Range is defined as "a cooking stove that has an oven and a flat top with burners or heating elements".

WhiteMaxima
Posts: 1625
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:04 pm

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by WhiteMaxima » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:33 am

You definitely need a gas one. 30" 4 burner, 36" 6 burner or 4 plus center. Strongly recommend BlueStar (for high BTU) although a little pricy (30" $4000, 36" $6000). If you are kind cook at home person, a good high heat gas range is a must. If you are super into cooking and have a big family to feed, a 48" is not out of question.

Topic Author
johan851
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by johan851 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:51 am

Bogle7 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:06 am
What does your architect/kitchen designer say?
You do have one, right?
I do have one. She's saying that either one will look great, so it's really down to what I want. And I'm mostly wondering if the added expense of replacing my perfectly good 30" induction range with either a 36" induction range or a 36" cooktop / 30" wall oven combo is worth it. Keeping my 30" range is free. Either of those replacement options are going to run $5,000 or more. That seems like a lot of dollars for 6" of cooktop space. But I'm not sure how it impacts long term usability and eventual resale value.
madbrain wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:05 am
That kind of cabinetry certainly exists. Maybe not in your kitchen currently, but it's around. About 12 years ago I designed my own kitchen using Ikea cabinets. Assembled them with my ex, too. Kitchen came out very well. It included a double 30" oven, and a 30" induction cooktop.
It was a very small floor plan, but still worked out.
My mistake - of course it exists. It does not currently exist in our layout, and there's not a great spot to add it. It's an open, galley-style kitchen, long with a door to our back deck at the end. Adding that cabinetry would make the space feel a lot more closed in and block some of the nice light we're hoping to get.
WhiteMaxima wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:33 am
You definitely need a gas one. 30" 4 burner, 36" 6 burner or 4 plus center. Strongly recommend BlueStar (for high BTU) although a little pricy (30" $4000, 36" $6000). If you are kind cook at home person, a good high heat gas range is a must. If you are super into cooking and have a big family to feed, a 48" is not out of question.
I wish. As I mentioned in my first post, there's no gas on our block.

Here, since this is confusing, I'll add some pictures.

Image
Image
Image

barnaclebob
Posts: 3187
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 am

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:18 pm

A 200lb propane tank for the range could be an option if you want a flame to cook with. That would probably add several k to your remodel though. A 6 burner stove is something I really want and would use a decent amount. We find ourselves with pressure canners, stock pots, etc on the stove while also trying to cook something. If/when we redo our kitchen it will be one of the upgrades but that wont be for many years.

I doubt it will really change your resale value that much. Anyone who really has to have a 6 burner stove will likely want a new kitchen anyway. Most of the houses around here that are in the 1mil to 1.5 mil range (2x the price of "starter homes") have 30" stoves or cooktops on islands with no hoods :annoyed. Its not until you get into the 2+mil range where 36" and up becomes more standard.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Bogle7
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 9:33 am

wall ovens

Post by Bogle7 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:27 pm

Put a 24-inch speed oven and a 24-inch convection oven to the right of refrigerator/hallway. Give up that useless counter space. You gain it back with the countertop microwave disappearing.

Our kitchen is way smaller than yours and this is what we did.
Image

Topic Author
johan851
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by johan851 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:54 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:18 pm
A 200lb propane tank for the range could be an option if you want a flame to cook with. That would probably add several k to your remodel though. A 6 burner stove is something I really want and would use a decent amount. We find ourselves with pressure canners, stock pots, etc on the stove while also trying to cook something. If/when we redo our kitchen it will be one of the upgrades but that wont be for many years.

I doubt it will really change your resale value that much. Anyone who really has to have a 6 burner stove will likely want a new kitchen anyway. Most of the houses around here that are in the 1mil to 1.5 mil range (2x the price of "starter homes") have 30" stoves or cooktops on islands with no hoods :annoyed. Its not until you get into the 2+mil range where 36" and up becomes more standard.
I've thought about the tank! It would be great to switch more appliances over to gas. But I'm not sure it's worth all the hassle. We already have an electric heat pump for heat, I'm going to put in a heat pump water heater, and induction for the stove, so...

Thank you for the insight on the resale value, that's very helpful context.

Topic Author
johan851
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: wall ovens

Post by johan851 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:55 pm

Bogle7 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:27 pm
Put a 24-inch speed oven and a 24-inch convection oven to the right of refrigerator/hallway. Give up that useless counter space. You gain it back with the countertop microwave disappearing.
To the left of the fridge, you mean?

User avatar
Bogle7
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 9:33 am

Re: wall ovens

Post by Bogle7 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:53 pm

johan851 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:55 pm
To the left of the fridge, you mean?
Right.
Fridge - Hallway - cabinet with 2 ovens

Topic Author
johan851
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: wall ovens

Post by johan851 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 3:31 pm

Bogle7 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:53 pm
johan851 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:55 pm
To the left of the fridge, you mean?
Right.
Fridge - Hallway - cabinet with 2 ovens
Got it. I cropped some text out the designs, but that countertop is a peninsula sort of thing that opens into the dining room. The wall with slashes is a pony wall adjoining the dining area. Unfortunately, that would make it a bad place to stack ovens. I did consider putting a conventional oven + speed oven side by side under the countertop to the left of the fridge, under the glass cabinets, but I don't love that placement either.

madbrain
Posts: 5164
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by madbrain » Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:17 pm

WhiteMaxima wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:33 am
You definitely need a gas one. 30" 4 burner, 36" 6 burner or 4 plus center. Strongly recommend BlueStar (for high BTU) although a little pricy (30" $4000, 36" $6000). If you are kind cook at home person, a good high heat gas range is a must. If you are super into cooking and have a big family to feed, a 48" is not out of question.
First thing I did when I bought my current home was to rip out the Thermador 36" gas cooktop, and replace it with a 36" Kenmore induction cooktop. I would never consider any cooktop other than induction. Much safer, power efficient, and I don't burn fossil fuels. I'm very much a kind of cook at home person.

mrc
Posts: 1257
Joined: Sun Jan 10, 2016 6:39 am

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by mrc » Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:35 pm

madbrain wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:17 pm

First thing I did when I bought my current home was to rip out the Thermador 36" gas cooktop, and replace it with a 36" Kenmore induction cooktop. I would never consider any cooktop other than induction. Much safer, power efficient, and I don't burn fossil fuels. I'm very much a kind of cook at home person.
You can buy green electricity exclusively? Cool!
If it’s not long term it’s small talk

JoinToday
Posts: 767
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:59 pm

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by JoinToday » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:41 pm

Does anyone have any health concerns with the (huge) magnetic fields used to with induction cooktops?

I know people who either don't use microwave ovens, or leave the room when one is on, and a microwave oven is relatively sealed to RF radiation (but microwaves propagate better due to their higher frequency. Induction cooktops operate at a lower frequency, but the power of 4 induction burners out in the open makes me wonder about the health effects.
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago

barnaclebob
Posts: 3187
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:54 am

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:43 pm

mrc wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:35 pm
madbrain wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:17 pm

First thing I did when I bought my current home was to rip out the Thermador 36" gas cooktop, and replace it with a 36" Kenmore induction cooktop. I would never consider any cooktop other than induction. Much safer, power efficient, and I don't burn fossil fuels. I'm very much a kind of cook at home person.
You can buy green electricity exclusively? Cool!
In the Puget Sound or maybe all of WA I think something like 90% of the electricity comes from non fossil fuel sources. Either way the amount of gas burned on a range is pretty minuscule. A furnace probably uses more gas in a day that most gas stoves use in a month.

madbrain
Posts: 5164
Joined: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:06 pm
Location: San Jose, California

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by madbrain » Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:19 pm

mrc wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:35 pm
madbrain wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:17 pm

First thing I did when I bought my current home was to rip out the Thermador 36" gas cooktop, and replace it with a 36" Kenmore induction cooktop. I would never consider any cooktop other than induction. Much safer, power efficient, and I don't burn fossil fuels. I'm very much a kind of cook at home person.
You can buy green electricity exclusively? Cool!
My utility gives me that option, yes. But I also have solar power that covers about 80% of my needs. Only the remaining 20% comes from the grid.
Also, the amount of electricity used for cooking with induction has to be fairly small compared to what we use to charge our 2 plug-in electric cars. If the induction cooktop runs at 5 kW power for 1/2 hour, that would be 2.5 kWh. The cars use between 15 and 40 kWh per day depending on amount of driving.

User avatar
leeks
Posts: 353
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:33 pm
Location: new york

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by leeks » Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:47 pm

johan851 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:51 am
Bogle7 wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:06 am
What does your architect/kitchen designer say?
You do have one, right?
I do have one. She's saying that either one will look great, so it's really down to what I want.
You are definately overthinking this. Your designer isn't pushing for a change. Keep the one you already have and with which you are satisfied.

User avatar
Bogle7
Posts: 86
Joined: Fri May 11, 2018 9:33 am

Aluminum foil: the wonder drug

Post by Bogle7 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:43 pm

JoinToday wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:41 pm
Does anyone have any health concerns with the (huge) magnetic fields used to with induction cooktops?
No.
I wear my Chobham Armor protection suit.

User avatar
papiper
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 10:36 am

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by papiper » Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:14 am

We just installed a 36" gas range/stove. While it's very nice to have 6 burners with all the space, what we really like is the oven is wider so two normal size cookie sheets fit easily on the same rack, or we can actually use the large commercial size sheets.

User avatar
LilyFleur
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by LilyFleur » Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:23 am

madbrain wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:17 pm
WhiteMaxima wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:33 am
You definitely need a gas one. 30" 4 burner, 36" 6 burner or 4 plus center. Strongly recommend BlueStar (for high BTU) although a little pricy (30" $4000, 36" $6000). If you are kind cook at home person, a good high heat gas range is a must. If you are super into cooking and have a big family to feed, a 48" is not out of question.
First thing I did when I bought my current home was to rip out the Thermador 36" gas cooktop, and replace it with a 36" Kenmore induction cooktop. I would never consider any cooktop other than induction. Much safer, power efficient, and I don't burn fossil fuels. I'm very much a kind of cook at home person.
I cooked on gas most of my life. When I got my condo, I HATED my electric stove. Replaced it with induction cooktop with convection oven. Induction reduces cooking time, heats and cools off almost instantly, and doesn't set off my hot flashes like a gas stove! I picked up a few pans at TJ Maxx. Oh, and you can even put a paper towel over the burner and under your pan while you are cooking to catch any spills.

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 7932
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:58 am

madbrain wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 6:19 pm
mrc wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 6:35 pm
madbrain wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:17 pm

First thing I did when I bought my current home was to rip out the Thermador 36" gas cooktop, and replace it with a 36" Kenmore induction cooktop. I would never consider any cooktop other than induction. Much safer, power efficient, and I don't burn fossil fuels. I'm very much a kind of cook at home person.
You can buy green electricity exclusively? Cool!
My utility gives me that option, yes. But I also have solar power that covers about 80% of my needs. Only the remaining 20% comes from the grid.
Also, the amount of electricity used for cooking with induction has to be fairly small compared to what we use to charge our 2 plug-in electric cars. If the induction cooktop runs at 5 kW power for 1/2 hour, that would be 2.5 kWh. The cars use between 15 and 40 kWh per day depending on amount of driving.
Johan, my apologies for continuing the topic diversion, but . . .
I am considering replacing our propane cooktop with induction. We have already replaced, or are replacing, other power users (oil furnace, water heater, etc) with electric of one flavor or another, but was reluctant. Do y’all really like induction? I’m not a great cook, but am a frequent “short order cook,” (making eggs,pasta,burgers,fish), and my kids like to make elaborate meals when they’re at home on break.
PS Before another wrinkle gets added to the discussion, all of our electricity will be home grown (panels and battery)

PPS OP, I can’t speak to boutique brands, or the relative cost of keeping what you have vs replacing, but having recently moved to the Boston area, I appreciate being able to bring two large lobster pots to a boil at the same time. :sharebeer I would go large.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

Topic Author
johan851
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:59 pm

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by johan851 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:32 pm

Aside from the minor inconvenience of certain cookware not working, I love it. It's extremely fast and responsive, far better than other electric options.

The ceramic cooktop requires a lot of cleaning compared to gas, and I can't use my round bottomed wok, which is a bummer. Those are the only downsides I can think of.

User avatar
TomatoTomahto
Posts: 7932
Joined: Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:48 pm

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:34 pm

johan851 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:32 pm
Aside from the minor inconvenience of certain cookware not working, I love it. It's extremely fast and responsive, far better than other electric options.
The ceramic cooktop requires a lot of cleaning compared to gas, and I can't use my round bottomed wok, which is a bummer. Those are the only downsides I can think of.
I looked one up (Wolf, as it happens) and it sure does require a substantial electrical connection (240VAC, 50A) for the 36" version. But, in for a penny, in for a pound :D

Maybe in 2020; 2019 is full :oops:
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

brajalle
Posts: 179
Joined: Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:03 pm

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by brajalle » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:12 am

How often do you use the oven and what is the largest sized item you cook in there? There's a pretty decent argument, IMO, for getting something like a speed oven with a cooktop instead of a traditional oven for many people. The downside is, of course, price. I'd also consider steam ovens, as I've heard that they will change the way you cook and how you look at leftovers - I'd go Miele for a plumbed steam oven btw.

strafe
Posts: 862
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:49 pm

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by strafe » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:33 am

LilyFleur wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:23 am
madbrain wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:17 pm
WhiteMaxima wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:33 am
You definitely need a gas one. 30" 4 burner, 36" 6 burner or 4 plus center. Strongly recommend BlueStar (for high BTU) although a little pricy (30" $4000, 36" $6000). If you are kind cook at home person, a good high heat gas range is a must. If you are super into cooking and have a big family to feed, a 48" is not out of question.
First thing I did when I bought my current home was to rip out the Thermador 36" gas cooktop, and replace it with a 36" Kenmore induction cooktop. I would never consider any cooktop other than induction. Much safer, power efficient, and I don't burn fossil fuels. I'm very much a kind of cook at home person.
I cooked on gas most of my life. When I got my condo, I HATED my electric stove. Replaced it with induction cooktop with convection oven. Induction reduces cooking time, heats and cools off almost instantly, and doesn't set off my hot flashes like a gas stove! I picked up a few pans at TJ Maxx. Oh, and you can even put a paper towel over the burner and under your pan while you are cooking to catch any spills.
The burner itself may not get hot, but the bottom of the pan sure does! Same temp as putting the paper towel in the pan.

User avatar
LilyFleur
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by LilyFleur » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:16 pm

strafe wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:33 am
LilyFleur wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 4:23 am
madbrain wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:17 pm
WhiteMaxima wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:33 am
You definitely need a gas one. 30" 4 burner, 36" 6 burner or 4 plus center. Strongly recommend BlueStar (for high BTU) although a little pricy (30" $4000, 36" $6000). If you are kind cook at home person, a good high heat gas range is a must. If you are super into cooking and have a big family to feed, a 48" is not out of question.
First thing I did when I bought my current home was to rip out the Thermador 36" gas cooktop, and replace it with a 36" Kenmore induction cooktop. I would never consider any cooktop other than induction. Much safer, power efficient, and I don't burn fossil fuels. I'm very much a kind of cook at home person.
I cooked on gas most of my life. When I got my condo, I HATED my electric stove. Replaced it with induction cooktop with convection oven. Induction reduces cooking time, heats and cools off almost instantly, and doesn't set off my hot flashes like a gas stove! I picked up a few pans at TJ Maxx. Oh, and you can even put a paper towel over the burner and under your pan while you are cooking to catch any spills.
The burner itself may not get hot, but the bottom of the pan sure does! Same temp as putting the paper towel in the pan.
I just made popcorn with a paper towel under the pan the other night. It didn't even get singed but it did catch the grease spatter (some of the oil invariably gets out of the lid).

Not my idea, but I haven't had any problems with it.

BogleBoogie
Posts: 590
Joined: Tue May 13, 2014 11:15 am
Location: AK

Re: 30" or 36" induction range for remodel?

Post by BogleBoogie » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:51 pm

johan851 wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:22 am
JoinToday wrote:
Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:11 am
What do you need? Is this mostly for looks, or do you do a lot of cooking that requires 6 burners at the same time?

We have a nice 30 inch higher end range with 4 burners with a big oven. We rarely use more than 2 burners at a time. I doubt we have ever used 4 at the same time -- and we cook a lot, but nothing fancy. Thanksgiving or Christmas is the only time we wish we had 2 ovens. Never more burners.

I would be looking at service, as previously mentioned. Get a mainstream brand with local service and reasonably priced parts. Or if you buy a boutique brand, just plan on sucking it up when (not if) service is needed.
I don't really need six burners. I would say that looks are important, and I'm also thinking about future value of the home. The range is in a fairly prominent spot with the new layout (not necessarily by design, it's the most logical location) and I'm OK with spending a bit more to make it look great considering all the other costs going into it.

I'm also concerned about service, hence the 36" cooktop / 30" wall oven idea. There are a lot of much more "mainstream" options if I go that route.
Sounds like you already answered your question. You don't need a 36" cooktop and likely won't use it to the capacity but prefer the look. Go for the 36".

Post Reply