master suite features for addition

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Jimmie

Re: master suite features for addition

Post by Jimmie » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:00 pm

delamer wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:42 am
Why go to the expense of two laundry rooms in one house?
For the same reason as the expense of having more than one bathroom in one house: Convenience. In larger homes, the main laundry room may be quite some distance away from the master suite. Having an additional laundry room in the suite makes it very convenient.

Remember, the OP's intent was suggestions for "features". It was not meant to be bare bones.

delamer

Post by delamer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:39 pm

Jimmie wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:00 pm
delamer wrote:
For the same reason as the expense of having more than one bathroom in one house: Convenience. In larger homes, the main laundry room may be quite some distance away from the master suite. Having an additional laundry room in the suite makes it very convenient.

Remember, the OP's intent was suggestions for "features". It was not meant to be bare bones.
The OP also said “simple.”

Jimmie

Post by Jimmie » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:40 pm

delamer wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:39 pm
Jimmie wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:00 pm
delamer wrote:

The OP also said “simple.”
"Simple" is subjective.

In my house, the main laundry is at the other end of the house. Below the master suite is a crawlspace for the plumbing. Home Depot sells several stacked washer/dryer units for $1,000 to $1,500. Even including the plumbing costs, for under $2,000, I could add a second laundry to my master suite and consider that as a "simple" addition.

HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:31 pm

delamer wrote:
Trism wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:54 pm
I would put a washer and dryer inside the master walk-in closet, along with an ample table to fold things when they come out of the dryer. You could do a Murphy-style table if you didn't want it out all the time.

This would be in addition to a laundry room elsewhere in the house.
I won't run the washer or dryer if I am not home, and sometimes it is nice to knock out two loads of laundry at the same time. I have a stackable in the hall closet on the second floor and a larger washer & dryer in the unfinished section of the basement.

delamer

Post by delamer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:09 pm

HereToLearn wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:31 pm
delamer wrote:
Trism wrote:
I would put a washer and dryer inside the master walk-in closet, along with an ample table to fold things when they come out of the dryer. You could do a Murphy-style table if you didn't want it out all the time.

I won't run the washer or dryer if I am not home, and sometimes it is nice to knock out two loads of laundry at the same time. I have a stackable in the hall closet on the second floor and a larger washer & dryer in the unfinished section of the basement.
I can’t see paying for a 2nd set of appliances to be able to occasionally run 2 loads of wash simultaneously.

Post by 123 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:22 pm

Depending on your climate you might want to consider an electric (ceiling/wall) heater in the bathroom. An electric heater can quickly heat a small area instead of relying upon central heat to warm up an entire house so someone can be comfortable in the bathroom (often an early morning situation). Depending on your climate you may want seperate heat/air conditioning avalable for the master suite as well, not necessarily full-blown HVAC but supplemental heat/cooling.

Anyone who applies make-up will want strong and even lighting around the vanity. A vanity with lots of drawers of various depts is helpful for those that keep all their potions. A vanity with a large surface area beyond the sink is also desireable (a double vanity situation without a second sink is the kind of sizing I'm suggeting).
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:12 am

delamer wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:09 pm
HereToLearn wrote:
delamer wrote:
Trism wrote:

I can’t see paying for a 2nd set of appliances to be able to occasionally run 2 loads of wash simultaneously.
After 22 years of use, it has been run more than occasionally. There was a huge convenience factor to being able to run the laundry during the bath & bedtime process when the children were young.

I did not price out the build-out costs separately, but I am guessing it was as much as the cost of the stackable unit.

I cannot imagine having two dishwashers, but I am very glad that I had the stackable washer/dryer installed.

WWJBDo

Post by WWJBDo » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:38 am

Our master bath has a shower 44" x 88" and it's too big. A space that large doesn't warm up when it's cool in the bathroom. Being in SoCal, we usually use the outdoor shower (love it!) unless it's cold and windy. If I can't go outside and it's cold in the house, I find excuses to use the other shower that's 40" x 46". That shower heats up much better. Also, both showers have a built in bench (with minimal slope for drainage) which is very useful.
In the bathroom, we have a strip of remote controlled LED color lights above the cabinets that are on a wall switch. Those are by default set to 'red', and they are the best lights before you go to bed- it's blue light that resets your body to wake up and the red light doesn't wake you before bed.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Trism

Post by Trism » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:16 pm

delamer wrote:
Trism wrote:

Convenience.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:21 pm

I vote for a separate WC room if space allows and a shower panel or shower jets. I prefer the shower panel as it is much cheaper and easier to replace/repair. Also, whether doing a shower and/or tub, I find a handheld wand very handy for cleaning. My shower panel has an overhead "rainforest" head, 8 jets, a foot wash faucet (which I don't use ever) and a wand.

Trism

Post by Trism » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:52 pm

delamer wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:09 pm
HereToLearn wrote:
delamer wrote:
Trism wrote:

For us the prospect of running two loads simultaneously would be secondary. The convenience of having laundry appliances in two locations is what would be worthwhile for us.

This obviously wouldn't make sense in a 1,000 SF house, but I haven't lived in a tiny space since I was in my 20s.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:58 pm

Trism wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:16 pm
delamer wrote:
Trism wrote:

Convenience.
I would expect most people are washing mostly clothes. Yes, you wash sheets and towels, but don't those come from the bedrooms too? If I was going to put a washer/dryer in/near the master I would move the existing set. If you have a 5k or 10k square foot house then this is probably moot and you don't care about costs.

It also isn't just the cost of the machines. It is also installing water lines, gas lines (if using a gas dryer), drain lines, etc.

HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:52 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:58 pm
Trism wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:16 pm
delamer wrote:
Trism wrote:

Convenience.
I would expect most people are washing mostly clothes. Yes, you wash sheets and towels, but don't those come from the bedrooms too? If I was going to put a washer/dryer in/near the master I would move the existing set. If you have a 5k or 10k square foot house then this is probably moot and you don't care about costs.

It also isn't just the cost of the machines. It is also installing water lines, gas lines (if using a gas dryer), drain lines, etc.
I had the stackable installed sharing a wall with the bath tub in the hall bathroom so I think the plumbing costs were lower than they would have been otherwise. Both upstairs bathrooms were gutted and replaced at the same time. We did need to install a tile floor pitched to the drain, although if the washing machine overflowed, the water would all just run through the ceiling. Also had to add an electric outlet for the washer and dryer. Cost was probably not inconsequential, but since it was rolled into a large construction project, I don't have the exact figure.

I didn't have space to build a full laundry room upstairs, but if I had, I would have installed a set of full-sized washer & dryer, similar to the ones I have in the basement.

MarkerFM

Post by MarkerFM » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:26 am

I second the idea of reading lights in the ceiling over each side of the bed, with three-way switches on both sides of the bed, low enough to reach from the bed.

Separate WC is nice, our winter home has his and hers.

If you have room, and are in a suitable climate, an indoor/outdoor shower would be awesome.

Something I didn't see posted yet: a wall safe in the closet.

Topic Author
BashDash

Post by BashDash » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:47 am

The reading light idea has my interested me since we are both nightly readers. I think the glare might bother me in the ceiling or are there special reading lights where this won't happen. I was thinking on sidewall right above bed

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:40 am

BashDash wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:47 am
The reading light idea has my interested me since we are both nightly readers. I think the glare might bother me in the ceiling or are there special reading lights where this won't happen. I was thinking on sidewall right above bed
In our previous house, we had sidewall lights right above the bed. It still bothered my wife. I read a combination of printed and Kindle books; at night I just read on the new and very improved Kindle Oasis with built in illumination.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

travellight

Post by travellight » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:10 am

A Japanese style bidet toilet. Costco had a very sleek gorgeous one for $1000. You can get a lower price bidet seat for about $200 but be sure to have an electric outlet within 3 feet of the toilet in order to be able to plug-in.