"Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
b0B
Posts: 513
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:39 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by b0B » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:26 pm

Housedoc wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:30 pm
I had a chat session going for a bit today with no issues. I inquired about the new 3% cash rewards for my son. He needs a Visa to use at Costco. I was told he could apply under MasterCard than request a switch to a Visa. Same rewards. I have had a CC with them for years and have no issues. I pay my balance off via Android App.
This is nonsense. Just get one of the Visa versions Cash Rewards Card from the outset.
boogiehead wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:27 pm
Does someone know if the MLB version of the cash reward card will be eligible for the 5.25% cash back as well with plat honors..... To me the BOA cash reward card looks hideous :P
All the versions Cash Rewards Cards work identically.

Topic Author
b0B
Posts: 513
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:39 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by b0B » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:28 pm

Housedoc wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:30 pm
I had a chat session going for a bit today with no issues. ...
You had a chat session?! I haven't seen that for ages. How did you access that?

MisterBill
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MisterBill » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:31 am

b0B wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:28 pm
Housedoc wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:30 pm
I had a chat session going for a bit today with no issues. ...
You had a chat session?! I haven't seen that for ages. How did you access that?
There's actually what I assume is unsecure chat on the bottom of their credit card page:

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-ca ... dit-cards/

BTW has anyone ever done a product change from the basic Cash Rewards card to one of the sponsored cards like Komen or Wildflife?

lakpr
Posts: 2216
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:59 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by lakpr » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:35 am

b0B and MisterBill,

It is not possible to product change from a MasterCard version of CashRewards to Visa, or from one version to another (say wildlife to MLB). I tried this, even escalated to a supervisor, but received the same answer. I wanted to convert my Mastercard to Visa for use at Costco. I was told to cancel the current card and reapply, I wasn’t willing to do that because this card is one of my Oldest, 20 years+ since it had been an MBNA card.

MisterBill
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MisterBill » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:42 am

lakpr wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:35 am
b0B and MisterBill,

It is not possible to product change from a MasterCard version of CashRewards to Visa, or from one version to another (say wildlife to MLB). I tried this, even escalated to a supervisor, but received the same answer. I wanted to convert my Mastercard to Visa for use at Costco. I was told to cancel the current card and reapply, I wasn’t willing to do that because this card is one of my Oldest, 20 years+ since it had been an MBNA card.
That's odd, since I had subsequently read posts on other boards saying that it was. And in fact, going from one version to another, specifically if you stay with the same card type (i.e., Visa) isn't even considered a product change, although it can take 30-45 days. I'll try calling today.

Topic Author
b0B
Posts: 513
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:39 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by b0B » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:09 pm

MisterBill wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:31 am
b0B wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:28 pm
Housedoc wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 5:30 pm
I had a chat session going for a bit today with no issues. ...
You had a chat session?! I haven't seen that for ages. How did you access that?
There's actually what I assume is unsecure chat on the bottom of their credit card page:

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-ca ... dit-cards/
Oh okay, that's totally different. They provide chat for people wanting new cards/accounts, but do not provide chat (nor secure messaging) to service cards/accounts once opened.

MisterBill
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MisterBill » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:13 pm

b0B wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:09 pm

Oh okay, that's totally different. They provide chat for people wanting new cards/accounts, but do not provide chat (nor secure messaging) to service cards/accounts once opened.
They have secure messaging thru Facebook but not on their website.

Topic Author
b0B
Posts: 513
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:39 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by b0B » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:23 pm

MisterBill wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:13 pm
b0B wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:09 pm

Oh okay, that's totally different. They provide chat for people wanting new cards/accounts, but do not provide chat (nor secure messaging) to service cards/accounts once opened.
They have secure messaging thru Facebook but not on their website.
That's absolutely useless.

shipwreck
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 12:55 am
Location: North of the Equator

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by shipwreck » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:35 am

Trism wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:16 am
shipwreck wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:05 am

Thanks for the info. I tried to increase the limit on 2 of my cards. No counter on both requests. I am sure the 5 to 7 days letter will be a rejection letter. I still don't know why I keep these cards.
Call and talk to a credit analyst, and see if they'll reconsider. Often a human's interpretation of your qualifications will be different from an automated one.

Good luck.

BofA: 800-881-4730, 866-226-8225, 800-247-7975 (Credit Analyst, existing accounts only)
BofA: 866-618-4585 (Sr Credit Analyst)
Thanks for the info. I got my rejection letters for a credit increase. Both stated I need to unlock my credit reports at Transunion and Experian and call back . Ill pass for now. Ill keep all this in mind next time I unlock my credit for another reason.

User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 4144
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by munemaker » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:50 am

The Doctor reported that "Choose Your 3% Category" went live today (01/11). Has anyone seen it on their BOA cards? I have not. Maybe it is a phased cut in and I will see it in a few days.

Watts
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:04 am
Location: Texas

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by Watts » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:49 am

munemaker wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:50 am
The Doctor reported that "Choose Your 3% Category" went live today (01/11). Has anyone seen it on their BOA cards? I have not. Maybe it is a phased cut in and I will see it in a few days.
Doesn’t appear to be active for me as of yet.

furwut
Posts: 1487
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:54 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by furwut » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:51 am

Watts wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:49 am
munemaker wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:50 am
The Doctor reported that "Choose Your 3% Category" went live today (01/11). Has anyone seen it on their BOA cards? I have not. Maybe it is a phased cut in and I will see it in a few days.
Doesn’t appear to be active for me as of yet.
Yesterday I received an email from BoA that reads, in part,
Beginning the week of January 14* you'll be able to choose the category where you want to earn 3% cash back2 in the Mobile Banking app3 or Online Banking. You'll also have more flexible redemption options. Best of all, you don't need to do anything right now — all of these enhancements will be automatic!

*It may take up to 7-10 business days for you to be enrolled in the new program.

shipwreck
Posts: 81
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 12:55 am
Location: North of the Equator

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by shipwreck » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:17 am

I do see it on my account. A change I also see is now you can get the cash back on any amount if done as a statement credit. Before I had to accumulate $25 in rewards before I could redeem any amount. It makes keeping them active a little more rewarding I guess.

User avatar
Halfvolley
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:41 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by Halfvolley » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:31 am

whodidntante wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:38 am
MisterBill wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:43 pm
What has people's experiences been getting additional cards approved at BofA? I already have a regular Cash Rewards card and an MLB card but would like to get another so I can have a third 5.25% category. Also have the Travel Reward and Premium Rewards card. Last time I got a new card they took some of the credit line from another card, and have had to move CL around. In fact, at the moment I have only a $200 CL on the MLB card and will have to fix that before I start using it for the new 5.25% category.

I assume it would be best if I got a different card like the Susan G Komen rather than another of the regular CR cards.
Currently I have 75k in credit extended by BoA and that must be their sweat point, at least for me. So when I apply for a new card, they cut an existing limit and apply the credit limit to the new card. It's dealer's choice (BoA), although they've been willing to move limits around when I asked them to.
DW and I have about 75k each in credit spread across the following BOA cards:

Me:
Premium Rewards Visa Signature
MLB Cash Rewards Mastercard
Cash Rewards Visa Signature
Susan Komen Visa Signature

DW:
Premium Rewards Visa Signature
MLB Cash Rewards Mastercard
Cash Rewards Visa Signature

With the $200 off $500 (or $350 for the Platinum Honors) for each card, I'd like to add the remaining 5 (500/200) cards (2 WWFs, 2 Prides, and 1 Komen).

BOA has finally wised up and is "reviewing" (denying) our latest two applications.

Has anyone been able to get all 5 of the (500/200) cards? If so, what's the best approach? Do I need to cancel ones where I've already received the bonus to lower my total BOA credit limit? Or do they have some variation of the 5/24 rule where I'll need to wait for a period of time before applying for more?

MisterBill
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MisterBill » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:47 am

shipwreck wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:17 am
I do see it on my account. A change I also see is now you can get the cash back on any amount if done as a statement credit. Before I had to accumulate $25 in rewards before I could redeem any amount. It makes keeping them active a little more rewarding I guess.
In the past you didn't get the bonus (10-75%) if you applied it as a statement credit, so that is also a change. I guess that was to be expected since the bonus is applied at the time of the charge, not at redemption.

MisterBill
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MisterBill » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:53 am

Halfvolley wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:31 am
BOA has finally wised up and is "reviewing" (denying) our latest two applications.

Has anyone been able to get all 5 of the (500/200) cards? If so, what's the best approach? Do I need to cancel ones where I've already received the bonus to lower my total BOA credit limit? Or do they have some variation of the 5/24 rule where I'll need to wait for a period of time before applying for more?
Did you call them? They may just want to reallocate some of the credit to the new cards.

In my case, I ended up getting the SGK card that I applied for. I had to call and initially the rep said they needed to move CL from one card to this new one. Unfortunately the only card I had that was not dual ownership only had $5000 CL on it and downgrading that from a Visa Signature would have taken a while, so the person told me to do a joint application by phone and then they could move CL from one of my other cards. But when the rep I was transferred to checked my original application, it had been approved at $2500 (not as Visa Signature, but not a big deal).

User avatar
Halfvolley
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:41 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by Halfvolley » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:23 am

MisterBill wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:53 am
Halfvolley wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:31 am
BOA has finally wised up and is "reviewing" (denying) our latest two applications.

Has anyone been able to get all 5 of the (500/200) cards? If so, what's the best approach? Do I need to cancel ones where I've already received the bonus to lower my total BOA credit limit? Or do they have some variation of the 5/24 rule where I'll need to wait for a period of time before applying for more?
Did you call them? They may just want to reallocate some of the credit to the new cards.

In my case, I ended up getting the SGK card that I applied for. I had to call and initially the rep said they needed to move CL from one card to this new one. Unfortunately the only card I had that was not dual ownership only had $5000 CL on it and downgrading that from a Visa Signature would have taken a while, so the person told me to do a joint application by phone and then they could move CL from one of my other cards. But when the rep I was transferred to checked my original application, it had been approved at $2500 (not as Visa Signature, but not a big deal).
I did and was told that the review team must approve the application prior to reallocating any existing CL. If I'm ultimately denied, I'll likely see a report with the general reason(s) (too many recent hard inquiries, too many credit lines, etc.), but I doubt it will give me any objective criteria to know when exactly to reapply.

MisterBill
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MisterBill » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:39 am

Halfvolley wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:23 am
I did and was told that the review team must approve the application prior to reallocating any existing CL. If I'm ultimately denied, I'll likely see a report with the general reason(s) (too many recent hard inquiries, too many credit lines, etc.), but I doubt it will give me any objective criteria to know when exactly to reapply.
Are you a Preferred Rewards customer? I am, and I called a special number that got me a senior analyst. I got the impression she was the one who could make a decision. Of course I don't have as many cards as you, so maybe your situation was different.

User avatar
FrugalInvestor
Posts: 5164
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:20 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:49 am

student wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:31 pm
Online shopping would be interesting.
This is what we use ours for almost exclusively. We previously used out Citibank Double Cash card but they started having problems with their virtual card number generator and we use only virtual cards for online purchases. BofA still issues virtual cards with no problems. We just got the BofA card so were happy to see that we could increase our online shopping category percentage.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

MisterBill
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MisterBill » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:35 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:49 am
student wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:31 pm
Online shopping would be interesting.
This is what we use ours for almost exclusively. We previously used out Citibank Double Cash card but they started having problems with their virtual card number generator and we use only virtual cards for online purchases. BofA still issues virtual cards with no problems. We just got the BofA card so were happy to see that we could increase our online shopping category percentage.
It will be very interesting to see what qualifies in that category. Online payment of insurance and phone/cable would be nice, although I'm not optimistic that it will be.

User avatar
FrugalInvestor
Posts: 5164
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:20 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:24 pm

MisterBill wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:35 pm
FrugalInvestor wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:49 am
student wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:31 pm
Online shopping would be interesting.
This is what we use ours for almost exclusively. We previously used out Citibank Double Cash card but they started having problems with their virtual card number generator and we use only virtual cards for online purchases. BofA still issues virtual cards with no problems. We just got the BofA card so were happy to see that we could increase our online shopping category percentage.
It will be very interesting to see what qualifies in that category. Online payment of insurance and phone/cable would be nice, although I'm not optimistic that it will be.
It's a vendor category not method of payment.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Watts
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:04 am
Location: Texas

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by Watts » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:16 pm

Halfvolley wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:31 am
DW and I have about 75k each in credit spread across the following BOA cards:

Me:
Premium Rewards Visa Signature
MLB Cash Rewards Mastercard
Cash Rewards Visa Signature
Susan Komen Visa Signature

DW:
Premium Rewards Visa Signature
MLB Cash Rewards Mastercard
Cash Rewards Visa Signature

With the $200 off $500 (or $350 for the Platinum Honors) for each card, I'd like to add the remaining 5 (500/200) cards (2 WWFs, 2 Prides, and 1 Komen).

BOA has finally wised up and is "reviewing" (denying) our latest two applications.

Has anyone been able to get all 5 of the (500/200) cards? If so, what's the best approach? Do I need to cancel ones where I've already received the bonus to lower my total BOA credit limit? Or do they have some variation of the 5/24 rule where I'll need to wait for a period of time before applying for more?
About a year ago, there have been reports of a '2/3/4' rule, which limits BoA cards to 2 in 2 months, 3 in 12 months, and 4 in 24 months. Unlike the chase 5/24 rule, I believe this rule only applies to Bank of America cards, not all recently opened cards amongst all card issuers.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/httpswww ... ta-points/

Watts
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:04 am
Location: Texas

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by Watts » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:17 pm

furwut wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:51 am
Yesterday I received an email from BoA that reads, in part,
Beginning the week of January 14* you'll be able to choose the category where you want to earn 3% cash back2 in the Mobile Banking app3 or Online Banking. You'll also have more flexible redemption options. Best of all, you don't need to do anything right now — all of these enhancements will be automatic!

*It may take up to 7-10 business days for you to be enrolled in the new program.
Thanks for this update. I never received such an email, but this gives me a good timeline for when to expect it.

NoHeat
Posts: 308
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:13 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by NoHeat » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:57 pm

Will BoA issue a new Cash Rewards MasterCard, if you already have the Visa version? I’m just wondering if this would allow collecting their top-tier rewards in two categories, or doubling the quarterly limit on gasoline.

MisterBill
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MisterBill » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:52 pm

NoHeat wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:57 pm
Will BoA issue a new Cash Rewards MasterCard, if you already have the Visa version? I’m just wondering if this would allow collecting their top-tier rewards in two categories, or doubling the quarterly limit on gasoline.
Yes, that's what many are doing. I already had two, one of which was an MLB card that I had sock drawered and only had a $200 CL on but didn't want to close. I reallocate my CL to have a reasonable amount on thawt one and I just got a third account, the Susan G. Komen card. There's actually no need to get the plain Mastercard as your second card when you can get one of the co-branded ones like the SGK or World Wildlife Fund, both of which actually give a donation to the organization at no cost to you.

There's also the US Pride card if you want to be patriotic, or one (or more) of the sports team cards.

Even sweeter is that there's a $200 signup bonus for the new card (maybe $350 if the 75% for Platinum Honors applies), plus a year of 0% interest on charges (and cash advances, but the 3% fee is not waived).
Last edited by MisterBill on Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MisterBill
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MisterBill » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:53 pm

Watts wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:17 pm
furwut wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:51 am
Yesterday I received an email from BoA that reads, in part,
Beginning the week of January 14* you'll be able to choose the category where you want to earn 3% cash back2 in the Mobile Banking app3 or Online Banking. You'll also have more flexible redemption options. Best of all, you don't need to do anything right now — all of these enhancements will be automatic!

*It may take up to 7-10 business days for you to be enrolled in the new program.
Thanks for this update. I never received such an email, but this gives me a good timeline for when to expect it.
I'm actually very disappointed that it can take a week+ to change the category. I was looking forward to having a 5.25% restaurant card starting tomorrow!

Update: found a post on DOC that said that the change was effective immediately. So now all I need is to be able to change the category!
Update 2: it's after midnight and the new options are still not available to me.

student
Posts: 3745
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:58 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by student » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:55 pm

MisterBill wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:53 pm
Watts wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:17 pm
furwut wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:51 am
Yesterday I received an email from BoA that reads, in part,
Beginning the week of January 14* you'll be able to choose the category where you want to earn 3% cash back2 in the Mobile Banking app3 or Online Banking. You'll also have more flexible redemption options. Best of all, you don't need to do anything right now — all of these enhancements will be automatic!

*It may take up to 7-10 business days for you to be enrolled in the new program.
Thanks for this update. I never received such an email, but this gives me a good timeline for when to expect it.
I'm actually very disappointed that it can take a week+ to change the category. I was looking forward to having a 5.25% restaurant card starting tomorrow!

Update: found a post on DOC that said that the change was effective immediately. So now all I need is to be able to change the category!
Update 2: it's after midnight and the new options are still not available to me.
Not available to me when I checked a couple of hours ago.

libralibra
Posts: 345
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:01 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by libralibra » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:31 pm

post removed
Last edited by libralibra on Mon May 27, 2019 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jrbdmb
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:27 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by jrbdmb » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:40 pm

For those looking for a new (and different) BoA Cash rewards card beyond MLB, BoA has deals with a large number of universities (mainly through the school's alumni associations). I can't find a list of these anywhere, but a quick google search will let you know if "your" school is available.

Ex. https://personalize.bankofamerica.com/clemson/

MisterBill
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MisterBill » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:55 pm

jrbdmb wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:40 pm
For those looking for a new (and different) BoA Cash rewards card beyond MLB, BoA has deals with a large number of universities (mainly through the school's alumni associations). I can't find a list of these anywhere, but a quick google search will let you know if "your" school is available.

Ex. https://personalize.bankofamerica.com/clemson/
Note those only come with $150 cash back while the normal ones offer $200. plus 0% for a year which is not on the alumni cards. But it might be nice to have something with your school's logo, you need to decide if it's worth $50 in bonus money (plus a possible extra 75% if you qualify and they still offer it with the new system).

MisterBill
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MisterBill » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:52 pm

libralibra wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:31 pm
This page has a bunch of examples and exceptions http://bankofamerica.com/choosemycategory
But sadly not a link to change to a new category!

User avatar
FrugalInvestor
Posts: 5164
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:20 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by FrugalInvestor » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:11 am

MisterBill wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:52 pm
libralibra wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:31 pm
This page has a bunch of examples and exceptions http://bankofamerica.com/choosemycategory
But sadly not a link to change to a new category!
We scoured the BofA credit card website (after logging in) today and couldn't find a link either. Tomorrow I'll call if it's still not there.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

criticalmass
Posts: 1154
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:58 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by criticalmass » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:23 am

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:11 am
MisterBill wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:52 pm
libralibra wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:31 pm
This page has a bunch of examples and exceptions http://bankofamerica.com/choosemycategory
But sadly not a link to change to a new category!
We scoured the BofA credit card website (after logging in) today and couldn't find a link either. Tomorrow I'll call if it's still not there.
Patience is golden. It's not there because your account hasn't been changed yet. BoA is implementing throughout this entire week, so you will likely need to wait the same amount of time for your account whether or not you call first.

My account has this message as of 1/15: "Soon, you'll be able to choose the category where you want to earn 3% cash back."
Click on the Rewards tab, then "Learn more about your rewards program" on right.

User avatar
Earl Lemongrab
Posts: 7270
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:11 am

I saw the ad for new cards. I will need to look over my current spending patterns to see if sticking with gas will be best, or switching to drug stores. I don't buy enough online to make that worthwhile.

MisterBill
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MisterBill » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:24 am

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:11 am
I saw the ad for new cards. I will need to look over my current spending patterns to see if sticking with gas will be best, or switching to drug stores. I don't buy enough online to make that worthwhile.
The thing about gas is that if you have the other 5% cards like Chase Freedom and Discover, you can get gas for at least 6 months of the year with them (Chase currently, Discover next quarter, I believe). So depending on your status with BofA, it could be worth giving up the extra 0.25% you'd get with the BofA card and get a totally different category, each month if necessary. And if you just get 3% (or 3.3%) with the BofA card, then you wouldn't be using the card those quarters that Chase and Discover did 5% gas, anyway.

I am looking forward to setting the 3/5.25% category to dining and travel on 2 of my cards. Not sure what I will do with #3.

MMLC3
Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:49 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MMLC3 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:38 pm

has this gone live? I still don't see the option to pick categories for the 3%...

deltaneutral83
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:25 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by deltaneutral83 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:52 pm

MMLC3 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:38 pm
has this gone live? I still don't see the option to pick categories for the 3%...
It's being rolled out in batches so some have and some have not. It's still pathetic on BofA's part that we are 3 days past launch and they can't get this in place. Chase runs circles around BofA in the credit card department.

User avatar
wildungar2000
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:41 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by wildungar2000 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:03 pm

Can anyone confirm if they have had Ebay work for them in the Online category? I'm about to make a large purchase for an auction I won and would like to get the 3% instead of 2% from my Fidelity card.

User avatar
FrugalInvestor
Posts: 5164
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:20 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by FrugalInvestor » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:25 pm

MMLC3 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:38 pm
has this gone live? I still don't see the option to pick categories for the 3%...
I called BofA yesterday and the rep said that although the announcement said choices would be available on the 14th the rollout is actually being phased in between the 14th and the 19th.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

worthit
Posts: 125
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:10 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by worthit » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:33 pm

I had the same response when I called yesterday. Also, the promotion would appear in the rewards page and all the categories will be visible to the account holders I am told.

MisterBill
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MisterBill » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:51 am

wildungar2000 wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:03 pm
Can anyone confirm if they have had Ebay work for them in the Online category? I'm about to make a large purchase for an auction I won and would like to get the 3% instead of 2% from my Fidelity card.
Saw on DOC that ebay did not qualify for online shopping.

MisterBill
Posts: 424
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by MisterBill » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:52 am

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:25 pm
I called BofA yesterday and the rep said that although the announcement said choices would be available on the 14th the rollout is actually being phased in between the 14th and the 19th.
Crazy thing is, I don't think anyone has reported having it go live other than those who had it available on the 14th.

This whole thing is being handled very poorly. Starting it in the middle of the month was already ridiculous. Not having it available for everyone on the same day is making a bad situation worse.

Housedoc
Posts: 425
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 4:25 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by Housedoc » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:53 am

When I use my BofA Mastercard app, it shows I am getting 3 pct on gas and have an option to change it.

User avatar
indexfundfan
Posts: 2595
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:21 am
Contact:

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by indexfundfan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:58 am

Mine is active today. I can change it either in the mobile app or online on the computer.
My signature has been deleted.

User avatar
FrugalInvestor
Posts: 5164
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:20 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by FrugalInvestor » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:33 am

indexfundfan wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:58 am
Mine is active today. I can change it either in the mobile app or online on the computer.
I was told that the option to change the category would show up under the "Rewards" tab after I navigate to the web page of the cash back credit card. Is this where you found it on the computer? I'm still not seeing an option to change the category this morning.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

pshonore
Posts: 6666
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:21 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by pshonore » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:49 am

Anyone know how tell (ahead of time) how a merchant is coded? I'd love to get 5.25% on my fuel oil delivery. Sounds like that is considered to be "gas"

atdharris
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:18 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by atdharris » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:29 am

It finally went live for me. I'll test online shopping as a category first, since I tend to spend more on that than gas each quarter. $2500 will go quickly though since this card is also used for groceries.

User avatar
indexfundfan
Posts: 2595
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:21 am
Contact:

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by indexfundfan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:42 am

FrugalInvestor wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:33 am
indexfundfan wrote:
Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:58 am
Mine is active today. I can change it either in the mobile app or online on the computer.
I was told that the option to change the category would show up under the "Rewards" tab after I navigate to the web page of the cash back credit card. Is this where you found it on the computer? I'm still not seeing an option to change the category this morning.
Yes, it's in the Rewards tab:

Image
My signature has been deleted.

scrabbler1
Posts: 2408
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:39 pm

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by scrabbler1 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:52 am

I am not seeing the option to change the Rewards categories. Maybe it is being rolled out on a staggered basis, so I will see it in another day or so. My CC statement closing date is the 20th, so it would be nice to be able to change the option by the time the next cycle begins.

bgf
Posts: 980
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:35 am

Re: "Bank Of America Cash Rewards Card Now Lets You Choose Your 3%(=5.25%) Category"

Post by bgf » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:53 am

i just signed in and was for the first time prompted to make the change. so, when you log into your credit card account, you'll know whether it is active or not. a big pop window will be there telling you.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"

Post Reply