Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

US Local Chapters, Wiki, and general Bogleheads community discussion, news, events, and announcements.
lostdog

Re: Post your Financial Milestone Announcements Here

Post by lostdog » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:21 pm

Wellfleet wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:30 pm
Made last car loan payment.

Between spouse and I, first time being car loan free since 2012 when we first bought our own cars. Hoping to pay cash for the next one now that we have 2 cars in good condition all paid off.

Now onto the student loans!
Grats! On your way to being debt free. Keep going.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:48 am

Moneta wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:38 pm
Lots of financial milestones for me since I got a "new" job back in January, almost a year ago. That job included a hefty pay bump of about $23K. As a result:

1) I was able to get my retirement account totals to twice my age (in thousands) for the first time ever -- $86,000 (I'm 43)

2) If you add in my taxable brokerage fund, I crossed the $100,000 mark for the first time ever

3) I got a raise in the summer, putting my salary at six figures for the first time ever

4) I maxed out my Roth IRA for the first time ever

5) I am now saving almost as much in ONE MONTH as I was able to save in a YEAR at my last job.

Next up, I'm hoping to get to a point where I can max out my 403(b) plan as well as the Roth, finish paying off my student loan, and start saving for a family vacation to someplace fun and interesting. :happy
Congratulations on the new job, raises and increased contributions to investing :D .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

mindgap

Post by mindgap » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:23 am

Reached my 5k emergency fund - yeah!

SUP3RMAN 131

Post by SUP3RMAN 131 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:51 pm

2018 is the first year that I was able to max out my IRA & 401(k) at age 26. To achieve this I needed to save 38% of my gross salary. Now the challenge will get harder with the additional $1,000 in space for 2019.

AtlasShrugged?

Post by AtlasShrugged? » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:33 am

Like the poster above, this was the first year I maxed out my 401K (regular and catch up) and Roth IRA (regular and catchup) - at age 52. I have a very long way to go, but feel very satisfied I was able to do this. My savings rate is roughly 22%, and I am trying like crazy to increase it.

Next steps
Maintain maxing out 401K and Roth
Start principle only payments on home (have 145K to go)
Start a taxable account at Fidelity - need to move my individual holdings there
Fund a CD ladder for an extended emergency fund (12 months)
“If you don't know, the thing to do is not to get scared, but to learn.”

mindgap

Post by mindgap » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:42 pm

Was able to get rid of all my CC debt before 2018 came to a close yesterday. :D

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:46 pm

Fantastic! 🎉
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

mindgap

Post by mindgap » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:48 pm

LadyGeek wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:46 pm
Fantastic! 🎉
Thank you!

Feels good to be free of this burden. Now wealth building can begin :)

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:11 pm

mindgap wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:42 pm
Call up Dave Ramsey and ask to do your debt free scream!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

mindgap

Post by mindgap » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:16 am

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:11 pm
mindgap wrote:
LOL thats a fun idea :) It wasn't that much of debt around $2k but it already felt like it was hard to pay it back. I can't imagine how people feel after they payed back their $50K in consumer debt. Crazy.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:37 pm

mindgap wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:16 am
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:11 pm
mindgap wrote:
LOL thats a fun idea :) It wasn't that much of debt around $2k but it already felt like it was hard to pay it back. I can't imagine how people feel after they payed back their $50K in consumer debt. Crazy.
One man’s molehill is another’s mountain. There is no feeling like being debt free, now you can save those payments for your next opportunity.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:29 pm

Milestone reached for us this week: We wired the final college tuition bill to the graduate school today. We have had two children go through undergraduate and graduate school degrees at four universities from the fall semester 2011 to this final spring semester 2019. 8 years of paying tuition between the children and all of the degrees!!!

At least it feels like a financial milestone to us because it was always a major goal of ours to fund our children's education as soon as the first pregnancy occurred! As a result, we saved from 1993 until this past year to finance all of it via UTMA accounts, 529 accounts, and cash flow from our salaries.

Although we still have 4 more months of rent and expenses to fund for this last child's final semester before graduation, that feels like peanuts compared to all the tuition paid since 2011.

Goal achieved: our children will have received their educations, and graduate with their degrees completely debt free. All tuition and expenses covered, as well as individual portfolios leftover for each child from all the savings and compounding effects from 1993 to 2019 (26 years). One child has been in the workforce since the Summer of 2017 after graduation, and the other will join the workforce come this June after graduation. We work in education and academia, so the goal was an important one for us to achieve.

Although this will be a quiet celebration for Mom & Dad tonight and probably not worthy of sharing outside of this thread, we plan to open a decent bottle of wine this evening and curl up in front of the fireplace during a 4-6" snow storm that is due to hit at 7 PM and reflect on the accomplishment. Maybe even a high five or fist bump will be shared between the two of us after the first glass...

"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

entropy2017

Post by entropy2017 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:38 pm

Congratulations CyclingDuo on the end of a 26-year long journey! This is very motivating as it is something we hope to accomplish for our own children. Cheers!

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:05 pm

CyclingDuo wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:29 pm
Milestone reached for us this week: We wired the final college tuition bill to the graduate school today. We have had two children go through undergraduate and graduate school degrees at four universities from the fall semester 2011 to this final spring semester 2019. 8 years of paying tuition between the children and all of the degrees!!!

At least it feels like a financial milestone to us because it was always a major goal of ours to fund our children's education as soon as the first pregnancy occurred! As a result, we saved from 1993 until this past year to finance all of it via UTMA accounts, 529 accounts, and cash flow from our salaries.

Although we still have 4 more months of rent and expenses to fund for this last child's final semester before graduation, that feels like peanuts compared to all the tuition paid since 2011.

Goal achieved: our children will have received their educations, and graduate with their degrees completely debt free. All tuition and expenses covered, as well as individual portfolios leftover for each child from all the savings and compounding effects from 1993 to 2019 (26 years). One child has been in the workforce since the Summer of 2017 after graduation, and the other will join the workforce come this June after graduation. We work in education and academia, so the goal was an important one for us to achieve.

Although this will be a quiet celebration for Mom & Dad tonight and probably not worthy of sharing outside of this thread, we plan to open a decent bottle of wine this evening and curl up in front of the fireplace during a 4-6" snow storm that is due to hit at 7 PM and reflect on the accomplishment. Maybe even a high five or fist bump will be shared between the two of us after the first glass...

We funded college educations for our four children without loans.

The last one through college felt like I was getting an enormous pay raise.

Congratulations :D .
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

student

Post by student » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:14 pm

CyclingDuo wrote:

Congratulations.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:26 pm

Congratulations CyclingDuo, for both the desire to do this for your children, and for seeing it through.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

ray.james

Post by ray.james » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:36 pm

CyclingDuo wrote:
Milestone reached for us this week:
That is one of the greatest gift to a child! Congratulations.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939

soulrider

Post by soulrider » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:59 pm

Maxed HSA for second year on a roll
Maxed 401K for first time
Maxed Backdoor Roth for both wife and I for the first time
Paid off one car; now one left to go
Bought a house
Quit my job that was not fulfilling me
hope 2019 is a great year for all of us!

Moneta

Post by Moneta » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:18 pm

I just paid off my student loans today! It's been almost 15 years, and I'm finally free!

And I'm going to max out my 2019 Roth IRA all in January, freeing up cash flow over the next 11 months!

dziuniek

Post by dziuniek » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:39 pm

Moneta wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:18 pm
I just paid off my student loans today! It's been almost 15 years, and I'm finally free!

And I'm going to max out my 2019 Roth IRA all in January, freeing up cash flow over the next 11 months!
Nice! We're 70% done w/ student loans here. 2 years to go!

Old_Dollar

Post by Old_Dollar » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:53 pm

Roth 2019 is already 50% funded. I should be able to complete it by March!
I am here solely to learn about investing.

Enganerd

Post by Enganerd » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:58 pm

2018 was the first year my wife and I have been able to put $100,000 + into our portfolios. Of course the large drop also allowed us to do our first TLH. Not the best luck for our year of highest taxable investing but hopefully it will still lead to some nice gains in the future decades.

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:17 am

CyclingDuo wrote:

Congrats, it's a good feeling to get them all through w/o debt. Bonus if they appreciate it, which I'm sure they will once they get into the "real" world and start supporting themselves and talking to their co-workers who are still saddled with SL debt.

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:33 am

Enganerd wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:58 pm
2018 was the first year my wife and I have been able to put $100,000 + into our portfolios. Of course the large drop also allowed us to do our first TLH. Not the best luck for our year of highest taxable investing but hopefully it will still lead to some nice gains in the future decades.
That's my goal for this year. Not quite sure we can make it but it will be close.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:24 am

Moneta wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:18 pm

Congratulations on paying off the student debt :D , and filling your IRA :) .

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:51 am

MSUBobcat wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:17 am
Congrats, it's a good feeling to get them all through w/o debt. Bonus if they appreciate it, which I'm sure they will once they get into the "real" world and start supporting themselves and talking to their co-workers who are still saddled with SL debt.
Fortunately, they are very appreciative. The one currently finishing up school is the most frugal person we've ever met to boot. The other one already in the work force is socking away in the appropriate Vanguard Target Fund through the 401k and contributing to an IRA as well. Beyond the retirement contributions, this child has a bit of work to do to get beyond the living paycheck to paycheck syndrome while enjoying life being young and single in the big city, but cost of living in San Francisco is what it is. The job performance bonus pay and promotions are just starting to ramp up and improve that situation.

travellight

Post by travellight » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:31 am

Enganerd wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:58 pm
I finally did TLH for the first time as well! I have glancingly read about it here for years but didn’t really investigate until December 2018.

I think I also wandered past my financial goal of 8 figure net worth if I add in current value of pension (pays over 200k per year). I am pleased considering I did it solo as a single mother surviving divorce (costly with paying child support) and funding college at over 70k per year currently out of annual salary. I have a high salary but it was my real estate investments that contributed most heavily.

MrBobcat

Post by MrBobcat » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:24 pm

CyclingDuo wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:51 am
MSUBobcat wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:17 am
Fortunately, they are very appreciative. The one currently finishing up school is the most frugal person we've ever met to boot. The other one already in the work force is socking away in the appropriate Vanguard Target Fund through the 401k and contributing to an IRA as well. Beyond the retirement contributions, this child has a bit of work to do to get beyond the living paycheck to paycheck syndrome while enjoying life being young and single in the big city, but cost of living in San Francisco is what it is. The job performance bonus pay and promotions are just starting to ramp up and improve that situation.
Good, sounds like they are off to a great start. All 3 of our kids were very appreciative of getting out of school debt free, makes you feel like you did something right as a parent.

I don't know how young people manage to get ahead living in high cost areas like San Francisco, my oldest lives in Seattle, ugh, I couldn't afford to live there without living paycheck to paycheck. The younger two managed to get very good jobs in low cost areas and are much better off financially.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:42 pm

MSUBobcat wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:24 pm

Good, sounds like they are off to a great start. All 3 of our kids were very appreciative of getting out of school debt free, makes you feel like you did something right as a parent.

I don't know how young people manage to get ahead living in high cost areas like San Francisco, my oldest lives in Seattle, ugh, I couldn't afford to live there without living paycheck to paycheck. The younger two managed to get very good jobs in low cost areas and are much better off financially.
Sounds like you did a great service to your kids as well. Kudos!!

rcjchicity

Post by rcjchicity » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:05 pm

After 15 years of contributions, this year's Roth (technically backdoor) contribution finally pushed me over the $100k mark for that account for the first time. (Overall retirement funds are nearer to $600k).

Wish we could contribute more to Roth accounts!

legio XX

Post by legio XX » Sat Jan 19, 2019 6:57 pm

DocSleepy72 wrote:
Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:04 pm
My wife and I have accumulated enough wealth that I felt mostly comfortable signing up for a monthly membership at the local car wash today (basic carwash only). :D
OK, this is modest enough that I was inspired to think over 2018. Will probably never see two commas - my number is half that if only because I might actually see it - but in 2018 I was secure enough to make more donations than I ever made before. Most were political so I can't specify, but the checks to food pantries and arts organizations also increased and multiplied. Irrational exuberance? Maybe, but something made me feel like I could spare a few bucks. Small change overall, but more than 100% increase from earlier years.

Milestone.

JimmyD

Post by JimmyD » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:52 am

Just hit $500K in net worth at age 36.

My wife’s gargantuan student loan is what’s holding us back, though we’re on track to have it 100% forgiven, tax-free, in four more years. I’m hopeful that’ll put us well over the $1MM mark before age 41.

pharmermummles

Post by pharmermummles » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:59 am

Just turned 28, and just updated my financial spreadsheet as I do at the end of each month. For the first time ever (as an adult) I have a positive net worth. Still have a long way to go with the mortgage and student loans, but my retirement saving has been aggressive. Here's to hoping it stays that way for good. :beer

Rus In Urbe

Post by Rus In Urbe » Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:26 am

:sharebeer :sharebeer :sharebeer :sharebeer :sharebeer :sharebeer
WOOO-HOOOO to All the Bogleheads posting Milestones.

Milestones are important (although, like goalposts, although once they are reached, they get moved a bit!---a subject for another thread).

Twenty years ago, reading a financial planning book, I decided to write myself a check for the inconceivable amount of a million dollars. At the time, that seemed like the amount of money I would need to live a carefree life. I looked at it, tore it up and wrote a larger check, deciding that I should think bigger. Dare more. I put that check away in a planning notebook.

Along with my other (frankly more important) life goals, in terms of my financial life, I continued to: Earn, save, invest, repeat.
It really helped when, along the way, I found a wonderful SO who is also frugal.

Then last year, I came upon that old check----and, yep, we had just hit it, right on the nose. I was astounded!

Our milestones in the past two years:
1. We made our big number. Eureka!
2. We contributed 50K to our Vanguard Donor Advised Fund.
3. I'm retiring in December.

I am so grateful to all of my "teachers"----chief among them, John Bogle.
And I am so grateful to all the Bogleheads I read for years before finally signing up on the forum to participate.

Congrats to all on the wonderful milestones. I've so enjoyed reading this thread and (virtually) celebrating everyone's successes. :sharebeer
I'd like to live as a poor man with lots of money. ~Pablo Picasso

Darth Xanadu

Post by Darth Xanadu » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:41 am

GuySmiley wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:56 am
I achieved a very minor milestone last night -- I created a spreadsheet and figured out my AA across 7 accounts including equity/bond and US/intl equities. Now that I know it, I can work toward adjustments and proper tax-efficient placement, which I plan to do after the new year. :sharebeer
While it may seem very minor, this is a critical step / milestone indeed! :beer
"A courageous teacher, failure is."

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:58 am

crossroad101 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:37 am
Thanks to the advice and inputs from BH members funded VG 3 fund in taxable middle of this year (the blip).

Mostly still single stock and trying to wind down for home purchase. Was hoping to post 400k milestone, perhaps next year.

Completed grad school in 2011 and worth -20k or so to begin with.
How do you account for that downward spike below $350K if I may ask? And the immediate recovery?

falconsfan

Post by falconsfan » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:00 pm

Wife and I are retiring Friday the 15th! Me after 37 years with the same company. At 60 and 58 we plan to travel and enjoy our grandchildren. No debt for the last 10 years. You can do it............

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:20 pm

Congrats! Considering posting in the Roll Call for the Retirement Class of 2019! and join the party. 🎉
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:20 pm

falconsfan wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:00 pm
Wife and I are retiring Friday the 15th! Me after 37 years with the same company. At 60 and 58 we plan to travel and enjoy our grandchildren. No debt for the last 10 years. You can do it............
Congratulations!

Cheers

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:11 pm

falconsfan wrote:
Congratulations on your retirement :) .

Investing.Newbie

Post by Investing.Newbie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:22 pm

falconsfan wrote:
Well done sir :sharebeer enjoy your well deserved retirement :beer

patrick

Post by patrick » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:01 am

Finally joined the 2 comma club ... measured in Euros :happy

crossroad101

Post by crossroad101 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:47 am

Nicolas wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:58 am
crossroad101 wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:37 am
Thanks to the advice and inputs from BH members funded VG 3 fund in taxable middle of this year (the blip).

Mostly still single stock and trying to wind down for home purchase. Was hoping to post 400k milestone, perhaps next year.

Completed grad school in 2011 and worth -20k or so to begin with.
How do you account for that downward spike below $350K if I may ask? And the immediate recovery?
Apologies for my late notice.

Indeed the spike was when I sold stock to open 3 fund with VG.

It has been rather bumpy ever since. Late last week I sold some more stock as we are getting ready for house down payment this week. Hence additional spikes in the end.

beyou

Post by beyou » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:44 pm

So many at hand and near.

Last tuition paid for eldest, getting his 2nd degree from an Ivy. Last for younger child coming this year too.

401k hit 500k.
Overall invesment assets nearing a significant milestone this year...

Lots to be happy about, as I contemplate FIRE.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:11 am

beyou wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:44 pm

Last tuition paid for eldest, getting his 2nd degree from an Ivy. Last for younger child coming this year too.

401k hit 500k.

Congratulations on the last tuition payments :) .

I remember the end of college expenses so well, it felt as if I had received an enormous pay raise :D .

4nursebee

Post by 4nursebee » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:44 am

A few months ago we paid off a lot of debt: Heloc, car, tractor. Now we are saving >50% of take home pay to build large (1-2yrs expenses) emergency fund to make the p$ychologial $tre$$ of retirement easier for one of us.

We have also come around a bit on the idea of delaying SS, something that we were not planning on. It is interesting that the older we get the more we accept the wisdom of elders on BH.
4nursebee

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:45 pm

beyou wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:44 pm

401k hit 500k.

Congrats! Here's to the eldest getting employment post this semester.

JTColton

Post by JTColton » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:39 am

Not mine per se, but after wasting 17 earning years not saving for retirement Ive been trying to mentor the guys that work for me to save for the future. Not easy to convince young 20-somethings to not spend but got 3 of them signed up for Vanguard Roth IRAs and they maxed contributions into Target Date funds.

One look at a 40 year CAGR calculator was all it took :beer

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:54 am

Kudos for your efforts. :beer

You can also show them this wiki page: Importance of saving early

ze233

Post by ze233 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:55 pm

My wife and I just hit 2 commas for our combined investments + cash assets as of close of business yesterday. We had hit 2 commas in networth a couple of years ago, but that included our home equity.

However the 2 commas in just investments and cash has been a goal of mine to reach before turning 40 since I graduated college and started working.
I'm happy to say we reached it a few months before I turn 36.

I can't tell anyone else except my wife, but I'm glad to be able to share it with the Boglehead community.
Thanks for everyone for all the excellent advice and inspiration and motivation to stay the course and make this goal a reality. :beer

Now I suppose I need to figure out the next age goal, and target number.