Large SUV

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
skinhealer

Large SUV

Post by skinhealer » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:35 pm

Looking to replace my Honda Odyssey Touring a 2012 model have about 130K which is not much at all for a honda but started having engine problems.

So looking to replace it in a few months.

Wanted any good recommendations, was looking at the Hyundai Palisade I know it hasn't been out yet but looking online seems very good.
Trying to stay in the same price range as the Honda Odyssey.

Others were Honda Pilot, Subaru ascent, Toyota high lander.

Any recommendations from you all?

samsdad

Re: Large SUV

Post by samsdad » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:39 pm

No Toyota Sienna?

I’d stay away from another Honda if you’re having engine issues. Someone else was having engine issues as well in their low-mileage Honda as discussed in a long-running :P thread around here. Oil in the gas or something like that.

I’ll be buying an awd Sienna in the next few years due to 13-month-old twins that have rudely interrupted my plans for a Lamborghini. I was looking at Odysseys but no awd (I’m in Colorado and refuse to drive anything else) and then I read that they were having transmission issues in the newest model. I had the pleasure of replacing my transmission and radiator in my 62k mile 2014 Volvo a few months ago, so I guess it can happen to any make.

needadvise1

Post by needadvise1 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:18 am

Keep in mind A SUV generally generally make a poor replacement or a Minivan. If you bought the minivan for a reason, carefully look at the functionality you need. If looking cool, fun to drive, and towing are not on the list, the minivan is far more practical by almost all accounts than today's "3 row" SUVs.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:42 am

samsdad wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:39 pm

I’d stay away from another Honda if you’re having engine issues. Someone else was having engine issues as well in their low-mileage Honda as discussed in a long-running :P thread around here. Oil in the gas or something like that.
Honda Pilots are fine, it's the CRV that has issues.

OP, Toyota Highlanders are a good choice if a SUV is wanted.

Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:32 pm

I went from the Odyssey to the Pilot many years ago. I was / have been happy with both of them. The minivan was great for carrying lots of people, but when we did not have as many living at home, we switched to the Pilot.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:41 pm

If towing capacity is a concern, the Pilot is out. I read that it can only tow 1,500. Most minivans can tow between 3,000 to 3,500 lbs. I'm eyeballing the Mercedes Benz Metris since I need a minivan and decent towing. The Metris can tow 5,000 lbs. I would rather have an SUV, but I drive our elderly relatives to their appointments and it is hard for them to get in and out of SUV's, especially after surgery. Our old dog had a hard time with it, too.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:16 pm

goodlifer wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:41 pm
If towing capacity is a concern, the Pilot is out. I read that it can only tow 1,500. Most minivans can tow between 3,000 to 3,500 lbs. I'm eyeballing the Mercedes Benz Metris since I need a minivan and decent towing. The Metris can tow 5,000 lbs. I would rather have an SUV, but I drive our elderly relatives to their appointments and it is hard for them to get in and out of SUV's, especially after surgery. Our old dog had a hard time with it, too.
Honda (http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/inform ... d^YF5H1KEW) thinks the pilot is good for 3500 to 5000lbs. :). SUV type vehicles step in height can vary significantly. There are a lot where you sort of just step in and others where you have a noticeable step up, and some that are so bad they need to give you a step to get into the car. You sort of having look at each case.

You can make arguements for the Sante Fe/Palisade/Sante Fe XL, pilot, highlander, Ascent, Atlas and a bunch of others depending on your specific requirements.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:30 pm

randomguy wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:16 pm
goodlifer wrote:
Honda (http://owners.honda.com/vehicles/inform ... d^YF5H1KEW) thinks the pilot is good for 3500 to 5000lbs. :). SUV type vehicles step in height can vary significantly. There are a lot where you sort of just step in and others where you have a noticeable step up, and some that are so bad they need to give you a step to get into the car. You sort of having look at each case.

You can make arguements for the Sante Fe/Palisade/Sante Fe XL, pilot, highlander, Ascent, Atlas and a bunch of others depending on your specific requirements.
That's interesting. When I googled Honda Pilot towing capacity, the first thing to pop up said 1,500 lbs.

queso

Post by queso » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:33 pm

goodlifer wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:30 pm
randomguy wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:16 pm
goodlifer wrote:

That's interesting. When I googled Honda Pilot towing capacity, the first thing to pop up said 1,500 lbs.
I think the 2wd is 3500 (same as the Odyssey) and the 4wd is 5000. I'm not positive about the new ones since mine is so old (2006 - rated at 5000), but I tow a 3000lb motorcycle trailer with mine all the time and have no problems.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:48 pm

Pilot and Highlander are both good and similar. Whatever you can get a better deal on or like more.

Ed_Sandwich

Post by Ed_Sandwich » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:56 pm

I'd stick with a van of some kind if you're hauling people. We compared the Pilot and Odyssey and the Odyssey won by a lot (same generation as yours).

Odyssey
Much cheaper for same/more features
sliding doors (amazing)
3 rows, very comfortable.
more storage
no 4x4 (don't need it, live in city)
Looks dumber (don't care)

Pilot
4x4 (don't need)
3 rows but feels much smaller/narrower.
Looks cooler (don't care)

To be honest, as long as we have kids under age 16 we will probably have a van. I can't picture going back to anything else at this point, it has really spoiled us.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:01 pm

A minivan is more practical, but if you can't get past the image, the Mazda CX-9 is arguably the best-driving, best-looking, non-luxury brand three-row SUV. Rated to tow 3500 lbs.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:16 pm

You asked for a "large SUV."

I am driving my second Chevy Suburban. Bought my first Suburban on Valentines Day 2000 8-) and drove it 10 years/150,000 miles. Bought my second Suburban on Mother's Day 2010 - and still driving it everywhere. It drives like a cloud, smooth as butter. Pack anything and everything everywhere. Kids love it. Dogs love it. Plus other drivers respect me :D

OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:19 pm

If you can swing one there is nothing better than a Toyota Landcruiser...they are BULLET PROOF...buy a used one with 125K on it...its fine...if not the Seqouia is a great truck as well. We have gotten over 300,000 miles on our LandCruisers with no issues...gas mileage is not good but over all cost to run is very solid. Your family will never been safer...best of luck to you!

stimulacra

Post by stimulacra » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:21 pm

If the Honda Pilot is too big, or you do not need the feature of a 3rd row seats, the upcoming Honda Passport might be right-sized for you. It's virtually identical to the Pilot (same platform, width and wheelbase) but is six inches shorter on the rear overhang and some additional ground clearance and off-road bits.

Looks less like a minivan-ized 3-row crossover and more like an old-school SUV in profile with most of the benefits of a crossover.

Typ997S

Post by Typ997S » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:27 pm

Have a look at the Buick Enclave/Chevrolet Traverse twins. They both a feature a third row that an adult can actually sit in, which isn't the case for most uni-body three row SUVs. The current build quality of GM products might surprise you. After wearing out two Odysseys, and with mostly grown kids, our money went to a new Enclave in March 2018. So far we have been very pleased with it. :beer

mw1739

Post by mw1739 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:55 pm

Typ997S wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:27 pm
Have a look at the Buick Enclave/Chevrolet Traverse twins. They both a feature a third row that an adult can actually sit in, which isn't the case for most uni-body three row SUVs. The current build quality of GM products might surprise you. After wearing out two Odysseys, and with mostly grown kids, our money went to a new Enclave in March 2018. So far we have been very pleased with it. :beer
+1. My wife preferred the Traverse, but I agree it’s the most usable 3rd row in the class. We shall see on the reliability.

phxjcc

Post by phxjcc » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:02 pm

Suburban will give years of service. Recommend that you check Hertz for their slightly used ones. Yes you will hear horror stories about buying rentals, but most subs that are rented were for corporate gigs or family vacation so.

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:05 pm

Miriam2 wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:16 pm
You asked for a "large SUV."

I am driving my second Chevy Suburban. Bought my first Suburban on Valentines Day 2000 8-) and drove it 10 years/150,000 miles. Bought my second Suburban on Mother's Day 2010 - and still driving it everywhere. It drives like a cloud, smooth as butter. Pack anything and everything everywhere. Kids love it. Dogs love it. Plus other drivers respect me :D
Bought a 1989 Suburban in 1991, drove it for years, now my brother still drives it daily. I think the new ones are unibody, the 1989 was bolt on frame.The dashboard actually had some metal like the pickups of those years.My sister has two Suburbans, a 1999 and a 2014, loves them. They are "hybrids", they can use either regular or premium gas :happy

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:25 am

OldBallCoach wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:19 pm
If you can swing one there is nothing better than a Toyota Landcruiser...they are BULLET PROOF...buy a used one with 125K on it...its fine...if not the Seqouia is a great truck as well.
The Sequoia is ANCIENT. It's had almost no updates over the 12-year run of the current model, and the fuel economy is beyond abysmal (~14mpg combined). Reliable yes, but that's the only thing it has going for it, and there's no way I'd recommend one. Landcruiser is indeed a beast and basically indestructible--in their primary market of the middle east, "rolled down a sand dune" is a FAR more common reason for them to end their service than any kind of mechanical failure--but pretty small on the inside for such a large SUV. If it's big enough for your needs though, you will die before it does.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:28 am

4nwestsaylng wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:05 pm
Bought a 1989 Suburban in 1991, drove it for years, now my brother still drives it daily. I think the new ones are unibody, the 1989 was bolt on frame.The dashboard actually had some metal like the pickups of those years.My sister has two Suburbans, a 1999 and a 2014, loves them. They are "hybrids", they can use either regular or premium gas :happy
The Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon have always been (and I suspect always will be) body-on-frame. The Chevy Traverse/Buick Enclave is the closest thing to a unibody Tahoe that's available.

surveyor

Post by surveyor » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:56 am

Kids are 10 and 11. 2008 Odyssey is on its last legs. I'm looking at the Pilot and the CX-9. Haven't driven either yet but the CX-9 is favored right now. I've read the storage in the Pilot is larger, but I'll typically have the third row down anyways leaving plenty of storage.

OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:48 pm

lazydavid wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:25 am
OldBallCoach wrote:
If you can swing one there is nothing better than a Toyota Landcruiser...they are BULLET PROOF...buy a used one with 125K on it...its fine...if not the Seqouia is a great truck as well.
The Sequoia is ANCIENT. It's had almost no updates over the 12-year run of the current model, and the fuel economy is beyond abysmal (~14mpg combined). Reliable yes, but that's the only thing it has going for it, and there's no way I'd recommend one. Landcruiser is indeed a beast and basically indestructible--in their primary market of the middle east, "rolled down a sand dune" is a FAR more common reason for them to end their service than any kind of mechanical failure--but pretty small on the inside for such a large SUV. If it's big enough for your needs though, you will die before it does.
I agree the Sequoia is ancient..but as far as running for a LONG time, reliable, safe, cheap to repair and decent resale I will take one over most large SUVs any day of the week and twice on Sunday...and yep..gas mileage stinks, about the same as a Ford, Chevy or other tank....DD has a Sequoia and she drives my 4 grandkids around in it and she gets about 16 MPG...hers only has 265K on it so she has a ways to go before needed a new one...much like my Land Cruisers to me cost to own is MUCH more than gas mileage. If you have to drive in bad weather I will take the old Toyota over any new Honda..old style and old truck but they sure do provide a lot of miles...I agree on the Middle east rolls...thats funny...I just bought a new LC and I sold my old 300K plus unit in a small bidding war...btw my new LC is getting almost 17 MPG...LOL...UP from the 14 I got on old one...This one I hope I will out live...it would be my fourth..

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:04 pm

When I hear "large SUV" I think Suburban, Yukon XL, Expedition EL, Sequoia, Armada.

We rented a 2018 Suburban this past summer for an extended family trip. With the new variable cylinder technology we got 24 mpg with interstate driving. They ride nice. Space for people and things. Although the back storage isn't as big as some of the older versions.

$60k will probably get you into a base model. $70k+ for nicer models. The new Exepditions are sharp but also very expensive.

Getting a 2-3 year old model with 40k miles would save you a bunch in depreciation, but most seem to keep their Suburbans/Yukons for a lot of miles.

We have a 7 passenger Ford Flex. The space behind the 3rd seat is smaller than a Suburban. Probably more in that Medium Large category with Highlander, Pilot, Explorer and minivans. People and some stuff or fewer people and more stuff. Not both a lot of people and a lot of stuff.
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:09 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:04 pm
When I hear "large SUV" I think Suburban, Yukon XL, Expedition EL, Sequoia, Armada.

We rented a 2018 Suburban this past summer for an extended family trip. With the new variable cylinder technology we got 24 mpg with interstate driving. They ride nice. Space for people and things. Although the back storage isn't as big as some of the older versions.

$60k will probably get you into a base model. $70k+ for nicer models. The new Exepditions are sharp but also very expensive.

Getting a 2-3 year old model with 40k miles would save you a bunch in depreciation, but most seem to keep their Suburbans/Yukons for a lot of miles.

We have a 7 passenger Ford Flex. The space behind the 3rd seat is smaller than a Suburban. Probably more in that Medium Large category with Highlander, Pilot, Explorer and minivans. People and some stuff or fewer people and more stuff. Not both a lot of people and a lot of stuff.
Family is priceless cargo, worth much more than gas mileage. On a trip, your last defense on the road is what you are driving in. This is where the large SUV shines over any minivan. People are so focused on repair bills and mileage that sometimes they lose sight of this. I have seen some minivan accidents on the freeway, there is just not the same level of structural integrity that you get in a Suburban,Tahoe, Sequoia,Armada. When a DUI driver is coming at you it does matter what your family is riding in.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:13 pm

4nwestsaylng wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:09 pm

Family is priceless cargo, worth much more than gas mileage. On a trip, your last defense on the road is what you are driving in. This is where the large SUV shines over any minivan. People are so focused on repair bills and mileage that sometimes they lose sight of this. I have seen some minivan accidents on the freeway, there is just not the same level of structural integrity that you get in a Suburban,Tahoe, Sequoia,Armada. When a DUI driver is coming at you it does matter what your family is riding in.
I understand what you are saying. A $40k minivan might be more within reach than an $80k Suburban (for many).

If your logic held, then you would be driving a Kenworth tractor with the family in the sleeper cab. A Suburban is no match for a nice Kenworth or a full sized bus. Hard to plan life around the possibility of tragic events happening.
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

dsmclone

Post by dsmclone » Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:33 pm

surveyor wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:56 am
Kids are 10 and 11. 2008 Odyssey is on its last legs. I'm looking at the Pilot and the CX-9. Haven't driven either yet but the CX-9 is favored right now. I've read the storage in the Pilot is larger, but I'll typically have the third row down anyways leaving plenty of storage.
We have friends with a Pilot Elite and have done a lot road trips with them. We also looked at a CX-9. Even though both are large SUV's, they are very different. The CX-9 is sportier driving and looking. I really like the cockpit of the CX-9 and how it completely surrounds you. The Pilot is more like a traditional SUV where you feel like you're sitting up high and has a TON of space, especially with the captain chairs in the Elite. In my eyes, both are excellent, it really just comes down to what you like.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:02 pm

bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:13 pm
4nwestsaylng wrote:

I understand what you are saying. A $40k minivan might be more within reach than an $80k Suburban (for many).

If your logic held, then you would be driving a Kenworth tractor with the family in the sleeper cab. A Suburban is no match for a nice Kenworth or a full sized bus. Hard to plan life around the possibility of tragic events happening.
Yes, you can be killed in anything. Think of those poor children killed on a bus in Florida just last week on their way to Disney World when a semi truck and Toyota Camry crossed the freeway and hit them head on. So there's no need to make someone feel bad because they can't afford to drive their family around in an $80,000 SUV.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:06 pm

Rupert wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:02 pm
bloom2708 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 2:13 pm
4nwestsaylng wrote:

Yes, you can be killed in anything. Think of those poor children killed on a bus in Florida just last week on their way to Disney World when a semi truck and Toyota Camry crossed the freeway and hit them head on. So there's no need to make someone feel bad because they can't afford to drive their family around in an $80,000 SUV.
Oh my gosh, we drive our kids around in a VW jetta. In fact, most of their transportation is via their feet or sitting in a bike trailer (pulled by yours truly). Child abuse?

kclark

Post by kclark » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:30 pm

What's making you jump from a minivan to a SUV? most tend to get hooked on the usability of a van and find out an SUVv isn't quite the same.
If your minivan needs still are the same then I would keep the comparison leve the same as with your Honda which leaves the Toyota Sienna and the Chrysler Pacifica. Not sure what an SUV has over these other than towing capacity because these vans come fully equipped. Gas mileage will be better, egress/ingess will be worlds easier in a van, they are easier to maneuver and park, and a vans HIDDEN storage capacity is often over looked. I have yet to see an SUV top a fully loaded AWD Sienna, unless you're looking to have more speed and power to have on tap. I just think some of these higher priced SUV's aren't worth what you're paying. And if you have $40-45K to spend, then you'll be getting "the top of the line" van which is what you WONT get with an SUV.

bubbadog

Post by bubbadog » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:31 pm

surveyor wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:56 am
We have a 2016 CX-9 (new body style). We purchased it in the summer of 2016, right after they came out.

It functions as our road trip vehicle and my wife's daily driver. My wife loves it. IMHO, it is the best looking SUV on the road.

It is slightly smaller on the inside versus the Pilot but it is still plenty big enough for a family of four.

Good luck with your decision

02nz

Post by 02nz » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:37 pm

4nwestsaylng wrote:
The safety of a vehicle is not measured in tons. Unibody vehicles (like minivans) generally hold up better in crashes than body-on-frame vehicles like pickups and the full-size SUVs you name. And the vastly superior handling and lower center-of-gravity of a Odyssey compared to a Suburban make it less likely to get into an accident in the first place.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:22 pm

02nz wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:37 pm
4nwestsaylng wrote:
The safety of a vehicle is not measured in tons. Unibody vehicles (like minivans) generally hold up better in crashes than body-on-frame vehicles like pickups and the full-size SUVs you name. And the vastly superior handling and lower center-of-gravity of a Odyssey compared to a Suburban make it less likely to get into an accident in the first place.
2014 IIHS death rates
Honda Odyssey 8
Suburban XL 1500 4wd 39
Honda Civic 39
Jetta 26

So that big ass Suburban is 5x as deadly as a Odyssey and about as safe as a Civic. The Jetta is safer than the suburban:) And yes that is a bit of an abuse of the IIHS.org dataset but the general idea of bigger being safer doesn't stand up to anytype of scrutiny. Avoiding miniCars is a great idea but after that the relationship between size and death breaks down a bit particullary when comparing large cars to extra large ones. And note being bigger doesn't really help in single car accidents or roll overs. In fact it probably hurts for most of them.

OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:58 am

randomguy wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:22 pm
02nz wrote:
4nwestsaylng wrote:
2014 IIHS death rates
Honda Odyssey 8
Suburban XL 1500 4wd 39
Honda Civic 39
Jetta 26

So that big ass Suburban is 5x as deadly as a Odyssey and about as safe as a Civic. The Jetta is safer than the suburban:) And yes that is a bit of an abuse of the IIHS.org dataset but the general idea of bigger being safer doesn't stand up to anytype of scrutiny. Avoiding miniCars is a great idea but after that the relationship between size and death breaks down a bit particullary when comparing large cars to extra large ones. And note being bigger doesn't really help in single car accidents or roll overs. In fact it probably hurts for most of them.
So you are saying in a crash I am just as safe in a Honda civic as a Suburban? Well color me as wary of that advice, I will still take Suburban..I see 200 pound guys get hit on the field by 300 pound guys and generally speaking the 300 pound guy wins...but maybe cars are different. Stats can be funny at times too..or so I am told...

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:02 am

samsdad wrote:

The gas-in-the oil thread you reference is a very unique situation involving the 1.5 liter turbo eninge used in some Honda CR*Vs and some Honda Civics. The rest of the Honda engines are fine. You advice to avoid all Hondas because of this is not sound.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:55 am

OldBallCoach wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:58 am
randomguy wrote:
02nz wrote:
4nwestsaylng wrote:
2014 IIHS death rates
Honda Odyssey 8
Suburban XL 1500 4wd 39
Honda Civic 39
Jetta 26

So you are saying in a crash I am just as safe in a Honda civic as a Suburban? Well color me as wary of that advice, I will still take Suburban..I see 200 pound guys get hit on the field by 300 pound guys and generally speaking the 300 pound guy wins...but maybe cars are different. Stats can be funny at times too..or so I am told...
That's completely irrelevant. You can twist it however you want, you, and whoever is with you, are equally likely to die while being transported in a Suburban as you are in a civic. Buying a larger and heavier car thinking it is "safer" is fool's gold.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:04 am

OldBallCoach wrote:
No, in a crash between the two of course anyone would rather be in a Suburban. But most crashes aren't anything like football. And the Suburban has other safety liabilities (poor handling, prone to rollovers) that you seem unaware of. Part of the reason big SUVs have such high death rates is that many drivers have a false sense of safety or even invincibility.

The IIHS hasn't tested the Suburban but the NHTSA has. Check out their detailed reports - on almost every measurement of injury, the Odyssey does way, way better than the Suburban.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:38 am

OldBallCoach wrote:

Continue the analogy.Would you rather be the 200lb of muscle guy wearing football pads and a helmet or the 300lb fat guy in shorts and a t-shirt when the 2 of your are running straight at each other? Who lives longer the 300lb guy with something like a 3x heart disease and cancer risk or the 160 guy who isn't lugging around an extra 140lbs of strain?

Yes your odds of dying are the same in those cars. You do better in certain collisions in the suburban. If you are in a head on collision with a civic, you are probably better in the suburban. But that is a fraction of crashes. If you are taking a corner 10mph too fast, your odds of survival are much better in the civic. It corners and avoids the crash while the SUV rolls over. When you hit a bridge all that extra mass of the suv is just more energy to dissipate. When you look at all crashes (i.e. do you know if you are going to be in a head on crash or if you are going to lose control and hit a ditch?), it just so happens that the civic and suburban line up.

Mass is important but it is only one of a dozen factors (safety cage or lack of:), stability, airbags, handling, braking, collision avoidance, headlights...) that determine how safe a car is.

OldBallCoach

Post by OldBallCoach » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:38 pm

randomguy wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:38 am
OldBallCoach wrote:

Continue the analogy.Would you rather be the 200lb of muscle guy wearing football pads and a helmet or the 300lb fat guy in shorts and a t-shirt when the 2 of your are running straight at each other? Who lives longer the 300lb guy with something like a 3x heart disease and cancer risk or the 160 guy who isn't lugging around an extra 140lbs of strain?

Yes your odds of dying are the same in those cars. You do better in certain collisions in the suburban. If you are in a head on collision with a civic, you are probably better in the suburban. But that is a fraction of crashes. If you are taking a corner 10mph too fast, your odds of survival are much better in the civic. It corners and avoids the crash while the SUV rolls over. When you hit a bridge all that extra mass of the suv is just more energy to dissipate. When you look at all crashes (i.e. do you know if you are going to be in a head on crash or if you are going to lose control and hit a ditch?), it just so happens that the civic and suburban line up.

Mass is important but it is only one of a dozen factors (safety cage or lack of:), stability, airbags, handling, braking, collision avoidance, headlights...) that determine how safe a car is.
I drive a LandCruiser...thats all I know...LOL...as to who lives longer thats a whole different deal..cheers...I will stick with my clunky big old Toyota and hope for the best...

samsdad

Post by samsdad » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:53 pm

munemaker wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:02 am
samsdad wrote:

The gas-in-the oil thread you reference is a very unique situation involving the 1.5 liter turbo eninge used in some Honda CR*Vs and some Honda Civics. The rest of the Honda engines are fine. You advice to avoid all Hondas because of this is not sound.
I stand corrected. :sharebeer

4nwestsaylng

Post by 4nwestsaylng » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:37 pm

02nz wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:04 am
OldBallCoach wrote:
No, in a crash between the two of course anyone would rather be in a Suburban. But most crashes aren't anything like football. And the Suburban has other safety liabilities (poor handling, prone to rollovers) that you seem unaware of. Part of the reason big SUVs have such high death rates is that many drivers have a false sense of safety or even invincibility.

The IIHS hasn't tested the Suburban but the NHTSA has. Check out their detailed reports - on almost every measurement of injury, the Odyssey does way, way better than the Suburban.
The issue is complicated, the Odyssey has side curtain air bags, definitely a plus, I don't know if the new Subs or Expeditions have that. Rollovers in the large SUV may be worse, but they are safer in rear collisions in terms of where the rear seat is located compared to third row minivans.I have not found a Suburban to be poor handling unless you are trying to drive it like a sports car, same for most rollovers, it is drivers who oversteer.

Certainly an individual choice. The type of driver may be a factor for sure. I guess I am a minivan cautious driver in a Suburban. If I were going to be hit by some crazy DUI driver in a pickup, I would prefer to be in a Suburban or Expedition. But as they say -"your mileage may vary".....

BeTheMatch

Post by BeTheMatch » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:52 pm

Toyota of whatever size you need - Highlander, 4Runner or Sequoia.

Don't buy a Chevy unless you're made of money and enjoy spending your life at the mechanic's.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:13 pm

BeTheMatch wrote: Toyota of whatever size you need - Highlander, 4Runner or Sequoia.
Don't buy a Chevy unless you're made of money and enjoy spending your life at the mechanic's.
May be true of some Chevy models, but my Suburbans (2 Suburbans 18 years) have been relatively easy maintenance, few real problems. And I have used the same Service Advisor at the same Chevy dealer for all those 18 years. I know I'm lucky with my dealership, but it can happen :happy

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:22 pm

4nwestsaylng wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:37 pm

The issue is complicated, the Odyssey has side curtain air bags, definitely a plus, I don't know if the new Subs or Expeditions have that. Rollovers in the large SUV may be worse, but they are safer in rear collisions in terms of where the rear seat is located compared to third row minivans.I have not found a Suburban to be poor handling unless you are trying to drive it like a sports car, same for most rollovers, it is drivers who oversteer.

Certainly an individual choice. The type of driver may be a factor for sure. I guess I am a minivan cautious driver in a Suburban. If I were going to be hit by some crazy DUI driver in a pickup, I would prefer to be in a Suburban or Expedition. But as they say -"your mileage may vary".....
Unibody construction tends to do a better job disappearing forces around the occupants also. Unfortunately the Large SUVs don't get tested much so don't have iihs.org videos to show how cabains get compromised. But given how poorly some other ford and chevy suvs (see the 2018 explorer. And yes I know it is a completely different platform but it is amazing anything can perform that bad these days), I would not trust my safety to anything they make without test results. I would place my bets on the Volvo XC90 if I knew I was going to get hit. The video of it bouncing off a semi truck is pretty impressive. But for all we know a mercedes, audi, suburban or a minivan would have also survived. I don't volunteer to find out:)

It is important to remember that the differences at the top get pretty small in a hurry. The differences between being in say a kia rio (i.e. a minicar) and a honda odysseys is much larger than the gap between a Honda Odyssey and what ever you think the safest car is. To a large extent car safety is just avoiding the bottom 1/3rd or so of cars more than looking for the top 1%.

queso

Post by queso » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:29 pm

randomguy wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:22 pm
4nwestsaylng wrote:

Unibody construction tends to do a better job disappearing forces around the occupants also. Unfortunately the Large SUVs don't get tested much so don't have iihs.org videos to show how cabains get compromised. But given how poorly some other ford and chevy suvs (see the 2018 explorer. And yes I know it is a completely different platform but it is amazing anything can perform that bad these days), I would not trust my safety to anything they make without test results. I would place my bets on the Volvo XC90 if I knew I was going to get hit. The video of it bouncing off a semi truck is pretty impressive. But for all we know a mercedes, audi, suburban or a minivan would have also survived. I don't volunteer to find out:)

It is important to remember that the differences at the top get pretty small in a hurry. The differences between being in say a kia rio (i.e. a minicar) and a honda odysseys is much larger than the gap between a Honda Odyssey and what ever you think the safest car is. To a large extent car safety is just avoiding the bottom 1/3rd or so of cars more than looking for the top 1%.
I was thinking about an XC90 to replace my aging Pilot. I've been spoiled by three Hondas in a row so will have to get used to euro level reliability again if I pull the trigger. There's also the cost differential issue. I built one the other day and it was about 72k once I was finished so definitely quite a bit more expensive than the current Pilot.

samsdad

Post by samsdad » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:52 pm

queso wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:29 pm
randomguy wrote:
4nwestsaylng wrote:

I was thinking about an XC90 to replace my aging Pilot. I've been spoiled by three Hondas in a row so will have to get used to euro level reliability again if I pull the trigger. There's also the cost differential issue. I built one the other day and it was about 72k once I was finished so definitely quite a bit more expensive than the current Pilot.
I bought a used 2014 XC90 (the last year of the previous body style) with about 50k miles for $26k when we had our twins. While we all fit, I’d like more room. I’ve of course looked at the new ones. But for the $72k+ price, they can keep them. They’re worth $60k at best imho.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:54 am

randomguy wrote:
2014 IIHS death rates
Honda Odyssey 8
Suburban XL 1500 4wd 39
Honda Civic 39
Jetta 26

I wouldn’t conclude much from theses small numbers. Some drivers can be jerks. Driving style and aggressiveness may be a bigger factor here. I’ve driven (not slow unless traffic) in the left lane and a car or truck comes up fast from behind me and tailgates me closely. More often than not, it’s a large SUV or truck, and seldom to never a minivan. It wouldn’t surprise me if there were different average speeds based on car model and higher speeds associated with higher fatalities.

north2016

Post by north2016 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:44 am

lazydavid wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:25 am
OldBallCoach wrote:
No updates on Sequoia because it has not needed one. You praise the Landcruiser....I have owned both and the Sequoia is equal to (same engine, reliability) or better (size) than the Landcruiser at half the cost. The 5.7 V8 in both vehicles may be one of the best passenger vehicle engines ever. With the Sequoia, unlike the Landcruiser you have the option of not getting 4 wheel drive if not needed since it adds acquisition and maintenance costs. Yes the Landcruiser is a "legendary" vehicle but Toyota has taken the best of the Landcruiser and put it in the Sequoia.

As far as gas mileage, there is so much distracted driving out there with the smart phone and opioid epidemics that I feel relatively safer in a 6000 pound Sequoia. No price on safety. It is just basic physics.

BoglePaul

Post by BoglePaul » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:53 am

queso wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:29 pm
randomguy wrote:
4nwestsaylng wrote:

XC is the Chinese level of reliability, not Euro.

tmcc

Post by tmcc » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:50 am

The new pilot is not an SUV anymore, its a 4 door mini van. it has the ground clearance of a prius.

Get a suburban/yukon/tahoe variant, sequoia/GX470 variant. smaller yet good option is the 4runner.

if you need to haul and carry, consider a crew cab 1500 truck. they can easily carry 5 plus more stuff than youll probably ever need to haul.

if you really need people space, get a passenger sprinter van with captains chairs in the 2nd row. that opens you up for a second job as an airport porter.