Who's flying?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Dude2

Who's flying?

Post by Dude2 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:37 am

Heading to the airport a week from Monday, doing some international travel out of the US.

Anybody have any first hand accounts of how things are at the airports now that TSA is affected by the government shutdown? What are the ramifications? Any particular airports worse than others? I can potentially change to go out of Dulles or JFK, but I thought Atlanta seemed like a good choice in these circumstances. Thanks.

Jack FFR1846

Re: Who's flying?

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:40 am

This is a good question for the road warriors who are in airports every day. The news outlets have been talking about the many TSA employees who are part time with other jobs. The question of the day yesterday was "Which job do you go to? The one who is paying you or the one that isn't?".

I'd sure get to the airport some number of hours earlier than you had planned to. This isn't going to get better as the lack of paychecks builds up.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:59 am

There is a TSA App to get wait times and if you Google "Security Wait Times (your airport)" you will often find a web page like this: https://www.ifly.com/john-f-kennedy-int ... wait-times

rob

Post by rob » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:01 am

NorthEast TSA-Pre has been pretty much fine... Cannot speak to regular lines and times. It's likely going to be airport specific.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:23 am

dbr wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:59 am
There is a TSA App to get wait times and if you Google "Security Wait Times (your airport)" you will often find a web page like this: https://www.ifly.com/john-f-kennedy-int ... wait-times
That sounds great, but when I try the search, and also when I go to the TSA app, all that there is is historical data. Reviews in the app store suggest that once I get to the airport, real times will show up in the app. We'll see.

I will just be at the airport really early. Luckily I have TSAPrechek and hope that helps.

schwank

Post by schwank » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:31 am

Flew two days this week in OR, WA, UT with no indication of differences from my normal travel experiences. That's using TSA precheck, but lines did not look inordinately long for regular passengers either.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:46 am

So far so good BUT I do wonder if things will change by a week-from-Monday. As the amount of time with no paycheck increases I would expect the number of employees not showing up might increase. I too have my next trip scheduled not next week - but the week after - and am a bit concerned it may get bad by then.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:49 am

Flew out of TYS bound for Barcelona Jan 3, noticed nothing different. TSA Precheck still worked. Departing London Heathrow and re-entering the US through Atlanta in four days, should be interesting.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

Stinky

Post by Stinky » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:51 am

Flying today. All seems normal right now.
It's a GREAT day to be alive - Travis Tritt

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:28 pm

RudyS wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:23 am
dbr wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:59 am
That sounds great, but when I try the search, and also when I go to the TSA app, all that there is is historical data. Reviews in the app store suggest that once I get to the airport, real times will show up in the app. We'll see.

I will just be at the airport really early. Luckily I have TSAPrechek and hope that helps.
That JFK link I posted is a projection for today, this afternoon or evening. You can get it for tomorrow as well. How accurate the projection tends to be and whether they have incorporated current events I can't say.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:43 pm

One USA domestic airport announced they'd be closing the TSA security at one terminal.
My understanding is that everyone would need to go through security at one of the other terminals, and then go to "that" terminal if necessary.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

JonFromDimensionC137

Post by JonFromDimensionC137 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:44 pm

I flew out of JFK on Saturday with no precheck and it took less than 5 minutes to clear security.
--This message sent from an NSA monitored device.

carguyny

Post by carguyny » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:47 pm

Flew Wed and Thu this week - saw no difference.

stl717

Post by stl717 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:54 pm

Flew 3 days this week, business as usual.

Topic Author
Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:12 pm

Thanks folks. Media hype had me concerned. You have soothed my spirit.

kelvan80

Post by kelvan80 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:20 pm

Flew on Monday out of STL and there was no noticeable difference.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:23 pm

We flew to Hawaii a couple days ago, we had TSA -pre. Surprisingly smooth, very light. I was commenting that to the TSA people. It’s not what you’ve heard in the media. Honestly they do a disservice to the TSA people. How some people calling in sick and all that.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:25 pm

This is the least busy time of the year for flying. I wouldn’t expect problems to be noticeable unless things really fall apart.

Trader Joe

Post by Trader Joe » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:31 pm

Dude2 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:37 am
Heading to the airport a week from Monday, doing some international travel out of the US.

Anybody have any first hand accounts of how things are at the airports now that TSA is affected by the government shutdown? What are the ramifications? Any particular airports worse than others? I can potentially change to go out of Dulles or JFK, but I thought Atlanta seemed like a good choice in these circumstances. Thanks.
TSA wait times are normal.

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:38 pm

I flew on the first days of the shutdown, and fly again in a couple weeks. I noticed nothing at the beginning. I'm not sure what it will look like after two missed pay periods. I really appreciate TSA being there, especially without getting a paycheck. I'm sure the staff are having difficulties whether they're visible or not. Please make sure you thank them when you see them.

The media reports I saw stated that there was an increase in the number calling in sick, but that it wasn't enough to make a difference in coverage due to the low travel at this time of year. I wouldn't call it hyped. Spring break is coming up, though.

I believe a bill just passed that the President has stated that he would sign providing back pay as soon as appropriations are restored, so at least they don't have to worry about that issue.

This is an example of why it is important to have an emergency fund, and why you should not live paycheck to paycheck. You never know what may happen.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:31 pm

ORD & MDW are ok, for now.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:30 pm

wolf359 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:38 pm
I flew on the first days of the shutdown, and fly again in a couple weeks. I noticed nothing at the beginning. I'm not sure what it will look like after two missed pay periods. I really appreciate TSA being there, especially without getting a paycheck. I'm sure the staff are having difficulties whether they're visible or not. Please make sure you thank them when you see them.

The media reports I saw stated that there was an increase in the number calling in sick, but that it wasn't enough to make a difference in coverage due to the low travel at this time of year. I wouldn't call it hyped. Spring break is coming up, though.

I believe a bill just passed that the President has stated that he would sign providing back pay as soon as appropriations are restored, so at least they don't have to worry about that issue.

This is an example of why it is important to have an emergency fund, and why you should not live paycheck to paycheck. You never know what may happen.
That’s a non starter, they always get paid.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:37 pm

schwank wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:31 am
Flew two days this week in OR, WA, UT with no indication of differences from my normal travel experiences. That's using TSA precheck, but lines did not look inordinately long for regular passengers either.
Maybe the problem with government shutdowns is too much is normal when things are shut down. If a shut down meant the borders were closed and all flights were cancelled, maybe that would force the politicians to do fewer/shorter shutdowns and actually learn how to compromise/make hard choices/do the job they were sent to do.

I literally can't think of one way the government shut down has affected me personally. It's literally a non-event in my life.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:01 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:37 pm
schwank wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:31 am
Maybe the problem with government shutdowns is too much is normal when things are shut down. If a shut down meant the borders were closed and all flights were cancelled, maybe that would force the politicians to do fewer/shorter shutdowns and actually learn how to compromise/make hard choices/do the job they were sent to do.

I literally can't think of one way the government shut down has affected me personally. It's literally a non-event in my life.
I'm not sure you would necessarily see all the ways it is affecting you. Food inspections are not being performed. Superfund site cleanups have been stopped. Crimes in your community are not being fully investigated/prosecuted. (US Attorneys in my district have been told to make scheduled court appearances but do no other work.) These things affect you, just perhaps not in ways you'll see right away. But I agree with your first statement.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:17 pm

Flying in a few weeks. Will be very nervous about wait times if it’s not resolved by then. I also need to speak with the IRS. Eventually this is going to get very problematic. I assume people working without getting paid eventually question why they are getting up in the morning and going to work when they can find other jobs at which they will not be used as political pawns.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

MP123

Post by MP123 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:53 pm

Two flights this last week. No issues at all with TSA, in fact the PreCheck line was much shorter than usual.

Media hype is my guess...

tumba

Post by tumba » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:35 pm

Flew today with a layover in Atlanta. Every airport I was in seemed normal. I did tell the TSA agents with whom I interacted that I was sorry they weren’t being paid.

Trism

Post by Trism » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:23 am

Things were normal at TPA, DFW, CLT and SAN this week.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:19 am

Just flew thru DFW and ATL. Was surprised it was easier than normal.

Java11

Post by Java11 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:28 pm

I flew twice last week. All was smooth as ever. Unfortunately I've learned to take most of what the media is peddling with a grain of salt.

exigent

Post by exigent » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:42 pm

I flew out of San Diego this morning and there was zero wait when I passed through security. I was a little concerned because yesterday was apparently the first payday that they had missed. I thought that might prompt some to stay home, but it was a complete non-issue. At some point, if this continues, it seems like it will have to affect service levels.

sparksfly

Post by sparksfly » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:47 pm

Everything was normal at ORD and EWR this week. We have people flying from DFW, RDU, BOS, CVG...nobody had anything different to report

Topic Author
Dude2

Post by Dude2 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:49 am

Rate of TSA Sickouts Rises
The Transportation Security Administration plans to begin closing a handful of security checkpoints at airports around the U.S. this weekend in response to staff shortages as effects of the three-week partial federal government shutdown begin to expand.

TSA employees called in sick in higher numbers on Saturday, the day after their first missed paycheck since the U.S. government wound down on Dec. 22. Representatives for TSA employees say that number is likely to rise as the shutdown drags on.

rvflyer

Post by rvflyer » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:38 am

I wonder what the percentage of full time to part time TSA checkers is. What are the overtime rules for both full time and part timers? Can the TSA edict mandatory overtime? Good to hear no major issues so far in this arena.

sid hartha

Post by sid hartha » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:43 am

I think things are safe now and would fly but I am supposed to fly in a few months and if the shut down is still going on I am not getting on a plane.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:13 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:25 pm
This is the least busy time of the year for flying. I wouldn’t expect problems to be noticeable unless things really fall apart.
I think it depends on time of day and day of week. I have friends that travel regularly on business who tell me early morning hours on Monday tend to be crazy all year round. I also like to take the first flight of the day and there are quite often security back-ups because no one likes to arrive too early in the morning.

The Charlotte Airport is interesting as there are 4 different check points for concourse A, B, C, and D/E. Not all have TSA precheck. But once you are through security you can get back to any concourse. The airport shuttle drops you off at concourse B, so the the security lines for concourses A, B, and C are always fairly long. Concourse D is international and E is for the commuter flights and there is very rarely a line of more than 2-3 minutes at their combined check point. So I save time and get some extra exercize by heading directly for that check point.

sco

Post by sco » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:37 am

sid hartha wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:43 am
I think things are safe now and would fly but I am supposed to fly in a few months and if the shut down is still going on I am not getting on a plane.
You think because some people don't show up that the procedures have changed? Vs the wait times?

Or under the impression that the TSA is effective at stopping something and more of them around is even more effective?

sid hartha

Post by sid hartha » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:02 am

sco wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:37 am
sid hartha wrote:
You think because some people don't show up that the procedures have changed? Vs the wait times?

Or under the impression that the TSA is effective at stopping something and more of them around is even more effective?
I don't care about TSA. I think not paying air traffic controllers, putting their assistants and trainees on furlough, not inspecting planes, not renewing pilot's certifications among other things sets up a situation where in three months I don't think it would be safe to fly.

sco

Post by sco » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:37 am

sid hartha wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:02 am
sco wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:37 am
sid hartha wrote:

I don't care about TSA. I think not paying air traffic controllers, putting their assistants and trainees on furlough, not inspecting planes, not renewing pilot's certifications among other things sets up a situation where in three months I don't think it would be safe to fly.
Ok. That makes a lot more sense :)

I still don't agree, but that makes a lot more sense.

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:21 am

FlyerTalk would be a better location to get current info on this.

For example, thread from this morning in the DL forum on ATL: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-a ... ds-up.html

Flymore

Post by Flymore » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:09 am

Not sure if this thread is still active or anybody cares, but i flew from LAX yesterday morning everything went great no delays perfect flight - Thanks United airlines and LAX!

onthecusp

Post by onthecusp » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:40 am

The Houston airport (IAH or Bush) announced, this morning, that the TSA checkpoint for terminal B is closed, apparently due to staffing. Terminal B is generally the smallest terminal and has more of the smaller planes. You can go through the checkpoint at A or C and then get over to B on the "airside". Just another delay to account for, and presumably more crowded at the other checkpoints.

Beach

Post by Beach » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:13 am

Copper John

Post by Copper John » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:43 am

Just went through Pre check in Denver at 9 a.m. on a Monday morning in about 2 minutes. Non Pre check lines were not long.

chazas

Post by chazas » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:25 pm

DCA and LGA were both fine last Tuesday/Wednesday.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:54 pm

Dude2 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:37 am

Flew back from an international trip a week ago through Dallas and Los Angeles to Manila. Didn't notice any slowdowns. The slowest trip through the TSA security point was on our way out a week before the shutdown.

chw

Post by chw » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:21 pm

Just flew back to Boston from Tampa- no noticeable delays in spite of warnings by the airline.

YMMV if the shutdown continues indefinitely.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:43 am

Update on my earlier post:

We flew from Heathrow to Atlanta yesterday, en route to our home airport. Immigration at Atlanta was smooth (Global Entry). However, after we passed that gauntlet and re-checked our bags for the homeward leg, we encountered absolute chaos at the security re-screening. Supposedly there were two lines (Pre-check and non-Pre-check). When the two lines entered the room where screening was happening, they pretty much merged. People were being moved from the non-Precheck line to the Precheck line and vice versa willy-nilly, folks were being directed to the Precheck line who did not have Precheck, and I was instructed to put my carry-on bag on the Precheck conveyor for X-raying but then was directed to the non-Precheck metal detector for (as far as I could tell) no reason. I never like re-entering the country at Atlanta, but this seemed much more disorganized and erratic than normal.

If you're flying internationally in the next few days, I hope you allocated extra time for security screening.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:44 am

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:43 am
Update on my earlier post:

We flew from Heathrow to Atlanta yesterday, en route to our home airport. Immigration at Atlanta was smooth (Global Entry). However, after we passed that gauntlet and re-checked our bags for the homeward leg, we encountered absolute chaos at the security re-screening. Supposedly there were two lines (Pre-check and non-Pre-check). When the two lines entered the room where screening was happening, they pretty much merged. People were being moved from the non-Precheck line to the Precheck line and vice versa willy-nilly, folks were being directed to the Precheck line who did not have Precheck, and I was instructed to put my carry-on bag on the Precheck conveyor for X-raying but then was directed to the non-Precheck metal detector for (as far as I could tell) no reason. I never like re-entering the country at Atlanta, but this seemed much more disorganized and erratic than normal.

If you're flying internationally in the next few days, I hope you allocated extra time for security screening.
News media has been reporting that 2 of the 3 checkpoints in Atlanta are closed due to staffing, and waits are 2-3 hours. Sorry you got caught in that. Ugly.

JuniorBH

Post by JuniorBH » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:40 pm

Flew in/out of LGA and CLT this week. No obvious differences and although I have Precheck, the normal lines didn't appear longer than usual.