Geek Squad Wait Time

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Bigfish

Geek Squad Wait Time

Post by Bigfish » Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:26 pm

I pay about $10 per month for Best Buy's Geek Squad remote personal computer support and have used their service sparingly over the last several years. Early on the wait time was reasonable and the service worked well however, more recently it has been unacceptable in my opinion. Today 15 minutes after I logged on to have them fix a problem I was told the wait time would be up to 90 minutes. Is there another service like Geek Squad that may be more tolerable?
BF

Small Law Survivor

Re: Geek Squad Wait Time

Post by Small Law Survivor » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:07 pm

I see Geek Squad cars around my Boston suburb, and see their counter in the local Best Buy, but I've never used them or explored their service. How does it work in you case - do they log into your computer remotely? What do they charge for this per hour? Apart from the wait time, is the service good/effective?
67 yrs, semi-retired lawyer, 50/40/10 s/b/c, 70/30 dom/int'l. Plan:4% until age 70, 3% when social security kicks in. Boglehead since day 1 under diff names

Iridium

Post by Iridium » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:10 pm

Microsoft Store has one from Microsoft (called Microsoft Complete, I think?). My mother bought the service, but I think she only ever used it for the in-store training (if you are near one of their stores, the service actually looks pretty nice). She did use and was reasonably happy with Comodo, which included support with their antivirus (not clear whether they will still fix non-virus problems for you as part of buying the package; they did a few years ago).

There may also be merit in giving Best buy another chance. Post-Christmas is almost certainly their busy season and I would imagine it is not easy to hire decent tech support folks as 'holiday help'.

Topic Author
Bigfish

Post by Bigfish » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:18 pm

Small Law Survivor wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:07 pm
I see Geek Squad cars around my Boston suburb, and see their counter in the local Best Buy, but I've never used them or explored their service. How does it work in you case - do they log into your computer remotely? What do they charge for this per hour? Apart from the wait time, is the service good/effective?
They charge a flat rate of about $10 per month for their service and they log on remotely. I'm about an hour form the nearest store I'm not sure what they charge for a "house call". The service has been good, occasionally the tech has had to kick it up to another level to resolve a more complex problem. Other than the wait time I have no complaints.

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:59 pm

They must cap the time they'll spend for $10/month, don't they?
67 yrs, semi-retired lawyer, 50/40/10 s/b/c, 70/30 dom/int'l. Plan:4% until age 70, 3% when social security kicks in. Boglehead since day 1 under diff names

Topic Author
Bigfish

Post by Bigfish » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:54 am

I'm not sure I've never used their service more than once a month, but it's probably in the fine print somewhere.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:09 pm

Bigfish wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:26 pm
I pay about $10 per month for Best Buy's Geek Squad remote personal computer support and have used their service sparingly over the last several years. Early on the wait time was reasonable and the service worked well however, more recently it has been unacceptable in my opinion. Today 15 minutes after I logged on to have them fix a problem I was told the wait time would be up to 90 minutes. Is there another service like Geek Squad that may be more tolerable?
BF
Such services are a first come, first serve. Sounds like you logged in a day where there was already a line in front of you. Think of it as going to get your oil changed. What are you going to do on the day you decide to do it there are 9 other cars lined up ahead of you for service?
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

mhalley

Post by mhalley » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:35 pm

Is it cost effective to pay $120 a year for something you use “sparingly”?

Topic Author
Bigfish

Post by Bigfish » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:07 am

mhalley wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:35 pm
Is it cost effective to pay $120 a year for something you use “sparingly”?
I thought iota was now I'm not so sure. Early on when I used the service the wait time was reasonable (a few minutes) and they were able to resolve the problem and also did a "clean up". Otherwise I would have to find someone to come to the house or load the computer in the car and take it to someone who could fix it. I live in a rural area so I don't have the same services available to larger towns. I might add that the $10 monthly fee covered both of our laptop and desk top computers.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:13 am

What seems to be the trouble with your machine?

There aren't that many fixes a person can do by remoting in. For example, if the problem is that your Internet is down, then that's not happening. Or if you're experiencing hardware issues, remoting in won't fix a thing.

It's really just performance issues they can help with, I suppose. Like clearing your temporary files, forcing your anti-virus to do a scan, or telling you your hard drive is too full. Stuff like that, presumably? Or maybe changing the settings (back) to what you want them to be?

acunn

Post by acunn » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:24 am

our local geek squad at Best Buy is now an apple certified repair location. They have been excellent in this regard when I have had an apple certified recall issue. If this is true in other locations as well then I would imagine it would increase the demand greatly for those without an Apple Store in town. This may explain your wait time increase.

z91

Post by z91 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:17 pm

JMHO but if you have issues that can be resolved over the internet, why not ask the internet and educate yourself? It's fairly simple nowadays to type in error messages or how to do something and get an answer. Make some trusted friends online (or family members) that are techie and grant them limited access to your machine to fix it.

This is a pretty good resource:
https://www.reddit.com/r/techsupport/

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:49 pm

Can you give examples of what they are helping you with? Google/YouTube fix all my problems for free (as well as many folks I know who are less technical than me).

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:12 pm

I haven't had any need for computer repair help in quite some time. A few years ago my PC died, as in wouldn't power up. I tried a power-supply swap, to no avail. At that point, I just got a replacement, one where I could mount the old hard-drive.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.