$40,000 in debt, bankruptcy seems to be the best option right now

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
TSR
Posts: 736
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:08 am

Re: $40,000 in debt, bankruptcy seems to be the best option right now

Post by TSR » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:39 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:23 pm
FoolMeOnce wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:17 pm
It's pretty funny that someone thinks people all over the country are buying, and people on this site are recommending, a security system that doesn't do anything.
I have no idea what you are talking about. The system absolutely works. Period.

I was responding to a poster's complaint about the system for which I pointed them to the source of the problem which they could have easily found for themselves.

Cheers
I don't want to speak for him/her, but I think that's what FoolMeOnce is saying -- it's odd that the one poster who complained about the product thinks everyone here is hyping a product that doesn't work. In other words, I think you're both in agreement here.

Silk McCue
Posts: 1753
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: $40,000 in debt, bankruptcy seems to be the best option right now

Post by Silk McCue » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:43 pm

TSR wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:39 pm
I don't want to speak for him/her, but I think that's what FoolMeOnce is saying -- it's odd that the one poster who complained about the product thinks everyone here is hyping a product that doesn't work. In other words, I think you're both in agreement here.
Ugh! You are correct. I either need more or less caffeine. I think I will go with chocolate instead.

Cheers

Silk McCue
Posts: 1753
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:11 pm

Re: $40,000 in debt, bankruptcy seems to be the best option right now

Post by Silk McCue » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:46 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:23 pm
FoolMeOnce wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:17 pm
It's pretty funny that someone thinks people all over the country are buying, and people on this site are recommending, a security system that doesn't do anything.
Edited
I deleted my original response as I misread the intent of FoolMeOnce by 180°.

Oh well.

Cheers

FoolMeOnce
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:16 am

Re: $40,000 in debt, bankruptcy seems to be the best option right now

Post by FoolMeOnce » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:13 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:46 pm
Silk McCue wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:23 pm
FoolMeOnce wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:17 pm
It's pretty funny that someone thinks people all over the country are buying, and people on this site are recommending, a security system that doesn't do anything.
Edited
I deleted my original response as I misread the intent of FoolMeOnce by 180°.

Oh well.

Cheers
:sharebeer

jayk238
Posts: 488
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:02 pm

Re: $40,000 in debt, bankruptcy seems to be the best option right now

Post by jayk238 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:25 pm

Silk McCue wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:32 pm
jayk238 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:00 pm
gclancer wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:27 pm
geologist20 wrote:
Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:50 pm
Do you really need a security system? I have two young kids and it gives peace of mind. The services is basic
Get SimpliSafe. Upfront cost for the system, but skip the monitoring (someone breaking in will run when they hear the alarm). ROI is only a couple of months.
Simplisafe sucks. I have simplisafe. When i come home i just hit cancel and it stops. No code nothing. What a joke.
If you didn't change The Master Pin that can happen. Try Google next time or call customer support if something doesn't work the way you think it should.

Cheers
Cheers to you too. I did change the master pin. It just randomly started doing it in the last two weeks.

You mean the 20 minutes spent waiting to hear from someone? Google? I can google just fine. Cool story bro.

boglesmind
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:07 pm

Re: $40,000 in debt, bankruptcy seems to be the best option right now

Post by boglesmind » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:14 pm

FoolMeOnce wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:13 pm
Silk McCue wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:46 pm
Silk McCue wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:23 pm
FoolMeOnce wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:17 pm
It's pretty funny that someone thinks people all over the country are buying, and people on this site are recommending, a security system that doesn't do anything.
Edited
I deleted my original response as I misread the intent of FoolMeOnce by 180°.

Oh well.

Cheers
:sharebeer
FoolMeOnce, I would like to hear from you directly what you meant.

Thanks
Boglesmind

User avatar
F150HD
Posts: 1844
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Re: $40,000 in debt, bankruptcy seems to be the best option right now

Post by F150HD » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:23 pm

has the OP abandoned this thread?

Austintatious
Posts: 830
Joined: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:01 pm

Re: $40,000 in debt, bankruptcy seems to be the best option right now

Post by Austintatious » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:31 pm

geologist20,

for the past 5 months, I've been working with an individual who had racked up debt much like yours and who had reached the point of being financially and emotionally overwhelmed by it all. With regularly and frequently scheduled sessions in which I've provided input (It ain't rocket science.), disciplined oversight and lots of encouragement, this person has made marked progress, so that the finances are under control, the debt is being retired far faster than this person had thought possible, and that light at the end of the tunnel is clearly in sight, even though still at least a year away. Consider the possibility of finding a "financial coach" who is prepared to work with you and your wife over the long haul, someone who you can talk to, make plans with and be counseled by as you work your way out of that financial hole. As long as the two of you are prepared to fully commit, having such an individual ( a close friend, a family member) on hand to work closely with you over time might make a very big difference, especially at those times when your commitment to "the plan" waivers.

I've just today come across this website, so I know only what I've seen about it online. At first glance, it looks to be a well organized and thought out resource. It's the work product of a young man who dug himself out of some $80k in debt and who is using his experiences as a springboard for his venture, which I'm presuming is earning him some cash. You might find it helpful. His story about how he dug himself out from an $80k debt burden is at the second link.

https://www.moneyunder30.com/about

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/finance ... -under-30/

additional comment: OP, I don't recommend any loan, credit card or other commercial product that might be advertised on that site or recommended by the site owner.

FoolMeOnce
Posts: 399
Joined: Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:16 am

Re: $40,000 in debt, bankruptcy seems to be the best option right now

Post by FoolMeOnce » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:03 pm

boglesmind wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:14 pm
FoolMeOnce wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:13 pm
Silk McCue wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:46 pm
Silk McCue wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:23 pm
FoolMeOnce wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:17 pm
It's pretty funny that someone thinks people all over the country are buying, and people on this site are recommending, a security system that doesn't do anything.
Edited
I deleted my original response as I misread the intent of FoolMeOnce by 180°.

Oh well.

Cheers
:sharebeer
FoolMeOnce, I would like to hear from you directly what you meant.

Thanks
Boglesmind
I think it's funny that's jayk238 thinks that a widely recommended security system has no security, that the system is designed so that anyone can break in and just hit "cancel."

Post Reply