Discounted Postage Stamps

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DTalos

Discounted Postage Stamps

Post by DTalos » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:07 pm

What do you all think is a good discounted price to pay for non-forever postage stamps? A neighbor has 200 various postage stamps ranging in denominations from 22c to 44c that he is willing to sell for 60% of FV (which is 40% off). A family member told me that deal is like free money because buying postage for a discount is rare. Is this deal a no brainer or above average? I could mix and match the various denominations to get to 55c first class postage and use the rest on packages instead of trying to purchase additional small denominated (5c for example) stamps to get to 55c.

I'm not a heavy user of postage stamps. I use about 30 forever stamps (currently $15) a year, but I'm thinking that since the postage stamps never decline in value, there would be no loss.

Re: Discounted Postage Stamps

Post by 123 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:20 pm

I think most of the fresh new US postage stamps (forever) come with an adhesive backing that makes them easy to use. If the stamps you're thinking of are a mixed bag of sheet and roll stamps the glue on them makes them not as easy to work with. Plus when you use them you have to mix-and-match to get the postage you want. Discounted postage stamps could be a good deal if you otherwise use a lot of stamps, have time to fiddle with them, and you have an organized way of keeping them so you can easily find the ones you want.

I'd take the easy way out and just buy gobs of forever stamps (before the upcoming price increase) and be done with it, but I'm lazy.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

sport

Post by sport » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:25 pm

IMO 60% of face value is a good deal. How much money is involved? The nuisance factor is minor. Since they were bought at a discount, if the combined value on an envelope exceeds the total you are aiming for by a few cents, it does not matter. It would not bother me to moisten the glue on an old-fashioned stamp.

PoppyA

Post by PoppyA » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:27 pm

I buy them at a local coin show for 40% off. I especially love the space program stamps!
“Your labor income makes you rich, not your investments.”

z91

Post by z91 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:29 pm

sport wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:25 pm
IMO 60% of face value is a good deal. How much money is involved? The nuisance factor is minor. Since they were bought at a discount, if the combined value on an envelope exceeds the total you are aiming for by a few cents, it does not matter. It would not bother me to moisten the glue on an old-fashioned stamp.
OP said 200 stamps. So we're looking at $88 max. I personally would buy then if I had immediate use for them or send out a lot of mail. Otherwise not worth it to me.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:32 pm

If I expected to mail more than my usual 2-5 envelopes each month it might be worth the trouble. So say you are talking about 200 stamps averaging 35 cent face value. You stand to save under $30 by executing this scheme which, in my case, would run over several years. Sounds like I could raise equivalent return more easily by roaming the street picking up empty cans and bottles. :D

ladycat

Post by ladycat » Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:34 pm

I think its a good deal for both of you. For you - if you can purchase only the amount you want and not the entire lot. I sold a large volume of stamps for 40-50% of face value to a company in California.
Stamps are good forever, but if the adhesive is bad you must use glue, not tape over the stamps. The USPS can reject mail that has tape over stamps. And it can be fun to use old stamps.

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:51 pm

I read about this sometime ago here, and could not resist hopping over to ebay to buy a lot (or two...) of 30% discounted unused U.S. postage stamps. Then I amused myself for a rainy afternoon gluing them all to envelopes in 50 Cent increments.... and used a bunch of the 25 cent stamps on some small first class packages. It was fun, it was amusing, you will never make a big profit either way. Honestly, I mail so few envelopes, I can't even find people to give these away to. So - buy only what you feasibly will use up mailing things! But... it was fun.... 40% is a good, fair price. Avoid the really small denominations...
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

squirm

Post by squirm » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:12 am

Is this even enough to worry about? I'd pass on it and think of easier ways to save some $$...How about calling up your cable provider and asking for a better rate.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:22 am

squirm wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:12 am
Is this even enough to worry about? I'd pass on it and think of easier ways to save some $$...How about calling up your cable provider and asking for a better rate.
People on this site still use cable providers? Cut the cord over a decade ago when it was over $40/month (!) and haven’t looked back.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:04 am

DTalos wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:07 pm
What do you all think is a good discounted price to pay for non-forever postage stamps? A neighbor has 200 various postage stamps ranging in denominations from 22c to 44c that he is willing to sell for 60% of FV (which is 40% off). A family member told me that deal is like free money because buying postage for a discount is rare. Is this deal a no brainer or above average? I could mix and match the various denominations to get to 55c first class postage and use the rest on packages instead of trying to purchase additional small denominated (5c for example) stamps to get to 55c.

I'm not a heavy user of postage stamps. I use about 30 forever stamps (currently $15) a year, but I'm thinking that since the postage stamps never decline in value, there would be no loss.

I just bought $900 in mint face sheets ($0.29 TO 0.45) at 65% face. I sold a portion of the stamps ABOVE face for their philatelic value. The rest is gradually being sold to friends and family with the postage required to make the current 1st class rate. I also use a lot of postage sending packages with the postage reducing my costs by 35%.

Is it worth it? Sure is.

Also, my nephews and nieces think that it is cool to get a letter with all of the cool stamps.

BoglePaul

Penny wise, pound foolish

Post by BoglePaul » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:43 am

Sounds like you already value the convenience of the better adhesive and not having to think about the exact price of the postage including searching through a bag for the right combination of stamps. Also, the forever stamps are pay-as-you-go vs an up-front capital investment. Life is short. Just pay the $15 / year and consider the added convenience as luxury and be done with it.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:35 am

I found some old $0.32 stamps cleaning the house, they are still good. My issue is, they kinda look like the new 'Forever stamps', but they are not. My fear is I'll use one by mistake someday and the letter will be sent back to me, something that really needed delivery (like a bill I can't pay online). As I don't mail much any more, I don't use stamps a ton so grabbing 'one from the pile', they kinda all look alike. Forever stamps don't have a $$ amount printed on them so I'm unsure what 2nd stamp I'd need to purchase to use them ($.05 stamps? $0.06 stamps?). And that value changes this month too I believe. Kinda a Hassle. Prob will just use 2 of them at a time to burn them through.

Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:06 pm

jlawrence01 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:04 am
DTalos wrote:

I just bought $900 in mint face sheets ($0.29 TO 0.45) at 65% face. I sold a portion of the stamps ABOVE face for their philatelic value. The rest is gradually being sold to friends and family with the postage required to make the current 1st class rate. I also use a lot of postage sending packages with the postage reducing my costs by 35%.

Is it worth it? Sure is.

Also, my nephews and nieces think that it is cool to get a letter with all of the cool stamps.

Wow! That's a lot of stamps, but sounds like you got a good deal. If you are going to a use a full sheet of 50 stamps on a large package, do you have to unhinge each stamp and lick it or can you just apply with glue the entire sheet?

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:24 pm

I saved 100% when I stopped using checks and sending paper to far off places. I use credit cards, bill pay, ACH, wire transfers, and P2P transfers for sending money. I've been using e-mail since 1993, too. You can even communicate electronically with prisoners now. Surely people on the outside can manage.

lexie2000

Post by lexie2000 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:26 pm

If the adhesive is old, Elmer's glue works great.

My mom had a bunch of old stamps that she gave to me. I separated them by value and put them in a plastic container. When I need to mail an envelope (not often), I find out what sending a letter costs (cuz I never can remember) and then grab the plastic container and the Elmer's.

I still have some of the original liberty bell forever stamps from 2007 that I think cost $.41/ea. I'll use those when all of my mom's stamps are gone.

potatochip

Post by potatochip » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:28 pm

I think this is a reasonable deal if you don’t mind the fiddliness of older stamps as others have already described. You can get something in the range of 30% off new stamps from USPS via eBay when eBay has coupons or discount codes. Some users will then resell stamps at a slightly higher rate, and if you buy these using an eBay coupon you can essentially stack discounts.

magicbunny

Post by magicbunny » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:36 pm

At the Post office, supposedly they will accept sheets of postage stamps as payment. Sending a package or an express mail thing can potentially use up a lot of stamps that way. :happy

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:34 pm

DTalos wrote:

Is it really worth the time to go through 200 stamps to find 2 or 3 that add up to the exact postage you want? And there could be a loss if you decided it wasn't worth the hassle after doing this a few times and decided to just buy a pad of forever stamps.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

matatupuncher

Post by matatupuncher » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:39 pm

This has to be a joke.

Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:50 pm

matatupuncher wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:39 pm
This has to be a joke.

No, it's not.

celia

Post by celia » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:55 pm

I had about 100 odd-valued various denomination stamps at one time. I used them all up when sending Christmas cards one year and liked to add the values up in my head (mental exercise). Over time, I'm starting to end up with them again (from fund-raising letters with return postage included, PO vending machine rounding up to make the minimium $1 purchase, extra post card stamps purchased for traveling).

Yooper16

Post by Yooper16 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:59 am

celia wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:55 pm
I had about 100 odd-valued various denomination stamps at one time. I used them all up when sending Christmas cards one year and liked to add the values up in my head (mental exercise). Over time, I'm starting to end up with them again (from fund-raising letters with return postage included, PO vending machine rounding up to make the minimium $1 purchase, extra post card stamps purchased for traveling).
For unknown number of years, my spouse was given the Post Office "yearbook" where they highlighted dozens of special stamps and included the story/reason behind the stamp. These yearbooks were very well done, colorful and educational.

We took the stamps, which were in sleeves on the corresponding page and not glued in. Gave the books to an elementary school teacher who used them in her reading sessions with students. Those stamps lasted about 6 years for use and we mail cards, bills and yes we even still write letters. We did spend a number of hours sorting thro and organizing. Not a waste of time------ we did this in the winter so a perfect time. Very few did not stick.
Still a few more to go.

Celia--- you're right about the mental exercise and also a spatial exercise to use the stamps and fit the envelope neatly.

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:35 am

DTalos wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:06 pm
jlawrence01 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:04 am
DTalos wrote:

Is it worth it? Sure is.

Wow! That's a lot of stamps, but sounds like you got a good deal. If you are going to a use a full sheet of 50 stamps on a large package, do you have to unhinge each stamp and lick it or can you just apply with glue the entire sheet?

They are all self adhesives so it is easy to stick them on to the package.

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:07 pm

magicbunny wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:36 pm
At the Post office, supposedly they will accept sheets of postage stamps as payment. Sending a package or an express mail thing can potentially use up a lot of stamps that way. :happy
I do not believe the USPS accepts returns - which is kind of what that is. But you can certainly stick them on all 6 sides of a box!
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:11 pm

I bought A LOT of stamps from the USPS via their ebay page, and after awhile I realized they were no longer adhering to the envelopes. I got some letters returned for no postage, etc. I took the remaining stamps into the local post office thinking I could get replacements or a refund, and was told tough luck, the online stuff is separate.

So now I buy fewer stamps at a time.