Who has the highest allocation to international stocks?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
DrGoogle2017
Posts: 1771
Joined: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:31 pm

Re: Who has the highest allocation to international stocks?

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:58 pm

bluquark wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:28 pm
DrGoogle2017 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:23 pm
But what I’ve seen lately, When USA stock market goes down, the international market follows. So I’m not sure it’s be diversified enough. They move almost in lock step, that’s my observation.
They do, but the total returns still drift apart significantly over a period of many years, and that should be the main concern for long-term investors.
Thanks to your comment. I’m nibbling back slowly.

Jefferson
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:37 pm

Re: Who has the highest allocation to international stocks?

Post by Jefferson » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:53 pm

KJVanguard wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:31 pm
Now who overweights small caps via VSS as I do?
I’m 60/40 US/intl

The 40 is
20% VTIAX
10% VSS
10% VWO

dh
Posts: 307
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:01 pm

Re: Who has the highest allocation to international stocks?

Post by dh » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:19 pm

I am a simple man who has never been able to predict next year's "The Callan Periodic Table of Investment Returns," so I stay 50% / 50%. Good luck to us all. :sharebeer

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 13120
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: Who has the highest allocation to international stocks?

Post by abuss368 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:42 pm

Cap weight is a moving target. Approximately 50% U.S. and 50% International. If the actual at any point in time is 55% U.S. / 45% International or 45% U.S. / 55% International, it would make no difference. We are dancing on the head of a needle.

Vanguard investment experts presently recommend 40% of stock to international and 30% of bonds to international for a global strategy. I would not be surprised if the stocks move to a 50% U.S and 50% International at some point.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

User avatar
rob
Posts: 3003
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:49 pm
Location: Here

Re: Who has the highest allocation to international stocks?

Post by rob » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:43 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:53 am
No need. Here on Bogleheads.org, we believe in American exceptionalism. Except for cars. :twisted:
I believe that the Camry is the (one of the?) "most American" car by source of parts (and maybe also labor) - I see that BORING excuse for a vehicle recommended a lot around here. 8-)
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

brad.clarkston
Posts: 636
Joined: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:31 pm
Location: Kansas City, MO

Re: Who has the highest allocation to international stocks?

Post by brad.clarkston » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:00 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:53 am
No need. Here on Bogleheads.org, we believe in American exceptionalism. Except for cars. :twisted:
Not sure why you would say that Toyota/Honda/Mitsubishi makes some of the best domestic cars here in the states.
Granted those foreign GM/Ford/Fiat-Chrysler cars made in South America are horrible ;)

EDIT: Lol ninja'ed by Rob. Yep I've been driving a boring little used Camry for just over a decade with nothing more than oil/tires/1 battery/1 hose replacements.

visualguy
Posts: 904
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:32 am

Re: Who has the highest allocation to international stocks?

Post by visualguy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:05 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:42 pm
Vanguard investment experts presently recommend 40% of stock to international and 30% of bonds to international for a global strategy. I would not be surprised if the stocks move to a 50% U.S and 50% International at some point.
I'd be more interested in learning how they invest their own money, not other people's money.

visualguy
Posts: 904
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:32 am

Re: Who has the highest allocation to international stocks?

Post by visualguy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:12 pm

brad.clarkston wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:00 pm
Yep I've been driving a boring little used Camry for just over a decade with nothing more than oil/tires/1 battery/1 hose replacements.
One thing I admire about them is that they are still sticking to naturally-aspirated engines which tend to be more durable/reliable, while Honda and most others went turbo. Anyway, not sure how we got on this topic...

User avatar
CaliJim
Posts: 3030
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:47 pm
Location: California, near the beach

Re: Who has the highest allocation to international stocks?

Post by CaliJim » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:02 pm

I like where you are going with your answer. it is very literal. yet it is not quite correct an extremely rich bloke could have more invested in international stocks than many others could have in margin debt. But I like the idea of going with a negative with the AA. -45%/-10%, would that be a 'higher allocation than 100%/0=undefined/infinity!!!!!! Mr Megabucks could be $100,000,000 Intl over $0 US or he could borrow against his home and be $-30,000,000 Intl / $0???

how are we comparing the AAs What exactly constitutes a higher allocation? absolute value invested or pct of abs value over net total portfolio? If the margin is collaterized by some other asset, do we evaluate the margin debt as negative or do we net it out against the collateral? is it only the AA of the ratio of the amount invested over the total port 1( Which is a higher allocation $-9,020 intl vxwix ((9m in margin against 9m in vbmfx alloc not shown/$-100,000US(say....borrowing $100k of VT from someone VG or Taylor? jk) a higher allocation than $2,0000/$1,0000US or simply a comparison of the Ratios? -9m/-100k = 90
pdavi21 wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:15 am
The person who has taken out the most margin debt to puchase the most bullish call options on international stocks while also taking out more margin debt to finance naked shorts against US stocks.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

am
Posts: 2817
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:55 am

Re: Who has the highest allocation to international stocks?

Post by am » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:32 pm

40% international. Still waiting for it to have a big run. Hopefully get me to the finish line since I’m buying low and lower all the time,

pascalwager
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:36 pm

Re: Who has the highest allocation to international stocks?

Post by pascalwager » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:35 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:42 pm
Cap weight is a moving target. Approximately 50% U.S. and 50% International. If the actual at any point in time is 55% U.S. / 45% International or 45% U.S. / 55% International, it would make no difference. We are dancing on the head of a needle.

Vanguard investment experts presently recommend 40% of stock to international and 30% of bonds to international for a global strategy. I would not be surprised if the stocks move to a 50% U.S and 50% International at some point.
I expect Vanguard to remain at 40% int'l for awhile. Its right in the middle of their recommended reasonable range of 30 to 50%. Yesterday I got flagged for holding 50.04% int'l.

User avatar
abuss368
Posts: 13120
Joined: Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: Who has the highest allocation to international stocks?

Post by abuss368 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:58 pm

pascalwager wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:35 pm
abuss368 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:42 pm
Cap weight is a moving target. Approximately 50% U.S. and 50% International. If the actual at any point in time is 55% U.S. / 45% International or 45% U.S. / 55% International, it would make no difference. We are dancing on the head of a needle.

Vanguard investment experts presently recommend 40% of stock to international and 30% of bonds to international for a global strategy. I would not be surprised if the stocks move to a 50% U.S and 50% International at some point.
I expect Vanguard to remain at 40% int'l for awhile. Its right in the middle of their recommended reasonable range of 30 to 50%. Yesterday I got flagged for holding 50.04% int'l.
Interesting. Were you flagged using their Portfolio Visualizer analysis tool?
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

columbia
Posts: 1253
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:30 am

Re: Who has the highest allocation to international stocks?

Post by columbia » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:12 pm

One potential reason for VG to use a 60/40 in target date and life strategy funds (instead of VT) is a fairly cynical one (on my part):

That would cut into the AUM of the TSM classes and that might not be good PR.

User avatar
oldzey
Posts: 1124
Joined: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:38 pm
Location: Land of Lincoln

Re: Who has the highest allocation to international stocks?

Post by oldzey » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:41 pm

Who has the highest allocation to international stocks?

Not me. :beer
"The broker said the stock was 'poised to move.' Silly me, I thought he meant up." ― Randy Thurman

pascalwager
Posts: 1317
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:36 pm

Re: Who has the highest allocation to international stocks?

Post by pascalwager » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:22 pm

abuss368 wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:58 pm
pascalwager wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:35 pm
abuss368 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:42 pm
Cap weight is a moving target. Approximately 50% U.S. and 50% International. If the actual at any point in time is 55% U.S. / 45% International or 45% U.S. / 55% International, it would make no difference. We are dancing on the head of a needle.

Vanguard investment experts presently recommend 40% of stock to international and 30% of bonds to international for a global strategy. I would not be surprised if the stocks move to a 50% U.S and 50% International at some point.
I expect Vanguard to remain at 40% int'l for awhile. Its right in the middle of their recommended reasonable range of 30 to 50%. Yesterday I got flagged for holding 50.04% int'l.
Interesting. Were you flagged using their Portfolio Visualizer analysis tool?
No, I was using Vanguard Portfolio Watch and the identical flags were present under the Stock Analysis and Summary tab screens. They weren't the least bit accusatory; still, I knew a vague sense of unease and awoke in the morning...not quite refreshed. I'm expecting that after a day or two of US returns, those flags will go away.

User avatar
CaliJim
Posts: 3030
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:47 pm
Location: California, near the beach

Re: Who has the highest allocation to international stocks?

Post by CaliJim » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:10 am

what percentage of net profits for US companies comes from international business? Last I remember this being discussed, Jack talks about this in one of his books if I recall correctly, but it has been a while since I've read much of his works. Anyhow, it is a non-trivial percentage. So if you only own US companies, the larger companies have diversified product lines and diversified global distribution channels, and so they are somewhat buffered from between vagaries of the US economy and economic policies and their individual results benefit from this diversification. Which as some believe, is the only true free lunch. Although, when the US catches a cold the rest of the world catches the flu. without getting into global politics, which is verboten here, we are all on this beautiful blue spaceship earth and co-dependent on each other to keep it going smoothly. So...take care of the planet! :D reduce, recycle, reuse, rot (compost) repurpose.
https://swcoalition.org/2014/06/5-rs-su ... ot-refuse/
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki

Post Reply