Disciplined with finances, but not so with diet

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
unclescrooge

Re: Disciplined with finances, but not so with diet

Post by unclescrooge » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:17 pm

JaneyLH wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:26 pm
I had an ankle injury 5 years ago that has diminished my ability to exercise. I saw a nutritionist who advised me that as a post-menopausal woman who can't do a lot of exercise, the chances of my losing weight and maintaining were pretty much nil. (I am usually at 7000-8000 steps per day, more than that and I have to take mega doses of ibuprofen to cope).
Carful with the ibuprofen. Apparently there is some lifetime max consumption of a few pounds, beyond which it causes kidney failure.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:20 pm

seligsoj wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:00 pm
Any bogleheads any diet wisdom? I've always been disciplined with saving money but can't seem to apply the same discipline to my diet. I have tried weight watchers, Jenny Craig, beach body, keto, my fitness pal...I lack discipline and get hungry. Just this week I decided to start eating the same thing for breakfast and lunch (all healthy, clean foods) and prepping these meals ahead of time. I love exercising but can't always squeeze it in at night (working full time and have 2 young kids). I'm not terribly overweight but would look and feel better if I lost 15 pounds
I lost 12lbs last year. Instead of focusing on cutting foods, I added an avocado and a can of black beans a day.

The beans have a lot of fiber and the avocado a lot of fat. Both of which keep you full.

Trism

Post by Trism » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:49 am

delamer wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:30 pm
Trism wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:01 pm
300 calories for breakfast. Egg McMuffin.

560 calories for lunch. Big Mac.

900 calories for dinner. Chick-Fil-A sandwich and fries.

Coffee, diet sodas or water to drink.

I lost 40 pounds eating mainly fast food. There are better, more nutritious ways, of course, but it's really easy to keep track of your intake when the calories are printed right on the menu. And it doesn't take a lot of discipline to get all of your food from a drive-through window.
Did you look at the sodium content in addition to the calorie content?
No. I didn't look at sodium or fat. I didn't count carbs. I didn't avoid high-fructose corn syrup or eschew gluten, or even notice if the food had any nutritional value. I didn't check to see if Wendy's mayonnaise was higher in antioxidants than Burger King's. I didn't buy yoga pants. I didn't fill in the blank, I just lost 40 pounds using calorie info and math.

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:33 am

This is easy. I just did this. One day I decided that my metabolism was slowing down and something had to give. I’m not a health nut, but mostly eat healthy. I just decided I was not going to develop a larg(er) gut.

Figure out how many calories you should have in a day.

Then eat less than that.

I decided my caloric target was 2,000.

I kept breakfast under 250 (typically yogurt and fruit) and lunch under about 500 (soup or a small sandwich). This mainly meant small portions of fairly healthy food. If there different sizes, I always got the small.

For dinner, I’d have to approximate because we eat at home. But it’s healthlier and surely less calories than eating out.

I stayed away from fried stuff except once in a while. Water or milk to drink. Or juice cut with seltzer water. I watched my portions at dinner. I didn’t eat lunch at places that didn’t list the calories on the menu or website.

I still drink some beer regularly.

The first couple of months I was hungry after lunch and would occasionally have a handful or two of nuts. Fruit would do, too. After a few months, the hunger goes away.

I lost almost 30 lbs in about 9 months. My BMI a little high before and is in the normal range now. Other than those first couple of months, it barely feels like trying.

Simplest thing to do. The more difficult part is sticking to it (nearly) every day. Just do it.

Good luck,

JT

P.S. Boglehead bonus: Eating was cheaper this way, too!

Cycle

Post by Cycle » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:41 am

unclescrooge wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:20 pm

I lost 12lbs last year. Instead of focusing on cutting foods, I added an avocado and a can of black beans a day.

The beans have a lot of fiber and the avocado a lot of fat. Both of which keep you full.
This is a highly effective strategy. We just buy green avocados and let them ripen on the counter. The beans if rinsed with water allegedly will cut down on some of the flatulence.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way

Dontwasteit

Post by Dontwasteit » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:46 am

My slim and trim 97 year old uncle (He has a big appetite) drinks a 12oz glass of water 1st thing every morning and 2 more through out the day. Sure works for him!

CarpeDiem22

Post by CarpeDiem22 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:53 am

I once voluntarily lost 6.5 pounds in 10 days. I just ate absolutely nothing for 6-8 hours a day (forgot exact timing I was maintaining) and used to have my usual healthy food at other times of the day.

Contrary to popular belief, it is possible to gain weight on a healthy diet and lose weight eating sugar. What matters is calories you consume vs the energy you spend. Just like the philosophy of living below your means making people rich, if you consume less calories than you spend, no power in the world can prevent your body from losing weight and the losses compound with time. Another suggestion, very important to have at least 1 cheat meal a week to keep you on the track.

Edit: Forgot to add, keep yourself full by eating low-calorie foods. 500 grams of cabbage has same calories as 1 tablespoon of edible oil.

Dontwasteit

Post by Dontwasteit » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:00 am

The word "diet" to me means I am forced to do it. "Lifestyle change" to me means that I want to do it. It's just how I look at it.

Trism

Post by Trism » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:08 am

The other thing I did that was tremendously useful was weigh myself twice a day, once right after I got up, and again right before dinner.

I entered all of the values into an Excel spreadsheet, and after a couple of weeks I added a trend line.

Some will say weigh once a week, or even less often, but your body's rhythm isn't on that kind of cycle.

So, for example, I could weigh 220.0 one Sunday, behave all week, and still weigh 220.4 the following Sunday. If I weighed weekly this could be disheartening. But two days later in the evening I was 219.4.

The trend line showed what was really happening.

alpenglow

Post by alpenglow » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:18 am

carguyny wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:32 pm
Intermittent Fasting - take a look at some of the Thomas Delauer videos on youtube as a start. Lots of research on it and benefits to general health.

I would go with a 16 hour fast, 6 hour eating window to get started. For example - skip breakfast, time lunch so it's 6 hours before dinner and have dinner with family.

Overtime start to reduce things like sugars, carbs etc. Replace processed foods with unprocessed alternatives and just make changes you can stick to very incrementally.

Any major wholesale change is less likely to stick for the very long term.
This is exactly what I've done. Intermittent fasting has been amazing for me. I'm back to my high school weight (I'm in my 40s now) and feel great. Check out Dr. Jason Fung. I'm doing 16/8. I've also reduced processed foods, sugary treats, and (reluctantly) beer. Start with small habits and build up. Good luck.

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:21 am

seligsoj wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:00 pm
Any bogleheads any diet wisdom? I've always been disciplined with saving money but can't seem to apply the same discipline to my diet. I have tried weight watchers, Jenny Craig, beach body, keto, my fitness pal...I lack discipline and get hungry. Just this week I decided to start eating the same thing for breakfast and lunch (all healthy, clean foods) and prepping these meals ahead of time. I love exercising but can't always squeeze it in at night (working full time and have 2 young kids). I'm not terribly overweight but would look and feel better if I lost 15 pounds
I started to do the Plant based diet. No meat no dairy. Fish once in a while mostly when eating out.
Forks to Knives is a good place to start but then go to pintrest and search for recipes.
We do not do portion control, we eat until we are full. The first month I lot 15 lbs. By the fourth month I had to add a lower notch on my belt. I went from needing a 36 waist to being a 32. Its pretty easy to do, and the food taste great. Mentally I feel awesome so its a win win.
Veganism would be the religion, they are trying to constantly convert you and tell you why your eating is wrong. Plant based is more taking care of yourself and not worrying about what others eat.

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:22 am

Most replies here have to do with diet. But the truth is exercise. You have to make the time as in pay yourself first is in savings and investing. You can do it. There are very few success stories with weight that do not include some sort of exercise. You don't have to have a specific goal or plan to start. You have to get it going.

I watched Titan games last night. I like that stuff. I watch Ninja Warrior when it is on. I see the resolve those people have and the discipline and the work they put into it as featured on the personal stories. No one is having an easy time of it. They have jobs, kids, families. Just like you. It may sound hokey and only entertainment, yet it can motivate you, hopefully.
So, you need to get up and go. No one will do it for you. No one can.
I will say this, keeping to a diet requires just as much discipline as working out. You can do a little of both. Now get out there, no excuses. Because not getting on with it is full of excuses. If it was easy everyone would do it. They do not, as evidenced by the rising obesity rates in the US.
So you can be part of the usual crowd of dietary and exercise failures or you can be what you want to be.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:29 am

Trism wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:49 am
delamer wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:30 pm
Trism wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:01 pm
300 calories for breakfast. Egg McMuffin.

560 calories for lunch. Big Mac.

900 calories for dinner. Chick-Fil-A sandwich and fries.

Coffee, diet sodas or water to drink.

I lost 40 pounds eating mainly fast food. There are better, more nutritious ways, of course, but it's really easy to keep track of your intake when the calories are printed right on the menu. And it doesn't take a lot of discipline to get all of your food from a drive-through window.
Did you look at the sodium content in addition to the calorie content?
No. I didn't look at sodium or fat. I didn't count carbs. I didn't avoid high-fructose corn syrup or eschew gluten, or even notice if the food had any nutritional value. I didn't check to see if Wendy's mayonnaise was higher in antioxidants than Burger King's. I didn't buy yoga pants. I didn't fill in the blank, I just lost 40 pounds using calorie info and math.
This worked to lose the weight. What did you do to maintain the weight loss?

This high sodium diet worked in the short run, but in the long run it won't work because you'll be dead of heart disease of some sort.

You have a "two body" problem. 1. How do you lose the weight? There are tons of tricks/gimmicks to do this. 2. How do you maintain your ideal weight over the long haul? This is far tougher. Someone might lose 500 pounds in a year. -10, +10, -10, +10.

If I drink coconut oil for breakfast and eat an avacado for lunch and then have 26 oz of steak for supper (meat only) that might just get you to lose all the weight. Then you return to "normal" eating. The weight slowly comes back. Or maybe quickly comes back.

Very complicated topic. If you can figure out #1 and #2 you can stay at or near your goal weight for the long haul.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
"We are not here to agree with you; we are here to provoke thoughtfulness." Unknown Boglehead

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:38 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:22 am
Most replies here have to do with diet. But the truth is exercise.
You would think this is the case, but it is wrong. Unless you are exercising 5 or 6 hours a day, what you (don't) eat has a far greater impact on your weight.

Exercising has other benefits, of course.

JT

BarbBrooklyn

Post by BarbBrooklyn » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:42 am

Noom. Google it. I'm in my mid-60s and had really lost faith that I was ever going to be able to get back to a healthy weight ever again. I've lost 25 pounds. Lots of motivational stuff, lots of evidence-based information (dried fruits are NOT your friend!, who knew?)

It's not a diet; it's a way of living with food as a friend, not an enemy.
BarbBrooklyn | "The enemy of a good plan is the dream of a perfect plan."

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:50 am

After watching my son lose a hundred pounds in a year's time I am on what we have nicknamed the Costco diet. 3 eggs in the morning with one slice of whole-wheat toast or an English muffin dry. Lunch and dinner consist of 8 oz pulled Costco rotisserie chicken and one cup of cooked stir fry Costco Asian vegetables. Drink water throughout the day and go to Planet Fitness for an hour's worth of cardio and 40 minutes worth of weight lifting. I don't expect to lose a hundred pounds cuz he is much younger than I but since my blood levels are already in good shape they should only get even better. Costco chicken via the rotisserie Deli is cheaper than what I can cook it for it home when I factor in the seasonings and the fuel to cook it. We buy 8 to 10 at a time vacuum seal most of it.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:51 am

Cycle wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:12 pm
Dontwasteit wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:12 pm
I believe once you label it a diet, one is doomed to fail. It must be a considered a "Life style change" that you actually believe in. Like most things in life, you really must want to change or it most likely is doomed.
Wrong. I've heard that said many times on npr.

A diet is, "the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats." I'm on a diet along with every other breathing animal.

The correct thing to say is a "temporary diet to lose weight never works". If it's temporary, it's technically not even a diet... Since it's not really a habit if it only lasts a month.

Diets do work, it's how animals get food and convert that to energy that allows them to move and reproduce.
Dontwasteit is not really wrong. When the majority of folks say "I'm going on a on a diet" I don't need to break out a dictionary to know what they really mean is "I'm temporarily modifying my eating habits to lose wait". Compare that to someone that states "I'm making life style changes by changing what I eat and how much exercise is my daily routine." There is usually a mind-set difference with the nuances of these different phrasings that you won't necessarily find in the dictionary.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:58 am

For those that do the simple method of tracking daily calorie intake - is there an easy free app that you are using?

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:00 am

greg24 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:07 pm
When you find yourself playing on the floor with the kids, do 20 pushups. Then do it another 10 times.
I actually do this quite a bit. Challenge is the kids start to sit on your back and your all of a sudden pushing up an extra 20-40lbs. I also do this in my office at work, if I'm on a conference call where Im only listening, I'll do a set of 20 pushups. I know a few guys who actually have weights in their office and do this.

There is also the 'leftover kid diet'. Meaning you only eat whatever the kids don't eat on their plate, which is often more than what they eat....

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:05 am

CyclingDuo wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:15 pm

It really is simple.

Finances you simply have to spend less than you make and save the amount not spent. In other words, a money surplus.

Losing weight you simply have to eat less calories per day than your body requires. In other words, a caloric deficit.

In finances, you track your money (what comes in vs. what goes out).

When eating, you track your calories (what calories are taken in vs. how many calories are burned per day).

If you want to gain weight, you eat more calories per day than your body burns. If you want to lose weight, you eat fewer calories per day than your body burns.

If you can accurately count and weigh/measure your foods - you can lose weight.
I don't think it is that simple. Some people have bodies that are efficient at converting calories into fat. Some peoples bodies just poop out what is not needed. For simple calories in, vs calories burned accounting, you also have to consider the calories lost in your waste products. I'm lucky, my body excretes what it does not need. Not all people are that lucky. Maybe extra fiber would help?
I think the dieting to loose weight is crazy. Your body decides how much fat it wants to keep in reserve. Some people would basically have to starve them selves for years to loose much weight. And while doing that they would have to be careful to get the nutrients the body needs.
It is not just A-B. It A-B-C. Some people are naturally skinny, some people are naturally heavy. I'm lucky to be in between.

p.s. I'm on a strict diet. I try to eat every day.

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:24 am

GoldStar wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:58 am
For those that do the simple method of tracking daily calorie intake - is there an easy free app that you are using?
MyFitnessPal. I’ve been using it for years now. Started as a way to lose weight and now just a way to stay healthy, make sure I’m eating all the right nutrients and exercising.

I also agree that weighing yourself every morning helps.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:38 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
Most replies here have to do with diet. But the truth is exercise. You have to make the time as in pay yourself first is in savings and investing. You can do it. There are very few success stories with weight that do not include some sort of exercise.
I'm all about exercise, my BS and MS are in exercise-related areas (kinesiology and exercise physiology) and my PhD dissertation was investigating the effects of exercise on weight management (in high level - collegiate - athletes), but the old adage "you can't out-train a bad diet" is proven over and over and over again. Having worked with and investigated thousands of people on the quest to lose weight, I'd guesstimate that probably half of the successful ones did so with zero change in physical activity. I'd absolutely 10000% recommend one looking to improve their weight status and health to increase their physical activity, but it isn't compulsory.

getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:42 am

It's simple, but not easy, rather like budgeting. To save money, you have to live below your means. To lose weight, you need to eat less than you expend. The challenges are similar, too. To save money means forgoing spending now because of a future goal. To lose weight means forgoing eating now (and you have many years of evolution and food scarcity telling your body that eating is always good!) But in the end, it's just math, and every diet plan is in service to the end of making it easier to follow that math.

What works for me: breakfast of Greek yogurt, walnuts, and berries (+ banana or homemade muffin on days I work out); some kind of salad/plant-based dish for lunch; dinner with the family (lots of variety, but generally healthy.) No snacking after dinner. Try not to be dumb about snacking (this is hard sometimes.) I lift weights twice a week, swim twice a week, and do something active on the other two days. I'm the same (healthy) weight that I was in college, and I can wear clothes from then, too.

Intermittent fasting works very well for some people but would have me eating the walls (though no snacking after an early dinner gives me close to a 12-hour 'fast' anyway.) I'd recommend starting by logging everything you eat in My FitnessPal, and getting a food scale until you develop a good sense of portion sizes. Once you have a baseline, cut about 250-500 calories per day, and track your weight. If it's going in the right direction, keep doing what you're doing. If it's not, adjust. Slow and steady, just like dollar-cost averaging.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:49 am

Isabelle77 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:24 am
GoldStar wrote:
MyFitnessPal. I’ve been using it for years now. Started as a way to lose weight and now just a way to stay healthy, make sure I’m eating all the right nutrients and exercising.

Thanks - I am going to load it RIGHT NOW (so as not to fall into the "I'll start tomorrow" trap mentioned by someone above).

HomerJ

Post by HomerJ » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:51 am

Shallowpockets wrote:
Most replies here have to do with diet. But the truth is exercise. You have to make the time as in pay yourself first is in savings and investing. You can do it. There are very few success stories with weight that do not include some sort of exercise. You don't have to have a specific goal or plan to start. You have to get it going.
Both are important but eating less is more useful than exercising more for weight loss.

But yes, one absolutely should exercise as part of it. 10,000 steps a day alone is a good chunk of it. Throw in a few 5-minute weight exercises, and you're golden. You don't have to go crazy with exercise to lose weight.
The J stands for Jay

Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:51 am

I am modifying my reply. It is exercise and diet. If you have to do one, it would be exercise. There is a feel good and subsequent motivation in the doing of exercise. It makes you feel good about yourself. A diet is a restriction. A privation.
I know vegans who are overweight, obese.
On the other hand I know people without any weight problem and no exercise who, one could say, "you could kick sand in their face".

But, for the OP, his problem is motivation and discipline as noted in his post. Any diets, any execise, will be lost on the undisciplined person. As others have noted it is also a lifestyle change. Temporary on either diet or exercise will have you falling back to the same same.
People need to move now before their extra 15# becomes the norm and next year they are another 15# overweight. and they see that as only 15# when it is really 30# by then.
Almost every successful story of weight loss has a large component of exercise. And, a huge componenet of discipline.

CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:54 am

dknightd wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:05 am
I don't think it is that simple. Some people have bodies that are efficient at converting calories into fat. Some peoples bodies just poop out what is not needed. For simple calories in, vs calories burned accounting, you also have to consider the calories lost in your waste products. I'm lucky, my body excretes what it does not need. Not all people are that lucky. Maybe extra fiber would help?
I think the dieting to loose weight is crazy. Your body decides how much fat it wants to keep in reserve. Some people would basically have to starve them selves for years to loose much weight. And while doing that they would have to be careful to get the nutrients the body needs.
It is not just A-B. It A-B-C. Some people are naturally skinny, some people are naturally heavy. I'm lucky to be in between.

I'm not going to disagree that there indeed is a small portion of the population with conditions/issues that CICO may not apply to as well as it does for the majority of the human population. Thyroid conditions, ovary syndrome, testosterone decline, diabetes, etc... all need to be addressed and mitigated. For the majority - as in the rest of us - if you eat less than your body needs per day, you will lose weight. If you eat more than your body needs, you will gain weight. If you eat at or very near the daily needs for your body in terms of calories, you will maintain your current weight. Counting calories requires simple math and reveals more than many want revealed if they actually apply the truth via the discipline of counting and tracking. Ditto for our finances!

CICO...

https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-life ... t-20048065

Losing weight eating "dirty calories"...

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/tw ... index.html

MyFitnessPal is an excellent resource and is devoted to all matters with regard to diet, exercise, weight loss, weight gain, weight maintenance, cutting, bulking for muscle, etc... . Directing interested BH members there is probably a much more beneficial outcome to any argument than the subject being resolved here.
"Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time." ~ Steven Wright

delamer

Post by delamer » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:56 am

GoldStar wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:49 am
Isabelle77 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:24 am
GoldStar wrote:

Thanks - I am going to load it RIGHT NOW (so as not to fall into the "I'll start tomorrow" trap mentioned by someone above).
“Lose It!” is good too. Love being able to scan UPC codes to get calories in a serving.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:00 am

What worked for me is using myfitnesspal to track calories, keeping busy after work so you don't notice you are hungry, tracking my weight vs calorie input on a spreadsheet, and reading lots of reddit.com/r/fatlogic.

When you track your calories, any new lower calorie diet will naturally gravitate towards low carbs. Thats because when you only have 1700 calories in a day, using 150 of them on a bun or cup of rice, or a few french fries will quickly seem like a waste of calories.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:07 am

dknightd wrote:

Got any science behind any of these claims? I'd be willing to bet if you (or anyone else that makes these claims as a reason for not being able to lose weight) accurately tracked your calories eaten every day for a month or two you'd be eating within a hundred or two to what is normal for your height, weight, and activity level. Exceptions don't prove the rule.

unclescrooge

Post by unclescrooge » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:25 am

Cycle wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:41 am
unclescrooge wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:20 pm

This is a highly effective strategy. We just buy green avocados and let them ripen on the counter. The beans if rinsed with water allegedly will cut down on some of the flatulence.
I can attest to that :mrgreen:

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:27 am

barnaclebob wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:07 am
dknightd wrote:

Got any science behind any of these claims? I'd be willing to bet if you (or anyone else that makes these claims as a reason for not being able to lose weight) accurately tracked your calories eaten every day for a month or two you'd be eating within a hundred or two to what is normal for your height, weight, and activity level. Exceptions don't prove the rule.
Yes, some people are naturally skinny, some people are naturally heavy and there are other factors than simply calories-in-calories-out, but I doubt that evolution and genetic variation is the reason why people today are 4x more at risk for obesity than they were in 1950.

There is absolutely merit to the theory of a genetic "set point", but (dknightd) you would be shocked how you could change your body if you altered you eating habits. In the winter of 2002 I was just finishing up my college football career; at 6'1" I was a 265lbs 3-4 OLB. Strong, but I was easily 25%+ bodyfat. I was always a big kid, I first cracked 200lbs. at 11yrs old. I decided that I had no need to carry all that weight anymore and changed my eating habits, virtually nothing else about my daily life changed (I actually exercised less), and by the summer of 2003 I was ~210lbs. and <10% bodyfat. Today, I'm lighter and even leaner than I was then.

JimMolony

Post by JimMolony » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:30 am

I'm a spreadsheet geek. So I record everything for each month in a different tab. I record all calories for breakfast, lunch, dinner (no snacks). Then I subtract all my negative/exercise calories. I range from net calories of 500-1400 calories per day. I've lost 30 pounds in 5 months. If I want to eat more, no problem -- I exercise longer/harder to burn more calories.

I reach a plateau and still need to lose 10-15 pounds. Working on all natural food via Mediterranean type of diet. Seems to be working.

It's really about changing your life. I read every package for calories before buying at grocery store. I don't want to waste any calories on non-filling or low protein food.

Good luck.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:31 am

barnaclebob wrote:
dknightd wrote:

Nope. No proof. I'm not trying to loose or gain weight. Just casual observation. If you want to loose weight eat less and exercise more. Just recognise that all bodies are different.
For the record I'm 6 foot tall and weigh about 180 lbs. I think in the "acceptable" range. But like I said, I'm probably lucky

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:31 am

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:27 am
barnaclebob wrote:
dknightd wrote:

Yes, some people are naturally skinny, some people are naturally heavy and there are other factors than simply calories-in-calories-out, but I doubt that evolution and genetic variation is the reason why people today are 4x more at risk for obesity than they were in 1950.

There is absolutely merit to the theory of a genetic "set point", but (dknightd) you would be shocked how you could change your body if you altered you eating habits. In the winter of 2002 I was just finishing up my college football career; at 6'1" I was a 265lbs 3-4 OLB. Strong, but I was easily 25%+ bodyfat. I was always a big kid, I first cracked 200lbs. at 11yrs old. I decided that I had no need to carry all that weight anymore and changed my eating habits, virtually nothing else about my daily life changed (I actually exercised less), and by the summer of 2003 I was ~210lbs. and <10% bodyfat. Today, I'm lighter and even leaner than I was then.
No genetics expert -- but "genetics" rarely change in one or two generations. We have the same genes as our parents and grandparents.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:43 am

dm200 wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:31 am
stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:27 am
barnaclebob wrote:
dknightd wrote:

No genetics expert -- but "genetics" rarely change in one or two generations. We have the same genes as our parents and grandparents.
That was my point, I was being facetious. Rates of obesity have grown 4-fold worldwide in the last 60 years due to lifestyle factors.

dknightd

Post by dknightd » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:53 am

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:43 am

That was my point, I was being facetious. Rates of obesity have grown 4-fold worldwide in the last 60 years due to lifestyle factors.
I could be wrong, probably am, but I suspect what has been defined as "obesity" have changed over the years.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:00 pm

dknightd wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:53 am
stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:43 am

I could be wrong, probably am, but I suspect what has been defined as "obesity" have changed over the years.
Obesity has been defined as a BMI over 30 since BMI was first developed as a metric...in 1830. Don't get me started on the (ir)relevance of BMI, but the point remains that people are at exponentially higher risk to have excess weight which negatively impacts their health than those just two generations ago.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:05 pm

Another issue of "genetics" is that when folks from populations where body weight is excellent move to the US and adopt a more US "lifestyle", their body weight tend to move to the US average within a generation or two.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:18 pm

bottlecap wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:38 am
Shallowpockets wrote:
You would think this is the case, but it is wrong. Unless you are exercising 5 or 6 hours a day, what you (don't) eat has a far greater impact on your weight.

JT
If you are exercising 5 hours/day you aren't exercising hard enough.:) You will find just about zero people who run for an hour or bike hard for 90mins that have major weight problems. Yes it is easier to eat 4k calories than burn off 4k but we are dealing with the marginal changes. If right now you are gaining 5lbs/year, Adding 30 mins/day 3x week of aerobic exercise is enough to get you back in balance. You might find that easier than cutting out food.

For most people it is a combo of the 2. You burn another 500 calories/day by exercising and you cut out 500 by cutting out crap calorically dense calories (i.e. beer, ice cream, heavy use of milk and sauces,...).

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:22 pm

Hey, stoptothink, can you entertain this, perhaps, stupid question that has been at the back of my mind for some time? People with cancer often suffer from a wasting disease/process called cachexia. People with autoimmune diseases sometimes suffer from a milder version of the same disease/process. Although the aetiology of cachexia does not seem to be fully understood (best I can determine, anyway), it seems that some component of the underlying disease process triggers even more inflammation in the body via the release of cytokines, such as TNF-a, which, in turn, causes weight loss. I'm curious if this is an area of research for obesity scientists, i.e., are they studying cachexia to determine if some form of it -- some, perhaps, healthy (or, at least, not unhealthy) form of it -- is present in the naturally skinny people you mention up-thread? Stated another way, could obesity be caused, in part, by an underactive immune system and/or natural skinniness be caused by a somewhat hyperactive immune system?

I'm curious because I am one of those naturally skinny people who has always -- even now in middle age -- been able to eat whatever I want in any amount I want without gaining weight. I've even had people -- college roommates and the like -- challenge me over the years to eating contests, i.e., me and competitors eat the same thing and live basically the same lifestyle for a period of time and then have a weigh-in at the end. I always win -- they gain weight, I don't. These were not controlled trials, obviously, but still. I learned later in life that I do suffer from an inflammatory disease -- not autoimmune, but immune-mediated. So I'm curious if my natural skinniness is related to that condition. And I've always been skeptical of the first-rule-of-thermodynamics-calories-in-versus-calories-out "cure" for obesity as a result of my experience.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:26 pm

randomguy wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:18 pm
bottlecap wrote:
Shallowpockets wrote:

JT
If you are exercising 5 hours/day you aren't exercising hard enough.:) You will find just about zero people who run for an hour or bike hard for 90mins that have major weight problems. Yes it is easier to eat 4k calories than burn off 4k but we are dealing with the marginal changes. If right now you are gaining 5lbs/year, Adding 30 mins/day 3x week of aerobic exercise is enough to get you back in balance. You might find that easier than cutting out food.

For most people it is a combo of the 2. You burn another 500 calories/day by exercising and you cut out 500 by cutting out crap calorically dense calories (i.e. beer, ice cream, heavy use of milk and sauces,...).
Have you ever seen the starting line of a marathon? In general, they tend to be only slightly less "hefty" than the general population. I know several people who have completed Ironman triathlons who are obese.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:30 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
dknightd wrote:

There have been studies where they have feed people crazy amounts of calories and got vastly different weight gains. Some people lost 2lbs. Others gained 20lbs. But all of these studies are pretty short term. What the body does over a 6-12 week study misses all the adaptations that take place over time. And there is some evidence that we can permanently change our bodies by our prior actions and some of those changes might be irreversible.

Yes your body determines how much to fat to keep. But you can change how much fat you want your body to hang on to. Your body adapts to the environment it is in.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:36 pm

Rupert wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:22 pm
Hey, stoptothink, can you entertain this, perhaps, stupid question that has been at the back of my mind for some time? People with cancer often suffer from a wasting disease/process called cachexia. People with autoimmune diseases sometimes suffer from a milder version of the same disease/process. Although the aetiology of cachexia does not seem to be fully understood (best I can determine, anyway), it seems that some component of the underlying disease process triggers even more inflammation in the body via the release of cytokines, such as TNF-a, which, in turn, causes weight loss. I'm curious if this is an area of research for obesity scientists, i.e., are they studying cachexia to determine if some form of it -- some, perhaps, healthy (or, at least, not unhealthy) form of it -- is present in the naturally skinny people you mention up-thread? Stated another way, could obesity be caused, in part, by an underactive immune system and/or natural skinniness be caused by a somewhat hyperactive immune system?

I'm curious because I am one of those naturally skinny people who has always -- even now in middle age -- been able to eat whatever I want in any amount I want without gaining weight. I've even had people -- college roommates and the like -- challenge me over the years to eating contests, i.e., me and competitors eat the same thing and live basically the same lifestyle for a period of time and then have a weigh-in at the end. I always win -- they gain weight, I don't. These were not controlled trials, obviously, but still. I learned later in life that I do suffer from an inflammatory disease -- not autoimmune, but immune-mediated. So I'm curious if my natural skinniness is related to that condition. And I've always been skeptical of the first-rule-of-thermodynamics-calories-in-versus-calories-out "cure" for obesity as a result of my experience.
There is no way for me to say for certain whether your inflammatory condition is associated with your inherent thin-ness. It's simply not my area of expertise or one that I have done a ton of research on (although I myself was diagnosed with Hashimoto's in November of last year, so I am familiarizing myself with immune-related conditions).

Every individual is different and we all respond to nutritional input (and physical exertion) in different ways. Also, there is some definite merit to the 'set point theory" https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... y_weight_1. Furthermore, there also is a small (maybe 10%) percentage of the population that has underlying health issues which dramatically influence their ability to lose or gain weight. That being said, calories-in-calories out is the simplest and most efficacious rule that science has discovered. By just manipulating caloric intake, the large majority of individuals (maybe 85%) can manipulate their weight status.
Last edited by stoptothink on Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

randomguy

Post by randomguy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:38 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:26 pm
randomguy wrote:
bottlecap wrote:
Shallowpockets wrote:

JT

Have you ever seen the starting line of a marathon? In general, they tend to be only slightly less "hefty" than the general population. I know several people who have completed Ironman triathlons who are obese.
Yep. And the rows of people running an hour/day for say 3 years (i.e. long enough for the body to adapt to the demands you place on it) are really skinny. The fact that people run marathons while training less than 1 hour/day doesn't change that.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:40 pm

randomguy wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:38 pm
stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:26 pm
randomguy wrote:
bottlecap wrote:
Shallowpockets wrote:

JT

Yep. And the rows of people running an hour/day for say 3 years (i.e. long enough for the body to adapt to the demands you place on it) are really skinny. The fact that people run marathons while training less than 1 hour/day doesn't change that.
Our experience and perception is certainly different. And don't get me started on the negative health impacts of training hours a day.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:51 pm

stoptothink wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:36 pm
Rupert wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:22 pm

There is no way for me to say for certain whether your inflammatory condition is associated with your inherent thin-ness. It's simply not my area of expertise or one that I have done a ton of research on (although I myself was diagnosed with Hashimoto's in November of last year, so I am familiarizing myself with immune-related conditions).

Every individual is different and we all respond to nutritional input (and physical exertion) in different ways. Also, there is some definite merit to the 'set point theory" https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... y_weight_1. Furthermore, there also is a small (maybe 10%) percentage of the population that has underlying health issues which dramatically influence their ability to lose or gain weight. That being said, calories-in-calories out is the simplest and most efficacious rule that science has discovered. By just manipulating caloric intake, the large majority of individuals (maybe 85%) can manipulate their weight status.
Sorry, didn't mean to suggest that I was asking for a diagnosis (which I don't need as I'm not an unhealthy weight.) I'm just curious, as an intellectual matter, to know if this is an area of study. I'll follow the link you've provided. Thanks.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:11 pm

The key to success is not a greater willpower but complete avoidance; see the article "The myth of self-control," https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/ ... ology-myth that includes several food examples.

If you decide to limit alcohol, don't keep any alcohol at home and have it only when you go out.
If you decide to limit junk food, don't keep any junk at home. None.
If you are trying keto, get rid of all carbs. All of them.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:15 pm

Housedoc wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:50 am
After watching my son lose a hundred pounds in a year's time I am on what we have nicknamed the Costco diet. 3 eggs in the morning with one slice of whole-wheat toast or an English muffin dry. Lunch and dinner consist of 8 oz pulled Costco rotisserie chicken and one cup of cooked stir fry Costco Asian vegetables. Drink water throughout the day and go to Planet Fitness for an hour's worth of cardio and 40 minutes worth of weight lifting. I don't expect to lose a hundred pounds cuz he is much younger than I but since my blood levels are already in good shape they should only get even better. Costco chicken via the rotisserie Deli is cheaper than what I can cook it for it home when I factor in the seasonings and the fuel to cook it. We buy 8 to 10 at a time vacuum seal most of it.
That’s an extreme ketogenic diet. One slice of whole wheat toast is just 12 grams of carbohydrate, and non-root vegetables add little more. No need to eat the same things every day, and adding fat would be healthier.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:20 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:11 pm
The key to success is not a greater willpower but complete avoidance; see the article "The myth of self-control," https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/ ... ology-myth that includes several food examples.

If you decide to limit alcohol, don't keep any alcohol at home and have it only when you go out.
If you decide to limit junk food, don't keep any junk at home. None.
If you are trying keto, get rid of all carbs. All of them.

Victoria
Great post. James Clear and Eric Geitner have written some really good stuff about the self-control myth (not necessarily food or health-related). Controlling my environment is my "secret".