TD Ameritrade Money Market Options

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
WesternRoad

TD Ameritrade Money Market Options

Post by WesternRoad » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:37 pm

Vanguard Prime Money Market Fund (VMMXX) sounds good for safe investment at a current yield of 2.4-plus and low expenses. However, at TD Ameritrade, the commission fee seems around $50 for every trade of a no-load fund. I've tried (as something of a novice) to find a non-fee money market fund with similar yield on TDA's NTF mutual fund list, but it is pretty difficult to navigate, for me at least. Does anyone know of an NTF money market fund at TDA with a decent current yield? Thanks and best wishes. . . .

whodidntante

Re: TD Ameritrade Money Market Options

Post by whodidntante » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:39 pm

Welcome to the forum.

BIL, FLRN, USFR, and JPST are all reasonable commission free options if you don't mind ETFs. They are not MMFs, but ultrashort bond funds. I don't think TDA is a good brokerage if you are going to transact in MMFs.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:41 pm

WesternRoad wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:37 pm
Vanguard Prime Money Market Fund (VMMXX) sounds good for safe investment at a current yield of 2.4-plus and low expenses. However, at TD Ameritrade, the commission fee seems around $50 for every trade of a no-load fund. I've tried (as something of a novice) to find a non-fee money market fund with similar yield on TDA's NTF mutual fund list, but it is pretty difficult to navigate, for me at least. Does anyone know of an NTF money market fund at TDA with a decent current yield? Thanks and best wishes. . . .
Are you already a TDAmeritrade client? Why not call them up and ask them (bypass their web site)?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

neilpilot

Post by neilpilot » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:42 pm

My accounts were with Scottrade before they were acquired by TDA. If you happen to also be a former Scottrade customer, TDA should grandfather you at the former Scottrade mutual fund commission of $17/trade.

slippingsloth

Post by slippingsloth » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:15 am

Agree TDA does not make it easy to find NTF money market options. Can’t sort or filter by that type of fund for my guess the cynical reason to keep people in the poor sweep fund

Topic Author
WesternRoad

Post by WesternRoad » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:36 pm

Thank you all for the good advice.

RIMDBogle

Post by RIMDBogle » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:50 pm

I find the following money market funds as no load & NTF.

Here is how I found these. Go to Mutual Fund ==> Family ==> Money Market from research tab after logging in.

After sorting yield (descending order), Move cursor over ticker symbol. It will show No load, NTF along with quote.

Federated Institutional Prime Value Obligations Fund Institutional Shares PVOXX EXP 0.49% 7 Day Yield 2.54%

MONEY MKT OBLIGS TR PRIME CASH INS PCOXX Exp 0.33% 7 Day Yield 2.47%

MONEY MKT OBLIGS TR FED PRMVAL OBLCP PVCXX Exp 0.74% 7 Day Yield 2.44%

MONEY MKT OBLIGS TR FED PRMCA OBLCAP PCCXX Exp 0.58% 7 Day Yield 2.37%

MONEY MKT OBLIGS TR FED PRMVAL OBLSV PVSXX Exp 0.74% 7 Day Yield 2.29%

MONEY MKT OBLIGS TR FED PRM CA OBLSV PRCXX Exp 0.58% 7 Day Yield 2.22%

Are these MM worth looking ?

Thanks for sharing.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:39 pm

RIMDBogle wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:50 pm
Federated Institutional Prime Value Obligations Fund Institutional Shares PVOXX EXP 0.49% 7 Day Yield 2.54%

MONEY MKT OBLIGS TR PRIME CASH INS PCOXX Exp 0.33% 7 Day Yield 2.47%

MONEY MKT OBLIGS TR FED PRMVAL OBLCP PVCXX Exp 0.74% 7 Day Yield 2.44%

MONEY MKT OBLIGS TR FED PRMCA OBLCAP PCCXX Exp 0.58% 7 Day Yield 2.37%

MONEY MKT OBLIGS TR FED PRMVAL OBLSV PVSXX Exp 0.74% 7 Day Yield 2.29%

MONEY MKT OBLIGS TR FED PRM CA OBLSV PRCXX Exp 0.58% 7 Day Yield 2.22%

Are these MM worth looking ?
I see a minimum investment of 500 grand. But why buy one, when you can buy two for twice the price?

CRTR

Post by CRTR » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:34 pm

Saw this post and thought I'd see if I could help. I sent an email, requesting a list of NTF Money Market mutual funds because I was unable to find that info on their site. For fun I checked Etrade, Schwab and Vanguard. I easily completed the search online with Etrade. Couldn't do it with either Schwab or Vanguard screeners. I called customer service for both firms, and they offered to email me a link/list the same day.

I had a couple accounts at TDAmeritrade some years back but moved them due to terrible customer service. I still have my HSA there. I guess I wasn't surprised by their response . . . . some things just don't change . . .

"Hello XXXX,

Thank you for your e-mail. As it is not a website capability to search for Money Market funds that are also No Transaction Fees, we will not be able to provide a list as there are 300+ funds. We can do this research for you but there is a research fee of $60 per hour of research.

Let us know if you would like us to do this for you.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us via secure email, or call toll-free at 866-766-4015, Monday through Friday, 8am to 7pm Eastern Standard Time (excluding market holidays).

As always, we greatly appreciate your business and thank you for choosing TD Ameritrade.

Thank you,

XXXXXXXXXX
Inst. SDPS Trading, WMS Participant Services"
Last edited by CRTR on Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:38 pm

I suppose we could do this research for you. First, I would just find on the web ALL the MM funds paying over 2%. There must be a list somewhere. Then I would eliminate some that would not be NTF at TDAmeritrade such as all the Vanguard ones, the Fidelity ones, ....

Then I would just start at the top and try to buy what you wanted which would tell you if it was NTF and see if it work

gclancer

Post by gclancer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:39 pm

The answer is NPLXX - there is a $2,500 minimum. It is the lowest minimum NTF MM Fund that TD offers.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:40 pm

gclancer wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:39 pm
The answer is NPLXX - there is a $2,500 minimum. It is the lowest minimum NTF MM Fund that TD offers.
You should bill TDA customer service for your research fee.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:47 pm

NPLXX may not exist anymore. :)

gclancer

Post by gclancer » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:50 pm

livesoft wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:47 pm
NPLXX may not exist anymore. :)
You get what you pay for! My research is six months old or so.

FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:51 pm

If you have enough assets there, you can get put with the Private Client Services and have access to some MM funds just under 2% that work as your sweep account.

Vegomatic

Post by Vegomatic » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:01 pm

SoundMoneyInvesting, by Joseph Slife [https://soundmindinvesting.com/about-sm ... seph-slife]

It’s Complicated (in Some Cases): Finding a Suitable Money-Market Fund [UPDATED], 10-08-2018
https://soundmindinvesting.com/articles ... arket-fund

In section beginning in the middle of the page [Slogging through TD Ameritrade's MMF data], suggests that PCOXX might qualify.

And, FWIW, Morningstar notes it's availability at [TD Ameritrade NTF]. See below.
http://financials.morningstar.com/fund/ ... ountry=usa

You can use the Mutual Fund Screener (see below) at Federated to find Tax Exempt money market funds (by eye, look for "XX" in symbol.)
One of these - for example - is MOFXX, which is listed by M* as a NTF fund, here:
http://financials.morningstar.com/fund/ ... ture=en-US

Maybe it also 'works' @ TD?

Federated Mutual Fund Screener
https://www.federatedinvestors.com/products.do

Check [Liquidity] in [Asset Class] drop-down box
AND
Check [Municipal/Tax Free] in [Category] drop-down box
THEN
Press the [APPLY FILTERS] button at right

You get 9 Federated Tax Exempt MM funds, listed below. Perhaps these are also NTF and 'reasonable' @ TD?

Code: Select all

CALXX	California Municipal Cash Trust	
GAMXX	Georgia Municipal Cash Trust	
FTFXX	Institutional Tax-Free Cash Trust	
MAWXX	Massachusetts Municipal Cash Trust	
MOFXX	Municipal Obligations Fund	
NISXX	New York Municipal Cash Trust	
PAMXX	Pennsylvania Municipal Cash Trust	
TBIXX	Tax-Free Obligations Fund	
VCSXX	Virginia Municipal Cash Trust
Similarly, you can play around with the filter (using only the [Asset Class] drop down box, = Liquidity) to get a list that includes the "regular" non-tax exempt MM funds. A USTreasury MM fund is TOIXX.

http://financials.morningstar.com/fund/ ... ture=en-US
https://www.federatedinvestors.com/prod ... ions/is.do