Newspapers / News Subscriptions

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Rainier

Newspapers / News Subscriptions

Post by Rainier » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:39 pm

I never got my news from FB, and have deleted my account but I do use Twitter often for breaking news and topics of interest. I actually spend too much time on Twitter and would like to use it much less or delete it. I just finished a book about why you should delete social media and one thing that stuck out was the tendency to only follow the views that you care about and ignore everything else. On Twitter I am guilty of that.

My question is what does everybody do for news? Do you pay for any subscriptions? If so, what is the best value? What is the most efficient way to consume the media? I am okay with paying for content.

My thoughts were:

NYT - digital (paid)
The Economist - paper (paid), tough call, gets pricey after the intro offer
BBC - digital (free)
Special interest magazines - a few paid subscriptions for my hobbies

DTalos

Re: Newspapers / News Subscriptions

Post by DTalos » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:57 pm

I'm old fashioned and still enjoy reading a physical newspaper. Saturday and Sunday usually have expanded sports sections and it's useful to have all the television listings of sports games on one page, so it is convenient to have on the coffee table. I used to receive my neighbor's daily major metro newspaper everyday, but he died last week. What is prohibiting me from subscribing to the metro's major newspaper is having to supply your credit card number or bank account number with the clause that when the good deal promo ends, the subscription will automatically continue at the regular rate unless notified and they will charge your credit card or bank account who knows how long before the promo period ends. Customer service departments of newspapers in general get horrible reviews on billing issues. If there was a way to subscribe without an automatic payment term, it would be great. I would even be happy paying by money order monthly, but there is no way I would give out my credit card or bank account information and not know when or how much is going to be charged. I've also heard that some newspapers bill you exorbitant amounts for "premium editions" and the Thanksgiving edition.

voanews.com (Voice of America) is non-partisan and free.

Caveat emptor on paid subscriptions!

fru-gal

Post by fru-gal » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:57 pm

I read the BBC. I look at the nytimes front page, but they lost my regard when they engaged in blatant news fixing about politics and still do, so I mainly use them to find out about non political things. I follow a couple of local reporters on facebook. The local news sites are too cluttered with ads to read.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:59 pm

NASIOC OT

Always the first for any breaking news.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:03 pm

The NY Times has discounted introductory subscriptions now, $2/week for one year.
The Washington Post has a deal for Amazon Prime members, $3.99/month.
Both great papers!

SrGrumpy

Post by SrGrumpy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:25 pm

The WSJ offers a free 1-year subscription to the Times (of London). That is a monster deal. I use it a lot for the genealogical research on the archive, going back to 1785.

JaneyLH

Post by JaneyLH » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:29 pm

Free - USA Today and CNN. Both give me the breaking news.

When I can get a deal, I subscribe to either the Washington Post or the New York Times digital editions. My WP just ran out so now I'm on the NYT special.

Post by 123 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:40 pm

We get Wall Street Journal print and local metropolitan paper in print. (We also get digitals of preceeding)

We have digital only subscriptions to New York Times and metropolitan paper from previous residence.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:44 pm

Back in the day, i use to buy a couple of newspapers each day. Now I pay to read three newspapers online. The monthly cost is actually cheaper than when I use to buy the daily newspapers. The bonus is no newsprint ink on my fingers.
Best Wishes, | Joe

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:45 pm

I drive down to the local store every Sunday and get a paper for $2. I used to have home delivery but it was getting ridiculously expensive.

I read the Apple news app on my iPad, Yahoo Finance, Daily Mail Online, and the local newspaper online app for news during the week. Local news and CBS News most weekday mornings and occasionally the nightly news. No Facebook, no Twitter. I do use Snapchat.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:48 pm

NYTimes- digital, academic discount, $10/month
WSJ- digital access for free via a Facebook link (works 75% of the time)
Guardian- Free but I donate $10 a month, worth it to get a non-US perspective
Economist- download for free from the local library
London Review of Books- $35 a year, get it in print
NewYorker- download for free from the library
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

onourway

Post by onourway » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:52 pm

Academic digital subscription to the NYT at less than $100/yr.
Academic free subscription to the WSJ digital edition
The Economist digital edition free from my local library

Reddit for everything else the Internet has to offer.

That’s more than I have time for.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:52 pm

NYT digital- paid subscription.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:01 pm

I subscribe to the following news publications:

WSJ digital ($4/month educational rate)
Washington Post digital ($4/month through Amazon Prime)
The Athletic ($29/year educational rate) (sports journalism)
Reason magazine (print and Kindle) ($14.97/year through Amazon)

I also listen to two daily news podcasts, one in French from RFI and one in Spanish from Radio Japan. (The Radio Japan podcast is also available in French and other languages, but the content is basically the same.) They are each about 10 minutes and offer very different perspectives on what is important in the world.

I do still check my Twitter feed for news sometimes. I follow a lot of news outlets and journalists around the globe, so I'm unlikely to miss anything important.

MN-Investor

Post by MN-Investor » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:02 pm

I have paid digital subscriptions to the Washington Post, New York Times, and the Minneapolis StarTribune. I could just read the StarTribune from my library access, but I like supporting the local newspaper.
The key to success - Save early, save often, invest well.

Svensk Anga

Post by Svensk Anga » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:08 pm

"If you don't read the newspaper you are uninformed, if you do read the newspaper you are misinformed."
...Mark Twain

Everything you read in newspapers is absolutely true, except for the rare story of which you happen to have first-hand knowledge. – Erwin Knoll

The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers. – Thomas Jefferson

I find very little actionable in the news. More and more I question how much of it is trustworthy or slanted or just left out because it does not comport to the editor's agenda. I used to read news so that I could be an informed voter, but the effort to value ratio is just too poor. My informed vote is swamped in a sea of uninformed votes. I don't bother with the news any more.

scubadiver

Post by scubadiver » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:12 pm

The WSJ print and digital.

Halicar

Post by Halicar » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:29 pm

I pay for online subscriptions to the NYT, WSJ, and WaPo, plus an additional subscription to the NYT crossword. Those and Arts & Letters Daily www.aldaily.com provide more than enough reading material.

Dantes

Post by Dantes » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:37 pm

I pay for digital access to the New York Times, Washington Post, Boston Globe. I don't read all three everyday, but in the course of a week all have different stories I am interested in. And delivery for the local newspaper. These threads come up every so often, and the responses are always the same; some people pay, some people are content with what they get fed for free.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:47 pm

Wall Street Journal in print. I don't need anything else.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs