Comcast didn't deliver as promised

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
A440

Comcast didn't deliver as promised

Post by A440 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:31 pm

I spoke with a "We're On it" CSR in December (I have his name and date I talked with him). He told me I can receive another year's promotion of Internet only at $29.99 a month and it would begin in January.
Well it's not January and the bill is a higher amount, not what was promised.
I asked for a reference # but was told I didn't need one.
I believe the conversation was recorded on Comcast's end.
How should I go about making sure I get what was promised? File a FCC complaint? Escalate it further with Comcast? Dispute the charge on my credit card?

hicabob

Re: Comcast didn't deliver as promised

Post by hicabob » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:36 pm

In the future I'd recommend always using the "chat" function to communicate with comcast/cell phone companies/etc . This enables you to have a copy of what was discussed.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:54 pm

What’s your billing cycle?

Your probably called Comcast after the December billing date when the January invoice was already generated.

The difference should be credited to your account and should show up on your next bill.

However, if you don’t want to wait, call again and give them the name of the employee who gave you the promo rate.

There is no need to be upset. Next time, get the employee’s ID and a confirmation number.

Good luck.

ilisira

Post by ilisira » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:03 pm

hicabob wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:36 pm
In the future I'd recommend always using the "chat" function to communicate with comcast/cell phone companies/etc . This enables you to have a copy of what was discussed.
We are on it is a little bit different, I do not think they have chat version (the whole idea is finding the right person on the phone without any wait). OP, did you have a chance to ping Comcast, and ask them? As another commenter suggested, this might just be a timing issue with your billing cycle.

https://www.theverge.com/2014/8/7/59718 ... yees-cards

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:03 pm

hicabob wrote:
+1 I never communicate with cable companies via spoken word.

delamer

Post by delamer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:20 pm

barnaclebob wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:03 pm
hicabob wrote:
+1 I never communicate with cable companies via spoken word.
With Verizon chats, you can print the whole thing once you sign off.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:26 pm

How much higher?

The promotional rates are just the "rate" and not the fees, rentals, taxes, more fees. If it were under $50, you'd probably find that you are indeed getting the $29.99 rate.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Post by 123 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:49 pm

Have you checked for a confirming email from Comcast/Xfinity after your conversation with the CSR? The last couple of times I had any dealings with Xfinity where a change to my billing was involved I got a confirming email not long after the call was completed. That email might have details on the effective date of any change etc.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

mhadden1

Post by mhadden1 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:53 pm

This post gets my vote for "Least Surprising of the Year". But, the year is young. :happy
Oh I can't, can I? That's what they said to Thomas Edison, mighty inventor, Thomas Lindberg, mighty flyer,and Thomas Shefsky, mighty like a rose.

Topic Author
A440

Post by A440 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:10 pm

No chat available with the "We're on it". You text them and they call you back without a wait or the myriad of menus.
I gave the name/date/details of my December call with today's CSR who was very helpful. I did wait for the newest billing cycle before calling and it showed the non-promo price. The rep told me today the $29.99 offer is not currently available. I told him I understand, but was told in December that is what I should expect in Jan and for the year. I also suggested they send me a $180 gift card in lieu of saving $15 for the next 12 months.
I did receive $15 off next month's bill, and the issue is being escalated with a "ticket" for which I received the number. I should expect to hear back tomorrow with their response.
In the meantime, I found a few Comcast execs that I can contact before I need to go any further.
Are internet billing issues handled by FCC or FTC? (which I believe is under the umbrella of the FCC)

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:11 pm

Whenever I've made changes to Comcast services I've received a confirmation email. I also had to listen to a prerecorded (or maybe auto-generated) script and confirm I agree with the terms by pressing 1 or something on the phone (agent transfers you).

As pointed out, maybe the discount hasn't kicked in. If you cannot resolve it, cancel the service and move to another provider. Threatening to cancel often gets things done.

Copper John

Post by Copper John » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:31 pm

I have found Comcast to be a "sleazy" company and the Minnesota AG in a recently filed lawsuit against them seems to agree with me:

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... f-service/

I unfortunately have to rely on them as my internet provider, but I never regretted dumping them when I cut the cable.

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:45 pm

A440,

Did you speak with someone in the "disconnect" department or the billing department?

You have a better chance at getting a good offer from someone working in the disconnect department. I don't think billing department employees have the same discretion as those in the disconnect department.

Whatever you do, keep up with the haggling. It is a pain, but try to work with them as much as possible. Do not contact any government agency as such action is usually the last resort. Moreover, a good part of the federal government is not functioning due to the discord at the nation's capital.

Best of luck to you.

6Pack

Post by 6Pack » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:19 pm

This happened to me once before. I reminded the new CSR that Comcast records all calls and they should listen to it while I wait. They put me on hold, came back about 3 minutes later, said I was correct and they fixed the issue. I was kind of surprised.

Topic Author
A440

Post by A440 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:10 pm

I got a resolution to my complaint. Comcast issued (is supposed to issue) me a credit for the difference of what I am currently paying and what was promised for this year. I found a few execs email addresses and sent them the play by play of the issue + the escalation ticket number that was created on my behalf.
I received a call back within and hour or two from an executive office with the resolution. :happy

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:45 am

A440 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:10 pm
I got a resolution to my complaint. Comcast issued (is supposed to issue) me a credit for the difference of what I am currently paying and what was promised for this year. I found a few execs email addresses and sent them the play by play of the issue + the escalation ticket number that was created on my behalf.
I received a call back within and hour or two from an executive office with the resolution. :happy
I might need those emails addresses as well. My 1 year discount expired January 6th, back in December I accepted another 1 year contract for a discounted rate to take effect January 6th when my current contract expires. So my bill was generated on the 1st of course with the non discounted rate. I am not seeing the adjustment to the new contracted rate online.

Chatting with various customer service reps I am getting different answers as to if they are going to charge the higher rate, then adjust February's bill or charge the contracted rate, or if they are just not going to give me the new contracted rate.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

HueyLD

Post by HueyLD » Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:52 am

SimonJester wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:45 am
A440 wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:10 pm
I might need those emails addresses as well. My 1 year discount expired January 6th, back in December I accepted another 1 year contract for a discounted rate to take effect January 6th when my current contract expires. So my bill was generated on the 1st of course with the non discounted rate. I am not seeing the adjustment to the new contracted rate online.

Chatting with various customer service reps I am getting different answers as to if they are going to charge the higher rate, then adjust February's bill or charge the contracted rate, or if they are just not going to give me the new contracted rate.
On my last renewal similar to yours, my Feb. bill was credited with the difference. I think you can wait until you receive your Feb. bill.