Fender Bender backing out of garage. File a claim with insurance?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
Topic Author
ved
Posts: 705
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:56 pm

Fender Bender backing out of garage. File a claim with insurance?

Post by ved » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:25 am

Hi all,

While backing out of the garage, my wife kinda turned the wheel I guess. The left quarter panel and fender scraped the garage door frame, and ripped the fender out a bit. It's a 2015 Toyota Camry, that I still have about 22 months of payments left (at 0%)

I took it to a couple of collision / body work shops. The quotes were about $1300 at one place, and about $2000 at the other.
The guy with the $2000 quote said that he is a certified Toyota body shop. And that he will do pre and post safety system scans to make sure safety is not compromised.


Questions for the wise folks here:
1. IS the pre- and post- safety scans worth anything? The car was going at probably less than 2 miles per hour, backing out of the garage. Would it impact any safety systems?
2. Should I file a claim with the insurance? My deductible is $1000. Would this impact my premiums?
3. Should I take the car to the dealer, and see what his quote will be?
4. Any other suggestions?

Thanks

Rupert
Posts: 3919
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Fender Bender backing out of garage. File a claim with insurance?

Post by Rupert » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:41 am

Not all dealers do body work. It wouldn't hurt to get a quote from the dealer's shop if they have one, but don't assume that the dealer-affiliated shop will be any better than the shops you've already consulted. With a $1000 deductible, I would not file an insurance claim for an incident like this. It will likely impact your premiums more than what you'll pay out of pocket for the repairs.

bob60014
Posts: 792
Joined: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:59 pm
Location: The Land Beyond ORD

Re: Fender Bender backing out of garage. File a claim with insurance?

Post by bob60014 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:15 am

Just pay out of pocket, especially as its minor damage and doesn't involve another party.

User avatar
N1CKV
Posts: 775
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:18 am

Re: Fender Bender backing out of garage. File a claim with insurance?

Post by N1CKV » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:17 am

I would go with the cheaper shop. The safety systems aren't involved with a simple fender scrape/ pull.
I would not file an insurance claim, a difference of $300 out of pocket isn't worth increased premiums or loss of accident forgiveness.
For what sounds like a simple fender replacement, the biggest concern is matching the paint.

FWIW: My wife rammed her 1 year old Highlander in to a big yellow pole. Head-on. Dead center.
The entire front end was replaced (caved the radiator, buckled fenders & hood, crushed grill, bumper cover and impact bar, broke mounting tabs on both headlights, no air bag deployment somehow). We used the only certified Toyota body shop in town, which happened to be the dealership it was purchased from. They did an excellent job repairing with genuine parts, I'm picky and I had not complaints. The color is Blizzard Tri-coat, I can't find the blend lines. And YES, this was definitely an insurance claim and loss of accident forgiveness...

sport
Posts: 7644
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Fender Bender backing out of garage. File a claim with insurance?

Post by sport » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:24 am

Rupert wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:41 am
Not all dealers do body work. It wouldn't hurt to get a quote from the dealer's shop if they have one, but don't assume that the dealer-affiliated shop will be any better than the shops you've already consulted. With a $1000 deductible, I would not file an insurance claim for an incident like this. It will likely impact your premiums more than what you'll pay out of pocket for the repairs.
+1 I used dealer body shops twice in the past. I went to them because the accidents were the fault of the people who ran into my car and their insurance was paying the bills. I was cheated both times. One was a Pontiac dealer, the other was a private shop located next to, and recommended by, a Toyota dealer.

User avatar
wander
Posts: 2625
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am

Re: Fender Bender backing out of garage. File a claim with insurance?

Post by wander » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:38 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:15 am
Just pay out of pocket, especially as its minor damage and doesn't involve another party.
+1. I would do the same.

User avatar
8foot7
Posts: 932
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:29 pm

Re: Fender Bender backing out of garage. File a claim with insurance?

Post by 8foot7 » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:40 pm

wander wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:38 pm
bob60014 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:15 am
Just pay out of pocket, especially as its minor damage and doesn't involve another party.
+1. I would do the same.
+1 since it doesn't involve another party and you're on the hook for a grand anyway

Topic Author
ved
Posts: 705
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:56 pm

Re: Fender Bender backing out of garage. File a claim with insurance?

Post by ved » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:08 am

Rupert wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:41 am
Not all dealers do body work. It wouldn't hurt to get a quote from the dealer's shop if they have one, but don't assume that the dealer-affiliated shop will be any better than the shops you've already consulted. With a $1000 deductible, I would not file an insurance claim for an incident like this. It will likely impact your premiums more than what you'll pay out of pocket for the repairs.
OP here. Thanks for your responses.

I called the dealer, and they don't do the body work...but "recommended" the shop a mile down the road. That guy looked at it and said it would be around $1200, but he needs to take out the fender to see if there's any damage inside. Based on that, he said I can decide whether to pay out of pocket, or file a claim with insurance. Obviously, once he removes the fender, then I am kinda stuck to get the repairs done there (or pay him $150 to take it somewhere else).

So, is this guy being legitimate in that there could be damage not currently visible, or is he luring me in with a low price, and then jack it up once the car is in his shop?

Thanks

quantAndHold
Posts: 2254
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: Fender Bender backing out of garage. File a claim with insurance?

Post by quantAndHold » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:28 am

Finding new damage when they get inside is common. That’s happened to me on nearly every repair, no matter who was paying for it. The others could find the same and want more money as well, even though they didn’t mention it.

Did the guy know what the other estimates were?

Topic Author
ved
Posts: 705
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:56 pm

Re: Fender Bender backing out of garage. File a claim with insurance?

Post by ved » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:00 pm

quantAndHold wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:28 am
Finding new damage when they get inside is common. That’s happened to me on nearly every repair, no matter who was paying for it. The others could find the same and want more money as well, even though they didn’t mention it.

Did the guy know what the other estimates were?
No. I didn't mention to him that I went/ was going anywhere else to get an estimate.

shunkman
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:59 pm

Re: Fender Bender backing out of garage. File a claim with insurance?

Post by shunkman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:03 pm

Does the fender need repair or complete replacement? If replacement is required then you need to decide if the replacement fender will be a genuine Toyota part or an aftermarket part. Considering this is a 2015 model, I would choose the genuine Toyota fender if I intended to keep the car for several more years.

Rupert
Posts: 3919
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Fender Bender backing out of garage. File a claim with insurance?

Post by Rupert » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:04 pm

shunkman wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:03 pm
Does the fender need repair or complete replacement? If replacement is required then you need to decide if the replacement fender will be a genuine Toyota part or an aftermarket part. Considering this is a 2015 model, I would choose the genuine Toyota fender if I intended to keep the car for several more years.
You have the option of going with the OEM part if you pay out of pocket. Sometimes when insurance is paying you don't.

Topic Author
ved
Posts: 705
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:56 pm

Re: Fender Bender backing out of garage. File a claim with insurance?

Post by ved » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:07 pm

shunkman wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:03 pm
Does the fender need repair or complete replacement? If replacement is required then you need to decide if the replacement fender will be a genuine Toyota part or an aftermarket part. Considering this is a 2015 model, I would choose the genuine Toyota fender if I intended to keep the car for several more years.
Fender will be replaced. And they said that they will paint to match / blend in. All quotes were after-market parts. None of them even mentioned OEM parts.

Rupert
Posts: 3919
Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Re: Fender Bender backing out of garage. File a claim with insurance?

Post by Rupert » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:12 pm

ved wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:07 pm
shunkman wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:03 pm
Does the fender need repair or complete replacement? If replacement is required then you need to decide if the replacement fender will be a genuine Toyota part or an aftermarket part. Considering this is a 2015 model, I would choose the genuine Toyota fender if I intended to keep the car for several more years.
Fender will be replaced. And they said that they will paint to match / blend in. All quotes were after-market parts. None of them even mentioned OEM parts.
An aftermarket fender might be okay, but, especially with moving parts, I always try to get the OEM part. Someone hit my Honda Odyssey last year while it was parked in a parking lot. Driver door and mirror had to be replaced. Other driver's insurance was paying. Initially aftermarket parts were used. Within 3 months, the door broke and had to be replaced, again, with an OEM door. The aftermarket mirror vibrated so much when driving at highway speeds that it would make me motion sick to look in it. It too had to be replaced, again, with an OEM mirror.

Topic Author
ved
Posts: 705
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:56 pm

Re: Fender Bender backing out of garage. File a claim with insurance?

Post by ved » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:16 pm

Rupert wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:12 pm
ved wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:07 pm
shunkman wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:03 pm
Does the fender need repair or complete replacement? If replacement is required then you need to decide if the replacement fender will be a genuine Toyota part or an aftermarket part. Considering this is a 2015 model, I would choose the genuine Toyota fender if I intended to keep the car for several more years.
Fender will be replaced. And they said that they will paint to match / blend in. All quotes were after-market parts. None of them even mentioned OEM parts.
An aftermarket fender might be okay, but, especially with moving parts, I always try to get the OEM part. Someone hit my Honda Odyssey last year while it was parked in a parking lot. Driver door and mirror had to be replaced. Other driver's insurance was paying. Initially aftermarket parts were used. Within 3 months, the door broke and had to be replaced, again, with an OEM door. The aftermarket mirror vibrated so much when driving at highway speeds that it would make me motion sick to look in it. It too had to be replaced, again, with an OEM mirror.
Thanks for the info. I will ask about OEM parts. I guess these will be (much?) more expensive than after market.
As this is the fender, and bumper (and not moving parts) - will it be ok with after market?

MotoTrojan
Posts: 2954
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:39 pm

Re: Fender Bender backing out of garage. File a claim with insurance?

Post by MotoTrojan » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:17 pm

bob60014 wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:15 am
Just pay out of pocket, especially as its minor damage and doesn't involve another party.
Agree. Deductible aside your rate increase could be worse than payout.

fru-gal
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:48 pm

Re: Fender Bender backing out of garage. File a claim with insurance?

Post by fru-gal » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:22 pm

N1CKV wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:17 am
For what sounds like a simple fender replacement, the biggest concern is matching the paint.
I've had various body shop stuff done over the decades. Any good body shop should get perfect paint matches. I don't know how they do that.

User avatar
Cycle
Posts: 987
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 7:57 pm
Location: USA

Re: Fender Bender backing out of garage. File a claim with insurance?

Post by Cycle » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:24 pm

Get rid of personal cars, you'll never have these problems again. There are certain levers in life that greatly simplify things, add free time, and accelerate wealth accumulation, owning a car is not one of them.

shunkman
Posts: 33
Joined: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:59 pm

Re: Fender Bender backing out of garage. File a claim with insurance?

Post by shunkman » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:27 pm

Edmunds recommends OEM body parts...

"When it comes to collision repairs, make sure you are getting OEM parts, since aftermarket body panels may not fit properly or have proper crumple zones for crash safety"

https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance ... parts.html

jdb
Posts: 1505
Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:21 pm

Re: Fender Bender backing out of garage. File a claim with insurance?

Post by jdb » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:56 pm

Don’t feel bad. My wife was backing car on driveway and hit our daughter’s parked car. Lots of damage to both cars. Both were insured by State Farm. The agent laughed when I explained to her the double claim. I told my wife her license should be restricted to forward motion only. Good luck.

neilpilot
Posts: 2009
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: Fender Bender backing out of garage. File a claim with insurance?

Post by neilpilot » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:23 pm

jdb wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:56 pm
Don’t feel bad. My wife was backing car on driveway and hit our daughter’s parked car. Lots of damage to both cars. Both were insured by State Farm. The agent laughed when I explained to her the double claim. I told my wife her license should be restricted to forward motion only. Good luck.
Years ago my dad had an easy claim when the wife of his insurance agent rear ended him on an interstate on-ramp.

depressed
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:07 pm

Re: Fender Bender backing out of garage. File a claim with insurance?

Post by depressed » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:39 pm

I had similar damage to my bumper. It was an icy road; fortunately, no other car anywhere near.

Also fortunate: My spouse was able to find the OEM bumper online, already painted. Ordered the bumper. Took off the old one ourselves following online instructions (no lift required). Had our mechanic look to confirm there was no structural damage. Put the new bumper on ourselves. Got a final inspection by the mechanic. Total cost, including the inspection and a few new wrenches, was about $350. Of course, this might not meet requirements of the leaseholder, but it was a good solution for us because the car was owned outright.

Bonuses:
  • bonding time with spouse underneath car
  • I am more careful on ice these days

Post Reply