Mowing Business

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
GridironGems

Mowing Business

Post by GridironGems » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:25 pm

I have a friend who has mowed a lot of yards over the years in addition to being a teacher. He is about to have a baby and will not have time to keep up with all the duties anymore, so he is looking to hire a part time employee. How does he go about this? The part time employee will need to drive his truck and trailer as well.

Bacchus01

Re: Mowing Business

Post by Bacchus01 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:01 pm

ask the question on lawnsite.com

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:42 pm

Could try the classifieds in the local paper. Craigs List does have job postings. I have the impression these types of jobs are mostly filled by word of mouth among friends, neighbors, etc. Is the friend looking for part-time, or full time seasonal? The web site recommended above would be good to ask the question.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:45 pm

Hiring an employee may just eat up a large portion of his profits. He'll have to get Workers Comp insurance, match the guy's FICA, and possibly other benefits as well.etc. And good help can be tough to find. A friend of mine is finding that out right now.

Topic Author
GridironGems

Post by GridironGems » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:30 pm

pshonore wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:45 pm
Hiring an employee may just eat up a large portion of his profits. He'll have to get Workers Comp insurance, match the guy's FICA, and possibly other benefits as well.etc. And good help can be tough to find. A friend of mine is finding that out right now.
I think what he might be most worried about is the employee driving his truck and trailer. Would he just have to add something extra on to his current auto insurance?

megabad

Post by megabad » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:46 pm

GridironGems wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:25 pm
I have a friend who has mowed a lot of yards over the years in addition to being a teacher. He is about to have a baby and will not have time to keep up with all the duties anymore, so he is looking to hire a part time employee. How does he go about this? The part time employee will need to drive his truck and trailer as well.
He is a teacher. Does he have fellow teachers that would help? Does he teach older kids (high school)? If so, this is where I would get my help. In my area, there is not enough money in lawn care to consider hiring more legit help unless you are commercial and have a big portfolio. In other words, I think he has 3 good choices:

1) shrink the mowing portfolio down so he can manage it (seems like a possibility since he likely doesn't work 3 months out of the year)
2) hire high school kids (or maybe other teacher) and drive the truck himself
3) or expand the business (more commercial properties, more services, tree trimming, planting, mulch, etc) and hire full time guys with all that entails (more insurance, overhead, taxes, etc).

Props to your friend, I think lawn care is the perfect side business for teachers. Easy money and lots of great outdoor time. My neighbor down the street does this and told me he pulls in over $10k profit in a bad year. He says it only sucks for the 1st month and the last when he is teaching at the same time. He basically mows 2 lawns per weekday and has to finish the rest on the weekends during that period. After that, he only mows on weekdays and hangs with me on the weekends. In our area, $10k extra for a teacher is a big pay bump (unfortunately).

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:17 pm

GridironGems wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:30 pm
pshonore wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:45 pm
I think what he might be most worried about is the employee driving his truck and trailer. Would he just have to add something extra on to his current auto insurance?
Unfortunately he'll likely have to get a Commercial Auto policy since its used for business and is being driven by an employee. And Workers Comp is not cheap. Chances are he may be in the Assigned Risk pool depending in the state where he lives. Hopefully he already carries Business Liability. If not, he is taking a risk.

retire2022

Post by retire2022 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:31 pm

GridironGems wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:25 pm
I suggest you contact the town's or city's small business office, or local commerce chamber they should be able direct what your friend needs to setup a buisness.

forgeblast

Post by forgeblast » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:55 am

College Students....

sport

Post by sport » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:59 pm

Depending on state law, anyone he hires would have to have the proper driver's license for driving a truck as an employee. An ordinary license may not be sufficient.

Kiter

Post by Kiter » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:09 pm

He should speak with others in the Biz. or where he gets supplies/equipment where he is located . They could give give him info. on pay scale ,etc.

Kiter

Post by Kiter » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:13 pm

Lawnsite is a good forum ,,but it is to broad in the info. sometimes. It has very little in prices I can use . I have homes that mowing and fert add up to close to 25k for the N/E season