ROTH Advice - "Diversification/Simplification"

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
JoeRevere

ROTH Advice - "Diversification/Simplification"

Post by JoeRevere » Thu Dec 27, 2018 6:56 pm

Hoping to get some help on determining if the current Roth investments I have are diversified enough, duplicates, (or over-diversified/overkill!)

I have been contributing to a traditional 401k for several years (Target Date Retirement) and recently heard I should be maxing out a Roth IRA as well.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

This is what I currently have setup in a Fidelity Roth IRA:

FIHFX Fidelity Freedom® Index 2035
Contribution 20% Expense 0.19%

FXAIX Fidelity® 500 Index
Contribution 20% Expense 0.015%

FSMDX Fidelity® Mid Cap Index
Contribution 20% Expense 0.025%

FSSNX Fidelity® Small Cap Index
Contribution 20% Expense 0.025%

FHKCX Fidelity® China
Contribution 10% Expense 1%

FPADX Fidelity® Emerging Markets Index
Contribution 10% Expense 0.08%

Spirit Rider

Re: ROTH Advice - "Diversification/Simplification"

Post by Spirit Rider » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:47 pm

The Fidelity Freedom Index fund duplicates most of the individual assets. Either solely use the Freedom fund or drop it and put in bonds to meet your AA.

02nz

Post by 02nz » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:53 pm

There's quite a bit of overlap in there (in addition to what has already been pointed out, China is part of emerging markets although the former fund is active and the latter passive; this means you're significantly overweight in China; not saying that's right or wrong but you should be aware of it).

The Bogleheads approach is to look at the asset allocation of your overall portfolio as a whole - including 401k, Roth IRAs, and other investments, rather than accounts in isolation. So consider putting your information in the forum template format to get better advice.

TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun » Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:56 pm

Glad to see you don't have any bonds or money market in your Roth. I make sure my Roth is 100% equities and I let my IRAs and 401k carry my bonds, CDs, and money market.

TravelforFun

Topic Author
JoeRevere

Post by JoeRevere » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:11 pm

Thank you for your replies. I dropped the Freedom Fund and taking another look at the China investments. I am new to this forum and will use the template in the future along with providing all other investment info (The 'Big Picture'). Thanks again!

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:03 pm

You have emerging markets but no international developed markets. Is that what you intended?

Also your portfolio has a mid/small cap tilt, with allocations much larger than a market weight index. That is neither bad nor good, just making sure you understand this.

If you want market weights the target date fund as a single fund is probably these best way to go.

An alternative allocation with tilts could be:

70-80% target date
10-15% small cap index
10-15% emerging markets.

China is kind of the wild wild west in terms of investing so personally I would not put extra in a china fund.

David Jay

Post by David Jay » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:09 pm

It is pretty much screaming, "hair on fire" heresy at Bogleheads to select a fund, any fund, with a 1% expense ratio.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius