Fidelity free Turbotax

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
gobigorgohome

Re: Fidelity free Turbotax

Post by gobigorgohome » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:07 pm

MisterBill wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:59 pm
FIREchief wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 5:06 pm
Thanks for the heads up. After some degree of effort, I was able to download the premier for free (after inputting my CC info). That web site tries to trap you into an on-line filing whether you want to or not. :annoyed Best "escape" I found is to click on the license fine print link at the bottom and that gets you out of jail and onto a regular web page with product links at the top.
The best escape is not to click on the purchase button on the initial page, but to follow the instructions posted here and go to the Products & Pricing menu at the top of the page and then click CD/Download Products. The $0 price will be reflected for the download product when you get there.
This worked great. Thanks!

MisterBill

Post by MisterBill » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:40 pm

LiveSimple wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:08 am
thanks, so what is the qualification to be invited to the Fidelity Holiday Event .
Well, being a Private Client to start. Not sure what beyond that since they do not get any fees from me. This is two years in a row that I have been invited a week before the event so I'm not sure if someone else declined and I was on the B list, or if that was when they invited everyone. Last year it was much earlier in the fall so when I had not gotten an invite this year, I figured I just wasn't invited, but then I got an email inviting me. But I think last year was for multiple branches in the area and this one was just for my local branch.

In any event, I am happy to take a free dinner (plus Turbotax).

I actually thought of creating a "holiday gifts from your broker?" thread. Maybe I should.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:26 am

I am still waiting for the link. For last two years, I had the free Turbo Tax in my account. So far no sign of it. I guess I will wait another week. I do not do any trading and do have both personal and employee accounts at Fidelity.

Is Fidelity still doing this in batches? Anybody else still waiting for their link?

NavyIC3

Post by NavyIC3 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:33 am

wrongfunds wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:26 am
I am still waiting for the link. For last two years, I had the free Turbo Tax in my account. So far no sign of it. I guess I will wait another week. I do not do any trading and do have both personal and employee accounts at Fidelity.

Is Fidelity still doing this in batches? Anybody else still waiting for their link?

Same situation as you. Been receiving free link for years. Still waiting for it. Every time I call Fido, I get a different answer. Last CSR told me I should see the link in January.

GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:35 pm

NavyIC3 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:33 am
wrongfunds wrote:

Same situation as you. Been receiving free link for years. Still waiting for it. Every time I call Fido, I get a different answer. Last CSR told me I should see the link in January.
I am in the same boat

AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:59 pm

GeraniumLover wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:35 pm
NavyIC3 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:33 am
wrongfunds wrote:

I am in the same boat
Yeah, this seems to be the same pattern for me also. Recall last year being a wait and see effort. Calling Fidelity was waste of time then, so I'll just wait them out. If it doesn't show up by mid to late January, then I will be on phone.

MisterBill

Post by MisterBill » Mon Dec 31, 2018 3:52 pm

AllMostThere wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:59 pm
Yeah, this seems to be the same pattern for me also. Recall last year being a wait and see effort. Calling Fidelity was waste of time then, so I'll just wait them out. If it doesn't show up by mid to late January, then I will be on phone.
Can't disagree with that, since based on many past reports, no one you speak to when you call seems to know what's going on or how to trigger it. They do make various excuses, however.

veerain

Post by veerain » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:27 pm

Just noticed the "Get TurboTax® Online Premier free" Link. Its on the Summary Page, It worked as usual.

NavyIC3

Post by NavyIC3 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:11 pm

veerain wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:27 pm
Just noticed the "Get TurboTax® Online Premier free" Link. Its on the Summary Page, It worked as usual.
Did it just appear today or haven't you checked for it for a while?

veerain

Post by veerain » Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:20 pm

NavyIC3 wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 6:11 pm
veerain wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:27 pm
Did it just appear today or haven't you checked for it for a while?
I did not visit summary page at least for a week. so dunno when the link actually appeared.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:31 pm

I'm Fidelity private client, and I tried this for the first time today.

I do see a link on the 'All Accounts' --> 'Summary' page, but when I click on it, Turbo tax takes me to a web page that says ' We cannot find the page you requested.'. Do I need to contact Fidelity about this ?

MisterBill

Post by MisterBill » Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:10 pm

SlowMovingInvestor wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:31 pm

I do see a link on the 'All Accounts' --> 'Summary' page, but when I click on it, Turbo tax takes me to a web page that says ' We cannot find the page you requested.'. Do I need to contact Fidelity about this ?
Try it again. I had that and it worked the second time.

CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:55 pm

Same here - the second attempt worked.
MisterBill wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:10 pm

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:13 pm

munemaker wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:03 am
MisterBill wrote:
Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:34 pm
FWIW, my PCG rep just told me this regarding the offer. Not sure if it's true.

The free turbo tax is for clients who have over $500k in non 401k assets. That is why not all premium/private clients will see the free turbo tax offer. Some only qualify for the discount.
I don't think it is true. I have over $500k in non-401k assets and only see the discount.

I don't even know what premium/private client means, so presumably I am not one. They must be clients that use fee generating services?
I just noticed on the summary page that I am indeed a "Premium Services" customer (never knew that before) and I only have about $750k in assets with them (most is at Vanguard), none of which is in a 401k. Did not receive the offer for free Turbo Tax though. I ended up buying H&R Block, which is what I have been using the past few years.

So if being a Premium Services client does not get me free Turbo Tax, what does it get me? And no, I did not get invited to the Christmas party either - I would not have gone anyway.

Topic Author
Hayden

Post by Hayden » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:36 pm

MisterBill wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:40 pm
LiveSimple wrote:
Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:08 am
thanks, so what is the qualification to be invited to the Fidelity Holiday Event .
Well, being a Private Client to start. Not sure what beyond that since they do not get any fees from me. This is two years in a row that I have been invited a week before the event so I'm not sure if someone else declined and I was on the B list, or if that was when they invited everyone. Last year it was much earlier in the fall so when I had not gotten an invite this year, I figured I just wasn't invited, but then I got an email inviting me. But I think last year was for multiple branches in the area and this one was just for my local branch.

In any event, I am happy to take a free dinner (plus Turbotax).

I actually thought of creating a "holiday gifts from your broker?" thread. Maybe I should.
I've never been offered dinner. This year I got 2 holiday cards from Fidelity. (Actually, I really liked Johnson's card this year.) I think in years past I received a CD, but no such gifts in recent years

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:51 pm

Since I qualify by some of the criteria posted here, I asked for the free TurboTax when I was on the phone with Fidelity for another issue. She pulled something up and started reading the qualification criteria out lout, then abruptly stopped. However, she had read enough out loud that it was clear to both of us that I qualify. She put me on hold to check with her supervisor, and then came back to advise there are no objective qualification criteria; qualifying for the free Turbo Tax is subjective and I simply was not selected.

The qualification criteria I heard before she stopped reading aloud were:
500 trades in calendar year at Fidelity
or
>$500k in non-401k accounts at Fidelity
or
>$1 mil in assets at Fidelity

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:06 pm

I am a private client. I had the same issue and several other issues. I spent 5+ hours with TurboTax support to I avail so I asked it to be bumped to level 3 support and get a supervisor. Finally they just placed the software in my account to be downloaded.

Link still doesn’t work for me.

Fidelity would have reimbursed me if I had called them. But I wanted this fixed permanently. Will see what happens next year.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:09 pm

Theseus wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:06 pm
I am a private client. I had the same issue and several other issues. I spent 5+ hours with TurboTax support to I avail so I asked it to be bumped to level 3 support and get a supervisor. Finally they just placed the software in my account to be downloaded.

Fidelity would have reimbursed me if I had called them. But I wanted this fixed permanently. Will see what happens next year.
That’s one expensive version of TurboTax ;)

(both for you and Fidelity)

busdriver

Post by busdriver » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:18 pm

Saving$ wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:51 pm
qualifying for the free Turbo Tax is subjective and I simply was not selected.

The qualification criteria I heard before she stopped reading aloud were:
500 trades in calendar year at Fidelity
or
>$500k in non-401k accounts at Fidelity
or
>$1 mil in assets at Fidelity
That would explain why I received the offer this year and two years back, but not last year. While I’ve never qualified under #1, I’ve qualified under items 2 &3 for many years now. So guessing I may not get the offer next year. :|

MisterBill

Post by MisterBill » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:21 pm

Hayden wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:36 pm
I've never been offered dinner. This year I got 2 holiday cards from Fidelity. (Actually, I really liked Johnson's card this year.) I think in years past I received a CD, but no such gifts in recent years
Yeah, I got 2 cards as well. In addition to Fidelity, I'm also a paying Personal Capital customer. The last couple of years I got a bag of popcorn and a Tile (which was actually handy and something I would not have bought for myself). This year I got a card saying that they were making a donation (I think to the American Red Cross) instead of sending gifts. I did get a dinner out of them earlier in the year when they had a customer event in my area (I had been invited to events in the past didn't go because they were in NYC and I figured it would cost me $50 for us to get there by train).

When I was doing business with Morgan Stanley, the broker used to send us a case of fruit. However, I still remember when we first met with him in their local branch (it was not his regular branch, he was from Long Island and we are in Westchester) I was surprised he did not offer to take us to dinner. He had been my mother-in-law's broker (she had passed away) and we met with him before deciding whether to keep my wife's inheritance with him). He still sends us a holiday card, but no fruit.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:27 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:09 pm
Theseus wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:06 pm

That’s one expensive version of TurboTax ;)

(both for you and Fidelity)
Yes. I thought of that. But as a retired guy I have freedom to prioritize my time on trivial things that have negative ROI. Perks of being retired 😂😂

MisterBill

Post by MisterBill » Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:29 am

Theseus wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:27 pm
Yes. I thought of that. But as a retired guy I have freedom to prioritize my time on trivial things that have negative ROI. Perks of being retired 😂😂
Maybe you should have spent the time trying to figure out what's wrong with your computer since having "several other issues" with the TT site sounds like it's your problem and not theirs.

Theseus

Post by Theseus » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:23 am

MisterBill wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:29 am
Theseus wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:27 pm
Maybe you should have spent the time trying to figure out what's wrong with your computer since having "several other issues" with the TT site sounds like it's your problem and not theirs.
I did. It’s not my computer ( retired from an IT career so I am reasonably sure). I suspect there is something is wrong with my account with TurboTax as all problems come up when I am trying to check out.

SlowMovingInvestor

Post by SlowMovingInvestor » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:41 am

MisterBill wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 4:10 pm

I tried it several times on multiple browsers and it still didn't work. Then it suddenly worked, and I quickly did the download :)

blastoff

Post by blastoff » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:21 pm

Fidelity replied to me and said they changed the availability of the turbo taxoffer this year with no further details.

So, it might be different.

I had the offer in past years. While I am still private client (probably not active trader), I didn't get it this year.

I messaged them because there were some good deals to purchase turbo tax that I didn't want to let them pass by if I wasn't going to get it for free.

Tom0026

Post by Tom0026 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:46 pm

I received the free offer last year, but haven't seen it this year. I called today to ask why, and was told that the requirement was >$1M in non-retirement accounts. With the recent market drop I'm just under that, and I was told that there is no flexibility in the policy. :annoyed

stlutz

Post by stlutz » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:56 pm

Hasn't it long since become clear that there are no defined requirements to receive it? Fidelity seems to have a random algorithm for giving it to certain accounts which seemingly can be overridden by certain employees but not others.

gpburdell

Post by gpburdell » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:05 am

I noticed the free Turbo Tax appear on my summary page the last week of December. I'm not Private Client, but I have the "Active Trader Services" designation. Not sure why I have that as I definitely don't do 500 trades per year. More like 20 and half of those are with iShares etfs which are free to trade.

mtmingus

Post by mtmingus » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:29 pm

gpburdell wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:05 am
I noticed the free Turbo Tax appear on my summary page the last week of December. I'm not Private Client, but I have the "Active Trader Services" designation. Not sure why I have that as I definitely don't do 500 trades per year. More like 20 and half of those are with iShares etfs which are free to trade.
Maybe your combined assets (401k included) >= 1 million?

AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere » Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:30 pm

Having not seen the link for Free TurboTax (only discount links) on my login landing screen, I finally messaged my assigned Fidelity Financial Consultant. Below is his response:
"Thanks for your inquiry into Turbo Tax. Fidelity has updated the qualifications to receive the free version of Turbo Tax and after reviewing the updates and looking at your accounts with our back office those qualifications are not met. We do still offer the discount link as you mentioned to assist you in your tax preparation. Thanks and have a great day."
WOW! No explanation of what criteria was used for the determination nor any alternatives to help me. DW and I both have 6 figure retirement assets under Fidelity management and this is the response I receive? Again, WOW! This reply & lack of service was a total waste of my time to even make contact, as I am still in the dark. I still like the TT product, so today I stopped by Costco and purchased the Premier Edition on CD for ~ $55. Hopefully, others have better luck with the magic recipe to Free TT @ Fidelity. :sharebeer

MisterBill

Post by MisterBill » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:50 pm

AllMostThere wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 3:30 pm
WOW! No explanation of what criteria was used for the determination nor any alternatives to help me. DW and I both have 6 figure retirement assets under Fidelity management and this is the response I receive? Again, WOW! This reply & lack of service was a total waste of my time to even make contact, as I am still in the dark. I still like the TT product, so today I stopped by Costco and purchased the Premier Edition on CD for ~ $55. Hopefully, others have better luck with the magic recipe to Free TT @ Fidelity. :sharebeer
Are the retirement accounts 401k or are they IRA's? 401k's won't cut it. You need "retail" accounts (i.e., on fidelity.com, not netbenefits.com). And 6 figure (at least low 6 figure) won't cut it, either. If you read posts here you'll see that $500k and being an active trader or > $1m without that in RETAIL ACCOUNTS (and either Premier or Private Client) is what people have when they get the offer. Based on that, would you qualify?

Have you had the offer in the past? I'm guessing not.

GeraniumLover

Post by GeraniumLover » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:52 am

I called Fidelity this morning because the link for the free Premium had still not appeared for me even though it had for the past several years. They ran a check to see if I qualified. They said that I did and didn't know why the link wasn't appearing. They said if it doesn't appear by the time I need to use the product, I should go through the $20 off process and it should credit me full the full amount. If it doesn't, they said they would reimburse me.

Bottom line: If the link doesn't show up, it doesn't mean you are not qualified to receive the offer.
Last edited by GeraniumLover on Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trurl Klapaucius

Post by Trurl Klapaucius » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:53 am

As others have reported, the offer for free 2018 TurboTax Premier from Fidelity hasn’t appeared for me yet. I did receive and use the offer for 2015, 2016, and 2017. The cause for this truancy remains unclear, as nothing much has changed in my Fidelity accounts compared to previous years (low seven figures in both retail and retirement accounts, no trading – just buy and hold individual fixed income).

So I’ve decided to lock in the current sale price at Costco ($55) by buying a physical (CD) copy. I won’t open the package until it’s time to file my return. If the free offer from Fidelity appears before then, I will take advantage of Costco’s excellent return policy to recover my $55.

If anyone else is interested in hedging their TurboTax options, the sale at Costco is scheduled to end this Sunday, January 27, 2019.

HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:20 pm

For those who have used the free Fidelity download in the past, do you know if you can use it to file returns for multiple individuals?

The message on my summary page says:

"Receive a free federal and state tax return
TurboTax® will automatically import your Fidelity account info
Get your refund quickly by direct depositing into your Fidelity account."

Since it says 'a free' return, I am guessing that I would not able to use this to file my mother's and children's taxes as I do with the Costco Premier version I purchase?

Does anyone know if the Online Premier free version remains on your computer's HD or would I need use the produce online?

I purchased and opened the 2018 version late last year because I was playing around with forecasts, so I am asking for next year.

Thanks!

marcopolo

Post by marcopolo » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:29 pm

HereToLearn wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:20 pm
For those who have used the free Fidelity download in the past, do you know if you can use it to file returns for multiple individuals?

Since it says 'a free' return, I am guessing that I would not able to use this to file my mother's and children's taxes as I do with the Costco Premier version I purchase?

Does anyone know if the Online Premier free version remains on your computer's HD or would I need use the produce online?

I purchased and opened the 2018 version late last year because I was playing around with forecasts, so I am asking for next year.

Thanks!
The free offer includes either the online, or the download version. As far as I am aware, the download version is the same as what you would buy at retail.
I have used it for several years to file multiple returns. I have done 3. I believe it allows for 5.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:33 pm

marcopolo wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:29 pm
HereToLearn wrote:

Thanks!
The free offer includes either the online, or the download version. As far as I am aware, the download version is the same as what you would buy at retail.
I have used it for several years to file multiple returns. I have done 3. I believe it allows for 5.
Thank you! I will mark my calendar for the end of this year so that I don't run out and buy TT again.

MisterBill

Post by MisterBill » Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:59 pm

HereToLearn wrote:

Thanks!
Just FYI, Turbotax has an excellent refund policy.

HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn » Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:20 am

MisterBill wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 7:59 pm
HereToLearn wrote:

Thanks!
Just FYI, Turbotax has an excellent refund policy.
Thank you. I bought it from Costco and I already feel as though I make full use of their generous return policy, so I will probably eat this expense this year, but will be certain to look for my free one from Fidelity henceforth.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:34 am

marcopolo wrote:
HereToLearn wrote:

Thanks!
Confirmed. You can e-file up to 5 Federal returns with either (online or CD version of the) product.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/19013 ... d-software
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

MisterBill

Post by MisterBill » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:29 am

HereToLearn wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:20 am
Thank you. I bought it from Costco and I already feel as though I make full use of their generous return policy, so I will probably eat this expense this year, but will be certain to look for my free one from Fidelity henceforth.
I wasn't suggesting returning it to Costco. As I said, Turbotax has an excellent refund policy.

MisterBill

Post by MisterBill » Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:12 pm

MikeG62 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:34 am
marcopolo wrote:
Confirmed. You can e-file up to 5 Federal returns with either (online or CD version of the) product.

If you need to use multiple returns and want to use the online version, just create multiple accounts at the TT website. Obviously not as easy as the CD/download version, but can be worth doing if you need multiple states since they are free with the Fidelity offer in the online version.

HereToLearn

Post by HereToLearn » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:48 am

MisterBill wrote:
Sun Feb 03, 2019 7:12 pm
MikeG62 wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 7:34 am
marcopolo wrote:

If you need to use multiple returns and want to use the online version, just create multiple accounts at the TT website. Obviously not as easy as the CD/download version, but can be worth doing if you need multiple states since they are free with the Fidelity offer in the online version.

The free multiple state option is very attractive also as I had to purchase a second state's program. Thanks!

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:18 am

Looks like the free TurboTax offer is gone now.
I had the link in my account when it first was offered a few weeks ago, but it is gone now.
I called and they told me in some cases if you qualify they give a credit after you file for what you spent up to a certain amount.

MisterBill

Post by MisterBill » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:26 pm

TBillT wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:18 am
Looks like the free TurboTax offer is gone now.
I had the link in my account when it first was offered a few weeks ago, but it is gone now.
I called and they told me in some cases if you qualify they give a credit after you file for what you spent up to a certain amount.
Sorry to have to tell you this, but it's still there for me.

ericcohen

Post by ericcohen » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 pm

Can anyone tell me why I'm not seeing this link? They are only offering me a measly $20 off TurboTax.

I'm PCG, why am I not getting the offer? Screw Fidelity. This pisses me off.

MisterBill

Post by MisterBill » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:07 pm

ericcohen wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 pm
Can anyone tell me why I'm not seeing this link? They are only offering me a measly $20 off TurboTax.

I would ask your rep. Do you actually have the $1m required to be PCG?

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:53 am

MisterBill wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:07 pm
ericcohen wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:15 pm

I would ask your rep. Do you actually have the $1m required to be PCG?
I would say Fidelity has removed the free TT link from at least some PCG'ers.
I called twice and essentially both times I was told they might reimburse TT cost instead (if you used the 20% discount version).
So it seems like Fidelity has changed their free TT availability policy (and it also seems like they do not want to talk much about it). I already bought Amazon version. I was going to return it if I could get free TT Premier.

TBillT

Post by TBillT » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:19 pm

On again/off again.
OK so today I do have the Link in my account for free Turbo Tax Premier online-version up to $60 value.
I got started on it, but I like the download version better so I need to decide if I want to continue.

MisterBill

Post by MisterBill » Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:53 pm

TBillT wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:19 pm
On again/off again.
OK so today I do have the Link in my account for free Turbo Tax Premier online-version up to $60 value.
I got started on it, but I like the download version better so I need to decide if I want to continue.
There is no separate link or offer for the download version. There are instructions in this thread for how to find it. Once you get to the free online version page, just look in the Products & Pricing pulldown on the top of the page.