Good kitchen mixing bowls

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Good kitchen mixing bowls

Post by ThankYouJack » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:18 pm

I'm thinking about giving my spouse a decent set of stainless steel or glass ones mixing bowls as a gift. Are most bowls basically the same? I'm thinking about going with these https://www.amazon.com/Wildone-Stainles ... owls&psc=1 but am curious if anyone has any recommendations

livesoft

Re: Good kitchen mixing bowls

Post by livesoft » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:44 pm

I use a glass mixing bowl every single day. I like it because it has a handle, is trivial to clean, can go in the microwave, and can be set on a hot stove accidentally, can go in the dishwasher or oven, and one can see through it to know that things are really mixed. Pampered Chef has some, but there are many others.

Your link shows bowls with extra plastic around the bottom. I think this 2-part design would be terrible.

Steel bowls often (not always) have a rolled edge which water will get into and make them harder to dry. Imagine taking a bowl out of the dishwasher and water leaks out onto your dry hand.

Of course, if you drop a glass bowl, it could break.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Post by 123 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:49 pm

I've got a contrary opinion. I'm a fan of metal mixing bowls. When we married spouse had a set of metal bowls, I had glass bowls (I grew up using glass bowls). I do all the cooking. I gave up my heavier glass bowls in just a few days after using the metal bowls. Of course you can't put a metal bowl in the microwave but that isn't really an issue for me, maybe it depends on your cooking methodology.

Edited to add:
If you nest bowls for storage a set of glass bowls will be much heavier than metal bowls.

I usually hand wash pots, pans, and bowls because they take so much space in a dishwasher.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:10 am

I treat the weight of a glass bowl as a positive: It helps keeps one's wrists and triceps in shape, but yes, weight can be a problem for many people.

I used to work as a cook. There were no glass bowls and only stainless steel bowls in the kitchens where I worked. So I readily understand their appeal. In our home kitchen we have steel bowls, plastic bowls, and glass bowls, but no bowls made of 2 different materials.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

badger42

Post by badger42 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:18 am

The Costco / Tramontina 3-piece metal mixing bowl set works great and is less than 20 bucks.

Or hit up your local restaurant supply place. For functional, buy what the pros use, which is light and sturdy stainless.

SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:26 am

ThankYouJack wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:18 pm
I'm thinking about giving my spouse a decent set of stainless steel or glass ones mixing bowls as a gift. Are most bowls basically the same? I'm thinking about going with these https://www.amazon.com/Wildone-Stainles ... owls&psc=1 but am curious if anyone has any recommendations
You're a great spouse, OP. For anyone who spends time in the kitchen, a good set of mixing bowls is critical. Sorry to answer your question with a question, but the answer to how much your spouse will love the linked item depends on a number of factors, including the following: Is your spouse more the type who LOVES to bake but of course has the chops to cook reasonably well, or is s/he more the type who LOVES to cook but of course has the kitchen chops to bake reasonably well?

As anyone who's attended culinary school will tell you, you graduate having skills in all areas, but you'll definitely lean more one way than the other on the baker-cook spectrum. The skill sets - and hence the preferred gear required for the given task - are completely different. FWIW, I'd bet that your spouse will be more happy with your linked choice if s/he leans more toward the baker end of the spectrum.
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:30 am

Personally, I would want more sizes. Most people don't have unlimited space so the more in the stackable set, the better. I have a set of 10 glass bowls of varying sizes (Duralux). Metal vs. glass is a separate issue. Metal is more durable. Glass can go in the microwave. I would avoid metal with plastic on them (I use them occasionally as a double boiler and the plastic would melt). Plastic parts would probably not wear as well also.

MJS

Post by MJS » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:37 am

Any bit of plastic can make whipping egg whites difficult to impossible: no plastic. Does your wife like her bowls to have handles? Does she have arthritis, so that an ultra light titanium set would be better? Does she prefer bowls with pour spouts? What kind of storage space is available for these bowls: will they have to nest with older bowls, or mesh strainers? Does the kitchen have a color theme? If she makes bread, does she want heavy ceramic that retains warmth? Good luck, and have fun hunting!

Carter3

Post by Carter3 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:47 am

Tramontina

nativenewenglander

Post by nativenewenglander » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:00 am

We have a set of stainless bowls we use for certain kitchen tasks. The largest being 22 inches across the smallest six inches. I love the large one when grating cabbage for sauerkraut as it hold 5 lbs of shredded cabbage and room to mix in the pickling salt. Then we have an original complete set of 1950's mixing bowls we got a consignment store for $5. They are Fire King which is the Anchor Hocking version of Pyrex.All these bowls last a lifetime. I like the glass ones for using the electric mixer in as the metal ones a noisy.

PVW

Post by PVW » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:01 am

I prefer stainless steel. I have a set of glass mixing bowls, but I hardly ever use them for mixing and prep. I have Winco heavy duty deep bowls. They are sturdy and functional and have lasted more than 7 years with little sign of wear.

I got the deep bowls to save on storage space. If this isn't a concern, then the wide bowls are better for mixing. It's convenient to have multiples of each size, especially the smaller ones. Don't get the Winco economy line - I have some for dog bowls and they are too cheap and lightweight for kitchen mixing bowls.

Below is the list of what I got from Tiger chef. Winco is a popular restaurant brand and they're probably available elsewhere, but I see they are generally overpriced on Amazon.

4x 1.5 Qt heavy duty wide - https://www.tigerchef.com/winco-mxhv-15 ... nless.html
4x 3 Qt heavy duty deep - https://www.tigerchef.com/winco-mxbh-30 ... -duty.html
2x 5 Qt heavy duty deep - https://www.tigerchef.com/winco-mxbh-50 ... eel-5.html
2x 8 Qt heavy duty deep - https://www.tigerchef.com/winco-mxbh-80 ... nless.html

leeks

Post by leeks » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:07 am

An artisan gifted us handmade ceramic bowls intended to be mixing bowls, but I don't use them for that. They are heavier (harder to hold with one hand while scraping out the batter with another) and I don't want to worry about breaking them (small children help me cook) and it is an extra step to handwash them (not dishwasher safe). I use them primarily as serving bowls for special meals.

I prefer the utilitarian, simple, unadorned glass or stainless steel bowls for meal prep and baking. I like that they nest in each other for stacked storage. I have and regularly use a few really big ones - significantly bigger than those sold in sets.

Anchor Hocking glass bowls are made in USA and can be found insets for reasonable prices. I suggest getting 1 or 2 larger ones to go along with a standard set (sets are usually just small-medium bowls).

I also like having some large glass measuring cups (2-cup and 4-cup) and sometimes use them for mixing too. For example. I mix pancake batter in one of those and can then pour right into the pan.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:11 am

Tramontina is taking a turn for the worse now that more and more of their products are made in China. I have their mixing bowl set that is about 2 years old that is made in Brazil, and I just bought a set from Costco as a gift and it is made in China. Noticeable difference in quality and almost every bowl already had scratches. If you can find a "Made in Brazil" set, grab it. I also have a few Tools of the Trade bowls that are top notch but I assume they are also made in China. Even the $85 All Clad set is made in China, but they look impressive for mixing bowls. Look for 18/10 or 18/8 stainless. If it doesn't say the grade, it is probably junk.

I use 3 different sizes of steel bowls plus a 4 cup Pyrex with spout. I technically have 4 steel bowls, but my husband soaked his feet in one so I will never use it for food again, even though it is clean. I would just imagine the foot taste if I used it.

Post by 123 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:12 am

leeks wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:07 am
...I also like having some large glass measuring cups (2-cup and 4-cup) and sometimes use them for mixing too. For example. I mix pancake batter in one of those and can then pour right into the pan.
Thank you for an inspiration!
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

HeadHunter

Post by HeadHunter » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:38 am

I don't like metal or glass mixing bowls but love melamine bowls - great sets at Costco that have lids so great for storing salads, soups, etc. in the fridge. The large bowl is really large! Great for big salads, etc.

Everyone that sees them asks about them and buys them!

jumbopapa

Post by jumbopapa » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:45 am

I've essentially moved most of the items in my kitchen to OXO Good Grips products. They are high quality and I'm very happy with them. I have both the plastic and stainless steel sets.

Plastic: https://www.amazon.com/OXO-1066421-Mixi ... B007U256CS
Stainless Steel: https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-3-Piec ... B001715PN8

Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:51 am

Thanks all. Wound up going with some Cuisinart stainless steel ones that rated highly.

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:03 pm

badger42 wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:18 am
The Costco / Tramontina 3-piece metal mixing bowl set works great and is less than 20 bucks.

Or hit up your local restaurant supply place. For functional, buy what the pros use, which is light and sturdy stainless.
I have the Costco set as well. Love them!