Larry's new book The Complete Guide to a Successful & Secure Retirement

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
dwickenh

Larry's new book The Complete Guide to a Successful & Secure Retirement

Post by dwickenh » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:11 pm

I just received my copy of Larry's new book from Amazon on the porch 10 minutes ago. No report on the contents yet,
but I am going to start into it tonight. A link below for any interested parties.

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide-S ... dpSrc=srch
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett

Broken Man 1999

Re: Larry's new book THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO A SUCCESSFUL & SECURE RETIREMENT

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:48 pm

Thanks for the info!

Ordered. I've enjoyed reading and have learned a bunch from Larry's books, so I'm pretty sure I'll enjoy and learn something new from this one as well.

I like his style of writing very much.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

cody69

Post by cody69 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:25 pm

I've been waiting for this book to come out and purchased the Kindle version yesterday when it was available.
Have read the first few chapters and I am liking the contents. Not a surprise as I've read most if not all his prior books and have learned a lot.
With some trans-continental flights coming up will have time to read it entirely, will post back once I've gotten through all of it.

youngpleb

Post by youngpleb » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:53 pm

Preordered the Kindle edition a few weeks back and saw where it arrived the other day, but haven’t started it yet! I’ve never read any of his books, just his articles online, so I’m looking forward to it.
27. Always learning.

Summit111

Post by Summit111 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:55 pm

I heard Larry today on the Stacking Benjamins podcast. He talked a little about the book and why he wrote it.... plenty of good advice, and looking forward to reading it myself.

Summit

Jiu Jitsu Fighter

Post by Jiu Jitsu Fighter » Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:07 pm

Finished reading it last night. I would definitely recommend it although it's geared more toward retirees. It is at a level that most people that have somewhat of an interest in personal finance will have no trouble with the concepts. I always had hoped that Larry would write an advanced book on par with Antti Ilmanen's Expected Returns, but I know Larry likes to reach the broadest audience possible.

Five stars like the rest of his books.

sixtyforty

Re: Larry's new book The Complete Guide to a Successful & Secure Retirement

Post by sixtyforty » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:07 am

Jiu Jitsu Fighter wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:07 pm
Finished reading it last night. I would definitely recommend it although it's geared more toward retirees. It is at a level that most people that have somewhat of an interest in personal finance will have no trouble with the concepts. I always had hoped that Larry would write an advanced book on par with Antti Ilmanen's Expected Returns, but I know Larry likes to reach the broadest audience possible.

Five stars like the rest of his books.
It sounds like an interesting book. Did he get into withdrawal strategies ? Specifically, which accounts (tax or tax deferred) to draw from first, how much to withdraw from based on market conditions, whether to withdraw from bonds first or keep a balanced portfolio, best allocations for retirement etc etc ?
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

MnD

Post by MnD » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:20 am

Jiu Jitsu Fighter wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:07 pm
Finished reading it last night. I would definitely recommend it although it's geared more toward retirees.
That's fantastic (IMO) because relative to information on planning for retirement for those years or decades away, there is much less credible detailed content for those managing and living off their money when in retirement. I'm starting McClung's "Living off your Money" book this week and will add Larry's book to my reading list. 2019 is messy for us due to some significant post-employment lump-sum income, DW still working for part of the year etc. but I hope to have a detailed plan well in place well before 2020 when we will be 100% on retirement income streams.