Merrill Lynch Preferred Deposit

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
DTalos

Merrill Lynch Preferred Deposit

Post by DTalos » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:41 pm

I received an letter in mail about a bank deposit program from Merrill Lynch called Preferred Deposit that offers an interest rate of 1.56% vs the current .33% that I am currently earning in their Cash Management Account. The only "catch" that's prominently stated is that you would need to call your financial advisor to make deposits and withdrawals. The money is FDIC ensured and placed into a deposit account with Bank of America, N.A. What are the hidden or undisclosed "catches" to these higher interest rate accounts. Why would they offer such a higher interest rate with such few stated restrictions? Is Bank of America investing the deposits in riskier securities?

Longtermgrowth

Re: Merrill Lynch Preferred Deposit

Post by Longtermgrowth » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:09 pm

Merrill Edge account? Merrill Edge has two auto sweep options with a 7 day SEC yield close to that: BIF Money Fund and BIF Treasury Fund.
https://www.blackrock.com/cash/en-us/products/282856/

I use the BIF Money Fund to avoid phone calls, along with an online savings account that pays more than their Preferred Deposit rate.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:19 pm

Merrill Lynch is not the same as Merrill Edge.

OP, a lot of us don't use full service brokers like Merrill Lynch due to the high costs involved. You might get better responses on another forum.

Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:58 am

Longtermgrowth wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 6:09 pm
Merrill Edge account? Merrill Edge has two auto sweep options with a 7 day SEC yield close to that: BIF Money Fund and BIF Treasury Fund.
https://www.blackrock.com/cash/en-us/products/282856/

I use the BIF Money Fund to avoid phone calls, along with an online savings account that pays more than their Preferred Deposit rate.

I have a Merrill Lynch account, not Merrill Edge.

Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth » Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:15 am

DTalos wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:58 am
I have a Merrill Lynch account, not Merrill Edge.
Sorry about that. The options you listed are also available through Merrill Edge.

I just did a lot of searching trying to find automatic sweep money market funds for Merrill Lynch accounts, and found this article partially behind a paywall indicating there may not be any very soon, at least for new accounts: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj.co ... 1534880179

As far as the question about risk of Preferred Deposit, with so many FDIC insured online savings accounts paying close to and some over 2% currently, it sounds fairly average to me.

Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos » Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:44 am

I don't understand why the Cash Management Account pays .33% interest, yet the Preferred Deposit Account pays 1.56% interest and the latter is FDIC insured.

mega317

Post by mega317 » Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:47 am

One catch I can think of is the advisor has you on the phone to try to talk you into doing something more lucrative for him or her with the money. You are aware that you can get higher rates with FDIC, right?

Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:37 pm

I just looked at my statement and read that the cash management account is FDIC insured, but not SIPC insured. So, if both accounts are FDIC insured, what's the catch, other than having to contact the advisor for deposits and withdrawals?

megabad

Post by megabad » Thu Sep 06, 2018 4:53 pm

DTalos wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:37 pm
I just looked at my statement and read that the cash management account is FDIC insured, but not SIPC insured. So, if both accounts are FDIC insured, what's the catch, other than having to contact the advisor for deposits and withdrawals?
I have no experience with ML specifically but it appears you have outlined the extra step needed. If this is truly a bank account, you may not be able to freely move money between the two without ACH (slow). SIPC not relevant for bank accounts since no brokerage is involved. Since neither of these accounts serve a purpose to me other than a short term sweep account, the interest rate is not relevant in my mind. Actually, I would probably want a lower interest rate in my sweep account to avoid gains.

kevdude

Post by kevdude » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:55 pm

Interesting that the rate thru ML is 1.56%. We use Merrill Edge and the rate for their Preferred Deposit is 1.82%. It is FDIC insured up to $250k, but we do need to talk to a rep in order to move money in and out of it. The initial minimum is $100k, but it can drop below that. I'm not sure if there is a minimum number of days it has to be at/above the $100k before it can drop below.

FlamingoTime

Post by FlamingoTime » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:41 am

I'm in the process of opening a Merrill Edge account, mainly to maintain my Bank of America Platinum Honors perks. I was told by the Rep that there is no minimum time that the cash has to stay in the Preferred Deposit account after the minimum initial deposit of at least $100,000. The Preferred Deposit account is currently paying 1.97% interest. I was going to purchase some short term brokered CD's, but I'm now thinking perhaps I will keep it liquid until December to see what rates do.

md01

Post by md01 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:00 am

I spoke to one of their reps yesterday, and he quoted that the rate in the preferred deposit is now going up to 2.07%. The only "catch" as far as I can see is that you have to make a phone call for both deposits and withdrawals with same day settlement if calls are made before 4:30 pm ET.

md01

Post by md01 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:09 am

Couple of other notes from my call yesterday with the rep:
They incentivize you to bring money from other bank accounts by offering a one time bonus ranging from $150 to $600 depending on the amount brough tfrom other banks ranging from $50K to $200k+. There is a 50% booster on this bonus for existing platinum honors clients with BofA - so $225 to $900 if you already have the platinum honors benefit.

I asked him : what if I just moved a BofA to another bank and then re-routed to Merrill - will I still get the benefit of bringing money from an outside bank? His response was that they have ways to track the outflow/inflow of money from our accounts, so it is likely that we wouldn't get the benefit of cash bonus in this case.

Watts

Post by Watts » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:44 pm

Does anyone know the minimum maintenance balance to stay in Preferred Deposit? If the balance drops below $100k, are you automatically ejected from the savings account?

I can’t seem to find any info about this online. Thanks.

FlamingoTime

Post by FlamingoTime » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:50 pm

I just found a PDF document online that said it is a $100,000 minimum initial deposit in Preferred Deposit. I'm not sure if you have to keep a minimum balance. For some reason I don't think you do.

Watts

Post by Watts » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:35 pm

As an update, I contacted Merrill Edge. The rep said that after the $100K minimum deposit, there does not appear to be any penalty for having a balance less than $100K. I'll post an update if I get conflicting information.

Topic Author
DTalos

Post by DTalos » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:48 am

The Preferred Deposit doesn't mention anything about the ability of to write checks on it, a debit card, or conduct Bill Pay with it, like the Cash Management Account which pays a lower interest rate. Also don't know how the advisor would get the withdrawal to you? Would he/she just issue you a check?

The Cash Management Account has an annual fee of $125 per year. Not sure if there is any annual fee for the Preferred Deposit program.

Are brokerages liberal about waiving account fees?

gman10515

Post by gman10515 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 3:12 pm

Watts wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:35 pm
As an update, I contacted Merrill Edge. The rep said that after the $100K minimum deposit, there does not appear to be any penalty for having a balance less than $100K. I'll post an update if I get conflicting information.
I can attest to this. I have had significantly less than 100k in my MLPDA for 6 months with no issue.

azianbob

Post by azianbob » Wed Feb 06, 2019 7:53 pm

DTalos wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:48 am
The Preferred Deposit doesn't mention anything about the ability of to write checks on it, a debit card, or conduct Bill Pay with it, like the Cash Management Account which pays a lower interest rate. Also don't know how the advisor would get the withdrawal to you? Would he/she just issue you a check?

The Cash Management Account has an annual fee of $125 per year. Not sure if there is any annual fee for the Preferred Deposit program.

Are brokerages liberal about waiving account fees?
They only have the fee if you choose to have an advisor attached. If you do totally self directed option, there is no annual fee, only a transaction commission fee of $8 or something. But if you have more than $50k in assets they waive the fee for 30 trades a month