Yet another TLH Question

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
SOJ

Yet another TLH Question

Post by SOJ »

Hello, and Thanks for any input. I need to sell some Wellington and some Wellesley to harvest some tax losses, I'd like to buy Balanced Index for at least the 31 days, would this fund be substantially the same as either of the funds I am selling and constitute a wash sale? Thanks Again
Nate79

Re: Yet another TLH Question

Post by Nate79 »

SOJ wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:19 pm Hello, and Thanks for any input. I need to sell some Wellington and some Wellesley to harvest some tax losses, I'd like to buy Balanced Index for at least the 31 days, would this fund be substantially the same as either of the funds I am selling and constitute a wash sale? Thanks Again
Not even close to substantially identical in my opinion.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

Agree with above.
PhysicianOnFIRE

Post by PhysicianOnFIRE »

SOJ wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:19 pm Hello, and Thanks for any input. I need to sell some Wellington and some Wellesley to harvest some tax losses, I'd like to buy Balanced Index for at least the 31 days, would this fund be substantially the same as either of the funds I am selling and constitute a wash sale? Thanks Again
You're very much in the clear as far as purchasing a fund that's not substantially identical.

The issue I see is that none of these funds (Wellington, Wellesley, or Balanced Index) are particularly tax efficient. I wouldn't want to be holding any of these in a taxable brokerage account. You may want to TLH to a US stock index fund and muni bond fund.

:beer
-PoF
mcraepat9

Post by mcraepat9 »

PhysicianOnFIRE wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:35 pm
You're very much in the clear as far as purchasing a fund that's not substantially identical.

The issue I see is that none of these funds (Wellington, Wellesley, or Balanced Index) are particularly tax efficient. I wouldn't want to be holding any of these in a taxable brokerage account. You may want to TLH to a US stock index fund and muni bond fund.

:beer
-PoF
+1 POF is right on the money here. Great opportunity to fix tax efficiency of your taxable account holdings.
Amateur investors are not cool-headed logicians.
Topic Author
SOJ

Post by SOJ »

Thanks to all of you, good advice taken.