Boeing-time to buy?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
wulfric

Boeing-time to buy?

Post by wulfric » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:50 pm

I have been eyeing Boeing for some time. As of December 21 it was down to $304 per share, near its 52 week low of $294 per share, with the 52 week high being $394 per share. It's current dividend yield is about 2.6%. Morning star rates it 3 stars and a hold, while CFRA rates it a buy. It seems like its business is pretty healthy. Is it time to buy?

mhadden1

Re: Boeing-time to buy?

Post by mhadden1 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:56 pm

You mention a few things about Boeing that everybody knows. I would not suggest buying a single stock unless you know something about it that everybody else does not. Do you have special knowledge? (If you do, I am not asking you to reveal your ace in the hole. :happy )
Oh I can't, can I? That's what they said to Thomas Edison, mighty inventor, Thomas Lindberg, mighty flyer,and Thomas Shefsky, mighty like a rose.

Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer » Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:58 pm

when it goes from 304 a share to 200 a share.. can you stomach to hold it?

when GE went from 60 (in 2000) to 20ish (in 2003), things looked good... for a while.. but that dead cat bounced TWICE.

see:

https://finance.yahoo.com/chart/GE#eyJp ... 1dfQ%3D%3D

and scroll to the right..

and tell me that people wheren't confident in GE? sells airplane engines "power by the hour"
Last edited by Soon2BXProgrammer on Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:29 pm

It is never time to buy an individual stock. I learned that on this forum. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:27 pm

wulfric wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:50 pm
Is it time to buy?
Yes, as the relevant portion of a quality index mutual fund, such as VTSAX.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, _Layer Cake_ | | I survived my first downturn and all I got was this signature line.

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:46 pm

wulfric wrote:
Morning star rates it 3 stars and a hold, while CFRA rates it a buy. It seems like its business is pretty healthy. Is it time to buy?
You seem to put a lot of stock (pun intended) in what others think about it. Is that because you consider them "experts" and you are not an expert?

Have you considered that stock ratings can sometimes be nothing more than sales tools? I'm not suggesting anything nefarious in this particular instance with either of the companies you cite, but have you considered there tend to be far more buy recommendations than sell recommendations for most stocks? And when sell recommendations are made, it's usually only after the stock has tanked to some significant degree?

So if you're following other's buy recommendation, have you considered that by the time they offer a sell recommendation, it may be too late and you've already lost your shirt?

You remember the subprime crisis a decade ago? Remember how well of a job the credit rating agencies did with those tranches of mortgage backed securities? They rated a bunch of junk as AAA+ because there may have been a few solid mortgages on top of a bunch of junk subprime mortgages underneath. Those analysts were supposed to be protecting investors from taking risks they weren't prepared to take. Unfortunately, people who relied on the credit rating agencies lost their shirt when the truth came to light:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Credit_ra ... ime_crisis

I suggest before you put too much stock in what other people say, you read the following about stock ratings:

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/a ... 012103.asp
The Bottom Line

A rating is one person's view based upon his or her perspective, risk tolerance and current view of the market. This perspective may not be the same as yours.
I'm not sure about morningstar's analyst rating system with respect to individual stocks, but I know their star system for mutual funds are not predictive at all. Years ago they admitted their star system for mutual funds was essentially worthless and that the best predictor of future returns of mutual funds was how low the fees are.

source:
https://www.forbes.com/2009/01/29/mutua ... 1b944a3cb9
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-best-p ... rformance/
https://www.getrichslowly.org/morningst ... r-useless/

After having read these links what do you think?
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:04 pm

Morningstar gave a fair value on GE of $33 a couple of years ago. If you read it it looked like a thorough analysis and convincing. It closed Friday at $7.15. So I don’t know if you can trust what they say about Boeing.
Last edited by Nicolas on Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:18 pm

wulfric wrote:
I have been eyeing Boeing for some time. As of December 21 it was down to $304 per share, near its 52 week low of $294 per share, with the 52 week high being $394 per share. It's current dividend yield is about 2.6%. Morning star rates it 3 stars and a hold, while CFRA rates it a buy. It seems like its business is pretty healthy. Is it time to buy?
This the wrong forum for stock-picking advice. Most here buy the haystack rather than search for needles.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett

Topic Author
wulfric

Post by wulfric » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:27 pm

eye.surgeon wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:18 pm
wulfric wrote:
This the wrong forum for stock-picking advice. Most here buy the haystack rather than search for needles.
I believe the title to this forum is “Help with personal investments”. Thanks for your “help”.

RCL

Post by RCL » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:42 pm

The help was there,.... you just chose to not agree with it.
Good luck with your style of investing; most of us here are not successful following the individual stock buying path.
It Is Best To Consult Others Before Taking Unusual Actions

arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:08 pm

this is Bogleheads, not Boeingheads.

If its business is pretty healthy why has its stock price fallen 25% (difference between $394 high and $294, 52 week low)? And yet the market isn't down 25% from it's high. It's down 17.44% from its high point (source: https://quotes.morningstar.com/chart/fu ... A%5B%5D%7D)

Even if it fell from its high of $394 to $304 now, that's a 23% fall (which is worse than the total market and kinda my point).

An investor in Boeing took more risk (concentrated, idiosyncratic) and didn't get any extra reward for doing so. Investing in the broad market yielded better results at less risk.

If I tell you to buy Boeing, how do you know I don't own Boeing and am trying to get you to buy it at a higher price (prop up the stock so I can sell it at a higher price)?

If you buy Boeing, from whom are you buying it? Could be someone at Boeing (or anyone else) who doesn't think the prospects are good. They're selling it because they don't think it will go up and they want to sell it before losing (more). If they thought it would go up, they wouldn't sell it to you. They'd hold it til a future date and sell it for a higher price.

You on the other hand want to buy it because you think the price will go up in the future, otherwise why buy it now if you thought it would go down? In that case, you'd wait til the future to buy it at an even lower price, right?

You thnk it will go up. The entity selling to you thinks it will go down. Only one of you will be right. Feeling lucky?
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:31 am

arcticpineapplecorp. wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:08 pm
this is Bogleheads, not Boeingheads.
Yes, I was thinking the same thing. Investing in a diversified portfolio of low/no cost index funds and staying away from individual stocks is probably a better long term move.

goblue100

Post by goblue100 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:44 am

wulfric wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:27 pm
eye.surgeon wrote:
wulfric wrote:
I believe the title to this forum is “Help with personal investments”. Thanks for your “help”.
He meant Bogleheads is the wrong place for single stock advice.
https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Boglehe ... philosophy
Rather than trying to pick the specific securities or sectors of the market (US stocks, international stocks, and US bonds) that will outperform in the future, Bogleheads buy funds that are widely diversified, or even approximate the whole market.[10] This guarantees they will receive the average return of all investors. Being average sounds bad, but it is actually a great thing.
Financial planners are savers. They want us to be 95 percent confident we can finance a 30-year retirement even though there is an 82 percent probability of being dead by then. - Scott Burns

2pedals

Post by 2pedals » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:48 am

If you have to ask me if it time to buy any specific individual stock, it is not the time to buy that specific individual stock.
Last edited by 2pedals on Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

uberdoc

Post by uberdoc » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:52 am

No. Don't buy it and I am saying this based on something that you don't know. Will you still buy it?

drk

Post by drk » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:53 am

Yes, definitely check out the Bogleheads investment philosophy. Pay particular attention to numbers 4-6.

To answer your question, though: if you find yourself asking whether to buy Boeing on this forum, the answer is a resounding no.

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Sun Dec 23, 2018 11:54 am

It could be. Or maybe not. See, you really can’t know for sure. At its current price, about 50% of people think it is (buyers), while another 50% of people think it is not (sellers). I learned not to try to play that game anymore.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:15 pm

wulfric wrote:
The normal time to buy Boeing is when the order book is rising -- catch the point of inflection on the next cycle*. I doubt that is right now?

You will find that, even if you have access to very good analyst research, that stock picking is something even the professional active managers don't, generally, beat the index doing stock picking.

* related - after they have incurred the cost of the new airliner (but watch for capitalization of R&D costs!) but before they start delivering. Unfortunately the delays with the Dreamliner have really hurt them.

suemarkp

Post by suemarkp » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:23 pm

I work there and have about $70K Boeing stock in my 401K. I've have not been adding to Boeing stock in my 401K for years except for reinvested dividends. I scraped off about $50K in gains over the last year or two since its rise has been crazy. Having it in your 401K is the easiest way to buy and sell it without cost.

Over the years, I've received some Boeing stock. I sold it every time because from what I saw I didn't think things were well run. But shareholders obviously felt differently because the stock has done pretty well and so has the company from a financial point of view. So I should have held that stock. We are selling a lot of planes, but have other problems (tanker disaster, 787 battery fire issue, others that I've forgotten). I don't know anything more than anyone else. I learn more from local news and news paper than what the company tells us.

So this probably isn't helping you.... For me, I don't buy single stocks except for this one because its easy. But it won't exceed 10% of my 401K. If it does, I scrape off the excess into something else. My FA knows someone who has all of their retirement in Boeing stock. Sounds terrible to me, but they must have doubled their account in the last year. Probably dropped a lot recently though.
Last edited by suemarkp on Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mark | Kent, WA

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:29 pm

For active investors, seeking alpha might be a better choice.
Though to be fair, I've made a bunch of investments over the years
from reading SA and in total it has performed less than the total mkt index.
Fortunately only a small % of my investments.

The problem, from my end, that it just served as an example of "confirmation bias".
I tended to look for and follow articles that agreed with what I was thinking.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:34 pm

If you bought Boeing at 379 maybe you would want to buy more right now to try to make up your losses. Or maybe you would wait for 170 before you bought more. Or maybe you would sell now. I would just buy Total Stock Market index fund and get my Boeing at market weight.

CABob

Post by CABob » Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:52 pm

Remember that every time you purchase a stock there is someone who has chosen to sell the stock. It is likely that the person selling is a professional. Are you smarter than (s)he is?
The reverse is also true.
Bob

drk

Post by drk » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:05 pm

Rob5TCP wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:29 pm

The problem, from my end, that it just served as an example of "confirmation bias".
Isn't Seeking Alpha just a blogging platform, similar to Forbes Contributors?

Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:38 pm

drk wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:05 pm
Rob5TCP wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:29 pm

Isn't Seeking Alpha just a blogging platform, similar to Forbes Contributors?
It is a platform -- but most seem to be mostly active investors
with contributors (frequently with thousands of followers each)
posting articles on the stocks they are following. The articles usually
run anywhere from a page to up to a dozen page with charts supporting
their positions.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:39 pm

wulfric wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:27 pm
eye.surgeon wrote:
wulfric wrote:
Look up higher, at the title of the web site:

"Bogleheads.org
Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle"

Mr. Bogle does not espouse buying individual stocks. So the "help" you received is in line with the premise of the site in general.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

suemarkp

Post by suemarkp » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:14 pm

CABob wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:52 pm
Remember that every time you purchase a stock there is someone who has chosen to sell the stock. It is likely that the person selling is a professional. Are you smarter than (s)he is?
Is it? With all the robo traders and people with stop losses on their account, is all the selling necessarily smart or just triggered when some news event happens? If VTSAX is sold, doesn't that even put a bit of Boeing on the market?

Overall I agree with your concept -- picking individual stocks is gambling unless you have a lot of good deep analysis or perhaps inside information . But if you have that, then it is Insider Trading which you don't want to be doing either.
Mark | Kent, WA

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:27 pm

CABob wrote:
Sun Dec 23, 2018 3:52 pm
Deleted
Last edited by LilyFleur on Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:05 pm

Ouch for those who sold Boeing early!

LK2012

Post by LK2012 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 5:53 pm

wulfric wrote:
Well, Boeing closed above 410 today. The volatility has been staggering, but this time it was to the up side. So, OP, did you buy?

Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:11 pm

Glad I stuck with Boeing after thinking of getting out at around 350.

dogagility

Post by dogagility » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:48 pm

wulfric wrote:
IMO, it's never a good time to purchase a single stock... too much concentration.
Beware of the "advice" coming from the financial news industry.
Taking "risk" since 1995.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:54 pm

The danger with the advice is that sometimes it is right. Like for buying Boeing this past December. Now at $426.

This is known in finance as "The exception that proves the rule."

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:59 pm

Fieldsy1024 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:11 pm
Sometimes you just have to learn through experience.

Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:27 pm

munemaker wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:59 pm
Fieldsy1024 wrote:
Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:11 pm
Sometimes you just have to learn through experience.
I learned a lot

3funder

Post by 3funder » Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:31 am

In November 2016, it was somewhere in the neighborhood of $150/share; heck, in March 2009, it was $40/share. That would have been the time to buy. Going forward, your money is likely better off in an index fund.

Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:59 pm

I remember when I first got hired I knew nothing just that I needed to do the company match. It was at 28 and change I believe Mid 2007. I'm very grateful to say the least.

Thegame14

Post by Thegame14 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:08 pm

if I were buying individual stocks, Id much rather buy BRK-B, BASFY and T.

deltaneutral83

Post by deltaneutral83 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:31 pm

Fieldsy1024 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:59 pm
I remember when I first got hired I knew nothing just that I needed to do the company match. It was at 28 and change I believe Mid 2007. I'm very grateful to say the least.
Not sure if you're implying you were all BA in your 401k but Boeing from 7/1/2007 (Mid 2007) to 7/1/2016 matched the S&P. It would have been tremendous risk to simply match the S&P dabbling in a single stock for 9 years as compared to just indexing. The parabolic move on Boeing's part has been since July 2016 I believe, or 2.66 years. There is no doubt there is a high probability that a large cap will dominate the S&P over the next 2.66 years, problem is, I have no idea which one, and nether does anyone else who does not possess non public information. Count your lucky stars you started your career for Boeing in 2007 and not Enron in 1994.

Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:38 pm

I started in March of 2007. For the first year or so I had it all in BA at the age of 22. Once it got to around 150 I put 80% in S&P, 20% BA. Not until a couple years ago I kind of went with the flow and was 50% S&P 50% BA. I didnt seem too worried about the big drop it had when it went back down to 290ish.

I'm 34 now and I will reevaluate what I want to do if the price gets under 400.

I know I'm in the vast minority here, but I believe in our work and our future. My head and my gut tell me to keep doing what I am doing, but I'm fully aware the gravy train has got to stop sometime. If it goes past 400 I'd probably keep 10% in BA.

Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:16 pm

Thegame14 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:08 pm
I dont really invest in single stocks other than Boeing.

Wiggums

Post by Wiggums » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:32 pm

Like any manufacturing sector, there are no guarantees that the aviation industry won’t be immune from an economic downturn, or other business variables. Hence, the big price swings.

The BH philosophy is not to hold individual stocks. Holding the index fund includes Boeing.

Disclosure: I no longer purchase individual stocks.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:35 pm

Well if boglehead threads are a counter indicator like with Bitcoin, 100% stock portfolios, etc, its definitely time to sell BA.

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:26 pm

Quit while you are ahead?

If you have been buying BA in your 401k you can probably rebalance your account (without tax consequences since it stays in the account) to something besides Boeing stock - index stock or bond fund, whichever you need for your desired AA. Or you can let it ride and take the chance.

Decisions, decisions. Knowing when to get in and when to get out.
Last edited by NotWhoYouThink on Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:26 pm

Fieldsy1024 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:16 pm
Thegame14 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 3:08 pm
I dont really invest in single stocks other than Boeing.
But why the exception? Do you know something about BA that the rest of the investors don't? If so, you need to retake that insider trading training.

It's very interesting how often people have this exception for "my company stock". Other than the NUA tax treatment, I don't see much reason for it.

Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:44 pm

I dont know anymore than you Earl.
Last edited by Fieldsy1024 on Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:45 pm

NotWhoYouThink wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:26 pm
Quit while you are ahead?

If you have been buying BA in your 401k you can probably rebalance your account (without tax consequences sit it stays in the account) to something besides Boeing stock - index stock or bond fund, whichever you need for your desired AA. Or you can let it ride and take the chance.

Decisions, decisions. Knowing when to get in and when to get out.
If it gets down to 399 I will pull out.

Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:47 pm

After realizing the risk vs reward I did pull out 45% of 55% that I held in my AA. I got out at 440 and glad I did. 10% is still in Boeing Stock, but since I'm 34, I need to not be super risky and gamble.

LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:09 pm

LilyFleur wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:58 pm
Fieldsy1024 wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:59 pm
+1
And it is a dividend stock.
I am very grateful, also, but I cannot take much credit other than signing up for the company match and listening to my advisor in 2008 when it drop several hundred thousand--she said she had studied Boeing and it was a great company and just to hang in there and not lose a wink of sleep over it! By the end of 2016, I was 90% in Boeing and it watching it was like a cocaine rush in 2017. While I was still working, I didn't even know what an AA was. Then I retired and discovered Bogleheads. When the tariff talk started up in early 2018, I sold for a more age-appropriate AA, but kept 10% in Boeing. (purely emotional, that company was very good to me and the dividends kept me alive the year I was unemployed and had some big hospital bills). Now, it has exceeded 10% but I just don't have the heart to rebalance.

DrGoogle2017

Post by DrGoogle2017 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:14 pm

I know nothing that’s why I loaded up. I’m back to neutral now. Whatever that means(borrowing Prince Charles here).

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:56 pm

LilyFleur wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:58 pm
isn't there a way to delete a post?
Yes, but you can't once there is any reply to the thread. That includes your second post. So when you double-post, you should delete the second one.