Vanguard's account readout changes overnight?

Discuss all general (i.e. non-personal) investing questions and issues, investing news, and theory.
Topic Author
SpringMan

Vanguard's account readout changes overnight?

Post by SpringMan » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:58 am

Is it just me or has anyone noticed some of Vanguard's account readouts changed from Friday evening to Saturday morning? I am not talking about funds December distributions either. Thanks. I have seen this in the past and sometimes at Fidelity as well. I suppose I could have committed typing mistakes.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

David Jay

Re: Vanguard's account readout changes overnight?

Post by David Jay » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:05 am

The summary information on your account is updated at a different time than the detail information, and the actual times seem to vary from day to day. So for a period of time overnight they do not match.

They are always correct and in agreement before market open on trading days. So if you want guaranteed accurate information (say, for record keeping), I recommend collecting the information between 8 and 9 AM on a day the market is open.
Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future - Niels Bohr | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius

Topic Author
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:12 am

Of course ETFs will change during the business day but not on Saturday. The discrepancies I noticed where in some Vanguard mutual funds.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:13 am

SpringMan wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:58 am
Is it just me or has anyone noticed some of Vanguard's account readouts changed from Friday evening to Saturday morning? I am not talking about funds December distributions either. Thanks. I have seen this in the past and sometimes at Fidelity as well. I suppose I could have committed typing mistakes.
The differences from what I saw last night at 7pm and this morning appear to be equal to the dividends paid out last night that showed up in my Quicken download this morning.

Because of one outside account that holds Vanguard funds it takes until 7pm normally for the total to be correct. At 6:30 each night I can normally see the funds held at Vanguard accurately updated and are identical to what I see the next morning.

Cheers

Grogs

Post by Grogs » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:41 am

Perhaps something a bit different, but this morning I grabbed the closing NAV for my funds from Google and entered them into my spreadsheet. A few minutes later, I logged into VG to get my distribution info and typed the number of new shares into my spreadsheet. The total balance on my IRA was a bit different than what my spreadsheet was calculating. When I looked more closely, Google was telling me $24.77 for VTIAX (total international) and VG was saying $24.78. Maybe it was just a rounding error by Google when subtracting the dividend? Still, one would think they would just pull the NAV directly from VG rather than calculating it.

Topic Author
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:08 am

On further investigation I see my mistake, today's mistake anyway. I missed two of my index fund's distributions, VSMAX and VIMAX.
Thanks to those that replied.
Best Wishes, SpringMan