Beta Vanguard APP

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
retire2022
Posts: 951
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:10 pm
Location: NYC

Beta Vanguard APP

Post by retire2022 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:01 pm

Hi

Just to let you know I have been selected to Beta test Vanguard's Mobile APP, did anyone get this message?

Join the beta test group and help shape the next Vanguard app
We're redesigning the Vanguard app from the ground up, and we're looking for you to help us test it and provide your feedback.
Vanguard icon

If you're new to beta testing, it's really simple. Here's how it works:

Sign up for the beta group using the button below.
Wait a couple weeks and you'll receive a link to download the beta app
Use the beta app and provide us with your valuable feedback.

You'll just need an iPhone and at least one brokerage account with one or more holdings.

User avatar
jhfenton
Posts: 4254
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:17 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Beta Vanguard APP

Post by jhfenton » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:35 pm

I have not received the email, but I would like to test it. I helped them uncover a bug in the app update when they introduced the feed to the app. (The app would crash if the phone were set to a language other than English.) I spent a while on the phone troubleshooting with a Vanguard developer who called me.

User avatar
Mr Winston
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:03 pm
Location: Denver

Beta Test New Vanguard App... Is this a scam?

Post by Mr Winston » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:02 am

[merged this post and its replies into the existing thread - moderator prudent]

I was invited to be a beta tester for Vanguard new app or website. Is this a scam or is it true?

UpperNwGuy
Posts: 2657
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Re: Beta Test New Vanguard App... Is this a scam?

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:03 am

Got the same invitation. Wondered the same thing.

User avatar
Mr Winston
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:03 pm
Location: Denver

Re: Beta Test New Vanguard App... Is this a scam?

Post by Mr Winston » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:13 am

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:03 am
Got the same invitation. Wondered the same thing.
You try it first and let me know :D

User avatar
arcticpineapplecorp.
Posts: 4515
Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:22 pm

Re: Beta Test New Vanguard App... Is this a scam?

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:15 am

could you contact Vanguard and notify them? Iimagine they might want to know about this especially if it is a scam, to at a minimum put an alert out to Vanguard customers.
"May you live as long as you want and never want as long as you live" -- Irish Blessing | "Invest we must" -- Jack Bogle

UpperNwGuy
Posts: 2657
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Re: Beta Test New Vanguard App... Is this a scam?

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:15 am

Mr Winston wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:13 am
UpperNwGuy wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:03 am
Got the same invitation. Wondered the same thing.
You try it first and let me know :D
Not a chance. I don't click on email links, and I don't do any kind of beta testing for any product.

NYCguy
Posts: 331
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 12:42 pm

Re: Beta Test New Vanguard App... Is this a scam?

Post by NYCguy » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:23 am

Please report to Vanguard ASAP and report back to the forum if you learn anything. Thanks
If your out-go is greater than your income, your upkeep will be your DOWNFALL.

User avatar
Mr Winston
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:03 pm
Location: Denver

Re: Beta Test New Vanguard App... Is this a scam?

Post by Mr Winston » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:46 am

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:15 am
Mr Winston wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:13 am
UpperNwGuy wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:03 am
Got the same invitation. Wondered the same thing.
You try it first and let me know :D
Not a chance. I don't click on email links, and I don't do any kind of beta testing for any product.
Mr UpperNwGuy you know I was just joking... right? I don't click on any email either. :happy

Topic Author
retire2022
Posts: 951
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:10 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Beta Test New Vanguard App... Is this a scam?

Post by retire2022 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:57 am

it is the same email as their announcements so far it is not a spoof

vanguard@eonline.e-vanguard.com

Also I'd posted this on the board

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=264108

User avatar
Ricchan
Posts: 177
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:26 am
Location: Firestone D Floor

Re: Beta Test New Vanguard App... Is this a scam?

Post by Ricchan » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:00 pm

retire2022 wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:57 am
it is the same email as their announcements so far it is not a spoof

vanguard@eonline.e-vanguard.com

Also I'd posted this on the board

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=264108
You'd think they would send email from vanguard.com instead of a scammy looking alternate domain like e-vanguard.com. And is it just me or does "eonline" sound redundant, like "ewebsite" or "einternet?" I guess they just like the sound of e-everything, like Apple and their i-things. :)

Jmh04j
Posts: 102
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:40 pm

Re: Beta Vanguard APP

Post by Jmh04j » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:59 am

Has anyone heard any update on this? Vanguard with a modern app (like Schwabs) would be Nirvana...

Topic Author
retire2022
Posts: 951
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:10 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Beta Vanguard APP

Post by retire2022 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:07 pm

Jmh04j wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:59 am
Has anyone heard any update on this? Vanguard with a modern app (like Schwabs) would be Nirvana...
Not yet, they have not tapped me for their beta software.

Desert
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:21 pm

Re: Beta Vanguard APP

Post by Desert » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:27 pm

There is a mobile app page on Vanguard's website.

Topic Author
retire2022
Posts: 951
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:10 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Beta Vanguard APP

Post by retire2022 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:52 pm

Desert wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:27 pm
There is a mobile app page on Vanguard's website.
Desert, some of Vanguard account holders were tapped to use their Beta software, so far as one who was sent a note, a follow-up on Beta down load and use of application has not occurred that is what we are discussing.

Desert
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:21 pm

Re: Beta Vanguard APP

Post by Desert » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:01 pm

Ah, sorry .. I wasn't aware of an app existing previously, so I thought this version on the website was the beta you were discussing. Carry on! :)

jebmke
Posts: 9837
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Beta Test New Vanguard App... Is this a scam?

Post by jebmke » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:02 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:15 am
Mr Winston wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:13 am
UpperNwGuy wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:03 am
Got the same invitation. Wondered the same thing.
You try it first and let me know :D
Not a chance. I don't click on email links, and I don't do any kind of beta testing for any product.
Me either. I have zero faith in mobile device security. I'd never use one for financial sites.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

Topic Author
retire2022
Posts: 951
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:10 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Beta Test New Vanguard App... Is this a scam?

Post by retire2022 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:23 pm

jebmke wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:02 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:15 am
Mr Winston wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:13 am
UpperNwGuy wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:03 am
Got the same invitation. Wondered the same thing.
You try it first and let me know :D
Not a chance. I don't click on email links, and I don't do any kind of beta testing for any product.
Me either. I have zero faith in mobile device security. I'd never use one for financial sites.
Facebook, google and your ISP know lots about you, the private sector has more information on you as well and as as a Luddite should live in a cave.

bhjjk19
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:47 pm
Location: Buffalo NY area

Re: Beta Vanguard APP

Post by bhjjk19 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:03 am

Putting ANY financial App on a cell phone seems pretty risky to me...

Housedoc
Posts: 458
Joined: Thu May 24, 2018 4:25 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Beta Vanguard APP

Post by Housedoc » Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:33 am

I have no problem with phone security. I either use home secure wifi or 4g data. Never public wifi.

jebmke
Posts: 9837
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Beta Vanguard APP

Post by jebmke » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:59 am

retire2022 wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:23 pm
Facebook, google and your ISP know lots about you, the private sector has more information on you as well and as as a Luddite should live in a cave.
What makes you think I'm a luddite?

Facebook would have hard time knowing much but they might -- I have never had an account with them.

Google certainly probably knows some but I take precautions. Chrome is logged into my Google account but is only used for the calendar. All my searches are done in a separate non-Chrome browser in a virtual machine without any log-in to Google.

Just because someone knows something doesn't mean you have to intentionally expose yourself for no particular value. I can reach my financial institutions from a separate Linux VM on my desktop (ie., not the same VM used for general purpose browsing). I am rarely gone for more than a couple weeks at a time so there really is no need for me to access my financial accounts from a mobile device.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

User avatar
jhfenton
Posts: 4254
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:17 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Beta Vanguard APP

Post by jhfenton » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:12 am

jebmke wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:02 pm
Me either. I have zero faith in mobile device security. I'd never use one for financial sites.
bhjjk19 wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:03 am
Putting ANY financial App on a cell phone seems pretty risky to me...
I would take the security on an iPhone over a Windows PC. As long as you avoid public wifi for sensitive applications or use a trustworthy VPN, you should be safe.

I received an email invitation to express interest in testing the Vanguard beta app, and I expressed my interest as requested. But I have not received any further information or an actual invitation to test an app.

I am currently testing 3 apps for reputable developers. Two use Apple's original TestFlight. One uses BuddyBuild, which Apple now also owns.

User avatar
jhfenton
Posts: 4254
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:17 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Beta Vanguard APP

Post by jhfenton » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:19 am

And in a miraculous bit of timing, I just received an email with more information 3 minutes after my previous post. They are going to be using TestFlight, and they will be sending a separate email with a TestFlight invitation code in the next few days.

User avatar
heartwood
Posts: 1426
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Beta Vanguard APP

Post by heartwood » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:53 am

Desert wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:27 pm
There is a mobile app page on Vanguard's website.
I've had the android app for years. I never knew the iphone version had fingerprint and face recognition. I would welcome the additions.

User avatar
jhfenton
Posts: 4254
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:17 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Beta Vanguard APP

Post by jhfenton » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:43 pm

heartwood wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:53 am
Desert wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:27 pm
There is a mobile app page on Vanguard's website.
I've had the android app for years. I never knew the iphone version had fingerprint and face recognition. I would welcome the additions.
It is nice. The existing iPhone app does allow access via TouchID or FaceID, but it still requires a password for anything beyond looking at holdings and transactions.

Topic Author
retire2022
Posts: 951
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:10 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Beta Vanguard APP

Post by retire2022 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:30 pm

jhfenton wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:19 am
And in a miraculous bit of timing, I just received an email with more information 3 minutes after my previous post. They are going to be using TestFlight, and they will be sending a separate email with a TestFlight invitation code in the next few days.
Yes just got my email instructions to download Testflight. I will see what happens in the next few days. Perhaps Apple/Vanguard been reading this thread. :D

User avatar
jhfenton
Posts: 4254
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:17 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Beta Vanguard APP

Post by jhfenton » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:50 pm

I just received my TestFlight invitation and installed the beta app.

snowprince
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2018 1:24 pm

Re: Beta Vanguard APP

Post by snowprince » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:01 pm

I installed it too. It is very basic, looks like more features will be added later on.

Topic Author
retire2022
Posts: 951
Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:10 pm
Location: NYC

Re: Beta Vanguard APP

Post by retire2022 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:11 pm

All, just got my testflight invitation and installed beta software, I agree it is very basic, and minimalist appearance compared to current app.

User avatar
jhfenton
Posts: 4254
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:17 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Beta Vanguard APP

Post by jhfenton » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:50 pm

It is very skeletal at the moment. It really isn't ready for public testing. In traditional software development, I would consider this an alpha version. I've done alpha testing in the past, and it requires a different kind of feedback from testers. Beta versions usually have at least the core functionality present.

At this point, it doesn't even handle displaying settlement fund and negative cash balances in a meaningful way. In one account, I have a $1,268.75 settlement fund balance and an offsetting debit for the same amount. (I received a bond interest payment after hours on Monday and invested it in am existing mutual fund.) If I click into to that account, it show the settlement fund at the bottom of the list of holdings, but nowhere does it show the debit or the available cash.

I also have two individual bond holdings in that account, and it labels them Holding 3 and Holding 4 rather than putting their CUSIP or name at the top of the holding tile. (It lists their full name in smaller text underneath the holding balance.)

The tiles for each holding are so large that I can only see 4 holdings (or 4 account balances) on the screen at one time, and even though the tiles are huge, they contain only the Symbol, balance, name, and a broken % indicator. You have to click through further to see the number of shares held.

It did handle login and code entry fairly well, but it did not integrate fully with Apple's third-party password API or new automatic 2FA code entry. The automatic 2FA code entry probably doesn't work because they are using a custom interface for the code entry (i.e., six large hyphens on replaced with numbers as you type).

I'm going to get my comments together in the morning and submit my feedback through the app.

User avatar
Mr Winston
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:03 pm
Location: Denver

Re: Beta Vanguard APP

Post by Mr Winston » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:36 pm

I spoke with vanguard today. The person I spoke to knew nothing about vanguard beta testing software. I immediately deleted all the emails related to the invitation I received from test flight.

PinotGris
Posts: 674
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:38 pm

Re: Beta Vanguard APP

Post by PinotGris » Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:05 pm

Vanguard has a mobile app for iPhone and I have used it. I cannot download it on my iPad because it is too old and the version has no updates. I never received any invitation to test.

User avatar
jhfenton
Posts: 4254
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:17 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Beta Vanguard APP

Post by jhfenton » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:41 am

Mr Winston wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:36 pm
I spoke with vanguard today. The person I spoke to knew nothing about vanguard beta testing software. I immediately deleted all the emails related to the invitation I received from test flight.
There is absolutely no doubt that it is a legitimate Vanguard app. I would not expect a a custom service rep to be aware of pre-release software development.
PinotGris wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:05 pm
Vanguard has a mobile app for iPhone and I have used it. I cannot download it on my iPad because it is too old and the version has no updates. I never received any invitation to test.
Vanguard currently has a separate iPad app. It is up-to-date and works on the latest versions of iOS.

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Moderator
Posts: 6390
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Re: Beta Vanguard APP

Post by oldcomputerguy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:04 am

jhfenton wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:12 am
I would take the security on an iPhone over a Windows PC. As long as you avoid public wifi for sensitive applications or use a trustworthy VPN, you should be safe.
My initial thoughts were along those lines. Then I began seeing instances of my Safari browser on my iPad being hijacked by popups that could not be dismissed. Clearing one of these things required me to power the tablet down completely and back up. I guess it proves that nothing is 100% safe.
I received an email invitation to express interest in testing the Vanguard beta app, and I expressed my interest as requested. But I have not received any further information or an actual invitation to test an app.
I guess the thing that worries me about this is the fact that, in order to "beta test" this app, I would have to enter my login credentials for my Vanguard account into it. Heaven alone knows what would happen from there, especially if I were not 100% convinced of the lineage of the app. And given the comments above about the solicitation email having not come from vanguard.com, my BS detector has wrapped the needle around the stop.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

User avatar
jhfenton
Posts: 4254
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:17 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Beta Vanguard APP

Post by jhfenton » Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:52 am

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:04 am
I guess the thing that worries me about this is the fact that, in order to "beta test" this app, I would have to enter my login credentials for my Vanguard account into it. Heaven alone knows what would happen from there, especially if I were not 100% convinced of the lineage of the app. And given the comments above about the solicitation email having not come from vanguard.com, my BS detector has wrapped the needle around the stop.
The beta app is tied to the same Vanguard Group, Inc. Apple developer account as all of the published Vanguard apps.

TestFlight is not an open platform. TestFlight releases are connected to your Apple developer account just like App Store releases. Beta apps don’t get the scrutiny from Apple that release apps do, so I wouldn’t test an app from a unvetted developer, but I test pre-release versions for a few established developers.

But you’re not missing anything not testing the app at this point. It is useless in its current state. :sharebeer

User avatar
oldcomputerguy
Moderator
Posts: 6390
Joined: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:50 am
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Re: Beta Vanguard APP

Post by oldcomputerguy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:37 am

jhfenton wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:52 am
But you’re not missing anything not testing the app at this point. It is useless in its current state. :sharebeer
Good to know. Thanks.

I must confess that I don't really see a need for a mobile app to access my Vanguard account in the first place. I don't trade that frequently, usually only when (a) I need to cash out some funds for a specific reason or (b) to rebalance. And I can do both of those from my home Linux box. So since I have little to no need for mobile access, I guess I truly am not missing anything. :happy
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

User avatar
jhfenton
Posts: 4254
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:17 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Beta Vanguard APP

Post by jhfenton » Thu Dec 20, 2018 9:24 am

oldcomputerguy wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:37 am
jhfenton wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 7:52 am
But you’re not missing anything not testing the app at this point. It is useless in its current state. :sharebeer
Good to know. Thanks.

I must confess that I don't really see a need for a mobile app to access my Vanguard account in the first place. I don't trade that frequently, usually only when (a) I need to cash out some funds for a specific reason or (b) to rebalance. And I can do both of those from my home Linux box. So since I have little to no need for mobile access, I guess I truly am not missing anything. :happy
I hardly ever use the existing mobile app either. For one reason, the app had a long-standing bug that made it impossible to place mutual fund trades or ETF limit orders if the language on my phone was set to French or Spanish. If you typed in 150.00 for a limit price, it would convert it to 150,00 and then interpret it as $15,000.00. I just tested the app, though, before I complained again, and they seem to have fixed the problem.

They have also recently fixed the mobile check deposit on the existing app. It had not previously worked with brokerage accounts. You can still only deposit them to your settlement fund, but it's a start.

PinotGris
Posts: 674
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:38 pm

Re: Beta Vanguard APP

Post by PinotGris » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:36 pm

jhfenton wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:41 am
Mr Winston wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:36 pm
I spoke with vanguard today. The person I spoke to knew nothing about vanguard beta testing software. I immediately deleted all the emails related to the invitation I received from test flight.
There is absolutely no doubt that it is a legitimate Vanguard app. I would not expect a a custom service rep to be aware of pre-release software development.
PinotGris wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:05 pm
Vanguard has a mobile app for iPhone and I have used it. I cannot download it on my iPad because it is too old and the version has no updates. I never received any invitation to test.
Vanguard currently has a separate iPad app. It is up-to-date and works on the latest versions of iOS.
Yes, only on the latest. Cannot download on mine.

User avatar
jhfenton
Posts: 4254
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:17 am
Location: Ohio

Re: Beta Vanguard APP

Post by jhfenton » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:54 pm

PinotGris wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:36 pm
jhfenton wrote:
Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:41 am
PinotGris wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:05 pm
Vanguard has a mobile app for iPhone and I have used it. I cannot download it on my iPad because it is too old and the version has no updates. I never received any invitation to test.
Vanguard currently has a separate iPad app. It is up-to-date and works on the latest versions of iOS.
Yes, only on the latest. Cannot download on mine.
It says that it requires iOS 10 or later (i.e. 10, 11, or 12). You must have one of the first 3 iPads or the original iPad mini. My son still uses his original mini, and it is stuck on iOS 9 too.

ParlayBogle
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:01 pm

Vanguard beta app email - legit or phishing?

Post by ParlayBogle » Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:56 am

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Address is from a domain called 'e-vanguard.com'.

Image

User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 9372
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Vanguard beta app email - legit or phishing?

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:16 am

I DETEST that Vanguard (and some other financial institutions) send "clickable links in email", despite ALL "best practices" for computer security about NOT clicking on those!

No doubt IF one clicked on a "bad email link" from some scammer, Vanguard would blame you for being so careless/reckless/stupid/etc., and if there were some loss, then claim, "Too bad; you blew it."

They (especially FINANCIAL vendors!) should ask you to go to their regular website using your regular link or to log in to your own account, also using your regular link, and then go to <whatever>.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

open_circuit
Posts: 276
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:20 am

Re: Vanguard beta app email - legit or phishing?

Post by open_circuit » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:19 am

Data point -- I got the same e-mail today as well.

User avatar
SpringMan
Posts: 5411
Joined: Wed Mar 21, 2007 11:32 am
Location: Michigan

Re: Vanguard beta app email - legit or phishing?

Post by SpringMan » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:19 am

I got this same thing. I don't know if it is phishing or legit. I have no need to access Vanguard by an Android phone. I use a desktop or laptop computer to access Vanguard, so I deleted the email.
Best Wishes, SpringMan

jebmke
Posts: 9837
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Vanguard beta app email - legit or phishing?

Post by jebmke » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:20 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:16 am
No doubt IF one clicked on a "bad email link" from some scammer, Vanguard would blame you for being so careless/reckless/stupid/etc., and if there were some loss, then claim, "Too bad; you blew i
this is why I never access financial sites, including shopping sites like Amazon, from any device that has mail on it. I am especially leery of mobile devices and would never use one for financial accounts but I don't even use a computer that has mail active - much less click on a link.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

BlackHat
Posts: 91
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:47 pm

Re: Vanguard beta app email - legit or phishing?

Post by BlackHat » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:24 am

Well I signed up.
“Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.” -- Confucius

User avatar
Zephavest
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:09 am
Location: Texas

Re: Vanguard beta app email - legit or phishing?

Post by Zephavest » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:30 am

I just received the same email.

Looking up both the e-vanguard.com and vanguard.com at https://whois.icann.org/en shows the same registrant for both domains:

The Vanguard Group, Inc.

sport
Posts: 8537
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Cleveland, OH

Re: Vanguard beta app email - legit or phishing?

Post by sport » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:36 am

Whenever you receive a suspicious email like this, the best thing to do is to contact the company separately from the email and ask if the message is actually from that company. When you do this, do not use any links or phone numbers in the email. Use contact information you already have elsewhere.

cherijoh
Posts: 6357
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:49 pm
Location: Charlotte NC

Re: Vanguard beta app email - legit or phishing?

Post by cherijoh » Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:39 am

ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:16 am
I DETEST that Vanguard (and some other financial institutions) send "clickable links in email", despite ALL "best practices" for computer security about NOT clicking on those!

No doubt IF one clicked on a "bad email link" from some scammer, Vanguard would blame you for being so careless/reckless/stupid/etc., and if there were some loss, then claim, "Too bad; you blew it."

They (especially FINANCIAL vendors!) should ask you to go to their regular website using your regular link or to log in to your own account, also using your regular link, and then go to <whatever>.

RM
I agree.

One practical tip is the hover over the email addess or right click on the link and then copy it into an application like Wordpad or Word. In the case of phishing, the actual link may be different from what appears in your browser. It's just like spoofing phone numbers. If the URLs don't agree, it is very likely phishing. But it isn't automatically safe if they do agree - it could just be a more sophisticated phisher when there are weird add-ons to a familiar website.

One time, my credit card company contacted me about potential fraudulent activity on my account. The customer service rep immediately launched into their authenication routine wanting my account number, etc. I refused and reminded them that they had called ME! And this was the department that dealt with fraud! :oops:

User avatar
ResearchMed
Posts: 9372
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: Vanguard beta app email - legit or phishing?

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:05 am

cherijoh wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:39 am
ResearchMed wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 10:16 am
I DETEST that Vanguard (and some other financial institutions) send "clickable links in email", despite ALL "best practices" for computer security about NOT clicking on those!

No doubt IF one clicked on a "bad email link" from some scammer, Vanguard would blame you for being so careless/reckless/stupid/etc., and if there were some loss, then claim, "Too bad; you blew it."

They (especially FINANCIAL vendors!) should ask you to go to their regular website using your regular link or to log in to your own account, also using your regular link, and then go to <whatever>.

RM
I agree.

One practical tip is the hover over the email addess or right click on the link and then copy it into an application like Wordpad or Word. In the case of phishing, the actual link may be different from what appears in your browser. It's just like spoofing phone numbers. If the URLs don't agree, it is very likely phishing. But it isn't automatically safe if they do agree - it could just be a more sophisticated phisher when there are weird add-ons to a familiar website.

One time, my credit card company contacted me about potential fraudulent activity on my account. The customer service rep immediately launched into their authenication routine wanting my account number, etc. I refused and reminded them that they had called ME! And this was the department that dealt with fraud! :oops:
Yes, yes, to both of these, but with a comment/caveat about the first.
There was an incredible eye-opening (eye-popping!) example of how the link could *appear* to be perfectly valid when one hovers, but still be malicious. The scammers' trick was to use a very strange font with a different actual letter embedded. Because of limitations to how the fonts are actually printed and/or how the eye perceives them, it can be virtually (or possibly actually) impossible to detect.
There was a very good example of this posted a few years ago (I may have even posted it).
Does anyone know of a good example these days?

As for the second, I recently had "someone" call me about an Rx refill.
The person wanted my information... my name, address, insurance info, and he totally did NOT "get it" about how HE had called me. I offered to call him back at an extension he could provide, but at the "main number" of the company that I would normally use. (The call had come in from what appeared to be a toll-free number, unless, of course, it was spoofed anyway.)
He refused, saying he couldn't be reached that way.
He tried to tell me that if I didn't cooperate, my Rx would not be refilled.
I had a few choice words for him, and then hung up.
Note: It turned out that it actually was a valid call, and an Rx I had forgotten about was filled the next day, to our surprise. And it was an unusually expensive Rx. And on Jan 1st, there was indeed a new "Rx manager" for our insurance.
But... WHY be coy about not allowing me to call him (or someone else) at a number that *I* could verify was for the proper company?? :annoyed
However, my Rx was filled anyway!

When we get those calls from the "fraud dept" of a charge card, they usually tell us the amount (or approx), and ask if we did indeed just make such a charge. More and more, those come in as a text message, asking us to reply that it is a valid charge - or not.
When WE have just processed a charge, and someone claiming to be "our charge card company" (or VISA/etc.) quickly then calls us, and does not ask for any other personal info, that seems fine. (At least, I can't quite see how it could go badly wrong, given they aren't asking for any security codes or such...?)

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Broken Man 1999
Posts: 3464
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:31 am

Re: Vanguard beta app email - legit or phishing?

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:08 am

I have only done one type financial activity on an app on my cell phone, that was depositing a check. And, after depositing the check, I removed the app from my phone. Yes, paranoia lives here! :shock:

At the present time, there is no way I would do any transactions on our Vanguard accounts via an app. Just can't do it. I don't mind using my PC at home for financial activity, however laptops and phones aren't my trusted devices, for now.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

Post Reply