What frugal thing did you do today?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Xrayman69
Posts: 606
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:52 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Xrayman69 »

Tall drip coffee instead of a grande in my reusable Starbucks cup. No need to ask leave room for cream.
User avatar
mindgap
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:24 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by mindgap »

Hopefully get a used Ikea couch from Craigslist for around $250 instead of $600 or even more for the better brands.
Nicolas
Posts: 2231
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am
Contact:

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Nicolas »

mindgap wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:23 pm Hopefully get a used Ikea couch from Craigslist for around $250 instead of $600 or even more for the better brands.
I won’t buy used furniture due to risk of bedbug infestation. Only new for me.
User avatar
mindgap
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:24 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by mindgap »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:30 pm
mindgap wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:23 pm Hopefully get a used Ikea couch from Craigslist for around $250 instead of $600 or even more for the better brands.
I won’t buy used furniture due to risk of bedbug infestation. Only new for me.
Good point. It didn't work out anyways so I might go for a deal somewhere else.
User avatar
unclescrooge
Posts: 5347
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by unclescrooge »

I did a price match instore at Target on a box of diapers, vs target.com.

Saved 39 cents!

There's a fine line between cheap and frugal, and I don't know where to draw it. :mrgreen:
User avatar
mindgap
Posts: 185
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:24 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by mindgap »

unclescrooge wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:30 pm I did a price match instore at Target on a box of diapers, vs target.com.

Saved 39 cents!

There's a fine line between cheap and frugal, and I don't know where to draw it. :mrgreen:
It's all perspective. Saving 39 cents is roughly the amount of interest you would earn per day if you put $7000 into a high yield savings account with 2 basis points. I think its worth it :)
CeggiaRadar
Posts: 4
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:45 am
Location: Madison, Wisconsin

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by CeggiaRadar »

I went Christmas shopping at Goodwill.
bryansmile
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:14 am

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by bryansmile »

CedarWaxWing wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:05 pm
VictoriaF wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:44 pm
mptfan wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:49 am
xerxes101 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:48 pm
mptfan wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:40 pm
Ok, calm down. I understand you wouldn't want a stranger's clothes drying with yours, but illegal? Come on. What law was violated?
I think this is the most idiotic and a low-life thing one can do. This is not being frugal; this is downright theft. I believe it is illegal and I am sure if the person doing it is reported, the cop will find a way to write him up, or at least s/he should.
What law was broken?
When I was walking el Camino de Santiago, it was common for several people to share a washer and a dryer at an albergue. Washers and dryers were at €3-€3.5, each. Most people did not carry enough clothes to fill up a machine, and sharing machines saved time so that people would not wait for hours to do their laundry. Note that the clothes we were washing were much dirtier than normal laundry because we were walking in them many hours in cold, heat, rain, and dust.

In my opinion, squeamishness deprives people of valuable experiences.

Victoria
1+ Having done a few miles on the PCT once, I housed 3 pct thru hikers for a night and washed all their clothes while they showered and went swimming at the place we were staying on vacation. Mixing a little soil in the washing machine is nothing..... and a reminder that on the trail none of us were any sweeter smelling than the others, in more ways than one.
Come on people, do you really feel ok sharing a washer/dryer with others? Are you not disgusted with what's on stranger's undies?
2015
Posts: 2906
Joined: Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:32 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by 2015 »

I decided I am only going to remodel the shower. The rest of the bathroom is "good enough". This brings me in under budget which always serves to dampen my innate human behavioral biases.
mptfan
Posts: 6218
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 9:58 am

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by mptfan »

bryansmile wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:28 pm Come on people, do you really feel ok sharing a washer/dryer with others? Are you not disgusted with what's on stranger's undies?
Yes, I'm really ok with it, and no, I'm not disgusted by it. I think some people are just irrationally squeamish.
brandy
Posts: 386
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:45 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by brandy »

Today I went out and sprayed the weeds along the street. Most of these were young enough this application will kill them. I am mixing another another batch of the solution in case I need to hit them again. (If we have another rain, there may be more weeds.)
Now I won't have to have the yard man until hopefully after the last week of Dec, when he'll apply pre-emergent in time for the January rains.
JimMolony
Posts: 73
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:45 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by JimMolony »

Wife's B-day today. I bought her 3 Mylar balloons and a card as well as a pack of M&M's (her favorite). Went to the dollar store. Total cost - $4.20. I delivered them myself to the school where she teaches 4th grade. The kids broke out singing HB. Priceless. I was able to surprise and embarrass her for less than $5.
michaeljc70
Posts: 7129
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by michaeljc70 »

It was a few days ago, but installed a new water heater in my place with my Father. I figured it saved me around $1000 versus if I hired a plumber.
Cycle
Posts: 1697
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 7:57 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Cycle »

Traveled 294 miles there and back on Megabus $1 tickets plus $2 fee. Cost per mile $.014.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
User avatar
fishandgolf
Posts: 596
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:50 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by fishandgolf »

Threw out two bags of dated salad that...if e-coli or some other germ infested critter was in there might have caused serious illness.

Cost of Salad: $2.49 x 2 + 5.5% sales tax = $5.25

Cost of Emergency Room visit, missing a day or two of work, etc,...............Priceless....... :sharebeer
User avatar
munemaker
Posts: 4174
Joined: Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:14 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by munemaker »

Cycle wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:34 pm Traveled 294 miles there and back on Megabus $1 tickets plus $2 fee. Cost per mile $.014.
You overpaid!

Saved a $5 fare by hitching a ride on the back of a WMATA bus:

https://www.kxan.com/news/national-news ... 1653470665

(ok, it wasn't actually really me...probably a fellow Boglehead).
Ruger
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:44 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Ruger »

Fixed the door handle on my microwave, thanks to YouTube.
Cycle
Posts: 1697
Joined: Sun May 28, 2017 7:57 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Cycle »

munemaker wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:00 pm
Cycle wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:34 pm Traveled 294 miles there and back on Megabus $1 tickets plus $2 fee. Cost per mile $.014.
You overpaid!

Saved a $5 fare by hitching a ride on the back of a WMATA bus:

https://www.kxan.com/news/national-news ... 1653470665

(ok, it wasn't actually really me...probably a fellow Boglehead).
i actually did the math wrong. it was 337*2/$4 = $0.006 per mile.

The bus klinging thing is pretty common in India, he may have been a tourist and not known the local bus riding custom, or perhaps he's just ahead of the times. It's like when i was clueless tourist in copenhagen and didn't realize you need to swipe your pass both when you get on and get off, otherwise you get charged for the longest possible route.
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 9867
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by cheese_breath »

DW didn't eat the dinner roll on her nursing home dinner tray tonight so I did.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
treadingwater
Posts: 53
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:01 pm
Location: Midwest

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by treadingwater »

Garage door spring busted loose. Husband and I went to local Farm and Fleet for replacement parts and with dear old dads help repaired it ourselves.
Never panic. Stop looking so much.
CedarWaxWing
Posts: 769
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:24 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by CedarWaxWing »

bryansmile wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:28 pm
CedarWaxWing wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:05 pm
VictoriaF wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:44 pm
mptfan wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:49 am
xerxes101 wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:48 pm

I think this is the most idiotic and a low-life thing one can do. This is not being frugal; this is downright theft. I believe it is illegal and I am sure if the person doing it is reported, the cop will find a way to write him up, or at least s/he should.
What law was broken?
When I was walking el Camino de Santiago, it was common for several people to share a washer and a dryer at an albergue. Washers and dryers were at €3-€3.5, each. Most people did not carry enough clothes to fill up a machine, and sharing machines saved time so that people would not wait for hours to do their laundry. Note that the clothes we were washing were much dirtier than normal laundry because we were walking in them many hours in cold, heat, rain, and dust.

In my opinion, squeamishness deprives people of valuable experiences.

Victoria
1+ Having done a few miles on the PCT once, I housed 3 pct thru hikers for a night and washed all their clothes while they showered and went swimming at the place we were staying on vacation. Mixing a little soil in the washing machine is nothing..... and a reminder that on the trail none of us were any sweeter smelling than the others, in more ways than one.
Come on people, do you really feel ok sharing a washer/dryer with others? Are you not disgusted with what's on stranger's undies?
1. Yes if necessary or useful.
2. No... not for purposes of getting the clothes clean with fellow hikers. Hot soap and water is fine.
In a hospital setting or nursing home, special laundry methods are appropriate due to an expect incidence of pathogenic organisms and anti-bacterial resistance being high in those settings. (Not medical advice, just laundry advice. :)
audioaxes
Posts: 200
Joined: Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:16 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by audioaxes »

refused to pay someone $150 to hook up our new faucets and drain lines to our new double vanity sinks. Jumped on youtube to figure it all out, realized my new sink uses 3/8 hoses and our valves our 1/2". Refused to spend $9x4 units on new valves, bought $4 3/8" to 1/2" adapters instead.... But even with teflon tape on the threading real good I was still getting leaks with the adapter. Went back to store to get valves but also thought of idea of using these rubber plumbing washers to help create a water tight seal with the adapter. So I bought a pack of those for $2 and it worked. Pretty proud of myself as Im not a handyman at all.
User avatar
cheese_breath
Posts: 9867
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by cheese_breath »

audioaxes wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:18 pm refused to pay someone $150 to hook up our new faucets and drain lines to our new double vanity sinks. Jumped on youtube to figure it all out, realized my new sink uses 3/8 hoses and our valves our 1/2". Refused to spend $9x4 units on new valves, bought $4 3/8" to 1/2" adapters instead.... But even with teflon tape on the threading real good I was still getting leaks with the adapter. Went back to store to get valves but also thought of idea of using these rubber plumbing washers to help create a water tight seal with the adapter. So I bought a pack of those for $2 and it worked. Pretty proud of myself as Im not a handyman at all.
Rube Goldberg would be proud of you too. :wink:
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
User avatar
Pete12
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:17 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Pete12 »

Ruger wrote: Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:06 pm Fixed the door handle on my microwave, thanks to YouTube.
Youtube is awesome- you can pretty much find out how to fix anything on there. I've fixed my washer, dryer, dishwasher, fridge, furnace, lawnmower all based on Youtube videos. Have probably saved thousands in the process...
rasta
Posts: 204
Joined: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:29 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by rasta »

if you use stamps, buy them before the price increase early next year.
SuperGrafx
Posts: 267
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:36 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by SuperGrafx »

Bought a gift at Walmart using the store pickup option.
In this case it was a video game that normally sells for $59.99 in store.
Oddly enough, buying it through Walmart.com and choosing the pick up at store option yielded a price of $44.99

Reminds me of how barnes & noble and its online site often featured wildly different prices. Except that the physical stores would not (or could not) match the online site's price.
Xrayman69
Posts: 606
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2018 8:52 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Xrayman69 »

Took bus home from airport instead of taxi or Uber. Saved money and nearly same amount of time. Bus 27 minutes. Uber 20 minutes. Bus app informs of time when bus arrives +/- by 1-2 minutes so it is reliable. Bus comes very 15 minutes (so worst case it would be 15 minutes if inse bus pull away). Uber time for car to arrive was 8 minutes to pickup area that is just a cluster. Both the bus and Uber drop off literally in front of my building so no difference in distance when using the bus.

Bus $2. Uber $27.
quantAndHold
Posts: 5049
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by quantAndHold »

I walked to all the Little Free Libraries in the hood to see if there is anything new to read. Didn’t find anything this time, but had a nice long walk in the sunshine anyway.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
User avatar
praxis
Posts: 560
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by praxis »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:30 pm
mindgap wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:23 pm Hopefully get a used Ikea couch from Craigslist for around $250 instead of $600 or even more for the better brands.
I won’t buy used furniture due to risk of bedbug infestation. Only new for me.
would a thorough spraying and airing in the sun not solve this?
jerryk68
Posts: 201
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:56 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by jerryk68 »

Took a shower with my wife in an effort to save water but it turned into a very long shower. But we did save electricity by burning a candle.
quantAndHold
Posts: 5049
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:39 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by quantAndHold »

praxis wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:47 pm
Nicolas wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:30 pm
mindgap wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:23 pm Hopefully get a used Ikea couch from Craigslist for around $250 instead of $600 or even more for the better brands.
I won’t buy used furniture due to risk of bedbug infestation. Only new for me.
would a thorough spraying and airing in the sun not solve this?
No.

Pesticides aren’t super effective against bedbugs, and aren’t particularly safe for humans or pets. The best method of getting rid of bedbugs is to heat the item above 120 degrees, which isn’t a practical DIY thing for a large piece of furniture. Treatment needs to be repeated every 10 days, until the newly hatched bugs aren’t hatching anymore.

Then there’s the problem that if you don’t get them all, bedbugs will spread to all your other stuff.

You could easily spend more on either professional treatment or replacing all your other stuff than you save by buying the furniture on CL.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
Snuffycuts99
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:09 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Snuffycuts99 »

Received my $600 prepaid card in the mail today from Comcast for switching over 2 lines to Xfinity Mobile from Verizon. The monthly bill dropped significantly anyways, so it was a win-win.
Snuffycuts99
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:09 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Snuffycuts99 »

Yesterday I used my Giant Eagle fuel perks to purchase 30 gallons of gas for the low low price of 0...so it's been nice and frugal around here for the past couple of days
michaeljc70
Posts: 7129
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by michaeljc70 »

I bought over 30 pounds of meat for around $45. Pork shoulder 99 cents/lb, boneless skinless chicken thighs $1.79/lb, boneless beef short ribs $2.99/lb. I bought 3 huge pork shoulders. I've got a lot of things I make with them that are really good (carnitas, pulled pork, pork mole, porchetta, smoked, etc.). They are fatty, but if you trim them well and skim the fat off after cooking, not so bad. Amazing if you research/practice/experiment how much you can do with a cheap cut of meat. Same for the chicken thighs. Particularly great for Indian dishes, but I have at least 15 ways I prepare them.
frugalmama
Posts: 231
Joined: Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:53 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by frugalmama »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:14 pm I bought over 30 pounds of meat for around $45. Pork shoulder 99 cents/lb, boneless skinless chicken thighs $1.79/lb, boneless beef short ribs $2.99/lb. I bought 3 huge pork shoulders. I've got a lot of things I make with them that are really good (carnitas, pulled pork, pork mole, porchetta, smoked, etc.). They are fatty, but if you trim them well and skim the fat off after cooking, not so bad. Amazing if you research/practice/experiment how much you can do with a cheap cut of meat. Same for the chicken thighs. Particularly great for Indian dishes, but I have at least 15 ways I prepare them.
That sounds a lot like my grocery shop yesterday...I purchased 6 pork butts at .99 a lb and a lot of other very cheap cuts. We had Indian last night :).

Today I made ham and bean soup with my leftover ham bone and finished my monthly menu figuring out how to only use things in my pantry/freezer.
User avatar
praxis
Posts: 560
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:51 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by praxis »

quantAndHold wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:29 pm
praxis wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:47 pm
Nicolas wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:30 pm
mindgap wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:23 pm Hopefully get a used Ikea couch from Craigslist for around $250 instead of $600 or even more for the better brands.
I won’t buy used furniture due to risk of bedbug infestation. Only new for me.
would a thorough spraying and airing in the sun not solve this?
No.

Pesticides aren’t super effective against bedbugs, and aren’t particularly safe for humans or pets. The best method of getting rid of bedbugs is to heat the item above 120 degrees, which isn’t a practical DIY thing for a large piece of furniture. Treatment needs to be repeated every 10 days, until the newly hatched bugs aren’t hatching anymore.

Then there’s the problem that if you don’t get them all, bedbugs will spread to all your other stuff.

You could easily spend more on either professional treatment or replacing all your other stuff than you save by buying the furniture on CL.
There is a bedbug risk every time I lay my suitcase or backpack down on the floor in a hotel. Although I live in the southern US and have traveled for many years in tropical countries, I have only had one bedbug experience. I guess I've just been lucky. If I found a good deal on furniture, I might spray it and cover it with a black plastic tarp in the sun for a few weeks. That's what the forest rangers do for spruce beetle in the Colorado forest. They pile the limbs and cover them for the summer in black plastic and recommend we do that if we find an infestation in one of our trees. I bet it gets 120 under those tarps some days.
Nicolas
Posts: 2231
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am
Contact:

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Nicolas »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:14 pm I bought over 30 pounds of meat for around $45. Pork shoulder 99 cents/lb, boneless skinless chicken thighs $1.79/lb, boneless beef short ribs $2.99/lb. I bought 3 huge pork shoulders. I've got a lot of things I make with them that are really good (carnitas, pulled pork, pork mole, porchetta, smoked, etc.). They are fatty, but if you trim them well and skim the fat off after cooking, not so bad. Amazing if you research/practice/experiment how much you can do with a cheap cut of meat. Same for the chicken thighs. Particularly great for Indian dishes, but I have at least 15 ways I prepare them.
I quit eating meat several years ago and in so doing I’m saving a lot of money (meat is expensive). And I do this every day (not buying and eating it) so it qualifies for this thread. It wasn’t my choice, it was my wife’s and she buys and cooks the food. But I’m happy with it and have suffered no ill effects.
michaeljc70
Posts: 7129
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:53 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by michaeljc70 »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:36 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:14 pm I bought over 30 pounds of meat for around $45. Pork shoulder 99 cents/lb, boneless skinless chicken thighs $1.79/lb, boneless beef short ribs $2.99/lb. I bought 3 huge pork shoulders. I've got a lot of things I make with them that are really good (carnitas, pulled pork, pork mole, porchetta, smoked, etc.). They are fatty, but if you trim them well and skim the fat off after cooking, not so bad. Amazing if you research/practice/experiment how much you can do with a cheap cut of meat. Same for the chicken thighs. Particularly great for Indian dishes, but I have at least 15 ways I prepare them.
I quit eating meat several years ago and in so doing I’m saving a lot of money (meat is expensive). And I do this every day (not buying and eating it) so it qualifies for this thread. It wasn’t my choice, it was my wife’s and she buys and cooks the food. But I’m happy with it and have suffered no ill effects.
Vegetable can cost more than meat. Of course, it depends what you are comparing. A good steak will cost more than just about any veggie. Here zucchini and root vegetables are cheap. The other stuff depends on the season. Buying organic adds to the cost of veggies. Like I said, in my post, 99 cents/lb for meat- you cannot buy too many veggies for less than 99 cents/lb. I can get chicken leg quarters for 49 cent/lb sometimes. Other than iceberg lettuce or cabbage on sale, you cannot get many veggies for 49 cents/lb.
JediMisty
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:06 am
Location: Central NJ

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by JediMisty »

Enjoying a wonderful cozy fire ( one of many) with wood I got for free. Some was cut from my dead trees on my property, some was gathered from nearby folks leaving it by the street in the aftermath of storms. It's sawed with a chainsaw and split into convenient pieces. I have easily 5 years worth, processed at different times. Here in central new Jersey, it's not easy to gather free wood, so you must be vigilant. Folks in my area often don't use their fireplaces due to the expenses and/or inconvenience of gathering wood. Helps me stay positive on these dreary winter days and nights.
Nicolas
Posts: 2231
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am
Contact:

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Nicolas »

JediMisty wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:53 pm Enjoying a wonderful cozy fire ( one of many) with wood I got for free. Some was cut from my dead trees on my property, some was gathered from nearby folks leaving it by the street in the aftermath of storms. It's sawed with a chainsaw and split into convenient pieces. I have easily 5 years worth, processed at different times. Here in central new Jersey, it's not easy to gather free wood, so you must be vigilant. Folks in my area often don't use their fireplaces due to the expenses and/or inconvenience of gathering wood. Helps me stay positive on these dreary winter days and nights.
I do the same. I have a natural fireplace which we use almost every weekend and I’ve never bought a stick of wood. Having a natural fireplace of sufficient dimensions was one of my must-have criteria for the purchase of our current house!

Three years ago the electric company felled several trees on my brother-in-law’s property. He gave me the wood and I spent part of the first autumn after I retired in splitting it (by hand). I still have half of it left.

I love everything to do with the process, gathering wood, splitting it, building and enjoying the fires, even cleaning out the ashes! A gas fireplace does not compare, always real wood for me!
Dave55
Posts: 798
Joined: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:51 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Dave55 »

Switched to Xfinity Mobile from Verizon, will reduce our monthly cell/data bill from $115.00 to $35.00

Dave
Nicolas
Posts: 2231
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am
Contact:

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Nicolas »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:45 pm
Nicolas wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:36 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:14 pm I bought over 30 pounds of meat for around $45. Pork shoulder 99 cents/lb, boneless skinless chicken thighs $1.79/lb, boneless beef short ribs $2.99/lb. I bought 3 huge pork shoulders. I've got a lot of things I make with them that are really good (carnitas, pulled pork, pork mole, porchetta, smoked, etc.). They are fatty, but if you trim them well and skim the fat off after cooking, not so bad. Amazing if you research/practice/experiment how much you can do with a cheap cut of meat. Same for the chicken thighs. Particularly great for Indian dishes, but I have at least 15 ways I prepare them.
I quit eating meat several years ago and in so doing I’m saving a lot of money (meat is expensive). And I do this every day (not buying and eating it) so it qualifies for this thread. It wasn’t my choice, it was my wife’s and she buys and cooks the food. But I’m happy with it and have suffered no ill effects.
Vegetable can cost more than meat. Of course, it depends what you are comparing. A good steak will cost more than just about any veggie. Here zucchini and root vegetables are cheap. The other stuff depends on the season. Buying organic adds to the cost of veggies. Like I said, in my post, 99 cents/lb for meat- you cannot buy too many veggies for less than 99 cents/lb. I can get chicken leg quarters for 49 cent/lb sometimes. Other than iceberg lettuce or cabbage on sale, you cannot get many veggies for 49 cents/lb.
I’ve never researched it for myself but I’ve seen it in the literature, and also since my wife has been doing this for 47 years I took her word for it. Besides it was kind of forced on me — you know, happy wife — happy life! There are health and environmental benefits too which I won’t go into due to forum rules.
JediMisty
Posts: 609
Joined: Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:06 am
Location: Central NJ

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by JediMisty »

Nicolas wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:42 pm
JediMisty wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:53 pm Enjoying a wonderful cozy fire ( one of many) with wood I got for free. Some was cut from my dead trees on my property, some was gathered from nearby folks leaving it by the street in the aftermath of storms. It's sawed with a chainsaw and split into convenient pieces. I have easily 5 years worth, processed at different times. Here in central new Jersey, it's not easy to gather free wood, so you must be vigilant. Folks in my area often don't use their fireplaces due to the expenses and/or inconvenience of gathering wood. Helps me stay positive on these dreary winter days and nights.
I do the same. I have a natural fireplace which we use almost every weekend and I’ve never bought a stick of wood. Having a natural fireplace of sufficient dimensions was one of my must-have criteria for the purchase of our current house!

Three years ago the electric company felled several trees on my brother-in-law’s property. He gave me the wood and I spent part of the first autumn after I retired in splitting it (by hand). I still have half of it left.

I love everything to do with the process, gathering wood, splitting it, building and enjoying the fires, even cleaning out the ashes! A gas fireplace does not compare, always real wood for me!
Kudos for splitting in yourself! I don't have the upper body strength. Bought a small splitter years ago. Yep. Nothing compares to a natural burning fireplace. The smell, the crackles, the flames that are different all the time. When I see the $10 or $12 bundles of wood at the grocery store, I chuckle...
User avatar
StevieG72
Posts: 1155
Joined: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:00 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by StevieG72 »

Switched out a defective electrical outlet myself at my business vs. calling maintenance.

$15 and a few minutes, easy fix.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
HoosierJim
Posts: 772
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:11 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by HoosierJim »

Garage door wouldn't open. Noticed a spring was broke. Was going to call somebody but thought a Sunday call would be $$$. When to home center - bought stuff and changed it. Took longer to watch the YouTube videos and investigate the safe procedures, equipment and PPE.

Most sources say spring is good for around 10,000 cycles. Did some rough math and was amazed it was around that many cycles.
Colorado13
Posts: 1062
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:58 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by Colorado13 »

I was online at Target.com and filled my shopping cart with a couple of items. Then I had a debate with myself about needs vs. wants and my desire for early retirement. Then I logged off of Target.com and walked away from the computer...

Also in the "I saved money by not buying this" is a smartwatch. I hoped to find a good deal on a Fitbit Ionic so I could listen to music while I run, with minimal cords. I couldn't justify the cost/didn't find a good deal. So I continue to use my Sandisk mp3 player (which I love, but the cords for the earbuds are a nuisance at times.)
zeal
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:28 pm

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by zeal »

Fasted today. Frugal with the wallet & with the food!

Also, used the leftover bits & pieces of several wrapping papers to finish off the last gift & finish off 3 rolls. So maybe it's not beautiful but does anyone really care about that?
meebers
Posts: 369
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:20 pm
Location: Florida

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by meebers »

Skipped lunch today and saved $1.00 :dollar
squirm
Posts: 2958
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:53 am

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by squirm »

Nectarineman wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:05 pm Since frugality seems to be a way of life, what did you do today that was frugal?

As for me, worked out at the gym, but shaved and took an extra long shower there to save on my utilities.

:D
Heat with a wood stove, free heat feels great!
User avatar
dratkinson
Posts: 5039
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:23 pm
Location: Centennial CO

Re: What frugal thing did you do today?

Post by dratkinson »

Spent $85 on Sears parts to repair my garage door opener drive mechanism and replace rubber donut on snowblower Unitrol disk drive. Installed over the weekend.

Noticed phone bill included the message, "Don't pay this bill as it will be paid by ABP against your (2%) CC." Used back of return envelop for grocery list.

Want to learn how to use return envelopes so my letters show addressee through transparent window. Didn't learn that technique in HS typing class.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
Post Reply