Possibly dumb question about streaming services

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
SoDakJeff

Possibly dumb question about streaming services

Post by SoDakJeff » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:12 am

I'm dipping my toes into the streaming TV waters. I bought a Roku stick and signed up for DirectTV Now yesterday for their 1 week free trial. I compared several of the services and liked the channel lineup of DTV Now better than the others. I knew going in that local channels wouldn't be available where I live (South Dakota), but in the channel lineup they showed that they carry CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX, etc. I assumed from that that they would carry the national broadcasts of those networks even though I wouldn't get the local new feeds. Of course when I started streaming, none of those were available.

Do none of the streaming services carry the Big 4 national networks? I really don't mind not getting the local stuff because our local news is horrible, but not getting the national broadcasts of those networks is making me rethink keeping the streaming service.

Thanks.

jerryk68

Re: Possibly dumb question about streaming services

Post by jerryk68 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:09 am

Never tried Direct TV but I did try Hulu (sports package) and YouTube TV. Hulu and YouTube carry the local TV stations where I live and both are $39.99 a month. I liked YouTube mainly because it had about 60 stations, an easy to navigate plain guide and unlimited DVR storage. Hulu has roughly about the same number of stations, the DVR is limited but it has a library of shows so I really don't need unlimited DVR storage. We went with Hulu because of the library but their guide is a challenge to navigate. Both offer at least a week free. I would suggest you try both before deciding.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:16 am

Take a look at Playstation Vue availability within your zip. Rapid City has ABC and NBC by example.

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/channels/

Cheers

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:18 am

I don't believe any carry a national news feed from networks. Try an amplified hdtv antenna. I pick up every local station including PBS on mine, crystal clear. Its my backup plan when ISP is down. Wired my antenna into old cable splitter. Antenna signal available through out the house.

Topic Author
SoDakJeff

Post by SoDakJeff » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:33 am

jerryk68 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:09 am
Never tried Direct TV but I did try Hulu (sports package) and YouTube TV. Hulu and YouTube carry the local TV stations where I live and both are $39.99 a month. I liked YouTube mainly because it had about 60 stations, an easy to navigate plain guide and unlimited DVR storage. Hulu has roughly about the same number of stations, the DVR is limited but it has a library of shows so I really don't need unlimited DVR storage. We went with Hulu because of the library but their guide is a challenge to navigate. Both offer at least a week free. I would suggest you try both before deciding.
Hulu is the only streaming service that carries some local stations to my location, but I rejected them because they don't carry AMC which is one of the few networks that has a few series that I actually watch. I'd run into the same problem with YouTube that I'm having with DirectTV Now, since they carry zero local stations to my location.

So, if you DO get local channels to your location, do you get both the national feed as well as whatever the local channel broadcasts? In other words, if you get the local CBS channel, do you get (for instance) Sunday football and 60 Minutes as well as your local news and weather?

Topic Author
SoDakJeff

Post by SoDakJeff » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:37 am

Housedoc wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:18 am
I don't believe any carry a national news feed from networks. Try an amplified hdtv antenna. I pick up every local station including PBS on mine, crystal clear. Its my backup plan when ISP is down. Wired my antenna into old cable splitter. Antenna signal available through out the house.
I was hoping to avoid going to this much trouble because I thought I'd need an antenna for each TV in the house. I'm assuming there are instructions for hooking up an antenna to your cable somewhere online?

getcloned

Post by getcloned » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:39 am

It depends on your local affiliate and if they have an agreement with a particular streaming service. My understanding is that not all affiliates are on board but it is moving that way.

In my case I use Roku as my device and Hulu with Live TV for my service. I get all 4 networks (ABC, CBS, FOx and NBC). The content is identical to what you would get over the air or via satellite or cable. We have good internet service and have never regretted the move to streaming.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:44 am

The problem with streaming local stations has to do with legalities more than technical issues. Local TV stations sign affiliation contracts with networks giving them rights to broadcast the network’s programs, in exchange for annual payments. If the networks made all their programs available in real-time (as opposed to delayed) to streaming outlets, it would undercut those agreements. The same is true for most of the syndicated programming that TV stations carry; issues of contract and copyright enter into the picture. (In fact, in most cases, the only things the local stations have copyright rights on are their own locally produced programs such as newscasts). Of course I’ve been away from the business now for a couple of years, so things may be changing in the modern world.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:53 am

SoDakJeff wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:37 am
Housedoc wrote:
I was hoping to avoid going to this much trouble because I thought I'd need an antenna for each TV in the house. I'm assuming there are instructions for hooking up an antenna to your cable somewhere online?
Here you go.

https://www.killthecablebill.com/how-to ... a-antenna/

Cheers

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:59 am

Use the Roku stick to its fullest, search the channel store. CBS(24/7) , ABC, NBC are there, some live, some delayed video clips are available. For local news, NEWS.COM will get numerous local news feeds, live and you can watch delayed. I actually like to watch different areas especially when there is a major event. PBS, SKYNEWS and foriegn news is also available.

The Roku channel list here.
https://channelstore.roku.com/browse/news-and-weather

It takes time to get used to the new ways! ;)
Last edited by bob60014 on Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

cmublitz

Post by cmublitz » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:00 am

You could try something like: https://www.airtv.net/products/airtv/

You'd still need a roku at each tv, but I assume you've already resigned yourself to that.

jerryk68

Post by jerryk68 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:06 am

SoDakJeff wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:33 am
jerryk68 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:09 am
Hulu is the only streaming service that carries some local stations to my location, but I rejected them because they don't carry AMC which is one of the few networks that has a few series that I actually watch. I'd run into the same problem with YouTube that I'm having with DirectTV Now, since they carry zero local stations to my location.

So, if you DO get local channels to your location, do you get both the national feed as well as whatever the local channel broadcasts? In other words, if you get the local CBS channel, do you get (for instance) Sunday football and 60 Minutes as well as your local news and weather?
Yes, I get both the local and national feed. I live outside Philadelphia. And yes, I get Sunday football and 60 minutes and local news and weather on CBS. I don't get PBS but I don't think any streaming service offers that. I watch my favorite PBS show, Nightly Business Report, about 33 minutes after it's normal broadcast time here (7:00PM) via regular YouTube not YouTube TV. I could install an antenna (you might consider that for local news stuff) and get PBS but I can handle the 33 minute delay. You might try seeing if your favorite AMC series are available on regular You Tube, Hulu's library, YouTube TV or Netflex. Reading these posts it appears mileage may and will vary by location.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:57 am

SoDakJeff wrote:
You'll only need one device connected to the antenna and your router. Look up HDHomerun, Amazon Recast, and AirTV. Then you just run an app on the device you want to watch the broadcast on.

(Deleted)

Finally locast.org is a free service that offers local broadcast TV if they serve your market.

Edited. Apologies. I thought it was legal since streaming services like Netflix allows sharing.
Last edited by mmmodem on Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:04 am

mmmodem wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:57 am

You can also look into borrowing a friend or family's cable or dish account and password. This will allow you to watch broadcast TV on each network's app except CBS.
Also referred to as theft of services and not an appropriate/or allowed recommendation on this site.

Cheers

Ice-9

Post by Ice-9 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:28 am

On my Roku box, I added the free apps for CBSN (CBS News) and NBC News to get national news. Also, Sling TV Blue Plan in my area gives local Fox and NBC stations. I also added the News Extra plan for an extra $5/month that adds a few cable news channels.

Sling lineup page: https://www.sling.com/service

See this article https://www.dailydot.com/upstream/sling ... ls-lineup/ for a good explanation.

Topic Author
SoDakJeff

Post by SoDakJeff » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:03 am

Silk McCue wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:53 am
SoDakJeff wrote:
Housedoc wrote:
Here you go.

Cheers
Interesting. So, when you cut the cord, you attached the antenna cable into the cable splitter left over from your cable company that ran cable service to all the rooms in your house? Now you just have to run a short cable from the wall to the back of your TV? I'm trying to picture how I'd get the antenna cable from where I'd have to mount the antenna to the basement where the current cable splitter is located. Was that a challenge?

Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:27 am

SoDakJeff wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:03 am
Interesting. So, when you cut the cord, you attached the antenna cable into the cable splitter left over from your cable company that ran cable service to all the rooms in your house? Now you just have to run a short cable from the wall to the back of your TV? I'm trying to picture how I'd get the antenna cable from where I'd have to mount the antenna to the basement where the current cable splitter is located. Was that a challenge?
We've been doing lots of renovations and work around the house the past few years. Most projects are those that I have no past experience in. My solution is to Google what I want to do (refine/adjust the search terms if I'm not getting good results) and then gain insight on how to attack the issue.

For this case I would Google something like "how to snake a cable from my roof to the basement". In fact I just did that and immediately started finding good feedback. I research thoroughly and then just starting thinking through what steps might work best in my situation. Are things sometimes a challenge? Yes, but the sense of satisfaction of solving the problem is quite enjoyable.

Before you do anything you will want to figure out the right antenna and the best location in/on your house to mount it to pick all the channels available to you. From there I would absolutely run a cable to the splitter to verify signal reception at each of your TV's. I would then go back and make it a long term solution by routing the wire properly.

I assume your cable company had to bring a wire to someplace on the outside of the house. You can likely make a connection there.

Cheers

yohac

Post by yohac » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:39 am

SoDakJeff wrote:
I found the best place for the antenna and plugged it into the nearest cable jack (luckily one that we weren't using, otherwise you'd need a splitter.) Then at the splitter in the basement, I just disconnected the Charter TV cable from the "input" and replaced it with the cable now connected to the antenna. Simple. But you do need a pretty good OTA signal to push through all that cable.

Post by 123 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:42 am

In our area our cable provider (Comcast/Xfinity) also offers a skinny bundle of streaming TV channels which Iincludes local channels (Xfinity Instant TV). It is seperate from their cable offerings. You might want to check to see if a cable provider in your area offers something similar.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:52 am

SoDakJeff wrote:
Silk McCue wrote:
SoDakJeff wrote:
Housedoc wrote:
Here you go.

Cheers
In general, you should be able to tap into your household wiring where it goes into the house from the outside.

In our case, the cable splitter was in a plastic box on the outside of the house. We needed the antenna mounted in a spot that required a 20 foot ladder, then the cable run all the way to the far side of the house. We hired a guy for that. It cost $250. In another house, we could mount the antenna on a porch roof right above the splitter box. I did that myself.

BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:54 am

I use Roku with DirecTV Now via internet provided by Spectrum.

I get all the local channels just like the old days over the air or via a cable tv package: Fox, ABC, CBS, and NBC.

Same local and national news, same tv shows in the same time slots.

Maybe it's a regional thing where you don't get local tv with DirecTV Now streaming?

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:56 am

We are north of you in North Dakota (Fargo). Locals are completely dependent on your local area and contracts each service locks in.

Playstation Vue has CBS, NBC, Fox (ABC is On Demand). This is what we use for ~3 years. Best overall service by far (my opinion).

Hulu Live also has locals in our area.

We have none for DirecTV Now, Sling and YouTube TV is not offered in our area.

OTA antenna (roof mounted) gives us all the locals.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Tue Dec 11, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"People want confirmation, not advice" Unknown | "We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you" Unknown | Four words: Whole food, plant based

Kenkat

Post by Kenkat » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:02 am

When I disconnected Dish Network a couple of years ago, they left the old dish and mounting on the roof; I recently got an over the air antenna, took the old dish down and mounted the antenna in the same place. I plugged the output from the antenna into the cable run from the old dish set up and then just connected each TV into the cable outlet in each room. I did shorten some of the cable runs in the basement to reduce signal loss. This required stripping and recabling a bit, but not hard if you have the right tools.

The only thing I didn’t like is having to switch between the Roku and antenna input on the TV when I wanted to watch either. A little less convenient than how cable or dish used to work since it was all integrated by the set top box.

I used Sling for awhile but ultimately cancelled it as it wasn’t really worth it to me. I am OTA only now, although I watch a fair amount of sports via apps for free such as NFL Network, etc.

BBQ Nut

Post by BBQ Nut » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:03 am

quantAndHold wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:52 am
SoDakJeff wrote:
Silk McCue wrote:
SoDakJeff wrote:
Housedoc wrote:
Here you go.

Cheers
In general, you should be able to tap into your household wiring where it goes into the house from the outside.

In our case, the cable splitter was in a plastic box on the outside of the house. We needed the antenna mounted in a spot that required a 20 foot ladder, then the cable run all the way to the far side of the house. We hired a guy for that. It cost $250. In another house, we could mount the antenna on a porch roof right above the splitter box. I did that myself.
This assumes you aren't using the existing cable wiring for internet and just converting it to use over the air TV, right?

When I googled this approach, I got a bunch of "NO NO" if you are trying to use this approach for both OTA and continued ISP/internet.

Topic Author
SoDakJeff

Post by SoDakJeff » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:13 pm

123 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:42 am
In our area our cable provider (Comcast/Xfinity) also offers a skinny bundle of streaming TV channels which Iincludes local channels (Xfinity Instant TV). It is seperate from their cable offerings. You might want to check to see if a cable provider in your area offers something similar.
This might be the way to go, at least for a while. I just checked with our cable provider (Midcontinent) and they offer a "Limited" cable package that includes ABC, CBS, NBC, FOX, PBS and about 33 other channels that I'll probably never watch for $20/month. Not as good as free, but better than what I'm paying now. I have to stay with them anyway for internet. This might serve as an acceptable bridge until DirectTV Now, YouTube TV or one of the other services that has the channels I like starts to offer local channels in my area.

Thanks for the suggestion.

bradshaw1965

Post by bradshaw1965 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:17 pm

SoDakJeff wrote:
Housedoc wrote:
Take a look at HD Homerun https://www.silicondust.com to avoid this problem. You hook the antenna to the device and then do local streaming around the house.

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:37 pm

I used an electrical fish tape, available at harbor freight or Home Depot to fish the cable from 2nd story attic to basement. I used the hole where air conditioning copper lines run from top unit to basement. I bought a 50 ft RG6 pre-made cable at Walmart to run from antenna to input terminal on splitter in basement.