Electric bill with LED

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dmk395

Electric bill with LED

Post by dmk395 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:30 pm

Anyone notice a significant savings going from incandescent or CFL to LED? For about $50 in bulbs I switched all the bulbs in my house to LED. I did it to save $ and help the environment. Just wondering if anyone actually noticed a real savings month to month...

Bacchus01

Re: Electric bill with LED

Post by Bacchus01 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:32 pm

dmk395 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:30 pm
Anyone notice a significant savings going from incandescent or CFL to LED? For about $50 in bulbs I switched all the bulbs in my house to LED. I did it to save $ and help the environment. Just wondering if anyone actually noticed a real savings month to month...
I have changed some. I can’t say it made a big difference.

Changing out perfectly good bulbs before they are dead with LED does not seem environmentally friendly.

wilked

Post by wilked » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:45 pm

If I remember right changing a house full of CFL to a house full of LED might have a payback of about 3-5 years.

Your energy savings will be on the order of $20/month at most

synare

Post by synare » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:51 pm

Started changing over to LEDs a couple years ago when prices dropped and the savings on the monthly bill was immediate and noticeable. I targeted any light that was typically on an hour or more each day, like kitchen, bathroom, family room, office, workshops, etc. A benefit was that it was better light in certain instances than the incandescent and fluorescent originals. Not all were the same warmth but task lighting and floods were very good. Wish I could have done the switch sooner.

Topic Author
dmk395

Post by dmk395 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:52 pm

wilked wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:45 pm
If I remember right changing a house full of CFL to a house full of LED might have a payback of about 3-5 years.

If I save $20 a month I'd be thrilled!

Nissanzx1

Post by Nissanzx1 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:14 pm

I didn't really notice any changes. Where we live, the power company is asking for a special rate increase because so many people have switched to LED and high efficiency appliances that they want to recoup those losses...

tindel

Post by tindel » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:52 pm

I just finished switching my bulbs to LED. Do the math. Typically if you replace a incandescent with a LED payback is less than 1 year. If you replace a CFL it's longer, probably around 3-5 years.

I needed to replace my halogen bulbs that were burnt out recently. I have 2 fixtures that previously had 4 50W bulbs (200W total). I replaced them with 2700k 5W LED bulbs (20W total). I calculated the payback on those bulbs for how long we use them is about 9 months. About $40/year. I don't expect to see any appreciable difference in my monthly bill.

LED's don't have some of the problems of CFL though and the light is much, much better.

I'm still impatiently waiting for 3 way bulbs 30-70-100W bulbs to come down in price though. They are still about $12-20 each!

BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:05 pm

dmk395 wrote:
$50 switched you completely over to LEDs? Was closer to $200 for me (from Costco), various sizes, all 5000k and just accomplished in the last week. The change from incandescent to CFLs made the biggest $$$ difference in monthly electricity usage; that was mostly accomplished in 2004. Pretty small power difference between CFLs and LEDs, so not expecting much more savings there.

But the CFLs I ditched (>50) all still worked so I looked around to donate them. No one, nada, zip, zero of the usual donation destinations will take them. Seems they contain a small amount of mercury and I wanted them out of the house. There are other annoyances about CFLs, too, such as growing progressively yellower and much slower brightening over time.

Fortunately Home Depot said that they will recycle CFLs at no charge.

Looking forward to the LED manufacturers going into the "specialty bulb" area so I can get rid of the remaining 15 incandescent bulbs I have.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

Nicolas
Location: Oh my name it is nothin’. My age it means less. The country I come from, Is called the Midwest

Post by Nicolas » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:15 pm

BolderBoy wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:05 pm
dmk395 wrote:
$50 switched you completely over to LEDs? Was closer to $200 for me (from Costco), various sizes, all 5000k and just accomplished in the last week. The change from incandescent to CFLs made the biggest $$$ difference in monthly electricity usage; that was mostly accomplished in 2004. Pretty small power difference between CFLs and LEDs, so not expecting much more savings there.

But the CFLs I ditched (>50) all still worked so I looked around to donate them. No one, nada, zip, zero of the usual donation destinations will take them. Seems they contain a small amount of mercury and I wanted them out of the house. There are other annoyances about CFLs, too, such as growing progressively yellower and much slower brightening over time.

Looking forward to the LED manufacturers going into the "specialty bulb" area so I can get rid of the remaining 15 incandescent bulbs I have.
I just bought 44 LED bulbs from my local Ace Hardware for a total of $11 plus tax, that’s four for a dollar, it’s a special sale. I bought a mix of 60W and 75W incandescent-equivalents, all 2700K color temperature, and they’re dimmable. It’s enough to convert two houses to LED.
Last edited by Nicolas on Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crystalbank

Post by crystalbank » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:21 pm

Nicolas wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:15 pm
I just bought 44 LED bulbs from my local Ace Hardware for a total of $11 plus tax, that’s four for a dollar, it’s a special sale. I bought a mix of 60W and 75W incandescent-equivalents, all 2700K color temperature, and they’re dimmable. It’s enough to convert two houses to LED.
That's quite a deal. The best I could find here is $1/bulb (A19 or BR30 sizes, 65W equivalent and 2700K temp) due to subsidies by the local utility company.

Teague

Post by Teague » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:26 pm

Lighting comprises a pretty small portion of most residential energy consumption. I learned that from a consumer class put on by the local electric utility. So if that's true in your case, changing to LEDs (or candles or trained fireflies or simply living in the dark) wouldn't make a huge difference.
Semper Augustus

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:41 pm

dmk395 wrote:
Anyone notice a significant savings going from INCandescent or CFL to LED? For about $50 in bulbs I switched all the bulbs in my house to LED. I did it to save $ and help the environment. Just wondering if anyone actually noticed a real savings month to month...
The change from incandescent to CFL was a far greater change than going from CFL to LED.

For purposes of this exercise make some broad assumptions using round numbers. Yes, you will be able to get better exact numbers, but even numbers will be easier and close enough to demonstrate the effects.

800 lumens: INC = 60W, CFL = 15W, LED = 10W, 1KWH = $0.15, 4 Hrs/day * 365 = 1460 Hrs/year

INC = 60W * 1460H = 87.6 KWH * $0.15 = $13.14
CFL = 15W * 1460H = 21.9 KWH * $0.15 = $3.29
LED = 10W * 1460H = 14.6 KWH * $0.15 = $2.19

So rough numbers. The change from INCandescent to CFL saved ~$1.00/month per four hours of 800 lumen bulb use/day. The change from CFL to LED saves maybe 1/10th that

Nicolas
Location: Oh my name it is nothin’. My age it means less. The country I come from, Is called the Midwest

Post by Nicolas » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:46 pm

CFLs don’t last as long as LEDs do, so there'll be savings in replacement bulb costs as well. And the light is instant-on and more pleasing overall as others have said.

chickadee

Post by chickadee » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:07 am

Do they make LED lights for regular 3-way table lamps that are warm in color like traditional bulbs? I don't care for cold, blue lighting.

Edit: Okay, how does this one from Amazon look? Good reviews, but who knows...Are there brands you like for LEDs?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CEK1O4E/re ... B00L4P0XKM

TierArtz

Post by TierArtz » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:18 am

I plot my electricity usage monthly and have migrated from incandescent, to CFLs, to LEDs over the last 10 years. I hated the slow warm-up time of CFLs and converted to LEDs as soon as I saw good prices at Costco (often with a built-in power provider discount). Our average monthly energy usage decreased by 500 kWh. Using a current average price yields a savings of $55 per month. The other energy saving steps taken were to put a timer on our hot water re-circulation pump to be off during sleeping hours, pull the plug on it when on vacation, and installed a new variable speed pool pump. The new pool pump was very recent, so it's had a minimal effect on the figures used.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:26 am

BolderBoy wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:05 pm
dmk395 wrote:

Thank you for disposing of (mercury toxic) fluorescent lights responsibly (at Home Depot recycling)! Many home stores offer this as well. Quality LED bulbs are running around $2-5 a piece now, that's much cheaper than a few years ago. Hopefully they last much longer than CFL.

There's still a bunch of electronic waste inside of LED bulbs, so hopefully these don't end up in incinerators/landfills in the next decades.

MathIsMyWayr

Post by MathIsMyWayr » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:43 am

criticalmass wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:26 am
Hopefully they last much longer than CFL.

There's still a bunch of electronic waste inside of LED bulbs, so hopefully these don't end up in incinerators/landfills in the next decades.
I have been replacing with LED light bulbs for several years. Price came down a lot, from around $20. However, the life span of LED bulbs is disappointing. It is claimed to last 15,000-25,000 hours. I have already experienced several failures. Apparently they have not been very successful in managing heat generation/dissipation.

tindel

Post by tindel » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:10 am

chickadee wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:07 am
Do they make LED lights for regular 3-way table lamps that are warm in color like traditional bulbs? I don't care for cold, blue lighting.

Edit: Okay, how does this one from Amazon look? Good reviews, but who knows...Are there brands you like for LEDs?

Those should be warm in color (2700k) but at >$15 a piece it will take a while to make your money back.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:38 am

MathIsMyWayr wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:43 am
criticalmass wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:26 am
Hopefully they last much longer than CFL.

I have been replacing with LED light bulbs for several years. Price came down a lot, from around $20. However, the life span of LED bulbs is disappointing. It is claimed to last 15,000-25,000 hours. I have already experienced several failures. Apparently they have not been very successful in managing heat generation/dissipation.
I've also had one fail on me, a Cree $12 9W bulb. But it was outside in a fixture controlled by a photocell, so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt for the moment. I noticed the photocell would flicker on/off at dusk, even though it was supposed to have a delay function to prevent just that. Heat built up inside a fixture could also be an issue.

J G Bankerton

Post by J G Bankerton » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:46 am

dmk395 wrote:
I notice there is no heat with LEDs. I also noticed a reduction in electricity but LED bulbs weren't my only change.

iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:50 am

dmk395 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:52 pm
wilked wrote:

If I save $20 a month I'd be thrilled!
You won't.

A typical 60W equivalent CFL draws 14W. The LED-equivalent draws as little as 7.5W for the best currently available.

$20 savings per month would take 35 bulbs running continuously all month long as the US average price of electricity.

If your bulbs average 3 hours use per day, then the payback period for a $5 bulb would be about 6 years. More expensive electricity or cheaper bulbs obviously accelerate that.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:13 am

Teague wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:26 pm
Lighting comprises a pretty small portion of most residential energy consumption. I learned that from a consumer class put on by the local electric utility. So if that's true in your case, changing to LEDs (or candles or trained fireflies or simply living in the dark) wouldn't make a huge difference.
The number I have seen is c 10%-20% (varies by location & air conditioning load).

The number you have quoted may have assumed efficient light bulbs?

I have something like 50 lightbulbs in my 1500 square foot Victorian house (London). American houses are of course bigger, but the latitude is lower (so less need in winter).

Usage varies of course but things like the hall light and the kitchen spotlights will be on a significant amount of time.

If we assume 50 bulbs x 50 watts x 1.5 hrs/ day x 365 days = 1396 kwhr pa. That's about half my annual consumption (post changing lightbulbs). So say 1000 kwhr pa. Costs about USD $260 pa.

If the average US house uses something like 10,000 kwhr pa (that's the Air Conditioning for you).

Then we drop 80-90% that's going to be an 8-9% drop.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:15 am

J G Bankerton wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:46 am
dmk395 wrote:
I notice there is no heat with LEDs. I also noticed a reduction in electricity but LED bulbs weren't my only change.
There is, LEDs actually are not that efficient - and it's a serious problem in terms of their reliability e.g. in recessed mounts.

It's no so much that LEDs don't produce heat, as that incandescents are so inefficient (and halogen bulbs) that they produce huge amounts of heat.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:22 am

Bacchus01 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:32 pm
dmk395 wrote:
I have changed some. I can’t say it made a big difference.

Changing out perfectly good bulbs before they are dead with LED does not seem environmentally friendly.
If it is a halogen or incandescent bulb it is. The environmental cost of the extra electricity burned* is so large that saving that is worth doing. However if CFLs no they are not worth replacing early.

In the days when LED bulbs were c. USD 20, (my electricity is now c. USD 26 cents/ kwhr, was about 20 then), I worked out that it actually paid off to take out a perfectly good 50 watt halogen bulb and replace it right then. My electricity consumption dropped by about 10 kwhr per week. At that time that was 500 kwhr pa and about 550 kgs of CO2 emitted (coal fired stations) + PM 10 and PM 2.5 particulates + mercury, lead etc emitted.

(nowadays due to closure of coal fired power stations it's much closer to 250 kgs).

My payback was something like 4 years I think I worked it out as. It was still worth doing then.

* if you live in the Pacific NW, less so - most electricity is hydro electric. However there is power export, so the electricity that your Seattle householder does not burn might be exported and displace dirtier electricity somewhere else.
Last edited by Valuethinker on Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:41 am

wilked wrote:

It totally depends on your average power rate however $20 pcm seems high.

From memory US average is now about 13 cents/ kwhr. But there are places (Connecticut, New York City, California) which are over 20 cents. Time of day pricing also makes a difference as well as usage tiers (California).

That said, going from CFL to LED is c 50% energy use reduction, which is not a lot if one is already all CFLs.

It may be worth doing for aesthetic reasons - quality of light etc.

Otherwise however one should wait.

mrc

Post by mrc » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:20 am

chickadee wrote:

The 2700K color temp is equivalent to tungsten incandescent, so that's good. The copy says "high CRI" but doesn't state the number. I haven't seen an LED CRI that matches incandescent yet, but I have LEDs all over the house and they are fine. The 2700K bulbs are warmer than the 3000K, and very much more than the 5000K bulbs which are much more blue. Worth a try. My non-dimmable are these 100w and these 60w from Philips. And these 60w dimmable from Cree.
Macs are for those who don’t want to know why their computer works | Linux is for those who do | DOS is for those who want to know why their computer doesn’t work | Windows is for those who don’t

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:27 am

crystalbank wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:21 pm
Nicolas wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:15 pm
That's quite a deal. The best I could find here is $1/bulb (A19 or BR30 sizes, 65W equivalent and 2700K temp) due to subsidies by the local utility company.
Check with your state. In MA, I had an energy audit done by MASSsaves that replaced virtually all of my bulbs with LEDs in our new house. They did not replace fluorescents. It was all free, and they also gave me a “smart” power strip.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:31 am

Teague wrote:
And it may depend on the season of the year. Most of us use quite a bit of electricity in the summer months using our air conditioners. In my case, we heat the house in the winter with a propane furnace, and our power bill in summer months is twice that of winter months, so any change in electricity consumption due to LED bulb changeout would likely be more noticeable in winter months. For that reason it probably makes sense to check usage pre- and post-changeout over a longer term.
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

6Pack

Post by 6Pack » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:40 am

I changed to 100% LED lighting a few years ago. I can’t say if it made a big difference because we have too many variables. Our electric bill is about $200/month in a summer (with AC) and winter (heat pump + oil furnace). We are on a well too, so our electric also provides our water.

onourway

Post by onourway » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:46 am

chickadee wrote:

I replaced our entire house’s bulbs with LED’s about 5 years ago. 95% of them are Philips and in that time I’ve had zero failures of their bulbs. They make a number of models that are 2700k similar to incandescent, with high CRI. They also make models that mimic the pleasing red-color shift as you dim them. Highly recommended even if they are a bit more expensive. They will likely last you 20 years.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:20 am

dmk395 wrote:
I did not and I didn't expect to. LED only uses slightly less energy than CFL. The reason to switch is because LED lasts longer and CFL has mercury in them. Therefore, since the CFL bulbs you own has already been manufactured, the environment and your pocket book is better off to replace CFL as they fail with LED rather than get rid of all CFL at once.

Color output is subjective. I actually prefer CFL to LED. Also, understand that some bulbs last longer than others. I used to replace an incandescent bulb every couple of months. Same with CFL. With LED, I think I replace 1 a year on average. I could probably get a refund from the manufacturer but I can't be bothered to find the receipt for a $5 LED bulb.

SimonJester

Post by SimonJester » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:25 am

My average daily KWH usage went from about 20 to 18 when I swapped out all my CFLs to LEDs. At my utility rate I save about $4.50 per month.

Word of warning save your receipt. If these are the FEIT brand they are burning out early. I have had some go out in as little as 3 months. I purchase mine in 2017, so I am going into year three with them, they have a 5 year warranty. So far I have replaced about 6 or 8 under warranty.
Last edited by SimonJester on Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

Topic Author
dmk395

Post by dmk395 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:31 am

Looking in my trash I threw out 9 incandescent bulbs and swapped for lED. The rest were CFL bulbs. For me to spend about $50 if I can recoup my initial outlay in a year and be a better human, I'm ok with it

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:49 am

^I think this thread showed that you would probably not save $50 over the next year.

I'm sitting here eating breakfast without a single light on in the house. Sunlight coming through the windows are enough for everything.

I wonder if $50 would buy a headlamp (LED of course) and a small solar panel to keep it charged? Then unscrew all the light bulbs in the house. How much of the electricity bill would that save?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Barsoom

Post by Barsoom » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:57 am

There are certain lights that my wife likes to keep on all the time, like front entry lights and family room lights. I switched these to LED, mainly for longevity and heat reasons. The incandescent bulbs kept burning out and were a pain to replace.

-B
Last edited by Barsoom on Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:01 am

Lighting makes up a negligible part of my electric usage. The big ones are air conditioning and the refrigerator. For me, the advantage of the new bulbs is they last practically forever and rarely need to be replaced.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham

crit

Post by crit » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:07 am

I replaced 23 recessed incandescent cans in our single-story ranch with LED cans two years ago, after an energy audit. I think they are a dimmable Cree unit, with a warm light spectrum.

The new cans run much cooler, and are closed to air flow. I added foam rings to the gasket just to absolutely kill any air flow into the attic. Those 23 holes in our ceiling were a pretty striking demonstration during the energy audit.

In line with the calculation above, our electric bill was substantially lower, I was quite surprised. I'm just happy I don't have to replace bulbs in all those cans!. And that we're not losing conditioned air to the attic space x23.

Cost me about $300? I'm sure it's paid for itself by now in electricity alone. Very glad I did it.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:25 am

I was changing out bulbs with CFLs and then LEDs as they died but recently (a few months ago) I had all my remaining bulbs changed over for free (I live in Massachusetts and finally took advantage of the MassSave program folks had been recommending to me - if you are a customer of one of major Electric and Gas companies they will do an energy assessment of your house and part of the program is swapping in LEDs any place you have incandescent bulbs). I've noticed no difference. As others have stated - items like refrigerator, oven, washing-machine, etc. use the majority of electricity. I saved all the old bulbs that were swapped and will use these in a few areas where the quality of the LEDs is undesirable.

Here's one calculator to estimate your savings:
http://energyusecalculator.com/electric ... htbulb.htm
Last edited by DaftInvestor on Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:36 am

TierArtz wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:18 am
I plot my electricity usage monthly and have migrated from incandescent, to CFLs, to LEDs over the last 10 years. I hated the slow warm-up time of CFLs and converted to LEDs as soon as I saw good prices at Costco (often with a built-in power provider discount). Our average monthly energy usage decreased by 500 kWh. Using a current average price yields a savings of $55 per month. The other energy saving steps taken were to put a timer on our hot water re-circulation pump to be off during sleeping hours, pull the plug on it when on vacation, and installed a new variable speed pool pump. The new pool pump was very recent, so it's had a minimal effect on the figures used.
Do you attribute the 500 kWh's to only the changing of bulbs or to the other items as well? If only to the bulbs you use a LOT of lighting - far more than the average household.

bob60014

Post by bob60014 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:39 am

Nissanzx1 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:14 pm
I didn't really notice any changes. Where we live, the power company is asking for a special rate increase because so many people have switched to LED and high efficiency appliances that they want to recoup those losses...
This! :annoyed

moehoward

Post by moehoward » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:45 am

Teague wrote:
I would agree with that. If you really want to make a difference in your bill, monitor refrigerator, heat/air conditioning, stove and dryer. I typically replace bulbs with LEDs when I can but I don't monitor the electric bill.

msk

Post by msk » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:51 am

Do you heat and cool your home? Let's assume you have 5000 watts of tungsten bulbs and replace them with 800 watts of LEDs. The 4200 watts difference is all heat. In winter you heat the house, so the 4200 watts tungsten surplus heat is not wasted. In summer you cool the house, so your air conditioning has to get rid of the surplus heat from the tungstens by cooling an extra 4200 watts. Whether you end up seeing any obvious savings in your utility bills certainly gets much more muddled than the adverts profess! And of course you do not switch on all the lights all night either.

youngpleb

Post by youngpleb » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:01 am

Teague wrote:
Although if you light enough candles perhaps they will heat your house and potentially even be enough to cook your food...think of the additional electricity savings :mrgreen: :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:18 am

msk wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:51 am
Do you heat and cool your home? Let's assume you have 5000 watts of tungsten bulbs and replace them with 800 watts of LEDs. The 4200 watts difference is all heat. In winter you heat the house, so the 4200 watts tungsten surplus heat is not wasted. In summer you cool the house, so your air conditioning has to get rid of the surplus heat from the tungstens by cooling an extra 4200 watts. Whether you end up seeing any obvious savings in your utility bills certainly gets much more muddled than the adverts profess! And of course you do not switch on all the lights all night either.
In winter the heat may not be wasted but it’s super-expensive to heat your house with electricity as compared to heating with natural gas.

Teague

Post by Teague » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:20 am

msk wrote:
5000 watts of tungsten bulbs is 50 bulbs, each 100 watts, burning at the same time in one house. If that's what you do, then yes, I'm pretty sure you'll save a bunch by switching to LEDs.

That must be the house that inspired painter Thomas Kinkade, what with enough light coming out of his houses and cottages to appear that they might be on fire.
Semper Augustus

Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:34 am

msk wrote:
I raised this point about 8 years ago ;-) and someone noted then ;-).

It's true for heat. However heating the ceiling of a room generally is not too helpful. And that's only if you heat with electric induction. If you heat with gas it's far cheaper to use the furnace. If you heat with heat pump it is say 2.5-3.0 COP (ie 1/4 to 1/3rd) of the electricity to use the HP over a light or electric bar heater.

For cooling, at a Coefficient of Performance of say 3.0, your AC burns about 1400 watts say moving the heat out. So it's not a huge factor. That said, places like kitchens with a lot of lighting it makes a noticeable difference to comfort, I find.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:35 am

This thread has me wondering: Do some folks turn all their lights on throughout their house and just leave them on all day? Perhaps no windows or little natural light and you spend most time at home? Even if so - why not only use lights in the rooms you are actually in?

I only ask because I see folks talking about a 500 KwH savings just by changing bulbs and using numbers like 5000 watts.

We tend to turn lights on mostly at night for any long period of time. Lights like closet-lamps and basement-lamps are only on for a short period of time when we are in those spaces. Even before changing bulbs - we were in a room maybe lit by a few 60-watt bulbs - representing a grand total of 180 watts. Add in the fact that we occasionally go into the kitchens and bathrooms and occasionally the outside flood-lights come on (with a sensor) and we are looking at may 400 watts of use-age at any one time.

Seems like the biggest change some folks can make to save money might be simply not to be leaving lights on all throughout their house and property when not needed. My entire electric bill isn't 500 kwh for a month and yet someone is able to save this by switching out bulbs. Wow.

daheld

Post by daheld » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:44 am

GoldStar wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:35 am
This thread has me wondering: Do some folks turn all their lights on throughout their house and just leave them on all day? Perhaps no windows or little natural light and you spend most time at home? Even if so - why not only use lights in the rooms you are actually in?

I only ask because I see folks talking about a 500 KwH savings just by changing bulbs and using numbers like 5000 watts.

We tend to turn lights on mostly at night for any long period of time. Lights like closet-lamps and basement-lamps are only on for a short period of time when we are in those spaces.

Seems like the biggest change some folks can make to save money might be simply not to be leaving lights on all throughout their house and property when not needed. My entire electric bill isn't 500 kwh for a month and yet someone is able to save this by switching out bulbs. Wow.
I have found that marriage consists of 3 things:

1. Returning stuff to department stores.
2. Not knowing which towels are intended for which purpose.
3. Following my wife around turning off lights she leaves on.

We also average about 600 kwh/month. Home is 2100SF ranch with a finished basement of about 1500 SF. Old washer and dryer; we'll never upgrade to energy efficient models because they're junk and don't last. I've slowly started converting to LED as bulbs burn out. I did replace some indoor flood lamps while the old ones were still working, but only because the old incandescent flood lamps get alarmingly hot. I'm really blown away by people who just leave every dang light in the house on. I am not a green zealot by any stretch of the imagination, but turn your lights off, people!

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:01 am

daheld wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:44 am
GoldStar wrote:

We tend to turn lights on mostly at night for any long period of time. Lights like closet-lamps and basement-lamps are only on for a short period of time when we are in those spaces.

We also average about 600 kwh/month. Home is 2100SF ranch with a finished basement of about 1500 SF. Old washer and dryer; we'll never upgrade to energy efficient models because they're junk and don't last. I've slowly started converting to LED as bulbs burn out. I did replace some indoor flood lamps while the old ones were still working, but only because the old incandescent flood lamps get alarmingly hot. I'm really blown away by people who just leave every dang light in the house on. I am not a green zealot by any stretch of the imagination, but turn your lights off, people!
Me too, I’m always following my wife around turning off her lights. If she walks into a room for half a minute to get something then its light will remain on for hours otherwise, drives me nuts. A rule should be one light on for each person in a house during the evening hours, no more. My wife thinks it looks much more homey with the whole house alight.

GoldStar

Post by GoldStar » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:06 am

Nicolas wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:01 am
daheld wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:44 am
GoldStar wrote:

Me too, I’m always following my wife around turning off her lights. If she walks into a room for half a minute to get something then its light will remain on for hours otherwise, drives me nuts. A rule should be one light on for each person in a house during the evening hours, no more. My wife thinks it looks much more homey with the whole house alight.
If I were you guys I would start installing motion sensors so they auto shut-off :D