What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
black cat fortunate

Re: What Movie Have You Recently Watched?

Post by black cat fortunate »

telemark wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:16 pm
bertilak wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 10:11 am
Broken Man 1999 wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 9:51 am The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Another spaghetti western starring Clint Eastwood. Co-stars Lee Van Cleef, and Eli Wallach.
One of my favorite movies, if a touch too long. I think Eli Wallach deserves the credit for pushing this movie past "great" into "extraordinary" territory.

OK, so do Sergio Leone and Ennio Morricone.
There are two kinds of people in the world, my friend, those who like spaghetti westerns and, uh, those who don't?
"Tampopo" 1985 is a Japanese Spaghetti Western, centering on a ramen shop. A foodie's delight. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092048/
I just watched it again on FilmStruck, an amazing film streaming service that's sadly ending this week. (After ATT bought Warner)
seychellois_lib

Post by seychellois_lib »

jginseattle wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:56 pm A new Western anthology from the Coen Brothers. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

Now streaming on Netflix.

Recommended.

https://www.seattleweekly.com/film/the- ... -mischief/
Just watched it, Very interesting, Be prepared for sad.
bearcub

Post by bearcub »

Just seen Beautiful Boy. Powerful movie about the drug epidemic in this country. Shows how it can effect anyone + their loved ones. Based on a true story. Will not mention the ending incase someone here wants to see it.
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

dm200 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:59 pm Any feedback on the latest "A Star Is Born" ??
Excellent.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

I (finally) watched "I Can Only Imagine".

Based on the life of Bart Millard (lead singer of the band MercyMe).

Quite the story/journey. Grab your box of tissues before watching.
Texanbybirth

Post by Texanbybirth »

Just finished "Thor: Ragnarok" last night. I think it was as fun as "Guardians of the Galaxy", though having already seen "Avengers: Infinity War" it was bittersweet to see the escape from Asgard.
“The strong cannot be brave. Only the weak can be brave; and yet again, in practice, only those who can be brave can be trusted, in time of doubt, to be strong.“ - GK Chesterton
sid hartha

Post by sid hartha »

Mandy -- Not for everyone but I enjoyed it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandy_(2018_film)
audioaxes

Post by audioaxes »

saw jurassic world fallen kingdom over the weekend... such a sloppy film. Basically a bad clone of the already bad Jurassic Park: Lost World.
dianna

Post by dianna »

anonenigma wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:22 pm
dm200 wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:59 pm Any feedback on the latest "A Star Is Born" ??
Excellent.
Ditto. I see about one movie in theaters every two years. This was was worth the splurge. Exceptional acting, artistic direction, vocals, music, the whole deal. Award worthy on so many levels. If you get a chance to search for some of Bradley Cooper's interviews about the movie, they are worthwhile especially those that have him talking about training his voice 1 octave lower to match Sam Elliott. What commitment. A truly awesome packaged film.
macaroon

Post by macaroon »

Green Book was really good -- funny in places and poignant in others. I love Maharshala Ali in anything.
MNGopher

Post by MNGopher »

seychellois_lib wrote: Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:42 pm
jginseattle wrote: Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:56 pm A new Western anthology from the Coen Brothers. The Ballad of Buster Scruggs.

Now streaming on Netflix.

Recommended.

https://www.seattleweekly.com/film/the- ... -mischief/
Just watched it, Very interesting, Be prepared for sad.
A couple of the stories I thought were very good, and a few were, well just kind of weird.
Elena

Post by Elena »

I watched Cold War. I enjoyed its folkloric and musical aspect, and its simple elegance. I did not fully understand the plot's development.
Last edited by Elena on Sun Dec 23, 2018 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

Mission Impossible: Fallout.
It's kind of a sequel to Rogue Nation where Tom Cruise is once again on steroid. It was totally over the top non-stop action. Sounded familiar? It is very entertaining for the family if you like action movies. Ethan Hunt is a franchise. Not sure if he'll do another one. He is insane for a 50 year old, and insanely fit.
SoAnyway

Post by SoAnyway »

SoAnyway wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:19 pm
6miths wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:45 pm 'Bohemian Rhapsody'. DW and I both loved it. DW said the critics didn't like it and indeed Rotten Tomatoes Critics is 59% and 49 on Metacritic but Audience is 93% and 85 respectively. I don't know if the critics missed the 70s and 80s and the HIV epidemic but it was a powerful depiction of the trial of a very talented man and those around him. Will see it again.
Thanks, 6miths, both for your (and Ms. 6miths) endorsement, and the interesting data points on critics vs. audience. Candidly, I really don't care what non-GenX critics think; I'm looking forward to seeing "Bohemian Rhapsody". Anyone of a certain era will "get it". Those who aren't (understandably) won't. That's ok - They had the Rolling Stones, or The Beatles, or Frank Sinatra, or Britney Spears, or Taylor Swift, or whomever "spoke" (or better said, whose work still "speaks") to them. Bottom line: Rational as most BHs are and aspire to be better at (self included), there's a place for that place that artists speak to, no matter their medium....

Like A-Commoner, I was in college when the AIDS epidemic hit. Freddie Mercury, nee Farrokh Bulsara, was a musical genius, a brilliant performer, and had the amazing magical ability to make every single person in a stadium of 100,000+ people believe that he was speaking directly to just THEM. BTW, no need for anyone reading to take this random internet stranger's word for it - The likes of David Bowie, Roger Daltry, et al. have said as much. (see link above)

I was saddened when he died (RIP), and maybe saddened even more years later that he didn't live long enough to benefit from the amazing medical developments that have transformed HIV/AIDS from the certain death sentence it was in the 80s to the no doubt difficult, but very manageable, condition it is these days. Had he lived just a bit longer, perhaps we'd all have benefitted even more from his extraordinary talents.
Finally saw "Bohemian Rhapsody". Wow. Just "Wow".
This is absolutely a must-see for anyone who rocked out to "A Night at the Opera" back in the 70s or who was at Wembley or JFK in Philly for LIVE AID in the mid-80s, i.e. my generation's version of Woodstock. (As both Bob Geldof and Elton John said, Freddie stole the show - performance linked above at "RIP".) It's even a must-see for anyone who banged their head along with Mike Myers and Dana Carvey in their famous scene in the 90s flick "Wayne's World". (Not a spoiler but fyi: Mike Myers has a cameo role in "Bohemian Rhapsody" that is absolutely priceless.... Nice to see that the producers have a sense of humor and irony....) SoAnyway....

I understand why the critics and diehard fans are calling foul - Much artistic license was taken with timelines and details. Nevertheless, the film is amazing and honors an amazing man. If those closest to him endorse it - i.e. as A-Commoner pointed out, all the surviving members of Queen support it - I'm certainly not going to judge. All props to Rami Malek (!). This wasn't an easy role to perform, and he pulled it off with hard work, skill, talent and finesse.
Nothing in this post constitutes legal or medical advice. | Consult your attorney or physician to verify if/how anything stated might or might not be applicable to your specific situation.
anonenigma

Post by anonenigma »

Elena wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:28 pm I watched Cold war. I enjoyed its folkloric and musical aspect, and its simple elegance. I did not fully understand the plot's development.
Wow - it doesn't open here in Los Angeles until 12/21. Looking forward to it - really liked Ida.
bpp

Post by bpp »

SoAnyway wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:27 am Finally saw "Bohemian Rhapsody". Wow. Just "Wow".
This is absolutely a must-see for anyone who rocked out to "A Night at the Opera" back in the 70s or who was at Wembley or JFK in Philly for LIVE AID in the mid-80s, i.e. my generation's version of Woodstock. (As both Bob Geldof and Elton John said, Freddie stole the show - performance linked above at "RIP".) It's even a must-see for anyone who banged their head along with Mike Myers and Dana Carvey in their famous scene in the 90s flick "Wayne's World". (Not a spoiler but fyi: Mike Myers has a cameo role in "Bohemian Rhapsody" that is absolutely priceless.... Nice to see that the producers have a sense of humor and irony....) SoAnyway....

I understand why the critics and diehard fans are calling foul - Much artistic license was taken with timelines and details. Nevertheless, the film is amazing and honors an amazing man. If those closest to him endorse it - i.e. as A-Commoner pointed out, all the surviving members of Queen support it - I'm certainly not going to judge. All props to Rami Malek (!). This wasn't an easy role to perform, and he pulled it off with hard work, skill, talent and finesse.
I have to admit I was never a fan of Queen in their heyday. In the movie, they describe themselves as "singing for the misfits in the back of the room," whereas in real-life, they were quite the opposite. In my memories of high-school in the 70s, Queen was the favored band of the jocks, cheerleaders and school bullies, the kids who ran the school hierarchy. The misfits were more likely to be listening to David Bowie, Devo or Gary Numan, and assiduously avoiding the kids who were Queen fans out of self-protection. I don't know if they really misunderstood their audience that badly, or if that line was just a bit of retrospective wishful thinking, but it stood out in a jarring way.

Apart from that, it was a very good movie, and has given me a much better appreciation for Queen. Even managed to draw some tears from me, which is a pretty rare thing for a movie to accomplish. Rami Malek pulled off a masterfully convincing performance, and the other actors were all good as well.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

A Simple Favor is a messy but very entertaining comedy. Anna Kendrick and Blake Lively could not be better.

Recommended.

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainm ... er-comedy/

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-f ... of-plastic
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

This week's movies:

Burning - a Korean version of the Great Gatsby with several plot twists. This is one of the best thrillers I have seen in a while although it proceeds very slowly.

Smallfoot - very lightweight movie more geared toward children. Major talent doing the voiceovers. I would only see it with children

The Hate U Give - Honestly, the best movie of the work on a difficult subject. This is probably the best movie that I have seen this year.

Boy Erased - a very disappointing movie. Too many stereotypical characters. It should have been a lot better.
Thesaints

Post by Thesaints »

dm200 wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:45 pm I continue to be puzzled at the generally high cost of going to the movies in person.
As opposed to sending someone else ?

However, "Overlord".
Geronimo !
hdas

[Deleted]

Post by hdas »

[Deleted]
Last edited by hdas on Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Hacksaw Ridge, on DVD. A true story of a US soldier during WWII, Okinawa. I thought the beginning was a little slow, but OK. As the plot progressed, it got more interesting. It also got a bit gory in the latter half of the movie. The story kept me interested and was definitely worth watching.

The DVD includes interviews with the actual soldiers who inspired the movie. It will give you a perspective of what this movie was about.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 »

bpp wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 3:34 am
SoAnyway wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:27 am Finally saw "Bohemian Rhapsody". Wow. Just "Wow".

I have to admit I was never a fan of Queen in their heyday. In the movie, they describe themselves as "singing for the misfits in the back of the room," whereas in real-life, they were quite the opposite. In my memories of high-school in the 70s, Queen was the favored band of the jocks, cheerleaders and school bullies, the kids who ran the school hierarchy. The misfits were more likely to be listening to David Bowie, Devo or Gary Numan, and assiduously avoiding the kids who were Queen fans out of self-protection. I don't know if they really misunderstood their audience that badly, or if that line was just a bit of retrospective wishful thinking, but it stood out in a jarring way.

Apart from that, it was a very good movie, and has given me a much better appreciation for Queen. Even managed to draw some tears from me, which is a pretty rare thing for a movie to accomplish. Rami Malek pulled off a masterfully convincing performance, and the other actors were all good as well.
I believe playing to the misfits line was before they hit it big. Actually, before they were even signed if I recall correctly.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

creed and creed 2.

if ya liked the rocky franchise then get started on the creed franchise.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

LadyGeek wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:06 pm Hacksaw Ridge, on DVD. A true story of a US soldier during WWII, Okinawa. I thought the beginning was a little slow, but OK. As the plot progressed, it got more interesting. It also got a bit gory in the latter half of the movie. The story kept me interested and was definitely worth watching.

The DVD includes interviews with the actual soldiers who inspired the movie. It will give you a perspective of what this movie was about.
You know the nets they climb to get up the ridge? My grandfather was a WWII Navy Seabee. He set those bets.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

htdrag11 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:17 pm Mission Impossible: Fallout.
It's kind of a sequel to Rogue Nation where Tom Cruise is once again on steroid. It was totally over the top non-stop action. Sounded familiar? It is very entertaining for the family if you like action movies. Ethan Hunt is a franchise. Not sure if he'll do another one. He is insane for a 50 year old, and insanely fit.
My wife and I saw this when it came out. Did not care for it. Plot seemed weak relative to previous ones, and Tom’s closeup face shot seemed like it was 50% of the movie.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

Hold the Dark on Netflix

Naturalist writer goes to Alaska to help track down a wild who killed a village child.

I am still confused about what actually happened.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

The Big Sick, on Amazon Prime. A romantic comedy (chick flick). Based on a true story, it's entertaining. Not bad.
Bacchus01 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:49 pm
LadyGeek wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:06 pm Hacksaw Ridge, on DVD. A true story of a US soldier during WWII, Okinawa. I thought the beginning was a little slow, but OK. As the plot progressed, it got more interesting. It also got a bit gory in the latter half of the movie. The story kept me interested and was definitely worth watching.

You know the nets they climb to get up the ridge? My grandfather was a WWII Navy Seabee. He set those bets.
Amazing. :thumbsup
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Jim85

Post by Jim85 »

Children of Men on Netflix. Might require viewing twice.
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

Last edited by jginseattle on Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zrail

Post by zrail »

Frozen.

Twenty six times and counting.

Why yes I do have a toddler why do you ask?
Jeep4Life

Re: What Movie Have You [Recently] Watched?

Post by Jeep4Life »

Can you imagine trying to make "Blazing Saddles" and releasing it for general consumption these days?
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

I saw the following movies on the plane (where I watch many of my movies—long flights and a way to pass the time):

Jumanji—entertaining (hadn’t seen the original)
Crazy Rich Asians (CRA)—entertaining and glittering scenery and outfits (was viewed in theater)
Christopher Robin—sad; hadn’t known the backstory
Miss Peregrine’s School for Peculiar Children—fascinating and very well done
Won’t You be My Neighbor—biographical about Fred Rogers, very interesting and well done
Incredibles2—amusing, light
Mamá Mía, Here we go again—confusing
Holiday (2006, Cameron Diaz & another woman do House swap)—much better than expected
Overboard (rich playboy with amnesia starts new life—suitable for Hallmark channel)

Only movie I will see again is CRA, plus probably it’s sequals, which are already being planned. The others were fine for watching on the plane.
legio XX

Post by legio XX »

Mortal Engines - if you like action movies w/heavy FX, it is more engaging than I expected. Enough "references" to other films to get a student gigged for plagiarism, but in the big leagues this is probably homage. Recommended if this is your genre.
mrmass

Post by mrmass »

Fred Claus only because I love the rendition of Silent Night by Sinead O'Connor that begins at 0:50.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNisotSt0jc
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

HIinvestor wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:39 amCrazy Rich Asians (CRA)—entertaining and glittering scenery and outfits (was viewed in theater)

Only movie I will see again is CRA, plus probably it’s sequals, which are already being planned. The others were fine for watching on the plane.
Everybody loved Crazy Rich Asians, my wife and I only made it about halfway through. Really wanted to like it, but IMO, it was really cheesy and just a perpetual stream of Asian stereotypes. Nothing new or creative.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

The Mountain Between Us - Beautiful landscapes and good acting from Idris Elba & Kate Winslet but I didn't believe the story from the first 5 minutes.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Bacchus01 wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:52 pm
htdrag11 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:17 pm Mission Impossible: Fallout.
My wife and I saw this when it came out. Did not care for it. Plot seemed weak relative to previous ones, and Tom’s closeup face shot seemed like it was 50% of the movie.
Agree with Bacchus01....seemed a bit too....too much of nothing. Yaaaaaaaaaaawn.......... I'd give it a 4 outta 10. Don't waste your time or $.
MandyT

Post by MandyT »

Bohemian Rhapsody, A Star Is Born, and Green Book. All recommended, particularly for the performances (Rami Malek, Lady Gaga, Bradley Cooper, Viggo Mortensen, Mahershala Ali). I think A Star Is Born was my favorite of the three.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

Cactus Flower on Amazon Prime.

This romantic comedy stars Walter Mathau as a dentist, Goldie Hawn as his young girlfriend and Ingrid Bergman as his office nurse. This is a fun movie.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
MisterMister

Post by MisterMister »

Here's cheerful holiday fare: the 25th anniversary re-release of "Schindler's List".

At the matinee I was the only one in the theater.

Why endure that film more than once? Important story, great movie. A great performance by Liam Neeson and a chilling one by Ralph Fiennes.
MisterMister

Post by MisterMister »

MandyT wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:30 am Bohemian Rhapsody, A Star Is Born, and Green Book. All recommended, particularly for the performances (Rami Malek, Lady Gaga, Bradley Cooper, Viggo Mortensen, Mahershala Ali). I think A Star Is Born was my favorite of the three.
Yep, my three favorite movies this year.

I don't think BR was a great movie (although a good one). But the re-creation of Live Aid at the end was electrifying and authentic, and was alone worth the price of admission. I enjoyed all three movies immensely, but I'm willing to pay for second viewing of BH for that reason.
MJW

Post by MJW »

MisterMister wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:25 am At the matinee I was the only one in the theater.
The only way to watch a movie, IMO.
jaypee

Post by jaypee »

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Lucy, on DVD. A sci-fi action thriller, from 2014. The plot is not that complicated, but it's well produced and has lots of action. I liked it.
SGM

Post by SGM »

88 year old Clint Eastwood in The Mule. It was enjoyable on a rainy afternoon.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

They Shall Not Grow Old (2018) Directed by Peter Jackson. No new scenes were filmed. Jackson took 100 year old WW1 footage from the Imperial War Museum and did some magic to bring it to life. It’s a must-see for anyone interested in that era. See my review in this thread —> viewtopic.php?f=11&t=266612&p=4265016#p4265016
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

"Green Book" (directed by Peter Farelly of all people).

White Italian man from New Yawk drives a highly educated black pianist on his music tour through the deep south. Some narrative points are too on-the-nose (i.e., heavy-handed), but it's a good and interesting story and the principle actors give superlative performances.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

LadyGeek wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:21 pm Lucy, on DVD. A sci-fi action thriller, from 2014. The plot is not that complicated, but it's well produced and has lots of action. I liked it.
I liked that one, until the end. It just got weird then.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

Watched Roma on Netflix. It's a black and white, sub titled film about an affluent family and their nanny/housekeeper who live in the Roma district of Mexico City. Excellent film that will be in the running for best picture.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley