GE Washing Machine Screeching Sound

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Kennedy

GE Washing Machine Screeching Sound

Post by Kennedy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:06 pm

I have a basic, top loading GE washing machine that is no longer under warranty. It is making an intermittent screeching sound when it goes through its fast agitation phase. The screech sounds like a really angry, large bird. When it spins, it doesn't screech, but the spinning sound is much, much louder than it used to be. It sounds like the washer is ready to launch into orbit. However, the washer is stable and doesn't move around the room when it spins.

The drum seems to be aligned properly. I can't replicate the sound by turning the drum manually when its empty.

Any idea if this is a DIY repair for a moderately handy person?

Re: GE Washing Machine Screeching Sound

Post by 123 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:16 pm

Have you checked Youtube.com such as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pzp2t48Fm6E Might be other videos as well.

You often aren't the first with a home appliance issue. Sometimes Youtube has an answer, sometimes it just helps you to feel like you're not alone with the issue.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

samsdad

Post by samsdad » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:47 pm

Kennedy wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:06 pm
The screech sounds like a really angry, large bird. When it spins, it doesn't screech, but the spinning sound is much, much louder than it used to be. It sounds like the washer is ready to launch into orbit.
If it makes you feel any better there’s more than a few GE stockholders and analysts making this exact same sound lately.

Sorry about your washer.

The YouTube suggestion is where I’d start. If I couldn’t get it to stop and was bothered enough I’d probably replace it with a Speed Queen.

goodlifer

Post by goodlifer » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:09 am

Our last LG washer and dryer set started screeching at the same time. The pump needed to be replaced on the washer and the rollers on the dryer. You might need to replace the drive belt if you have one, too. Lucky for you, replacement parts for GE products are a lot cheaper and readily available compared to LG parts.

chambers136

Post by chambers136 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:09 am

We have a dryer that would screech. It turned out the be the belt tensioner pulley bearing. It cost $15 to replace. I would get access to the belt area and check how free all pulleys move.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:58 am

There isn't much to a basic top loading washer. It is either the bearings, or something has fallen between the drum (perforated basket) and the tub (watertight enclosure) and when loaded and spinning, the deflection is causing it to rub and screech. To diagnose the latter problem, disconnect all the plugs and hoses and tip it over on one side and then the other. If you hear a loose metal object rattling inside, you have your answer. Over the years I've found lots of metal eating utensils, pocket knives, all sorts of fasteners, etc. While you have it tipped over, shine your flashlight up through the bottom to have a look at the bearings. Have someone wiggle the drum and see if you see any play in the bearings.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:37 am

lthenderson wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:58 am
There isn't much to a basic top loading washer. It is either the bearings, or something has fallen between the drum (perforated basket) and the tub (watertight enclosure) and when loaded and spinning, the deflection is causing it to rub and screech. To diagnose the latter problem, disconnect all the plugs and hoses and tip it over on one side and then the other. If you hear a loose metal object rattling inside, you have your answer. Over the years I've found lots of metal eating utensils, pocket knives, all sorts of fasteners, etc. While you have it tipped over, shine your flashlight up through the bottom to have a look at the bearings. Have someone wiggle the drum and see if you see any play in the bearings.
Try to get as much water out from bottom as you can before tipping, and be ready for more. There is often quite a bit of water after the spin cycle ends. The noise does sound like a bearing issue, but compare your noise to videos of known noises. Fortunately it should be straightforward to fix with the right parts.

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:56 am

My GE top loader machine also screeches once or twice during a cycle...it is 3 years old, but performs ok.

galawdawg

Post by galawdawg » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:15 pm

I recently replaced the transmission in my seven year old Whirlpool top loader (vertical modular washer). It had a loud roaring noise that started a few months ago during the high speed spin cycle. Eventually the machine would stop during that cycle, leaving wet clothes in the tub. I was able to diagnose that the bearings were shot but replacement of bearings on my model required replacement of the entire transmission unit. The part was about $150 and it took me a day to replace it.

It it had been a brand new washing machine, I probably could have swapped the part out in an hour or less, but what they don't show you on the DIY repair videos on YouTube is the effort that may be required to remove parts that are rusted or have years of caked on detergent "glue". (Those videos always seem to show the repair on a "fresh off the factory floor" machine!) The one day it took for the repair did include regular breaks as several times I was about ready to just order a new one after running into a stuck part removing the inner washer tub, so it really only took about four or five hours. Once I got the inner tub out, the rest was a piece of cake.

As a recent retiree, the project was worth the time, saved me about $600, and kept me from discarding what was otherwise an excellent washing machine.

I'd recommend you do an internet search using your model number to see if there are reference materials online. For my washer, I was able to locate and download the Whirlpool maintenance manual as a PDF and use it to run diagnostic tests. The results were displayed as a sequence of lit cycle lights. I would not have known to do that without the maintenance manual.

chw

Post by chw » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:29 pm

It could be the belt is out of alignment, or is getting ready to let go. If the washer is not too old, it might be worth having an appliance repair person take a look at it. The repair person might declare the washer dead, but may be able to get it repaired for a reasonable cost. I went through this earlier this year. I found a quality repair service on Angie's List.

Good luck!

earlywynnfan

Post by earlywynnfan » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:46 pm

I'm new to this forum, but I'm amazed that Bogleheads would buy anything but a Speed Queen!!

nedsaid

Post by nedsaid » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:52 pm

samsdad wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:47 pm
Kennedy wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:06 pm
The screech sounds like a really angry, large bird. When it spins, it doesn't screech, but the spinning sound is much, much louder than it used to be. It sounds like the washer is ready to launch into orbit.
If it makes you feel any better there’s more than a few GE stockholders and analysts making this exact same sound lately.
I got a good chuckle out of that one. And yes, I still am a GE shareholder.
A fool and his money are good for business.

Kennedy

Post by Kennedy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 4:55 pm

lthenderson wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:58 am
Interesting! About the time the screeching sound started, my husband's credit card went missing. He said he was pretty sure he left it in a pocket, but it was never found. I felt around the bottom of the drum where it meets the agitator, but I didn't feel anything. I'll have to take another look. Thanks for mentioning this as a possible source of the noise.

Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:51 am

earlywynnfan wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:46 pm
I'm new to this forum, but I'm amazed that Bogleheads would buy anything but a Speed Queen!!
Sadly, as of 2018 Speed Queen is no longer the go-to machine. It's very difficult to find a reliable and effective washing machine today.

earlywynnfan

Post by earlywynnfan » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:45 am

Please, what have I missed? Bought a new one in 2017, what has changed??

Thanks, Ken

samsdad

Post by samsdad » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:49 am

Frugal Al wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:51 am
earlywynnfan wrote:
Sadly, as of 2018 Speed Queen is no longer the go-to machine. It's very difficult to find a reliable and effective washing machine today.
I’d like to know this too. What info are you relying on?

earlywynnfan

Post by earlywynnfan » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:50 am

earlywynnfan wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:45 am
Please, what have I missed? Bought a new one in 2017, what has changed??

Thanks, Ken
Disregard, did a search. I guess I got mine at the right time.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:37 pm

samsdad wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:49 am
Frugal Al wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:51 am
earlywynnfan wrote:
I’d like to know this too. What info are you relying on?
See the New York Times's Wire Cutter. The Speed Queen uses much more water and energy than other models, causes more wear on clothing, and as of the 2018 model struggles to clean laundry on top of that. When a long time dealer and fan of the company posted a video of the new washer in action, the company demanded he take down the video. When he didn't do that, they immediately prevented him from buying parts to repair decades of washers he sold, let alone new washers. Is that the behavior of a reputable company I would want to do business with? No way.

I'm very happy with the cleaning ability and reliability of my HE front loading washer, and my water bill over the years is a fan too.

https://thewirecutter.com/blog/speed-queen-washer

IowaFarmBoy

Post by IowaFarmBoy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:36 pm

My B-I-L recently bought a Speed Queen. He was told the same thing about the home lines so went through a dealer that handle commercial lines for Speed Queen and thinks he bought a model with the old school durability. I think he said he gave up a few things like being able to adjust the size of the load.

I haven't done any work to verify this myself but thought I would put it out there in case anyone was in the market and wanted to research.....