Robot Vacuum Cleaner?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
The Wizard

Re: Robot Vacuum Cleaner?

Post by The Wizard » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:39 am

lxr184 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:55 am
I've always wondered: if you have a pet and they have an accident, or leave a "present", what happens if the robot tries to clean it up (and then continues cleaning the rest of the house)?
I suspect you're gonna be up s*** Creek if that happens...
Attempted new signature...

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:42 pm

PFInterest wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:41 am
start here:
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-robot-vacuum/
Wirecutter recommended the Eufy RoboVac 11S. I got it from AMZN for $200, and after a few days I'm quite impressed. It cruises around in a random pattern and cleans very nicely - I know because I empty it after each use, and it's full of dust and dog hair. It's getting into spots that we don't clean regularly with the large vacuum - or, the dog is shedding a lot every day.

It seems very well constructed, and easy to disassemble and clean. It doesn't bump too hard against objects - I haven't even had to "protect" the dog's water bowl. It's quiet. Watching it is hypnotic. Glad I don't have any weed in the house, or I'd really be in trouble :)

I guess my only complaint, if I had to make on, is that it takes 6 hours to charge and then runs for only 90 minutes. That means I can only use it a couple times a day - I'd like to use it more!

JBTX

Post by JBTX » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:31 pm

Small Law Survivor wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:42 pm
PFInterest wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:41 am
start here:
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-robot-vacuum/
Wirecutter recommended the Eufy RoboVac 11S. I got it from AMZN for $200, and after a few days I'm quite impressed. It cruises around in a random pattern and cleans very nicely - I know because I empty it after each use, and it's full of dust and dog hair. It's getting into spots that we don't clean regularly with the large vacuum - or, the dog is shedding a lot every day.

It seems very well constructed, and easy to disassemble and clean. It doesn't bump too hard against objects - I haven't even had to "protect" the dog's water bowl. It's quiet. Watching it is hypnotic. Glad I don't have any weed in the house, or I'd really be in trouble :)

I guess my only complaint, if I had to make on, is that it takes 6 hours to charge and then runs for only 90 minutes. That means I can only use it a couple times a day - I'd like to use it more!
As we discussed I have 11s and have been satisfied with it. Cheap, perhaps the quietest on the market and simple use. When we had yellow lab on dark wood floors I'd have to run it twice a day to get everything but that kept it much cleaner than running a vacuum every day. I agree the six hour charge kind of stinks but you work around it. When we had the dog, I'd sometimes have to empty the bin before they cycle finished.

TheHouse7

Post by TheHouse7 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:34 pm

squirm wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:30 am
Wouldn't it be most economical to just pull out the vac once a month and do just do a quick twenty minute vacuum?
This is to make a significant other happy, obviously a very large house where they allow thier golden retriever everywhere.

We love our GR to death, fence off areas, and good luck. :beer
"PSX will always go up 20%, why invest in anything else?!" -Father-in-law early retired.

Toons

Post by Toons » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:50 pm

I would give Roomba another chance,
Vast improvements in recent years...
The 690 :happy
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XR ... UTF8&psc=1
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

corn18

Post by corn18 » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:14 pm

Thanks to this thread, I have a eufy 30 on the way from Amazon. Should be here Wednesday.

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:13 am

corn18 wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:14 pm
Thanks to this thread, I have a eufy 30 on the way from Amazon. Should be here Wednesday.
Good move - I'm not into gadgets, but so far this is one I'm glad I have

queso

Post by queso » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:30 am

I caved and ordered one too (a Roomba variant from Costco). Will report back once I get it and fiddle around with it a bit. Planning to let it run in the main entrance areas of our house since those get the most traffic/dirt and are also the most visible. Not sure how it would work in other areas since it can't access other areas of the home without human intervention so I suspect rather than buy a clone army of them I'll just continue to clean the other rooms manually.

Gadget

Post by Gadget » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:22 pm

I have the roomba 980, which supplements regular vacuuming every 2 weeks. 2 small kids and 1 big arctic dog.

While it is exhausting to keep the house picked up every day before we go to work so the robot can vacuum, after 2 or 3 months of full bins in minutes it has finally made a difference. Feels like there is less dog hair everywhere now. It will now finally vacuum the entire day we're at work and the kids are at daycare without filling up the bin. You'd be surprised how much stuff it picks up underneath beds and furniture that you never vacuum under manually.

That said, I have to keep my kids rooms closed off from the robot every day. Too much work picking up their rooms. When they are older I suppose I can make them or threaten that the robot will eat their toys.

queso

Post by queso » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:27 pm

Do any of you have motion detectors in your homes? Just wondering if the robot vacs fly low enough under the radar to avoid setting them off.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:40 pm

whodidntante wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:13 am
A Roomba completely solves the problem of cleaning your floors, and replaces it with a problem of cleaning and maintaining you Roomba, and justifying the Roomba to anyone who visits your home.
The additional problem is where to store it - my spouse states its an eye-sore.

I let my Roomba do the vacuuming while I go to the gym and use the elliptical machine which had me wondering if the vacuuming would have been nearly equal exercise to my time on the elliptical.

I went over to someone's house who spent several minutes trying to tell Alexa to "Turn on side-table lamp" - I almost fell over laughing because the actual lamp was within his reach.

It all makes me wonder where we will be in 10 - 20 years.

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:56 am

Gadget wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 4:22 pm
. . , after 2 or 3 months of full bins in minutes it has finally made a difference. Feels like there is less dog hair everywhere now. It will now finally vacuum the entire day we're at work and the kids are at daycare without filling up the bin. You'd be surprised how much stuff it picks up underneath beds and furniture that you never vacuum under manually.
Yes, I'm running mine 2x day on the first floor of our house, and the bin is full after every 90 minute session. And we had our every-two-week housekeeper her a couple of days before we started using this thing.

pointyhairedboss

Post by pointyhairedboss » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:42 am

Jumping into the party a little late.

I don't have a product recommendation, but based on my experience with a very old Neato robot vac, I have a few comments about what to look out for in a robot vac.

The ideal robotic vac should not require much supervision. You want a vac that can be trusted to run at the same time everyday without requiring pre, post, and/or in run help. The whole point of having a robotic vac is to save you time. Having to supervise your robotic vac on every run defeats the purpose of having a robotic vac.
  • The type/implementation of invisible wall matters. Ideally, you want invisible walls that are nearly invisible to the humans too. My old Neato used magnetic strips that you would have to roll out over the floor. This is suboptimal because the strips are ugly. You wouldn't want guests to see the strips when they visit. Additionally, strips move when they are stepped on. So you only rolled out the strips when Neato was running and put them away when Neato was complete.
  • Ensure that the robot vac is capable of running without getting stuck. The Neato product that I used did not know its own height, so it would get stuck under the refrigerator or under the cabinets. This required more invisible walls to navigate around and forced me to be nearby every time it ran.

Rugs over top hardwood floor can be another source of sticking when the vac tries to go from floor to carpet.

This type of capability is not something that can be discerned from a merchant search filter. The best way to determine these issues it to read free form reviews on the product from a site like Amazon