Job search and Finance industry

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Calygos

Job search and Finance industry

Post by Calygos » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:42 pm

Hi all,

As some of you may recall from my previous post about signing up for COBRA, I recently left my job in Washington state and have moved to downtown Chicago, which is where I am focusing my job search. For a variety of reasons, my primary area of focus is the finance industry. In particular, there are a lot of opportunities for IT work at trading firms. I actually just had a phone interview Friday with a recruiter at one such firm (having originally been contacted about the role through a 3rd party recruiter), which went very well, and did their technical challenge test through HackerRank today, and based on everything I've read about them on their site, Glassdoor, and through general Googling, I'm incredibly excited about the opportunity and think I have a decent chance at landing it.

The reason I'm posting is because I'm incredibly interested in learning about the financial industry in even far more depth, especially since it would be so critical to working at companies within the industry, which I would just through being employed by such a company. But I'd like to take a lot more initiative and read more on subjects related to the companies with whom I'd most likely be working. The current best opportunity is as a systems engineer at a trading firm that deals in HFT primarily through the CME (though many other exchanges as well). I've just ordered a book that was referenced in their excellent technical blog, Great by Choice, but I'd also be interested in other resources that you all may be able to suggest, ideally in increasing levels of detail and technical challenge.

I hope this post is appropriate to the forum and in the right sub-forum, but I'm fine with removing or moving it as mods feel appropriate.

Thanks,
Calygos

PolarBearMarket

Re: Job search and Finance industry

Post by PolarBearMarket » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:58 pm

The world of HFT and the world of personal investing (the topic of this forum) have almost nothing to do with each other. It's like comparing a toothpick and a refrigerator - they are both in the kitchen, but that's where the similarity ends.

That said, my favorite book on the subject is A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton Malkiel.

Calygos

Post by Calygos » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:01 pm

PolarBearMarket wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:58 pm
The world of HFT and the world of personal investing (the topic of this forum) have almost nothing to do with each other. It's like comparing a toothpick and a refrigerator - they are both in the kitchen, but that's where the similarity ends.

That said, my favorite book on the subject is A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton Malkiel.
I have read that book but not in a few years, so I'll add it to my current list to re-read (I think I posted this to the Investing theory forum and it was moved, but maybe I'm too intoxicated to realize I didn't post to the right place). As for your other point, I understand and agree, I just figured that there are a lot of people here with a significant combined knowledge of the finance industry in general and that it wouldn't hurt to ask.

alec

Post by alec » Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:13 am

Yeah, there’s a difference between market micro structure and personal finance. If u want an intro to the securities industry, you can study and take FINRAs SIE exam.

“Dark Pools” by Scott Patterson is a good book on the history of equity market structure and birth of HFT like Tradebot up through the early 2000s.

Michael Lewis’s “Flash Boys” kind of picks up where it left off, but is more “HFT are evil”. Obviously, there were some threads on here when his book came out.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair

Bodhi312

Post by Bodhi312 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:11 pm

You can send me a PM if you’d like. I’ve spent my entire career in this space/city.

Calygos

Post by Calygos » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:27 am

alec wrote:
Mon Dec 03, 2018 9:13 am
Yeah, there’s a difference between market micro structure and personal finance. If u want an intro to the securities industry, you can study and take FINRAs SIE exam.

“Dark Pools” by Scott Patterson is a good book on the history of equity market structure and birth of HFT like Tradebot up through the early 2000s.

Michael Lewis’s “Flash Boys” kind of picks up where it left off, but is more “HFT are evil”. Obviously, there were some threads on here when his book came out.
"Dark Pools" looks interesting, I've added it to my shopping cart, and I'd already been interested in "Flash Boys", so I'll probably get them together. Sounds like read together they might provide something of a balanced look at HFT. Thanks for the recommendations.

Bodhi312

Post by Bodhi312 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:02 am

Calygos, can you enable PM receipt? I received your PM.

Calygos

Post by Calygos » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:31 am

Bodhi312 wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:02 am
Calygos, can you enable PM receipt? I received your PM.
Done! DIdn't realize it was off.