Dealing with Jeep for warranty claims. Any tips?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ChinchillaWhiplash

Dealing with Jeep for warranty claims. Any tips?

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:24 pm

Have 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with loud ticking noise from engine. Sounds like valve train. I did an oil change one time and found metal flakes. Usually had the oil changed at a Ford/Nissan dealer for the life of the vehicle. Drivetrain warranty expires 5 years/100k miles. We are just over 95k and I set up an appointment. We are the original owners.

The Jeep dealer just did an oil change last month when I took it there for a safety recall fix. Seems like they would have noticed the noise as it has been going on for a while before I took it in. Was wondering how much difficulty I will have to get them to fix the engine? I have delt with Infinity before with bad results when a low milage vehicle we bought new dropped a valve. I serviced the car myself back then since nearest Infinity dealer was a 5 hour 1 way drive. I took the Jeep to the Ford dealer because I don't like our local Jeep dealer and wanted to have the service done at a dealer so there would be a record of it.

fortfun

Re: Dealing with Jeep for warranty claims. Any tips?

Post by fortfun » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:31 pm

ChinchillaWhiplash wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:24 pm
Have 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk with loud ticking noise from engine. Sounds like valve train. I did an oil change one time and found metal flakes. Usually had the oil changed at a Ford/Nissan dealer for the life of the vehicle. Drivetrain warranty expires 5 years/100k miles. We are just over 95k and I set up an appointment. We are the original owners.

The Jeep dealer just did an oil change last month when I took it there for a safety recall fix. Seems like they would have noticed the noise as it has been going on for a while before I took it in. Was wondering how much difficulty I will have to get them to fix the engine? I have delt with Infinity before with bad results when a low milage vehicle we bought new dropped a valve. I serviced the car myself back then since nearest Infinity dealer was a 5 hour 1 way drive. I took the Jeep to the Ford dealer because I don't like our local Jeep dealer and wanted to have the service done at a dealer so there would be a record of it.
I had a Dodge Dakota (same manufacturer as Jeep) that made a strange noise every time I got up to 30mph. I kept taking it back to the dealer, probably a dozen times, before they finally put me on the phone with corporate office. Corporate office was able to pull up a brand new service bulletin that was able to correct the problem. Had I not been persistent taking it back to the dealer, I would have never had the phone call with corporate office, and the truck may have never been fixed. I'd keep taking it back to the dealership until they escalate the problem to corporate. At that point, corporate will usually provide some sort of a solution but you'll need to be persistent, at least that was my experience. Also, bringing it in for the same problem, many times, will help document that there was a problem long before the warranty expired. On a side note, I've only purchased Toyota since that time...
Last edited by fortfun on Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:40 pm

I would document the problem while under warranty in case you need proof when it is out of warranty. I'd have the dealer and a private mechanic look at it.

ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:54 am

Would a good way of documenting be to video the ticking, show odometer reading, and the VIN? Would hope that would be adequate. I might try and contact the main company customer service as well. I had to do this with Infinity and they make it very difficult to find out how to contact them. Guess they don't want to hear about your problems :oops: Hope Jeep is easier to deal with.

ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:40 pm

Found that these engines, 3.2 L VVT 24 valve OHC, are prone to have problems with valve train. Ticking sound that mine is making is usually caused by defective rocker arm bearings. Usually causes excessive wear on the camshaft too. This should be an item covered under the 5 yr/100,000 power train warranty. If you hear a loud ticking noise from the engine bay, have it checked out at the dealer. Will report back with results once I get the results of our service visit next week. Wish me luck :|

hand

Post by hand » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:07 pm

If it were me, I'd do everything in my power not to cross the 100k milage threshold until this issue is resolved - why give Jeep an easy out?

sjt

Post by sjt » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:12 pm

No matter the outcome, I would recommend selling the vehicle. I would not want to have a Chrysler product after the warranty period ended.
"The one who covets is the poorer man, | For he would have that which he never can; | But he who doesn't have and doesn't crave | Is rich, though you may hold him but a knave." - Wife of Bath tale

ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:11 pm

Yeah, looks like this vehicle is an overall lemon with 292 TSBs! 74 TSB is the average for any particular vehicle.

Morgan Dollar 1921

Post by Morgan Dollar 1921 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:49 pm

sjt wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:12 pm
No matter the outcome, I would recommend selling the vehicle. I would not want to have a Chrysler product after the warranty period ended.
Agree, at first I thought oil analysis for metal contamination to determine the percentage, but then I thought, add that amount to your trade diff and move on. What happened to the 4.0L durability? Gone with the wind!

ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:18 pm

Morgan Dollar 1921 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:49 pm
sjt wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:12 pm
Agree, at first I thought oil analysis for metal contamination to determine the percentage, but then I thought, add that amount to your trade diff and move on. What happened to the 4.0L durability? Gone with the wind!
Yeah, wish they would bring back the old 4.0 straight 6. That engine was great!

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:37 pm

So you took it to the dealer and didn't bother to tell them about the issue, but expected them to just pick up on it? Doesn't seem like the best plan. My tip seems like an obvious one to me, but I'd suggest taking it to the dealer and making them aware of the problem before the warranty runs out? :shock:

Edit to add: I mean, you haven't even given them a chance to rectify the situation.

ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:45 pm

FlyAF wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:37 pm
So you took it to the dealer and didn't bother to tell them about the issue, but expected them to just pick up on it? Doesn't seem like the best plan. My tip seems like an obvious one to me, but I'd suggest taking it to the dealer and making them aware of the problem before the warranty runs out? :shock:

Edit to add: I mean, you haven't even given them a chance to rectify the situation.
I have an appointment specifically to look at the problem. But, yes, just now getting them to look at it. If they had good mechanics, they would have noticed the noise and said something, one would think. I mean, it should pretty obvious to a trained professional. If you went to a primary care physician for a flu shot and they see a large, irregular, funny colored mole on your face, wouldn't you think they would be concerned and say something to you?

FlyAF

Post by FlyAF » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:52 pm

Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:45 pm
FlyAF wrote:

I have an appointment specifically to look at the problem. But, yes, just now getting them to look at it. If they had good mechanics, they would have noticed the noise and said something, one would think. I mean, it should pretty obvious to a trained professional. If you went to a primary care physician for a flu shot and they see a large, irregular, funny colored mole on your face, wouldn't you think they would be concerned and say something to you?
Apples and oranges. A dealership mech isn't just going to start pointing out things that they're going to have to fix at a discount under warranty.

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:53 pm

Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:45 pm
FlyAF wrote:

The oil change monkeys they have are not mechanics and are not going to be looking for problems on your Jeep.

ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:29 pm

Got it to the dealer. They checked the engine and found that a cam shaft is bad along with lifters. Covered under warranty. Just have to have less than the 100k miles when I take it back in for the repair. No hassles and didn't have to prove oil change records or anything. I would rate them as quite good so far.

ChinchillaWhiplash

Post by ChinchillaWhiplash » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:17 pm

Jeep has been repaired under warranty. Ended up with failed rocker arms that ate up the lifters and cams. Hopefully it will hold up for a few more years until we want to purchase another vehicle. Worried that there could be damage from all the worn off metal that was floating around in the oil. Hope it did not find its way into crank journal bearings and such. Keeping my fingers crossed.

hand

Post by hand » Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:08 am

Thanks for the follow-up!