Learning Violin as an adult...1000 hours in...

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
helloeveryone

Re: Learning Violin as an adult...2 Years Later

Post by helloeveryone » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:58 am

investingdad wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:47 pm
Two years have passed since I first asked about whether an adult should try to learn a musical instrument with no music background at all.

So two years later and probably 900 hours of violin time, plus weekly lessons, here's what I've accomplished (same violin and bow):

Then
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yfd6R6 ... p=drivesdk

Now
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RKD6m1 ... p=drivesdk

After completing the three book String Builder series with my teacher, she's now moved me into Wohlfahrt etudes and lots of shifting exercises.

We shall see what Year 3 brings.
Sounds great! I’ve been taking guitar lessons 2.5 years now (30min once a week) and it’s been a ton of fun. Slow and steady wins the race! (the race being ongoing improvement and ability to learn things faster)

I’ve been messing around w trying to play along with a metronome and that’s challenging.

youngin87

Re: Learning Instrument/Violin as an adult...2 Years Later

Post by youngin87 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:32 pm

I started piano about 3 and half years ago. I upload videos occasionally to youtube for friends. My grand piano is the most expensive thing I've ever bought and is the thing I take the most care of after my dog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qIJCPnOKI8

Topic Author
investingdad

Post by investingdad » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:34 am

I think I've probably crossed the 1000 hour threshold now as far as time spent learning/practicing the violin over the last 27 months.

I recorded myself playing Simple Gifts and I'm happy with the fairly clean string crossings. I also like the increasing confidence in bowing that I hear. Granted, a simple piece but easy pieces make it easier to focus on basics.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a2C9fR ... p=drivesdk

Bfwolf

Re: Learning Violin as an adult...1000 hours in...

Post by Bfwolf » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:08 pm

I am really impressed with how much you've stuck with this and how much time you're dedicating to it.

mariezzz

Re: Learning Violin as an adult...One Year later!

Post by mariezzz » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:36 pm

Padlin wrote:
Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:24 pm
Tried the guitar when I was roughly 40, didn't take to it.

Retired at 57. Bought a Ukulele about 6 months later as I always wanted to learn an instrument. I play, if you can call it that, an hour or so most days, I like it a lot. Easy to make basic music, easy to teach your self via the internet and books. Small enough to take on vacations and pretty cheap to buy. Some areas have uke clubs where they play together weekly or some such, a lot of fun.

A Ukulele can be had for about $100 for a decent properly setup instrument.
George Harrison played ukelele!

I played viola as a child. Maybe in a few years I will return to it - still have the instrument (carefully stored).

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:33 am

investingdad wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:34 am
I recorded myself playing Simple Gifts and I'm happy with the fairly clean string crossings. I also like the increasing confidence in bowing that I hear.
Intonation is also quite good!
Stay on target...

JupiterJones

Re: Learning Violin as an adult...One Year later!

Post by JupiterJones » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:35 am

mariezzz wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:36 pm
George Harrison played ukelele!
And if that's not enough of a recommendation, this guy plays one too...

Stay on target...

TSR

Post by TSR » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:03 am

I love these updates. Thanks.

One thought: given your enjoyment of playing with others, have you considered asking to learn some fiddle tunes? I ask because (as a guitar player myself) I know it's extremely easy to find people who would enjoy playing back-up on some fiddle tunes, whereas finding other violin players can be much more difficult. I have done this with one friend who was learning violin and I could really see the increase in confidence. It was a lot of fun too.

Topic Author
investingdad

Post by investingdad » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:49 pm

JupiterJones wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:33 am
investingdad wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:34 am
I recorded myself playing Simple Gifts and I'm happy with the fairly clean string crossings. I also like the increasing confidence in bowing that I hear.
Intonation is also quite good!
Thank you. I always like pointing out that it's the same violin when I post these because I think that shows the change over time. In fairness, I now have a MUCH better bow (I went from composite bow to a wooden bow of indeterminate age and origin, it is quite old though) and where I'm playing now in the house has nice acoustics.

No vibrato in these recordings. I've slowly started working on it though. Will be awhile before I can work it into what I'm playing. But my instructor is happy with the mechanics, so maybe the Year 4 update?

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:52 pm

I hear overall improvement, especially intonation. :thumbsup As you nail down the more technical aspects, do you find yourself concentrating more on tones?
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Topic Author
investingdad

Post by investingdad » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:49 pm

Fallible wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:52 pm
I hear overall improvement, especially intonation. :thumbsup As you nail down the more technical aspects, do you find yourself concentrating more on tones?
Absolutely. I rotate through a lot of different stuff (after completing the three String Builder books my teacher favors, we went right into the Wohlfahrt Etudes...I can easily see requiring several years or more to navigate all of those). But I have some easier stuff that I always pull out where I can focus completely on improving tone, smooth string crossings, coordinating bow directional changes to match left hand finger changes, using the whole bow, etc.

That last recording is about my current ceiling of skill when playing an easy piece.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:30 pm

Saw this article today. Reminded me of this thread:

http://stringsmagazine.com/8-adult-amat ... p-playing/
Stay on target...

Topic Author
investingdad

Post by investingdad » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:37 pm

JupiterJones wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:30 pm
Saw this article today. Reminded me of this thread:

http://stringsmagazine.com/8-adult-amat ... p-playing/
Thank you for posting this. I totally identified with a lot of those folks and what they had to say.