Best neighborhoods in Atlanta

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fortysixandtwo

Best neighborhoods in Atlanta

Post by fortysixandtwo » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:18 am

It's looking very likely that we will be moving to Atlanta (from DC) by year's end. I've been researching Atlanta neighborhoods and am having trouble getting a sense of where the best walkable inner-burbs are. We like being able to walk to neighborhood cafes, bookstores, farmer's markets, and our local library. I don't see many independent looking cafes in Atlanta and when I look at single family houses (which is our preference) it looks like everything is surrounded by at least a third of an acre of green space and woods. Are there any Atlantan Bogleheads that could give us some suggestions of areas to check out? Another important detail is that we have a child who is about to enter elementary school, so a good school district would be ideal as well.

Thanks!

aerosurfer

Re: Best neighborhoods in Atlanta

Post by aerosurfer » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:36 am

Decatur (city of, not incorporated) is the bees knees if you can afford it. We moved from there last year and miss it every day. Walkable town with lots going on, easy access to MARTA, great proximity to everything in town. Great schools as well.

The food scene in Atlanta is fantastic, not sure what you searched for restaurants, but once you are there, you cant get bad food in town,

Decatur, Inman Park, Highlands, Mid town and west Midtown, plus the upscale scene in Buckhead...
For huge Ethnic selection head out Buford Highway near PDK airport

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:25 am

The traffic here in Atlanta is brutal so getting a place as close as possible to where you will be working should be your top priority.

The second priority should also be the location of the house for a reasonable commute, The third priority would also be your commute. The traffic is really that bad and getting worse every year. I retired a few years ago but I might have worked another year or two if it was not for a bad commute

Where will your job be at?

What sort of budget do your have for the house?

In some areas you can get a pretty decent house with good schools for less than $300K or even a starter house for less than $200K. In a prime area like you described you could be looking the better part of a million dollars or even more.

The schools and property taxes are usually done by the county and they can vary dramatically so pay a lot of attention to which county the houses are in. Unfortunately the counties are usually small because of historical reasons so there are something like 20 counties that are at least partially in the Atlanta metro area but but about 6 counties account for most of the metro area.

It is still a work in progress but there is an Atlanta Beltline project where old rail lines, parks, acquired land, etc are being pieced together to form a 33 mile walkable and bikeable loop around the city. I have not been following that closely but you might try to find a place near that so be sure to research that.

bradshaw1965

Post by bradshaw1965 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:44 am

I'd agree with Decatur as family focused with great schools. O4W/Beltline area is super walkable and vibrant but my guess is you'd have to solve for schools. Traffic advice is really important, whatever you do don't buy based off of a Summer time or off-hours commute simulation.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:55 am

Not much to go on based on the info given, but anywhere along the east side beltline would fit the bill from Morningside down to ormewood/grant park. Decatur is also a great option. Atlanta is almost exclusively filled with independent cafes so I'm not sure exactly what you're looking at . Perhaps if you told us the areas you have been looking at and what you did or did not like about them we could give you more guidance?

Regarding lot size, Atlanta is not a particularly dense city in general, although it's easy to find density if that's what you prefer. It is also known as "the city in a forest" for a reason. Native Atlantans take protecting their tree canopy VERY seriously.
Last edited by KyleAAA on Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:05 am, edited 3 times in total.

buckstar

Post by buckstar » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:02 am

We used to live in the Virginia Highlands neighborhood, which would satisfy your requirements for a walkable, densely populated neighborhood. We loved it, close to downtown, piedmont park, reasonable distance to Emory university. Good luck!

Watty

Post by Watty » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:12 am

bradshaw1965 wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:44 am
Traffic advice is really important, whatever you do don't buy based off of a Summer time or off-hours commute simulation.
To expand on that. In Atlanta traffic is significantly better when school is out. In addition to things like summer and Christmas breaks many of the schools will also take a week off for a fall or winter break and random days here and there. If you do a test drive of a potential commute on a day when school is out then it will likely be much better than you will have most of the year.

You also need to be careful about assuming that you can just go into work early if you have a flexible job to avoid the traffic. It will vary by area but often by 6:00 AM the roads may already be very busy.

Cash

Post by Cash » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:02 pm

buckstar wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:02 am
We used to live in the Virginia Highlands neighborhood, which would satisfy your requirements for a walkable, densely populated neighborhood. We loved it, close to downtown, piedmont park, reasonable distance to Emory university. Good luck!
The Highlands came to my mind as well. When we were there a few months ago, we walked to a couple of independent coffee shops.

Decatur is also a good option.

mhadden1

Post by mhadden1 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 1:08 pm

I agree that happiness in the Atlanta area depends on a manageable commute. Shorter is better. It rains a lot in Atlanta - which can double commuting times. If it snows, which happens a few times a year - all bets are off. Sometimes commuting against traffic can help - going one direction on the freeway when everyone else is going the other. Public transportation exists in the interior counties - if you can live close to a Marta station/bus stop, and work near another, it can work ok. The need for even one transfer can spoil things timewise.

Atlanta's walkable neighborhoods with music venues/taverns/cafes/boutiques/art/cinema tend to be pricey, and the public schools sketchy. This partly depends on the extent of gentrification.
Oh I can't, can I? That's what they said to Thomas Edison, mighty inventor, Thomas Lindberg, mighty flyer,and Thomas Shefsky, mighty like a rose.

Rajsx

Post by Rajsx » Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:18 pm

City of Decatur & not the incorporated, is a great place to be, it is in the DeKalb County for school district, which leads you to a hot real estate market. Compared to the surrounding counties one may pay extra for the home purchase & in taxes but it will appreciate fast. Real Estate in DC is not any cheaper.

The money part aside, you will enjoy living there, it is very walkable to most of your day to day necessities, safer than the surrounding parts of Atlanta. Although, pot holes on roads are bad, as any other part of Atlanta.

So my 2 cents will be for the city of Decatur, good luck . Go & rent there first for a year, you will know what I mean
We do not stop laughing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop laughing !!

fortysixandtwo

Best Atlanta neighborhoods

Post by fortysixandtwo » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:47 am

[Post moved into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Any Atlantans here who could give Rex’s for a safe walkable neighborhood ITP? Is the “BeltLine” project I’ve been reading about something to consider? It seems like a number of Atlanta neighborhoods don’t have sidewalks or small neighborhood commercial districts where you’d find coffee shops, restaurants, and other services. Am I missing something?

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:00 pm

fortysixandtwo - I moved your post back into your earlier thread. It's a similar discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Watty

Re: Best Atlanta neighborhoods

Post by Watty » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:24 pm

fortysixandtwo wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:47 am
[Post moved into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Any Atlantans here who could give Rex’s for a safe walkable neighborhood ITP? Is the “BeltLine” project I’ve been reading about something to consider? It seems like a number of Atlanta neighborhoods don’t have sidewalks or small neighborhood commercial districts where you’d find coffee shops, restaurants, and other services. Am I missing something?
The heat and humidity in Atlanta make walking difficult to do without getting drenched in sweat for most of the time from about mid May through mid September so that limits the development of walkable neighborhoods. During the summer if you want to go for a walk or jog it you would usually want to do it well before noon.

The other nine months of the year it is surprisingly pleasant most of the time so overall the climate is pretty good. It varies by where you are at but the elevation of Atlanta is around 900 feet which does not sound like a lot but it is one of the highest major cities in the east and that is high enough to make a big difference.

It was a bit late this year but the heat and humidity has just dropped enough for a pleasant walk in the evening within the last week or so.

Elena

Post by Elena » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:13 pm

:oops:
Last edited by Elena on Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elena

Post by Elena » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:14 pm

I second the "closest to wherever you work" suggestion. I moved to VA-Hi Ponce chunk of beltline last year just because, even though I was not far from work distancewise, the commute got longer and longer every year. Going from O4W to Emory can take forever at certain hours. The trend here seems to be biking or e-skating to work, if possible. I have not once regretted moving closer to work. The beltline gets very crowded on the weekends, but it comes with the territory. Atlanta is doing well right now.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:27 pm

fortysixandtwo wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:18 am
We like being able to walk to neighborhood cafes, bookstores, farmer's markets, and our local library.

Thanks!
Check out Brookhaven by Brookhaven Village (on Dresden Drive). Didn’t see that mentioned. The area is filled with families with young kids who like to walk to stuff.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

mortal

Post by mortal » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:54 pm

I'll walk you through my decision process when I moved to Atlanta. I'm in Tech, so this may not apply to you, but tech companies seem to be situated in a wide band, just north of 285, and a narrower one that runs down 400 to downtown. Given this, I rented (and later bought) a condo right smack dab in the middle in Sandy Springs. I can get to Marrietta or in 30 or 40 minutes, likewise, if traveling to midtown or downtown it's about a 45m train ride on marta. Yes, traffic sucks here. You may be used to that coming from DC, but plan accordingly.

drummerboy

Post by drummerboy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:04 am

If you want walkable neighborhoods, definitely stay "ITP" (Inside the Perimeter). Brookhaven and Decatur are two towns with decent school districts. If you truly want walkable, you might want to look at Virginia Highlands.

Anything along the eastside of the Beltline trail (Midtown, Inman Park, Virginia Highlands) is great for walking and not being married to your car.

If you want more of a street grid, look at Midtown. Piedmont Park has a farmer's market every saturday. Walk to sporting events, cultural events, 5 minute Uber rides everywhere, and Midtown is on the MARTA (20 minutes to Airport, or 15-20 minutes north to Buckhead, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody).

We moved to Midtown, but our kids are now in college, so we don't have the "good school district" requirement anymore. We love it. My wife ditched her car completely. You will actually enjoy Atlanta if you don't have to drive all day.

And yes, October is the best month of the year. Spectacular weather and events every weekend.

fortysixandtwo

Post by fortysixandtwo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:56 am

aerosurfer wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:36 am
Decatur (city of, not incorporated) is the bees knees if you can afford it. We moved from there last year and miss it every day. Walkable town with lots going on, easy access to MARTA, great proximity to everything in town. Great schools as well.

The food scene in Atlanta is fantastic, not sure what you searched for restaurants, but once you are there, you cant get bad food in town,

Decatur, Inman Park, Highlands, Mid town and west Midtown, plus the upscale scene in Buckhead...
For huge Ethnic selection head out Buford Highway near PDK airport
I've been looking at Decatur a lot. We would love to live in VA Highlands, but wow, it's hard to find anything under a million, let alone for sale.

Thanks for this.

fortysixandtwo

Post by fortysixandtwo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:01 am

mortal wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:54 pm
I'll walk you through my decision process when I moved to Atlanta. I'm in Tech, so this may not apply to you, but tech companies seem to be situated in a wide band, just north of 285, and a narrower one that runs down 400 to downtown. Given this, I rented (and later bought) a condo right smack dab in the middle in Sandy Springs. I can get to Marrietta or in 30 or 40 minutes, likewise, if traveling to midtown or downtown it's about a 45m train ride on marta. Yes, traffic sucks here. You may be used to that coming from DC, but plan accordingly.
Thanks for this. I will be working in the heart of downtown, so I'm going to try to stay close, ideally in one of the old inner-burbs like Grant Park, or Cabbagetown.

fortysixandtwo

Post by fortysixandtwo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:02 am

drummerboy wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:04 am
If you want walkable neighborhoods, definitely stay "ITP" (Inside the Perimeter). Brookhaven and Decatur are two towns with decent school districts. If you truly want walkable, you might want to look at Virginia Highlands.

Anything along the eastside of the Beltline trail (Midtown, Inman Park, Virginia Highlands) is great for walking and not being married to your car.

If you want more of a street grid, look at Midtown. Piedmont Park has a farmer's market every saturday. Walk to sporting events, cultural events, 5 minute Uber rides everywhere, and Midtown is on the MARTA (20 minutes to Airport, or 15-20 minutes north to Buckhead, Sandy Springs, Dunwoody).

We moved to Midtown, but our kids are now in college, so we don't have the "good school district" requirement anymore. We love it. My wife ditched her car completely. You will actually enjoy Atlanta if you don't have to drive all day.

And yes, October is the best month of the year. Spectacular weather and events every weekend.
Great. Thanks for this. We are zeroing in on the lower eastern inner-burbs, from Grant Park to Decatur.

fortysixandtwo

Post by fortysixandtwo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:04 am

Elena wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:14 pm
I second the "closest to wherever you work" suggestion. I moved to VA-Hi Ponce chunk of beltline last year just because, even though I was not far from work distancewise, the commute got longer and longer every year. Going from O4W to Emory can take forever at certain hours. The trend here seems to be biking or e-skating to work, if possible. I have not once regretted moving closer to work. The beltline gets very crowded on the weekends, but it comes with the territory. Atlanta is doing well right now.
It seems like it's doing well, I thought prices would be a lot cheaper than they appear to be. We are definitely targeting the inner-burbs from Grant Park to Decatur and close to MARTA hopefully.

fortysixandtwo

Post by fortysixandtwo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:04 am

Watty wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:25 am
The traffic here in Atlanta is brutal so getting a place as close as possible to where you will be working should be your top priority.

The second priority should also be the location of the house for a reasonable commute, The third priority would also be your commute. The traffic is really that bad and getting worse every year. I retired a few years ago but I might have worked another year or two if it was not for a bad commute

Where will your job be at?

What sort of budget do your have for the house?

In some areas you can get a pretty decent house with good schools for less than $300K or even a starter house for less than $200K. In a prime area like you described you could be looking the better part of a million dollars or even more.

The schools and property taxes are usually done by the county and they can vary dramatically so pay a lot of attention to which county the houses are in. Unfortunately the counties are usually small because of historical reasons so there are something like 20 counties that are at least partially in the Atlanta metro area but but about 6 counties account for most of the metro area.

It is still a work in progress but there is an Atlanta Beltline project where old rail lines, parks, acquired land, etc are being pieced together to form a 33 mile walkable and bikeable loop around the city. I have not been following that closely but you might try to find a place near that so be sure to research that.
Job will be in the heart of downtown. We are leaning toward the inner-burbs, from Grant Park to Decatur. Thanks!

fortysixandtwo

Post by fortysixandtwo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:07 am

KyleAAA wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:55 am
Not much to go on based on the info given, but anywhere along the east side beltline would fit the bill from Morningside down to ormewood/grant park. Decatur is also a great option. Atlanta is almost exclusively filled with independent cafes so I'm not sure exactly what you're looking at . Perhaps if you told us the areas you have been looking at and what you did or did not like about them we could give you more guidance?

Regarding lot size, Atlanta is not a particularly dense city in general, although it's easy to find density if that's what you prefer. It is also known as "the city in a forest" for a reason. Native Atlantans take protecting their tree canopy VERY seriously.
The "city in the forest" moniker makes total sense. I've never seen so many big trees in a city before! We will stay close in to the city center which is where my job would be. I am really surprised at how pricey places like VA-Hi and Morningside are. Atlanta apparently is doing very well.

fortysixandtwo

Post by fortysixandtwo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:08 am

Rajsx wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:18 pm
City of Decatur & not the incorporated, is a great place to be, it is in the DeKalb County for school district, which leads you to a hot real estate market. Compared to the surrounding counties one may pay extra for the home purchase & in taxes but it will appreciate fast. Real Estate in DC is not any cheaper.

The money part aside, you will enjoy living there, it is very walkable to most of your day to day necessities, safer than the surrounding parts of Atlanta. Although, pot holes on roads are bad, as any other part of Atlanta.

So my 2 cents will be for the city of Decatur, good luck . Go & rent there first for a year, you will know what I mean
Definitely have Decatur in our sights. Do you know much about Oakhurst? or Lake Claire?

fortysixandtwo

Post by fortysixandtwo » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:11 am

LadyGeek wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 3:00 pm
fortysixandtwo - I moved your post back into your earlier thread. It's a similar discussion.
Thanks. I forgot to click "notify me when a reply is posted" and so didn't thinking I was getting any replies because it was posted on the weekend. So I reposted. My mistake.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:00 am

fortysixandtwo wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:07 am
I am really surprised at how pricey places like VA-Hi and Morningside are.
My impression is that the Atlanta housing market tends to vary a lot more by location than other cities I have lived in. That is probably because of how important the commute is. I am out in the suburbs well outside the perimeter, I moved here when I did a corporate relocation here about 16 years ago. When I was house hunting I noticed that on one major road the home prices went up about $10,000 for each mile as you got closer to the downtown area. It is probably even more per mile now.

At that time I had a kid in middle school so the schools were very important to us. One thing I did was pick a few acceptable high schools in areas with an acceptable commute then searched for a house based on that.

Just a heads up on one other thing. I think that it is unlikely but there is an outside chance that Amazon will pick Atlanta for the big second headquarter search they are doing. There has been some talk that if they do that it will have a big impact on parts of the Atlanta housing market. I don't know how likely that really is but you might want to buy your house sooner rather than later just in case they pick Atlanta.

When looking at a house be sure to also check the surrounding areas carefully. There are some expensive areas that may have some dodgy neighborhoods two miles away.

bradshaw1965

Post by bradshaw1965 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:30 am

fortysixandtwo wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:08 am
Rajsx wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 8:18 pm

Definitely have Decatur in our sights. Do you know much about Oakhurst? or Lake Claire?
Oakhurst and Lake Claire are both great places to raise a family. I think Oakhurst is city of Decatur schools? If so, great school system. Lake Claire was gentrified earlier then Oakhurst and probably is a bit pricier.

treypar

Post by treypar » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:15 pm

I recommend that you check out the Dunwoody area near the Sandy Springs MARTA station. Good schools and there is a great farmers market in Sandy Springs on weekends. Great restaurants in the area also.

snackdog

Post by snackdog » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:56 pm

Scroll down to neighborhoods ranked by Walkability score. The area around Georgia State ranks the highest, not surprisingly.

https://www.walkscore.com/GA/Atlanta

SC1959

Post by SC1959 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:14 pm

Drive 100 miles from downtown in any direction and start looking there. I can't even stand driving through Atlanta.

bgf

Post by bgf » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:27 pm

SC1959 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:14 pm
Drive 100 miles from downtown in any direction and start looking there. I can't even stand driving through Atlanta.
ive lived in atlanta and currently live in not-atlanta, georgia. ive been surprised at how much everyone from not-atlanta HATES atlanta.

are other states this way? it is astounding to me how much Georgians despise the single major city in their state...

i went to college in atlanta and loved it there. athens is awesome too.
“TE OCCIDERE POSSUNT SED TE EDERE NON POSSUNT NEFAS EST"

TSR

Post by TSR » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:35 pm

Used to live in Atlanta and loved it. You're looking in the right places. Thoughts that echo a lot of other people's:

--Inman Park
--Cabbagetown (where I lived -- the absolute best)
--Grant Park
--Candler Park
--Decatur
--Virginia Highlands (this is a bit "preppy" for my tastes, but yours may differ)
--Kirkwood
--East Atlanta
--Poncey Highlands

Some of these are "safer" than others. Some are fancier than others. But all are walkable, full of interesting stuff, and great places to live. Only you can know how you feel about you and your family being there. Please feel free to PM me if you need any more thoughts, with the knowledge that I haven't lived there in 8 years.

TSR

Post by TSR » Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:44 pm

bgf wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 3:27 pm
SC1959 wrote:
ive lived in atlanta and currently live in not-atlanta, georgia. ive been surprised at how much everyone from not-atlanta HATES atlanta.

are other states this way? it is astounding to me how much Georgians despise the single major city in their state...

I'm originally from Nashville, which is a place where this anti-Atlanta attitude is very common. In the 70s, 80s, and 90s---the original Atlanta boom---a lot of people in the South visited Atlanta, stayed downtown (the epicenter of the boom!), visited the World of Coke or whatever, then left. The experience was of heavy traffic and urban blight, with little to recommend it given that the downtown sights are not particularly spectacular. Otherwise, we drove through Atlanta on the way elsewhere, and the experience was ONLY of traffic.

It wasn't until I lived there that I realized that Atlanta is incredibly "neighborhoody." If you are someone who prefers urbanity to suburbia, Atlanta is wonderful. You can find a neighborhood that fits your personality. If it's ITP then the traffic isn't bad at all.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:02 pm

I've lived in:

Decatur
Midtown
Virginia Highland
Inman Park
Grant Park (technically Ormewood Park but it's just to the east and a quick walk)

Feel free to ask me any questions about those neighborhoods. I grew up in Atlanta and lived 95% of my adult life there so I can probably answer questions about other neighborhoods as well. Decatur has the best public schools of the neighborhoods mentioned above, but there is a Charter School residents of Grant Park qualify for that is also excellent, although your child isn't guaranteed admission. The schools in the gentrifying neighborhoods (especially VH, Inman Park, and Grant Park) are improving rapidly along with the influx in affluent homeowners so you probably won't have an issue despite low ratings in the recent past. If you like Grant Park, Reynoldstown and Candler Park/Lake Claire are also worth a look. Inman Park is my favorite but also the most $$$. Decatur is definitely the most family friendly and if that's a bit too pricey, Oakhurst is a nice neighborhood nearby with a small central commercial district. If you care about resale, buy something in Grant Park near the not-yet-completed eastside beltline extension. Prices will go crazy once it is completed in however many years they are saying now. Kirkwood and west midtown are really hot right now, too.
Last edited by KyleAAA on Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:12 pm

bgf wrote:
SC1959 wrote:

Yeah, the traffic is much worse in the suburbs and routes to/from the suburbs. When I lived intown we never drove anywhere other than me having to commute to work, and even then you could take back roads. If you live and work in town, you will never really need to deal with traffic if you don't want to.

Watty

Post by Watty » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:26 pm

bgf wrote:
SC1959 wrote:

Part of it could be because the Atlanta metropolitan area has a population just under 6 million but probably less than a million people live inside the perimeter and of those only a couple of hundred thousand people at most live in the desirable areas that have been mentioned in this thread.

sailaway

Post by sailaway » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:31 pm

Watty wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:26 pm
bgf wrote:
SC1959 wrote:

Part of it could be because the Atlanta metropolitan area has a population just under 6 million but probably less than a million people live inside the perimeter and of those only a couple of hundred thousand people at most live in the desirable areas that have been mentioned in this thread.
I lived inside the perimeter the entire time I lived there. Traffic sucked, public transportation sucked, but there are some fun, walkable neighborhoods. In laws lived outside the perimeter. Traffic sucked, public transportation was non existent, and it was boring, but apparently a great way to raise kids with the pool, clubhouse, tennis courts, local schools...

Yellowjacket1

Post by Yellowjacket1 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:22 pm

Atlanta native here and lived here 60 years. Two other neighborhoods you may want to consider are Old Fourth Ward and Little Five Points.

We have a condo in Va - Highlands and I no longer work. One of our neighbors works downtown. According to our neighbor, he started biking to work (15 minutes) as driving the short distance to downtown took him 45 minutes regularly.

PM me with any questions. I also can recommend a great realtor.

Elena

Post by Elena » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:58 pm

fortysixandtwo wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:04 am
Elena wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:14 pm
It seems like it's doing well, I thought prices would be a lot cheaper than they appear to be. We are definitely targeting the inner-burbs from Grant Park to Decatur and close to MARTA hopefully.
My job is also at the heart of downtown, around 1 Peachtree. Fyi, I used to live in the Emory area up until last year, when it was taking me way too long to travel a somewhat short commute, so I moved to the VA-HI area. Best decision ever. As bad as traffic can get, this small (mile-wise speaking) change has made a big difference. Spending one hour to travel very few miles did not make any sense. I noticed it got way worse in the last 5 yrs. (also, I got older and more demanding with my time).
Good luck!

Elena

Post by Elena » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:59 pm

Yellowjacket1 wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:22 pm
Atlanta native here and lived here 60 years. Two other neighborhoods you may want to consider are Old Fourth Ward and Little Five Points.

We have a condo in Va - Highlands and I no longer work. One of our neighbors works downtown. According to our neighbor, he started biking to work (15 minutes) as driving the short distance to downtown took him 45 minutes regularly.

PM me with any questions. I also can recommend a great realtor.
I might be your neighbor, Yellowjacket! :D

Dulocracy

Post by Dulocracy » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:09 am

If it is not too late, I have two suggestions.

I am surprised that no one recommended Vinings, although I guess it is a bit pricier and posher then people on this site might prefer.

The other recommendation is OTP ( outside the perimeter), but it is outside the perimeter in the route that has the absolute least traffic apparently. My wife finds it amusing that her commute to Midtown takes the same amount of time as several friends' commutes, even though those friends are taking city streets to get to work and she is taking the interstate. It is less Urban, but Peachtree City is certainly a walk / bike / golf cart everywhere community. There are Miles and Miles of golf cart / multi-use paths. We do not have a golf cart, but I have a very fancy wagon that I carry my daughters around in. No matter where you live, you have access to the paths that will take you to shopping, a multitude of parks, and anything else that you want. The community as a planned city that was simply cow pasture in the 70s. It was designed so that no matter where you live, you are within a short distance of restaurants, stores, parks, and gas stations. You kind of have to know where the gas stations are, as several are hidden from the road for aesthetic reasons. The same is true for some of the shopping. You drive through trees on a golf cart or bike through trees to get to where you are going. Best of all, the schools are among the very best in the entire state, which was our single largest motivation for moving here. I work OTP on the other side of Atlanta, and my commute really is not that bad, as traffic does not go in the same direction that I do. Obviously that can change, but there is no reason to anticipate that it will change greatly in the near future.
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.

Sam1

Post by Sam1 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:05 pm

KyleAAA wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:12 pm
bgf wrote:
SC1959 wrote:

Yeah, the traffic is much worse in the suburbs and routes to/from the suburbs. When I lived intown we never drove anywhere other than me having to commute to work, and even then you could take back roads. If you live and work in town, you will never really need to deal with traffic if you don't want to.
I call BS on this one. Atlanta is one of the most car centric places I’ve ever lived. I lived ITP. Unless you never went to the grocery store, out to eat, pharmacy, etc then you absolutely drove frequently. The city simply isn’t that dense, there is often hot weather and like the OP mentioned, most neighborhoods don’t have closeby commercial strips. There’s also the issue of safety. It’s not the safest city and since it isn’t densley populated you don’t want to be walking around by yourself at night. Even intown many streets don’t have sidewalks. It’s also why you see so many luxury cars since people spend a lot of time in their cars. It would simply be extremely rare to be able to walk to a grocery store and other amenities from a house in Atlanta unless you lived in a condo high rise in midtown and well then, you really need to worry about safety.

I lived across from some restaurants and my neighbors would drive their cars there even though they could see the restaurant from their house.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:49 am

Sam1 wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:05 pm
KyleAAA wrote:
bgf wrote:
SC1959 wrote:

I call BS on this one. Atlanta is one of the most car centric places I’ve ever lived. I lived ITP. Unless you never went to the grocery store, out to eat, pharmacy, etc then you absolutely drove frequently. The city simply isn’t that dense, there is often hot weather and like the OP mentioned, most neighborhoods don’t have closeby commercial strips. There’s also the issue of safety. It’s not the safest city and since it isn’t densley populated you don’t want to be walking around by yourself at night. Even intown many streets don’t have sidewalks. It’s also why you see so many luxury cars since people spend a lot of time in their cars. It would simply be extremely rare to be able to walk to a grocery store and other amenities from a house in Atlanta unless you lived in a condo high rise in midtown and well then, you really need to worry about safety.

I lived across from some restaurants and my neighbors would drive their cars there even though they could see the restaurant from their house.
Nah, I walked or rode my bike to the grocery store, restaurants, and the pharmacy and so did everyone else. Never really needed to drive that much except to go to work. There's a big difference between living ITP and actually living in the city. I did this in VaHi, Decatur, Grant Park, Midtown, and O4W/Inman Park. Most people just use the beltline and the trail system to get around these days.

Sam1

Post by Sam1 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:41 pm

KyleAAA wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:49 am
Sam1 wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:
bgf wrote:
SC1959 wrote:

Nah, I walked or rode my bike to the grocery store, restaurants, and the pharmacy and so did everyone else. Never really needed to drive that much except to go to work. There's a big difference between living ITP and actually living in the city. I did this in VaHi, Decatur, Grant Park, Midtown, and O4W/Inman Park. Most people just use the beltline and the trail system to get around these days.
I have plenty of friends who live in these neighborhoods and the walkable lifestyle you claim you had simply isn’t common. At all. I am very familiar with these parts of town. If anything, the weather isn’t favorable to walking and biking and it’s NOT a bike friendly city.

People in these neighborhoods do commonly walk to go out to dinner or drinks or to come home. But they do NOT commonly walk or ride their bikes to run errands. It’s why all of the grocery stores in these areas have GIGANTIC parking lots.

People use the beltline to go on walks and maybe out to dinner. However, to claim they use it to “get around” is crazy. It’s like claiming people use the high line to get around. You can’t get to work, school or whatnot via the beltline. Sure there’s a Whole Foods off of it in Ponce highland but only a small number of people are within walking distance from it. The neighborhoods you listed simply aren’t dense enough to only get around by walking or riding your bike.

Your delusional if you’re really telling me “everyone” you know got around in Atlanta via bike and by walking. You may as well tell me they got around by canoe.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:28 pm

Sam1 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:41 pm
KyleAAA wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:49 am
Sam1 wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:
bgf wrote:

I have plenty of friends who live in these neighborhoods and the walkable lifestyle you claim you had simply isn’t common. At all. I am very familiar with these parts of town. If anything, the weather isn’t favorable to walking and biking and it’s NOT a bike friendly city.

People in these neighborhoods do commonly walk to go out to dinner or drinks or to come home. But they do NOT commonly walk or ride their bikes to run errands. It’s why all of the grocery stores in these areas have GIGANTIC parking lots.

People use the beltline to go on walks and maybe out to dinner. However, to claim they use it to “get around” is crazy. It’s like claiming people use the high line to get around. You can’t get to work, school or whatnot via the beltline. Sure there’s a Whole Foods off of it in Ponce highland but only a small number of people are within walking distance from it. The neighborhoods you listed simply aren’t dense enough to only get around by walking or riding your bike.

Your delusional if you’re really telling me “everyone” you know got around in Atlanta via bike and by walking. You may as well tell me they got around by canoe.
I did say "except to go to work," remember? Otherwise, people can and do get around by walking and riding bikes. Indeed, I have never done otherwise. If a 20 minute walk is "too far" for you, perhaps city living isn't your thing. Anything within about 1 mile is defintiely considered walking distance and the weather is perfectly fine for it. There are quite a few neighborhoods where everything you would ever need to do is within a 1 mile radius. Tell me, from VaHi what exactly would I need that isn't within a 20 minute or so walk? The city as a whole is car centric but if you value walkability it is VERY easy to have that lifestyle and there are a number of neighborhoods where that lifestyle is dominant.

drummerboy

Post by drummerboy » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:19 pm

Sam1 wrote:

Do too many people in Atlanta have a "car first" mentality? YES
BUT, is it possible to be more walkable? ABSOLUTELY. And Atlanta has made great strides in this way over the past few years.

Midtown is very walkable, and fairly safe. Walk to supermarkets, restaurants, public transportation, Piedmont Park. Other areas are showing potential too. If you live along the eastside beltline, you can do a lot on foot (or on bike). I know people that use the beltline to get to work.

Since moving to Atlanta, we've dropped one car. It just wasn't getting used. For the few times we needed more than 1 car, one of us got an Uber. Our car gets used 3 days a week (for business meetings outside the perimeter).

Atlanta is getting more dense and walkable all the time. It's going to be a different place over the next decade.