Honda Pilot Airbag Replaced/Now Having Car Issues

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
athan

Honda Pilot Airbag Replaced/Now Having Car Issues

Post by athan » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:03 pm

Last week we had the passenger side airbag replaced at the Honda dealership, due to recall. 2011 Honda Pilot.

Yesterday we started noticing the inside car lights would not go off when we shut off the engine and closed the doors. Today, my wife was driving and the lights went on and off as she went over bumps in the road.

Could this be related to the airbag replacement?

We just called the dealership, and they want $55 just to diagnose the issue, and I'm sure it will be much more expensive from there. Not sure what to do.

Rupert

Re: Honda Pilot Airbag Replaced/Now Having Car Issues

Post by Rupert » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:15 pm

I think you should let them diagnose it. If it turns out they caused the problem when they replaced the airbag and if they're at all reputable (some dealers are, at least somewhat), they should fix it for free and should credit/refund you the $55. If it's an unrelated problem (coincidences do happen and a 2011 is not a new car), then you can always take it somewhere else for the repair.

ElwoodBlues

Post by ElwoodBlues » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:44 pm

You may have already done this, but if not, be sure you double check the switch that controls the interior lights. You should have a switch somewhere (often on an overhead console or one of the dome lights itself) that has settings for On/Door/Off. The repair tech may have switched it off to conserve the battery while working on the vehicle with the door opened for an extended period of time, and then when they finished and switched it back, maybe it didn't quite snap into place?

As for whether the disassembly for replacing an airbag would be in an area that could disturb or damage wiring for the interior lights would depend on which airbags were replaced. For steering wheel or passenger dash airbags, I wouldn't think it would be related. However, if there were side curtain airbags involved, then maybe some of the wiring in the A pillar was damaged in the process? Just a thought.

Note to admins: should this go under Consumer Issues rather than Person Finance?

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Thu Dec 06, 2018 3:34 pm

Glovebox was dropped down and work was done via that area. Could be a wiring harness in that area that was tugged on while plugging in new airbag.